• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre raise threat level

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Threat level to the UK from international terrorism raised to SEVERE

The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) has changed the UK threat level from international terrorism from SUBSTANTIAL to SEVERE.

The current threat level means that the threat of a terrorist attack is considered to be highly likely.

The Home Secretary said in a statement:

"JTAC has today raised the threat to the UK from international terrorism from SUBSTANITIAL to SEVERE. This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, although there is no intelligence to suggest that an attack is imminent."

For more information on the change of the threat level, see the Home Office's press release.
Widely reported this afternoon that the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) have raised the UK National threat level to Severe meaning a terror attack is highly likely. This follows the announcement that yesterday’s incident at Liverpool Women’s Hospital being declared as a terrorist incident.

With the view to start a general discussion, what is the feeling of the forum membership towards the threat level? Will you change your day to day life as a result? What impact do you foresee it having upon your life?

TP

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST274

If I am completely honest I was not aware this had happened until I saw this post. As to how I will act, I personally will change little except perhaps to be more vigilant around large crowds. But I won't stop or start doing anything else.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Being honest I don't see it as having any effect for me. Mainly for two reasons.

The first being that realistically, even in a "high risk" period, as an individual I am pretty unlikely to suffer the direct effects of a terrorist attack. That isn't to diminish the effects but the number of people injured or killed by terrorism in this country is so tiny compared to our population. You are probably more likely to be run over when walking to the shop or something!

And secondly if I do let it have an impact on how I live me lift - they have won. A lot of what I do socially (going to football and rugby matches - some of which pretty high profile, going to watch live music - again some of which will be high profile events) and so if I was to do anything significantly different I would have to avoid most forms of entertainment I go to, which simply is not going to happen!

In terms of recent history I was probably more affected by something like the Bataclan attack than anything in this country purely because large concert venues are something that I often go to and some of the victims were sadly known by some of my friends.

jfollows

Established Member
Uninterested, no and none.

I find the threat level a meaningless term, it obviously means something to someone, but in isolation it's meaningless.

The OP asks the right questions - does it matter and will it make me change my life? No and no. But under different circumstances it might, but for 99%+ of the population it shouldn't have any effect at all.

EDIT I used to work in a scientific centre which was run by the UK government, so it had a sign on the approach road saying something like "The threat level is - SEVERE" or whatever. I asked someone if they understood what it meant and what the implication on those of us who worked there was. They didn't know, nor did I. I suspect it fell under a "all government buildings must display the threat level" edict. Personally, for that location at least, I felt it was silly and demeaned the purpose of the thing - presumably as I and others have said in this thread it's meaningful to some people in some ways, but just having a sign at the front of a low-security scientific institution felt silly to me anyway.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I presume it's more of relevance to police etc for level of alertness/preparedness. Not much to worry about (or worth worrying about) for everybody else.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I presume it's more of relevance to police etc for level of alertness/preparedness. Not much to worry about (or worth worrying about) for everybody else.
This.

As an aside I miss the Bikini alert levels. Seeing “Bikini Black Special” on a big sign in military guardrooms always made me chuckle.

Kite159

Veteran Member
All it might mean for me is the soldiers on the gate at camp might actually look at my security pass when I drive onto camp.:lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No impact on my life. It should have no impact on the lives of anyone except security people.

PS - might have helped to raise it before the recent explosion ;)

GB

Established Member

I maybe wrong but I seem to recall reading/hearing a long time ago that the ‘threat level’ is purely to convey a public message and isn’t something the security services or police use as something to act on. I could be wrong or that could have changed.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I use CONSTANT VIGILANCE at all times anyway. The only thing I haven't done yet is gotten a false eye that can see through walls

Status
Not open for further replies.