• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Japanese 'pushers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think most people have heard of the 'pushers' who force people onto trains in Japan, but have you seen the videos? Quite shocking stuff, and I do wonder if there are any H&S laws over there?!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OFpbveN3ND4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hT51MLgQPXM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BE35onlIySk

I didn't realise the dwell times were so long and they packed people in so much. With dwell times like that, you would have thought capacity would be reduced? It would, surely, make more sense for shorter dwell times and more trains?

And what happens at the next stop? If the next stop is one where not many people get off, but a few want to get off, I imagine there is a big risk of them being unable to do so!

Good job none of them are overweight!! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LondonBVE

Not fall out but move out and those who were being push inside at the previous station will be push out. So if a person need to pass through 8 stations before their destination station, he need to be pushed 8 times before reaching their destination. This is also one of the reason to create a woman-only carriage in case anyone starting to shout pervert because one person unintentionally touch a woman shoulder or any other parts.

Such thing not only happen in Japan but in Singapore a few times but no pushers is used, the doors does the job. ;) Well at least Japan put people inside the train some country's train can put people on top of the train.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think some of these videos are quite old. One of them there I've seen before and dates from 1991. I think they still have those guys pushing people on to trains but the problem is far less widespread now. Of course in places like India the trains are also crowded like that, but they don't care if people ride on the roof or hanging from the sides. Of course that would be a little bit hard in an underground railway ;)

sjbve

I can tell you it's quite a remarkable experience. About two years ago I spend a few days in Tokyo (on vacation), and I have been in these trains.
They go almost every two minutes, sixteen cars long, and in rush hours those pushers are really needed!!

In rushhours they even use trains with extra doors and no seats (more people can fit in when everybody is standing), but it still isn't enough.

It is no use to wait for the next train when the one at te platform is full, as the next one, in two minutes, is equally full of people.;)

bluemeansgo

Actually, it's much better than you would think. 99.9% of Japanese people bathe daily, thoroughly. So, there is no stench often associated with that many people. (Except late at night if the train's full of drunks)

When a train stops, those close to the doors people get off the train to let others out.

That being said, on both my trips there, I haven't seen any pushers.

Actually, during rush hour I found the extra people is a good thing as when the train suddenly moves or brakes you're not thrown off balance, as the people around you as a shock absorber against jerky movement.

The woman-only cars aren't because you might touch a woman's shoulder. It's because there are gropers on the train and generally Japanese women are too embarrassed to scream "groper!" This is particularly so with high school girls, who are the main target. These trains are a safe place for women.

However, this is changin and with steep fines and jail time for gropers as well as advertising campaigns telling women to speak out, this is happening less.

It's used more today than ever.
It's not the most comfortable, but the Japanese are very clean.
Japan actually has a higher obesity rate than the UK, but they are healthier.
It's a good system in my opinion.

bluemeansgo

It's used more today than ever.
It's not the most comfortable, but the Japanese are very clean.
Japan actually has a higher obesity rate than the UK, but they are healthier.
It's a good system in my opinion.

What? Japan does NOT have a higher obesity rate than the UK! Where do you get those stats?

Nope. That's why it's an 'interesting fact'.

I think America just get most of the spam because their leaders are jackass' and most fast food chains are American.

Status
Not open for further replies.