• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee and Met weekend closures

Status
Not open for further replies.

urban469

The Jubilee work has now been completed, hasn't it. So the weekend closures on both lines are for the Neasden work, aren't they?

Any idea how long these dual-line closures are going to go on for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubefan2013

I think the closure is due to some works in the Neasden depot points. I think its outragous after years of weekend closures, there is still more planned closures I am afriad.

Clip

Established Member
I wonder if the Tube Upgrade Plan will end up being a 'Forth Bridge Job'!

In essence of course it will. Over the whole network they will need to upgrade worn out things, its par for the course.

If they could do it all in a year that would be xcellent but what do you do with the trained staff? you cant just tell them to come back in another 20 years when it will need to start being fixed again. Just keep the works rolling on.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Still a few dual-line closures:
2-3 March: Wembley Pk bullhead rail replacement
16-17 March: Wembley Pk bullhead rail replacement
29-1 March/April: Neasden

Tom B

Established Member
I suspect that even if it is not admitted as such now, it will end up being like the Forth Bridge.

TfL will realise that during this time, passengers have become accustomed to regular inconvenience and disruption at weekends and hope that nobody complains loudly enough to continue in the future.

Presumably the losses they incur (in, for instance, running railway replacement buses and not collecting fares) are less than the gains (not having to pay more staff a premium to work at night, better productivity etc).

Manchester77

Established Member
I think the closure is due to some works in the Neasden depot points. I think its outragous after years of weekend closures, there is still more planned closures I am afriad.

Not really thats what you get after years of deprivation of actual upgrades.

It's not like they're not warned closures are planned way in advance with people knowing at least 6 months in advance

Tubefan2013

I think its not fair after years of closures, thousands of hours of downtime that the Jubilee line has yet more weekend closures.

Nym

Established Member
OK then, cancel the closures and power upgrades, then nothing will actually work in about 10 years when it falls to peices, and in the next couple of years where in service failures sky rocket for life expired kit, I'm sure you'll complain much more...

Clip

Established Member
I suspect that even if it is not admitted as such now, it will end up being like the Forth Bridge.

As far as I am aware ALL railway maintenence will be like 'The Forth Bridge'

It has to be, un less you really think that once its been upgraded it will never have to be touched again for 30 years.

urban469

Not really thats what you get after years of deprivation of actual upgrades.

It's not like they're not warned closures are planned way in advance with people knowing at least 6 months in advance

You're absolutely right. A generation of neglect (from the 60s to the early 90s) means we're paying the price now. The upgrade needs to be done.

But there are three big caveats here. First, the Jubilee Line upgrade has gone on far, far too long (ten years this year, if I'm right). Mainly because of the PPP disaster.

Secondly, the 6 month calendar is hopelessly misleading. It currently says that there are no Jubilee closures between the end of March and the end of July. That will change. Closures are frequently added in around one month ahead of time.

And thirdly, there has been no clarity from TfL on what the hell is going on with the Jubilee Line and when the closures will end. Customers need to understand why it's important, what work is being done and how long we'll have to suffer for – vague posters about the upgrade programme aren't good enough. We were told 2 years ago that the Jubilee Line closures had finished. Remember this? http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/19856.html

Manchester77

Established Member
For the jubilee line you could say since the extension. The main reason for the delay was the Westinghouse ATO had issues so you had to implement Fixed Block

lonogrol

The Jubilee line page of the 'Tube Upgrade Plan' microsite says:
"While the Jubilee line upgrade is now complete, track renewal work and other heavy maintenance to keep the Tube safe and reliable will continue. Closures to sections of the Metropolitan line may on occasion cause additional closures on part of the Jubilee line."

London Underground used to publish videos via the Transport for London youtube channel about the reasons for weekend closures. Looking at the viewing figures even now it seems hardly anyone watched them. They haven't done many recently.

Manchester77

Established Member
I know. You see I don't understand why people want no closures and better services
They need to live in the real work :roll::lol:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And thirdly, there has been no clarity from TfL on what the hell is going on with the Jubilee Line and when the closures will end. Customers need to understand why it's important, what work is being done and how long we'll have to suffer for – vague posters about the upgrade programme aren't good enough. We were told 2 years ago that the Jubilee Line closures had finished. Remember this? http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/19856.html

Looking at that link, it says

'We know this upgrade has often been difficult and I'd like to thank Londoners and Jubilee line customers for their patience as we approach this final milestone.

'I'm also determined that this heralds the end of the 'PPP-era' upgrades, and that we will work together to deliver far fewer closures and much less disruption in future.'

Given that's the best part of two years ago, presumably these aren't 'PPP-era' closures.

I suppose it depends how often these closures happen.

I know closures of this type can be annoying - I seem to have been moving round to country to catch as many NR ones as I can (Slough-Maidenhead slow line evenings and weekens, Hitchin-Stevenage Sundays, Airedale line Sundays).

Daniel

Established Member
The Metropolitan line's engineering works this weekend have been cancelled, owing to industrial action by engineering train drivers. A special timetable has been sent out with 4 trains running from Uxbridge to Harrow-on-the-Hill.

Julian G

Established Member
From the TfL Planned Engineering Works webpage
"Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 January, no service between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge. Rail replacement buses operate. A limited train service runs between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Uxbridge.

Saturday
Trains will run between 07.15 and 23.45
Trains will leave Uxbridge at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour.
Trains will leave Harrow on the Hill at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour.

Sunday
Trains will run between 08.15 and 24.00
Trains will leave Uxbridge at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour.
Trains will leave Harrow on the Hill at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour."

Simon11

Established Member
Just wanted to make sure before I head out as the tfl website was still saying incorrect info last night!

urban469

The Metropolitan line's engineering works this weekend have been cancelled, owing to industrial action by engineering train drivers. A special timetable has been sent out with 4 trains running from Uxbridge to Harrow-on-the-Hill.

A rare occasion where industrial action by drivers means more services ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.