James Cook Hospital - 1 year old

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Skutter, 18 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skutter

Skutter Member

James Cook opened 18th May 2014, 1 year ago. Does anyone know how well it's doing for passenger numbers? It seemed very quiet when I passed through earlier this year.

I was also amused to hear, after the original name changes from "James Cook Hospital Station" to "James Cook", Northern now just announce it as the Hospital.

2. pdeaves

pdeaves Member

I was previously unaware of the change to referring to it as 'James Cook', but following your prompt I've looked it up and both the ATOC journey planner and Northern's network map state just 'James Cook'. Do you know when this change in nomenclature took effect?

Thanks!

3. Paul Duck

Paul Duck Member

22,777 in its 1st year. They refer to the station as James Cook in the timetable but still announce it as James Cook University Hospital.

4. Skutter

Skutter Member

Not long after it opened I think - it's possible the long nameboards were only for Northern publicity purposes. Certainly by the official opening ceremony in July they had been changed.

Thanks for the figure.

5. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

Which organisation would be the best to ask for the feasibility study/business case for this railway station.

6. TBY-Paul

TBY-Paul Member

I don't know who wrote the timetable, but one thing I find strange, anybody doing a search for trains to Middlesbrough around the time visiting time has ends (20.00) has a choice of catching either the 19.33 or 20.40. Yet there's an ECS movement from Nunthorpe to Middlesbrough that leaves Nunthorpe at 20.06 and arrives MBR 20.24.

Surely if the ECS was included in the timetable, and showed as a 20.14 service, it would encourage a few more potential passengers to use the railway.

7. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

That's a respectable amount for an unstaffed station, particularly a new one.

8. 30907

30907 Established Member

Just a hunch. If Northern wanted to run an evening train to Whitby and back, which i believe they occasionally do, the 1830 Newcastle which forms the ECS is perfectly timed for the job as it can make Battersby in time to cross the regular train. Not providing 2 trains 20 min apart at JC gives flexibility.

9. darloscott

darloscott Member

It's likely there will be an evening service once the York Potash project funds the 2nd unit to double the service. Just awaiting approval from North York Moors National Park Authority (30 June is the meeting)

10. bearhugger

bearhugger Member

The long name boards only lasted about a week (if that). I took a few photos of the construction and posted them on the Esk Valley Railway blog. The photos of the long name boards can be seen on this blog post https://eskvalleyrailway.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/james-cook-station-opens/

11. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    i always find it funny the most famous man form the Boro is most famous for getting as far away as possible form the place ;)

12. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Can you blame him?!? :lol:

13. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    you are a bad man!

14. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

The long name boards were there when me and Kofieye visited in June last year. We returned only a few days later and they had been changed

15. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

I took this picture on 23 May 2014 of the sign with the full title when JCUH became the fifth 'J' station on the National Rail system.

Attached Files:

16. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

Assuming it had services for about 330 days in the year, that's about 70 pax a day, 35 on, 35 off.

One has to wonder, however, how many did not pay, given the short time of the trip to Middlesbrough.

Does the JC stop encourage passenger growth from the Esk Valley services? I mean, would a patient from, say Danby be sent to the JC hospital - to be followed by relatives and friends trooping in off the trains?

17. crispy1978

crispy1978 Established Member

Presumably it's used more by staff and visitors than people "following the ambulance"?

22k passengers - that's not a bad number for the first year.

18. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

Probably, but just wondrin'.

Fully agree - it is twice the numbers at Marton, and roughly on par with Gypsy Land and Nunthorpe. I should imagine it's above the expected predictions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.