• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

JMB Travel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SarahDFIG

The new buses are being revealed tomorrow in Lanark high street
Lanark High Street? can't think of where they would put a bus on display on Lanark High Street unless they are parking in a bus stop?

Unless they can display vehicles on the large area just down from Greggs?

Last edited:

Bearbus

Here are some photos of one of the new Volvo MCV Evora for JMB Travel in Lanark High Street today. All 9 of them are going on the road on Monday on the 41 Lanark to Hamilton Service.

Attachments

• 20220312_113252.jpg
    20220312_113252.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • 20220312_113200.jpg
    20220312_113200.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 101
  • 20220312_112920.jpg
    20220312_112920.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • 20220312_112713.jpg
    20220312_112713.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 96
  • 20220312_112903.jpg
    20220312_112903.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:

SarahDFIG

Few images of the new vehicles on flickr.

Uploaded by David Oakley

One of The New VOLVO Mcv Evora Jmb Travel Newmains in Lanark High Street today all 9 of them going on the road on Monday on the 41 Lanark to Hamilton Service
They look fantastic. Nice to see an independent operator get new vehicles and also nice to see the spec they have chosen on these rather than opting for an standard spec. Alcoa wheels match perfectly with the paintwork.

Mickcloud9

Good to see Jennifer and Martin are doing well. Good Employers, worked there several times. they always looked after me, despite what other say. As with all bus companies, driver retention is extremely hard given wages and shift patterns. Other than the long hours at JMB, I enjoyed my time there. Even their older darts are looked after well. The buses they have aren't the worst I've driven and were always clean and tidy.

mb88

Doesn’t the 41 already suffer with capacity issues and aren’t these buses shorter than the Darts they’re replacing?

Good to see Jennifer and Martin are doing well. Good Employers, worked there several times. they always looked after me, despite what other say. As with all bus companies, driver retention is extremely hard given wages and shift patterns. Other than the long hours at JMB, I enjoyed my time there. Even their older darts are looked after well. The buses they have aren't the worst I've driven and were always clean and tidy.
This wasn’t my experience when I was there unfortunately. Was absolutely not what I was promised at my interview.

Mickcloud9

Doesn’t the 41 already suffer with capacity issues and aren’t these buses shorter than the Darts they’re replacing?

This wasn’t my experience when I was there unfortunately. Was absolutely not what I was promised at my interview.
Were you interviewed by Mr Macnaught per chance? His ability to over egg the pudding is somewhat unmatched. If I had a quid for every shouting match I had with that man...

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The "short" Evoras are 10.8M so the same size as a typical Dart/E200, however they look shorter since they're on a heavy weight chassis so have larger wheels and longer overhangs, but with a shorter wheelbase. These ones based on the photos seat 36 however they have more forward facing seats than a comparable size E200.

mb88

The "short" Evoras are 10.8M so the same size as a typical Dart/E200, however they look shorter since they're on a heavy weight chassis so have larger wheels and longer overhangs, but with a shorter wheelbase. These ones based on the photos seat 36 however they have more forward facing seats than a comparable size E200.
Thank you, that explains it. I thought the same when I first saw the Whitelaws Evoras.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I intend using the 19a service tomorrow, Sunday the 15th and I'm just wondering how reliable, or not it tends to be and also can anybody confirm that it does or does not start and terminate at Buchanan Bus station stance 40? Various journey planners and timetable websites contradict each other

Finally from a purely enthusiasm point of view, what am I likely to get on this in terms of a vehicle? Other than any privately operated or rail replacement journey of which I can't remember, I've not travelled with this operator

Ta

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I intend using the 19a service tomorrow, Sunday the 15th and I'm just wondering how reliable, or not it tends to be and also can anybody confirm that it does or does not start and terminate at Buchanan Bus station stance 40? Various journey planners and timetable websites contradict each other

Finally from a purely enthusiasm point of view, what am I likely to get on this in terms of a vehicle? Other than any privately operated or rail replacement journey of which I can't remember, I've not travelled with this operator

Ta
Definitely Stance 40 and it is very reliable

Stan_Butler

Ta
Will most likely be a Mercedes Sprinter minibus.

mb88

JMB only have one bus on their 56 today but all 41s running. Shocking!
Doesn’t surprise me one bit. During my (thankfully very short) stint working there it was not uncommon for me to be the only 56 on the road in the afternoon as all the others had been pulled in so the drivers could cover a school. I’m amazed the whole service hasn’t been withdrawn by now to be honest.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Doesn’t surprise me one bit. During my (thankfully very short) stint working there it was not uncommon for me to be the only 56 on the road in the afternoon as all the others had been pulled in so the drivers could cover a school. I’m amazed the whole service hasn’t been withdrawn by now to be honest.
Have they kept just to drain away at First's 266? I don't think there's much money beyond Newmains for even one operator let alone 2 but it's the only reason I can think of to be honest.

Transco

It used to be a given that a 56 would be in front of a First 266 in Shotts. First drivers need to earn their wage up there now.

Are JMB not running to Shotts any more? Been waiting for a 56/800 but that's two in a row not shown up now :frown:
Nothing in the website to suggest service disruption and the app doesn't seem to be working.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Are JMB not running to Shotts any more? Been waiting for a 56/800 but that's two in a row not shown up now :frown:
Nothing in the website to suggest service disruption and the app doesn't seem to be working.
Not a single 56 has tracked on Bustimes since JMB Travel started tracking last week, I knew the 56 was prone to being cancelled due to driver shortages but I hadn't realised it was so bad to the point where its not running at all despite being registered and advertised!

PaulMc7

Established Member
South/North Lanarkshire must be a fairly competitive area for drivers to be fair given that you have First there along with Stuart's of Carluke and other smaller companies. JMB were also one of the ones that made the news about how uncertain the future of their company could be without funding and the driver shortages so I can't imagine it makes them top of the list to go to for that reason.

markymark2000

On Moderation
South/North Lanarkshire must be a fairly competitive area for drivers to be fair given that you have First there along with Stuart's of Carluke and other smaller companies. JMB were also one of the ones that made the news about how uncertain the future of their company could be without funding and the driver shortages so I can't imagine it makes them top of the list to go to for that reason.
If they know they can't operate a service though, they should be informing the public of that and if that shortage will go on for a considerable time, put in place reduced timetables. The thing with JMB is that they have a lot of contracts to fulfil so commercial is not looked at as much and then 56 is covered entirely by other routes so it's bottom of the barrel to cover.

Not a single 56 has tracked on Bustimes since JMB Travel started tracking last week, I knew the 56 was prone to being cancelled due to driver shortages but I hadn't realised it was so bad to the point where its not running at all despite being registered and advertised!
Oh right. There was a 56 ran in the opposite direction just before I left Shotts which I would assume turns into an 800, but by that point I'd been waiting about 50 minutes and the last bus from Shotts back east was due soon, which was my backup option, so I'd already walked to the other stop for that.

I checked just afterwards though on their app and that vehicle was tracking for neither the 56 or 800.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If they know they can't operate a service though, they should be informing the public of that and if that shortage will go on for a considerable time, put in place reduced timetables. The thing with JMB is that they have a lot of contracts to fulfil so commercial is not looked at as much and then 56 is covered entirely by other routes so it's bottom of the barrel to cover.
I agree with that to be fair. They aren't the only ones guilty of not making timetable changes based on what drivers they have available to be fair. I actually don't think there's any who've done it enough out of the ones in the area that JMB operate in.

I think operators seem to be getting away with a lot from the traffic commissioner on that front. Yes, the problem is UK wide but realistic timetables are a must.

Stan Drews

Established Member
I agree with that to be fair. They aren't the only ones guilty of not making timetable changes based on what drivers they have available to be fair. I actually don't think there's any who've done it enough out of the ones in the area that JMB operate in.

I think operators seem to be getting away with a lot from the traffic commissioner on that front. Yes, the problem is UK wide but realistic timetables are a must.
The ability to change regular timetables at short notice is no longer available to operators, so they have to predict a minimum of 10 weeks into the future! I suspect the TC is aware of that, hence the soft approach being taken.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The ability to change regular timetables at short notice is no longer available to operators, so they have to predict a minimum of 10 weeks into the future! I suspect the TC is aware of that, hence the soft approach being taken.
Things can change quickly but this has been ongoing for well over a year now with JMB being short on drivers. The TC is being soft because they have become spineless, not enforcing anything properly for a number of years, including pre covid, hardly any enforcement seemed to take place.

PaulMc7

Established Member
This may be true but realism needs to be factored in here with timetables and it just isn't at the moment which is why I'm surprised the TC are so eased off at the moment.

lastbus

They put all the 41s on and leave 56s off. Most people in Shotts now get First. If you can’t run it take it off.