• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joanne Macguire appointed as ScotRail Chief Operating Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG

Established Member
ASLEF don't seem to happy about the position being filled by someone external to the rail industry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-59730295

A rail union has criticised the choice of a new chief operating officer for the public body set to take control of Scotland's railway system.

Joanne Maguire, who currently has a senior role with a university, will take up her new position when Abellio's contract to run ScotRail ends.

But Aslef described the decision to appoint someone with no experience of running the railways as "a huge error".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
At the risk of being shot down by other members, I'm going to take the plunge and say that I don't think this is neccesarily a bad thing. The rail industry is stuck in the past in so many ways, and bringing in someone external who will likely have a completely different point of view and expertise could be a good thing.

Lets wait to see how she performs in the role before writing her off. She could well be a disaster for the role, but equally she could also do it very well. We won't know either way until she's been in the role for some time.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We shall see, but personally I would say you want someone with industry experience in the COO (Chief Operating Officer) role. The CEO/chair of the board less so as that is a more general business role.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
RMT are just unhappy someone might bash some heads together, I expect.

I think COO is a misnomer. It is not the same as Chief Operations Officer.
Yes it is, those are the same job title essentially. COO is the CEO’s right hand man (or woman!), and the role has nothing to do with “operating trains”.

stu77

I think experience in the rail industry should be essential for this role. Running colleges and universities for previous experience doesn’t fit for me.

Christmas

Yes it is, those are the same job title essentially. COO is the CEO’s right hand man (or woman!), and the role has nothing to do with “operating trains”.
If you had bothered to read the original post properly or even clicked on the article, you might have noticed that it's ASLEF that is being discussed, not RMT. But let's not allow anti-union bias to get in the way of the facts.

Gems

If you had bothered to read the original post properly or even clicked on the article, you might have noticed that it's ASLEF that is being discussed, not RMT. But let's not allow anti-union bias to get in the way of the facts.
PMSL. Nothing further to add.

Give the woman a chance I say. I mean it's not as if ASLEF are worth listening to anyway. Who would want to listen to a union that will happily sell out other unions for ten pieces of silver.

ajrm

According to the article in her current role she is responsible for 'finance, human resources and industrial relations'—all of which are likely to be critical things to deal with in her new job. What's the problem?

Christmas

Give the woman a chance I say. I mean it's not as if ASLEF are worth listening to anyway. Who would want to listen to a union that will happily sell out other unions for ten pieces of silver.
I'm guessing you're referring to the Southern situation? ASLEF official policy is no extension of driver only operation, so it will be interesting to see what happens when Barrhead and East Kilbride go electric.

Getting back to the point, the new appointment may well already be aware that trying come in to the railway and change ways of working that go back decades will be met with fierce resistance.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
ASLEF, not RMT, then (how awful to conflate the two in a reply), but the point remains the same. PS: I’m the son of an ASLEF DO, so nothing whatsoever anti-union from my side!

Getting back to the point, the new appointment may well already be aware that trying come in to the railway and change ways of working that go back decades will be met with fierce resistance.
Well obviously, it’s what they’re being brought in to do!

Yes, they became very unpopular in your neck of the woods! (And rightly so)

Wynd

At the risk of being shot down by other members, I'm going to take the plunge and say that I don't think this is neccesarily a bad thing. The rail industry is stuck in the past in so many ways, and bringing in someone external who will likely have a completely different point of view and expertise could be a good thing.

Lets wait to see how she performs in the role before writing her off. She could well be a disaster for the role, but equally she could also do it very well. We won't know either way until she's been in the role for some time.

I share this perspective. I hope she is a progressive who will see that more seats, services and ultimately lines is the way to grow the use of rail in Scotland.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
RIP "The Career Railwayman /Railwaywoman"

Under BR this is a post such a person could aspire to - not now it seems.

lordbusiness

Don't know her and a quick search of the web doesn't reveal much about her and her politics, although one could suspect this is as much of a political appointment as much as a professional one.

IF she is from the left leaning side of the house- as many in the education sector are, the unions might find that there is more fertile ground in the upper echelons?

Two things for certain though, 2022 will be an interesting year for Scotland railways and she's going to have her work cut out!

Established Member

That’s not really what happened though, is it!?

But let’s not let the facts get in the way of your anti ASLEF bias.

GordonT

I share this perspective. I hope she is a progressive who will see that more seats, services and ultimately lines is the way to grow the use of rail in Scotland.
An "Outsider" being appointed to a key position on the railway is hardly a new manifestation. Some have excelled others have been a disaster. Ditto for those who have been promoted internally.

hi2u_uk

It seems that there is a bit of fuss that the new chief operating officer of scotrail Joanne Maguire has no rail industry experience. Do you think rail industry experience is needed for such a job :idea:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
According to the article in her current role she is responsible for 'finance, human resources and industrial relations'—all of which are likely to be critical things to deal with in her new job. What's the problem?
Perhaps she shall function a bit like a conductor who does not have to play an instrument, besides there is lots of expertise in her management team, I hope.

"Plus One" generally for female managers!

Deltic1961

Knowing the SNP the appointment will be hugely political and tick boxes
The standard these days.

steamybrian

Established Member
It seems that there is a bit of fuss that the new chief operating officer of scotrail Joanne Maguire has no rail industry experience. Do you think rail industry experience is needed for such a job :idea:
Yes- I consider that railway (or transport) industry experience for that position is a essential quality. Knowledge of operating procedures, railway geography, timetable planning and basic understanding of rules/signalling. Whilst there are senior managers who she can consult with but..... there are times she may be on her own.

Carntyne

Yes- I consider that railway (or transport) industry experience for that position is a essential quality. Knowledge of operating procedures, railway geography, timetable planning and basic understanding of rules/signalling. Whilst there are senior managers who she can consult with but..... there are times she may be on her own.
When will she be on her own? The COO will run ScotRail Trains Ltd, not the railway. She'll have an operations director for that.

Having no prior relationships within the business may work in her favour.

6Z09

Are the RMT unhappy as well??
I know ASLEF are ,but not seen any quotes from the RMT!

Falcon1200

Established Member
Given the frequency with which all the railway trade unions criticise the way the railway is run, and therefore by extension the railway's managers, one would think they would welcome a different approach ?

Wonder if Alex Hymes was in the frame or is he the fall guy for the Scotrail conductor fiasco?

Alex Hynes is employed by Network Rail and is the Managing Director of Scotland's Railways (formerly known as the ScotRail Alliance).

The Chief Operating Officer role is below the Managing Director role.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Alex Hynes is employed by Network Rail and is the Managing Director of Scotland's Railways (formerly known as the ScotRail Alliance).

The Chief Operating Officer role is below the Managing Director role.
Thanks for clarifying.

GordonT

I notice that Twitter complaints about the 140 or so staff shortage related service cancellations today on ScotRail are increasingly interspersed with interjections such as "Don't panic!! The dinner lady from Paisley college will sort it all out..."

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's fairly common in business to appoint someone at C-suite level from another industry where they've gained considerable management experience, even if the end products aren't altogether similar. This is one strategy among many that might be deployed to effect some larger changes.

What has been decided on in this case and why, of course, I don't know.

Those things aren't necessarily prerequisite of being a good leader. It can occasionally be helpful to have someone who doesn't know your business inside out, because they will be free of entrenched expectations.

Falcon1200

Established Member

That view is understandable, but such requirements hugely reduce the number of people available for such a role, and if their knowledge of railway geography is to include Scotland, reduce the number even further. At her level the new COO will not be directly involved in the day to day operation of the railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.