• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

January Exams

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
Just sat my Additional Science exam, which means I'm finished until the summer exam period. I found it challenging in places, but I often find that if I think an exam is difficult, that's actually a better sign than when you think it's all too easy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
Just sat my Additional Science exam, which means I'm finished until the summer exam period. I found it challenging in places, but I often find that if I think an exam is difficult, that's actually a better sign than when you think it's all too easy!

I hope you did well. :)

More interesting news today. I am in complete disagreement with Michael Gove and his politically motivated 'reforms.' The current system isn't perfect, especially when students can resit exams up to three times, but Cambridge are correct in saying that AS Levels (by which I mean the sciences, not Drama, Law, Media Studies and other awful A Level subjects) serve a useful purpose in challenging students early on in their studies and being a good indicator of progress. Thank goodness I'm not going to be studying A Levels in 2015!

The best comment, in my opinion, is this:
BBC News Comments said:
As an employer the most important skill I look for is the ability to cram as much information as possible and remember it for 2 days. Who would want to employ someone who had learned the skills of completing work in manageable amounts over a period of time. We leave all the work in our office then do it all in a haphazard, mad panic for the last 2 hours of the working week. Nice move Mr Gove

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The current system isn't perfect, especially when students can resit exams up to three times, but Cambridge are correct in saying that AS Levels (by which I mean the sciences, not Drama, Law, Media Studies and other awful A Level subjects)

I'm sorry, I would really call A-level Law an 'awful' subject - it is very challenging in areas and is one of the more intellectual and useful A-levels out there I find - it tends to look good on any uni application or CV, a lot more so than Drama et al: I think it's very unfair to brand the two together.

lemonic

More interesting news today. I am in complete disagreement with Michael Gove and his politically motivated 'reforms.' The current system isn't perfect, especially when students can resit exams up to three times, but Cambridge are correct in saying that AS Levels (by which I mean the sciences, not Drama, Law, Media Studies and other awful A Level subjects) serve a useful purpose in challenging students early on in their studies and being a good indicator of progress. Thank goodness I'm not going to be studying A Levels in 2015!

I think Michael Gove has made a terrible decision. Having taken my A levels only a couple of years ago, I have recent experience of the whole process.

Many people in my year did poorly at their AS levels as they underestimated the jump from GCSE to AS. However, they worked hard at A2 and got a good A level out of it. Without AS levels, these people may have only realised their lack of preparation at the end of their two years at sixth form and then may have missed out on university places etc.

Talking of universities, when dealing with applications, the universities will have to judge people on predicted grades/references which can be misleading as teachers may inflate the predicted grades and may exaggerate on references. Also, degrees are usually very modular in nature as this makes the most sense, so all this talk of modular A Levels being easy or not relevant is simply not true.

I definitely don't expect to vote for the Conservatives at the next election after this decision (and also because of the EU referendum which I don't believe should take place).

Zoe

Established Member
Without AS levels, these people may have only realised their lack of preparation at the end of their two years at sixth form and then may have missed out on university places etc.
Quite a few A Levels were modular before modern AS Levels were introduced. For example Physics when I did it had five theory modules taken in March, June, November, March and June over the two years and a practical exam in May in the second year.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I'm sorry, I would really call A-level Law an 'awful' subject - it is very challenging in areas and is one of the more intellectual and useful A-levels out there I find - it tends to look good on any uni application or CV, a lot more so than Drama et al: I think it's very unfair to brand the two together.

The LSE 'blacklist' is:
  • Accounting
  • Art and Design
  • Business Studies
  • Communication Studies
  • Design and Technology
  • Drama/Theatre Studies
  • Home Economics
  • Information and Communication Technology
  • Law
  • Media Studies
  • Music Technology
  • Performing Arts
  • Photography
  • Physical Eduction
  • Sports Studies
  • Travel and Tourism
  • etc...

Funnily enough that's more stringent than Oxbridge, who are happy to accept Law (and even Business Studies!), but I agree with LSE on all counts. I have studied some of the subjects in that list, but had I known what they were like, I would not have picked them, even though I appreciate that Business Studies and Law (et al.) are harder than Media Studies and Photography (et al.), which to consider A Levels is just insulting on the other hardworking students!

WestCoast

Established Member
Most university degrees are modular as well.

Quite correct, and there is often the opportunity to resit examinations. My University caps the mark of the resit at a pass though, and it can only be done once.

I don't miss A-Levels one bit thinking back, the whole testing process at Uni is just so much more 'robust'. I think the AQA exam board is particularly poor at assessing some arts subjects.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Most university degrees are modular as well.

That's a good point. If linear examinations are so fantastic, one wonders why highly respected universities have not adopted them.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way of examining students. Oxford do 'finals' (linear to the extreme), Cambridge do modular. Both work very well, but A Levels are not comparable!

Zoe

Established Member
There's always the option of a using both methods. When I did A Level Chemistry the final grade was decided by a combination of four modular papers taken over the two years, a final paper at the end of two years covering the entire syllabus and coursework over the two years.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
That's a good point. If linear examinations are so fantastic, one wonders why highly respected universities have not adopted them.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way of examining students. Oxford do 'finals' (linear to the extreme), Cambridge do modular. Both work very well, but A Levels are not comparable!

Exactly. There isn't a right or wrong method. Linear examinations allow a better breadth of the subject to be covered and allow different areas of the subject to to be linked, but modular examinations allow for better depth.

At my university we do modular exams and coursework. If you get below 40% you fail. If you get below 20% you fail and cannot retake. Any retakes are capped at 40%, so you may get every question in the paper right, but still only receive 40%.

HST Power

Established Member
I hope you did well. :)

Thank you. :)

I am fortunate to be sitting modular Maths and Science courses, whereas about 90% of the students in my school sit linear.

I find it easier to have content broken down, with exams throughout the year, rather than bundled up at the end. Though it very much depends on the learning style of the individual.

If it were any subject other than Maths or Science, the linear approach would suit me fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.