• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

jointed track in yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

metromuppet

hi all
is there much jointed track left up in the leeds doncaster nottingham sheffield area?
Does anyone know of any jointed track that has any pacers going over that route?
Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
hi all
is there much jointed track left up in the leeds doncaster nottingham sheffield area?
Does anyone know of any jointed track that has any pacers going over that route?
Many thanks.
What an odd request, if you're constipated there are plenty of over the counter remedies you can get. Asking for one at a pharmacy is far less embarrassing than travelling by pacer :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think there is some on the Joint Line ( Doncaster - Lincoln via Gainsbourough ); I have a friend who lives in Saxilby; I'll ask him.

And, OP, like me you enjoy a lively ride, then?:)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are a few bits on the Leeds - Harrogate line, the first section as far as Burley park can be quite fun in a pacer, and there is another section closer to Harrogate but I can't remember where exactly :oops:

GNERman

Established Member
There are a few bits on the Leeds - Harrogate line, the first section as far as Burley park can be quite fun in a pacer, and there is another section closer to Harrogate but I can't remember where exactly :oops:

Basically the whole Harrogate Line is from Skelton Junction...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Basically the whole Harrogate Line is from Skelton Junction...

I wouldn't have said the whole line was jointed, there are few long sections for sure, but there are also a few long sections which aren't.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
penistone and hallam lines? i think some of hallam just been upgraded but not all of it, it can be very fun on a pacer sometimes

Ploughman

Established Member
Not that much of the Harrogate - Skelton line is jointed.
Most of it is CWR and a fair proportion of the Huddersfield - Penistone - Barnsley line is CWR as well.
Although there are some stretches of jointed.
The York - Scarborough and Hull - Seamer still have some jointed track dating back to 1931.

metromuppet

Many thanks guys- As a southerner, the pacers are a novelty and as jointed track is becoming more rare I would like a few more rides on a pacer!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at the thought of a Pacer being a novelty :(

Established Member
Get on the Bishop Auckland line, lots of jointed bits and 95% of the time a Pacer. If you were really hardcore, you could do Bishop Auckland - Stanhope on another type of Pacer as well.

Bedpan

Established Member
I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at the thought of a Pacer being a novelty :(

They definitely are a novelty for those of us living in the south. I've only ever been on one once, from Wigan to Bolton, which was quite an experience particularly as the line has sections of jointed track. As for discomfort - I can't say that I found it that bad (although this may have been because of the novelty of travelling on it). Infinitely more comfortable than the Class 139 to Stourbridge Town which is the worst boneshaker I have ever travelled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.