• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

It Could Only Happen On The Settle & Carlisle Line. gave us B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor7

I have just got home from a journey on the 13.18 Leeds to Carlisle. At Ribblehead a party of what I took to be walkers joined the train. As we approached the viaduct a gentleman who seemed to be the leader of the group gave a brief announcement and the whole group began to sing a song about the viaduct which was really quite good. We then got a bit of commentary on the line (I don’t believe he was affiliated with the Friends of the S&C) Then as we approached Dent we got a song about the Terrible Knitters Of Dent “with their hands all gnarled and bent”. By this time the whole carriage was getting involved singing along and applauding. By coincidence another unrelated passenger produced a mandolin and accompanied the singers on “Rolling Home” Then to our amazement the guard came along and produced a pick of cards and regaled us with some magic tricks.

Honestly you could not make this up. It made my day, and made the journey pass by in a delightful way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Could have been worse.

Could have been jazz.

I remember about 6-7 years ago I was on a night train going from/to Munich to/from Italy or Zagreb where we had a jazz group 2 compartments down the train who started playing until like 1am. That was.... something.

Spamcan81

I have just got home from a journey on the 13.18 Leeds to Carlisle. At Ribblehead a party of what I took to be walkers joined the train. As we approached the viaduct a gentleman who seemed to be the leader of the group gave a brief announcement and the whole group began to sing a song about the viaduct which was really quite good. We then got a bit of commentary on the line (I don’t believe he was affiliated with the Friends of the S&C) Then as we approached Dent we got a song about the Terrible Knitters Of Dent “with their hands all gnarled and bent”. By this time the whole carriage was getting involved singing along and applauding. By coincidence another unrelated passenger produced a mandolin and accompanied the singers on “Rolling Home” Then to our amazement the guard came along and produced a pick of cards and regaled us with some magic tricks.

Honestly you could not make this up. It made my day, and made the journey pass by in a delightful way.

Sounds like great fun. Reminds me of riding the 38 bus in London around 15 years ago. An old guy was on his way home from the music shop and entertained us with a few tunes on his concertina.

Condor7

Folking folk music. No place for that on trains. Got to be in breach of a bye law.

I must admit it crossed my mind, especially in this day of so much health and safety in fact I wondered if mentioning it might get the guard in trouble, but I hope not.

Horrific. My idea of hell.

I must admit when it started I thought the same, intrusive even. In fact the guy opposite me had put his bag on the spare seat next to him with his coat over it to make a pillow and was asleep.

However I do think sometimes we do live in isolated world were everyone keeps themselves to themselves and nobody talks to each other as much. After about 5 mins I was won over as we’re most of the others in the carriage and as I mentioned everyone stated getting involved singing along, applauding and taking videos. The guard especially got a terrific cheer after each magic trick.

The other interesting thing was after it was over and they alighted at Appleby the whole carriage started chatting to each other. The guy trying to sleep was called Jay and despite being woken up got into the spirit of it. I found out he runs a restaurant in Carlisle others we chatted to generally where as previously nobody communicated unless with their travelling companion if they had one.

I realise you never will please everyone, but really there just is not enough of this in the world today.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My primary concern on the S&C is when the buffet trolley will be turning up.

Veteran Member
OT: bagpipes on the evening train from Kyle was an experience that sticks in the memory (this was in the 70s and the train was rammed with a party of army cadets or similar from Skye).

philjo

Established Member
The buskers walking though the circle line train playing Christmas carols - one was playing a trumpet which was not good at close range in a confined space ! The journey form Farringdon to Kings Cross never seemed as long as it did on that journey !

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I once had to endure a preacher on a bus. That felt like a very long journey.

Ditto , one very earnest lady on the Northern Line (59 TS) , one freezing Winter morning , standing up and asking if the whole car was "saved" .......

chorleyjeff

I have been entertained a time or two between Preston and Blackpool on trains from Liverpool full of families with children having a good sing song. Also on a relief service bus from Blackpool to Preston non stop when the top deck with lots of kids had a good sing after a day on the beach. Fine from time to time but could get irritating if a regular thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.