• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[IT] Rome

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Buongiorno,

I went to Rome for a few days in January. Among a lot of sight seeing of old stones (Forum Romanum, Palatine Hill, Colloseum, Caracalla Bath), churches (St. Peter's Basilica, Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls) and art (Musei Vativani) I managed to grab some rail impressions

Metro

Metro line B was extended with a new branch last year. A train of the newer rolling stock at the current terminus Conca d'Oro (at the moment an extension that will add one more station is under construction).
_metro_conca_blfy3v.jpg

Interior view: As it's a B line train, the seats are blue. On the A line the seats are orange.
Innenansicht: Linie B, daher Sitze in blau. Auf der Linie A sind sie orange.
_metro_b_innen8uy5f.jpg

The current network consist of two lines (A and B). The lines intersect at the station "Termini" below the central station. Markers on the floor help navigating from one line to the other
_metro_termini_ohilfe7hbla.jpg

Most stations seemed pretty dark to me. A notable exception: The platform of line B at Termini station
_metro_terminiowlhj.jpg

A train of the old rolling stock. Surprisingly enough without graffiti.
_metro_termini_b_no_gxqbp0.jpg

Usually, the trains looked somewhat like this one at "Piramide" station
_metro_pira_b_graphpwaaz.jpg

Line A is completely underground, whereas the B line has sections above ground. B line train at "Basilica Sao Paulo" station.
_metro_palo_b_neuj5znz.jpg

Currently, construction is under was to add a new line (C) to the network. The construction site at the future terminus "Fori Imperiali" (located a few yards away from the Colloseum) offers some information about the new line.
_metro_c_bauzaun_2i8z5m.jpg

_metro_c_bauzaunuqx92.jpg

The train line from station "Porta San Paolo" ti Ostia uses a rolling stock similar to the rolling stock of the metro
_lidoi4b0g.jpg

"My" metro station "S. Agnese / Annibaliano" (located on the new branch of line B)
_st_agn_nameqtyeu.jpg

_st_agn_planvvyjq.jpg

I liked the stations (a bit weird seeming) architecture.
_st_agn_vestdiyp0.jpg

_st_agn_tag_2u6a2e.jpg

_st_agn_tag_1jbbxe.jpg

Tram&Co

Apart from the metro, Rome has a network of six tram lines and the narrow gauge rail line Laziali – Giardinetti
This line runs with headways comparable to the tram and offers a nice motif at station "Porta Maggiore": Little train and big wall
_giar_modell_1ztb5z.jpg

_giar_modell_4q2b94.jpg

_giar_modell_36gykw.jpg

_giar_modell_24bbns.jpg

Several tram line intersect at "Porta Maggiore" too
_tx_magbhaiq.jpg

Tram 3 to "Piazza Ostiense"
_t3_mag_ostienseepna7h.jpg

Tram 5 passing through the remains of the wall at "Porta Maggiore"
_t5_mag_torbgar8.jpg

View from the narrow gauge platform to the tram stop
_t3_mag_2z6yc8.jpg

Vintage stock of tram line 19 at "Risorgimento". The Vatican is just a short walk away
_t19_riskxa8s.jpg

View from a Tiber bridge to another bridge that carries the tram
_tx_bruecke3uxp8.jpg

A tram on the bridge
_t19_bruecke21zld.jpg

Tram 19 at station "Policlinco". This stop provides a transfer to te metro.
_t19_politlzhc.jpg

Modern rolling stock tram 3
_t3_poliznbho.jpg

Tram turned violet by advertising (tram 2, Station Ministero Marina)
_t2_milkakwaby.jpg

Rail Museum
The metro company ATAC runs a little museum at "Porta San Paulo" station. It displays rolling stock from the beginning of the 20th century
_museum_tramk9yq2.jpg

_museum_lokscxbba.jpg

The admission is free (but as the access is via the platform you would need a metro ticket to get in).

Misc Rail
Not that spectacular, but a must see nevertheless. The rail track to the Vatican.
_staz_vaticaneypljt.jpg

A few impression from central station "Termini". This Leonardo Express train will depart for the airport soon (is was running 20min late)
_termini_41rl6h.jpg

Misc rolling stock
_termini_3l4bei.jpg

_termini_245zao.jpg

_termini_1kfy4j.jpg

Trivia

The wrap this up, some non-rail stuff. I had a ticket to attend the general audience with the Holy Father. Atmosphere resembled to the visit of a pop star. Pope Francis seemed to enjoy the welcome. Every few yards the car had to stop and the Pope blessed children or shook hands. For the papal bodyguards live with Francis must be much more challenging than with Benedict.
_franz_1yxybf.jpg

The most famous body guards in the world. Unfortunately, due to rain, only a small glimpse of the colourful uniform
_sgarde5jlpa.jpg

Rome at night. The first stop: The Caracalla Bath,
_carcalla_nacht3uxa9.jpg

I had visited it in the afternoon and was awed by the dimension of the remains. Must have been a pretty big complex.
_carcallav4z0s.jpg

Second stop: The Colloseum
_kollo_nachtvylki.jpg

View from the Palatine Hill
_palatin_kollorayo4.jpg

Early evening impression of the Tiber (taken from the bridge in front of Castel Sant'Angelo)
_pdom_tiber_abend2jbdj.jpg

The same spot, but a few days apart. The constant rain lead to rising water level of the Tiber
_pdom_tiber_1q6yn3.jpg

_pdom_tiber_2l7yyq.jpg

The downpour affected the metro too. Several stations were closed and the trains passed without stopping because of a inch of water on the platforms. B line service were suspended for half a day in the downtown section.

Even in January: Tourists everywhere. In the early afternoon the queue to get into St. Peter was pretty long. I can only guess what it looks like in the summer
_pdom_schlange3dz67.jpg

As I did not want to get in line, I came back in the evening: It was much less crowded than and as an added bonus, I could enjoy the lighting
_pdom_abendc2yu1.jpg

In ancient times, it was a Roman temple - nowadays it is a Catholic church: The Pantheon.
_pantheon3ez0p.jpg

The remains of Circus Maximus (apart from a big green, the is not much left. In the back, the Palatine Hill.
_palatin_maxitlbmn.jpg

Relatively far away from downton (and a bit challenging to get to) but worth a visit: The ancient Roman road Via Appia.
_appia2ubzc.jpg

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum
_habemustjz4v.jpg

That's all folks. I hope you like it. Looking forward to your feedback.

Ciao
Charly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looks like it was a truely an excellent trip, I wouldn't have bothered looking at metro/trams in Roma if I hadn't seen this thread. Well worth a trip over by the looks of it, and some of those night photos were most inspiring!

Thank you for sharing, I've been inspired to visit another part of Europe :D

deltic

Established Member
great pictures - any idea what train actually goes to the Vatican - tracks look relatively shiny

Status
Not open for further replies.