• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
16/11/2021 - Tech's November Gran Fondo Ride

Welcome to a slightly different trip report for this edition, which features more cycling than trains but it still felt like it ought to be a tale shared.

So what is a Gran Fondo I hear you all ask. Until I started doing challenges on Strava, I too had never heard of such a thing. It is a 100km cycle ride in one single ride, with breaks of course being permitted. The rule is that it has to be done in one session, not multiple rides. I try to fit one in in most months, and it became tradition earlier in the year that such a ride features plenty of new coverage. I had spent quite some time planning my Gran Fondo ride for November 2021, and even on the day itself I had lots of ideas.

The only thing I knew for sure was that it would start in Newport (South Wales) as I had booked tickets and cycle spaces. Eventually, around an hour before I had to be at the station, I booked the train ticket back to Newport from Bath Spa. There had been a big Nectar points bonus offer if I booked through the special offer in the app, so instead of 22 points I would get 154 for my £11-something Advance. Granted, due to my choice of trains I would have only 6 and a bit hours to get to Bath Spa from Newport and achieve the necessary 61 miles, but I was confident.

An unexpected sight greeted me at Hereford, with filthy 66846 and 66849 on a southbound RHTT working. If you didn't know beforehand that they are Colas locomotives, you'd barely be able to tell thanks to the filth covering the livery!

Onto the 0901 from Hereford then, which had 82216 in Hope House livery on the front, and the journey to Newport was over in no time at all. Once I had identified the 67 as 67008, I was outside and on the way in no time. It was rather chilly outside, and no heating in the front MK4 had not helped! Before too long, I was on National Cycle Network Route 47 along the riverfront, and after 1.8 miles I was near enough to the Transporter Bridge to get a photo. Shortly after that, I joined Route 4 which I was due to spend a lot of time on, but I'm getting way ahead of myself there. The ride was nothing spectacular to begin with, and after a while it goes through the Newport Wetlands. Which I did not know existed, but to be honest what I saw was nothing to be excited about.

After that sector, it was onto the roads through the Gwent Levels, and eventually I was in the village of Redwick. Tiny little place, but at least I could now visualise where I was on the map. Same for a sign pointing me towards Bishton and Magor, two names I knew thanks to the railway. Oh, and I daresay you all to say Magor without doing the Sega thing and going "MAGOR!" which I could not resist!

15 miles in, after a lengthy journey along a farm road, and I had reached Severn Tunnel Junction. This was my first break point, and I was slightly ahead of target for mileage. The break was marred by the smell of weed however, and I'll not get started on that or we'll be here all day. Back I went to the junction I had missed, and the path took me to Caldicot railway station, underneath the railway the clearance is very limited (5'9") so I ducked as low as I could! This was my first observing of the town of Caldicot, it looked like a nice place and worth a look around one day.

Soon enough, once I had navigated my way through suburban Caldicot, I arrived at Caerwent which I didn't see much of, but it too looked worthy of a fuller investigation one day. After 21 miles, and a third of the way to the target mileage, I pulled over and I could see the Severn Bridge in the distance. A sign pointed me back towards the way I had come on Route 4, but for the way to Chepstow the sign was missing. I went with my by-now-famously-wrong sense of direction, and that took me to a busy road and up a lengthy steep hill towards Chepstow's outskirts.

I saw a big blue sign on the roundabout where the A466 branches off, I've no idea what road I had arrived on, this sign pointed me to Aust which it suggested was 3 and a half miles away via the Severn Bridge. Oh good, I was back on course and I would not need to tackle the rollercoaster hills of Chepstow itself. No wonder it was a good site for a castle and so on, no one with sense would try to invade such a place with those hills!

I was soon at the bridge which carries the M48 over to England, and there appears to be both north and south sides to the shared use paths over the bridge. Today at least, the north side was not open and it was down the steep ramp to go under the bridge and up the other side. This was to be the highlight of the ride, I'd been wanting to do this for far too long!

I was soon very pleased with my choice, much like Rainbow Bridge in Tokyo the views are worth the effort. OK so the view over the Mouth of the River Severn isn't as grand as the skyline of Tokyo, but to be able to view the English coast, Welsh coast and the Second Severn Crossing which the M4 uses all in one place was great. I had to stop and grab a photo, which doesn't do the scene justice, but I recommend doing the walk or cycle ride just for the view. I wouldn't fancy doing the ride on a windy or wet day though, which is one reason why it has taken until now to get it done, it just hasn't been possible to fit it in before.

Shortly after, feeling very satisfied with that experience, I encountered the first of my diversions today. This took me along part of Route 41, then part of Route 410 (Avon Cycleway) I do believe before rejoining Route 41 along very quiet and rural country lanes towards Severn Beach. When I say rural, I mean it, lots of farms around and that meant lots of mud too. My poor bike, I had got it gleaming the day before this ride and now it was covered in muck already. Well I needed something to do on my day off I guess!

Back onto Route 4 eventually, and after 32 and something miles I had had enough, I needed food badly. A protein shake sure helped as did some food, a proper good 15 minutes or so with no bag on my back really helped that a lot. Soon enough, I needed to get going, and I found myself missing a turn by the looks of it. There were flood defence works along the seafront at Severn Beach, so when I could get no further I discovered just how far from Bath Spa I actually was. Yikes…

Fortunately I was soon back on Route 4, and this took me through a lot of warehousing areas. The new Travelodge looks very out of place! I was also not aware of the existence of the M49 before now, is this a relatively new motorway or am I just being naive? A bit further on, I briefly rejoined Route 410 and I found I was still not even close to Cribbs Causeway. By now, the lack of caffeine was hitting hard and the surprisingly steep climb towards Henbury really zapped me. It's fair to say I was glad of some easier going cycling, and dismounting around works for new housing was quite handy to give certain muscles a break!

A few miles on, and I was still on Route 4 and I eventually found my way through suburbia to somewhere in the Southmead area. I was getting hacked off by unclear and missing signage now, and all of a sudden it all dried up for Route 4. I went back to trusting my wayfaring senses, and followed signs for the city centre. Somewhere along the way, I pulled over and got Maps going on, spurred on to do so when I saw a 73 bus going towards Bristol Temple Meads. Which was the direction I wanted, but the bus was going the other way.

It turned out I'd managed to ride away from the centre of Bristol, but not in the right direction. Maps gave me a route and I must say right now I didn't realise how hilly Bristol is! Somewhere in the Frenchay or Fishponds area, I saw a sign reading 'Bristol and Bath Railway Path' which is what I was looking for. Oh good, at last I can get that done too. I wouldn't be doing the whole route, granted, but it could be completed another day, I'm bound to come back to Bristol one day to head towards the South West anyway.

I was soon onto the path, and I was on 50.6 miles I think at that point. More nutrition was by now needed, as was caffeine but that wasn't an option. Having fuelled up, I got going again and was soon forcing the legs to get pedalling. They weren't wanting to, and the ache in the back of the neck and in the lower back was getting tedious.

Somewhere around Staple Hill Road I do believe, there were works which started this week for 8 weeks, so there was a diversion. I made that to be 3 diversions so far on this ride, and thankfully it was well signed with those little red pedestrian signs used for roadworks. I think the route was rejoined around Signal Road, but don't quote me on that. Once back on the path, it was time to drop the hammer, to put the power down, to enter Maximum Power Mode. Time was going by far too fast, and I had a fair few miles to go yet.

I was soon at Warmley, and sadly I didn't note the location where the route to Yate had branched off as it had a triangular junction station which needed fuller investigation. Time was too short to stop for a photo there, but I did manage a quick one at Warmley. The cafe was tempting, but I just couldn't risk missing the train back to Newport. Onwards and upwards, despite the legs not liking me any more.

I soon found myself by Oldland Common on the Avon Valley Railway, which warranted a photo. I noted amongst other things a Class 07 (07010 I think) and two Class 31s which I didn't get a chance to ID. A quick photo at the south end of Bitton station, despite the body's plea for a cuppa, was grabbed before I kept up the charge for Bath Spa. I was reportedly 7 miles from Bath and I had a vision of missing the 1611 out of Bath with the need of buying another ticket.

So I resolved to thrash away as fast as I could, and once I saw a sign telling me I was 4 miles away I got a bit of a second wind of enthusiasm. I soon saw the mainline and a pair of Turbos heading west saw me get a bit hyper and exclaimed my joy! Every mile was getting challenging now, but eventually I came away from the path briefly before joining the path alongside the river.

Oh look, a diversion! Four diversions in one ride is unheard of for me, but I was soon around that and pedalling away into the centre of Bath Spa. The glorious architecture soon welcomed me to the area, and after a brief trek away from the centre I was soon parked up outside Bath Spa railway station, 65 and something miles done. The Gran Fondo was mine, as was the 400km challenge on Strava for November 2021. I only had the 30 hour challenge to complete and I would be done with the month's challenges much quicker than expected!

After locking up the bike, following my arrival at 1544 so approximately 5 hours and 50 minutes after leaving Newport, I picked up my ticket to Newport and initially I was going to the cafe across the road for my long-awaited cuppa. I figured I'd go to Sainsburys for urgently needed supplies first though, and when I discovered their hot drinks machine was being rebranded I could not resist a large Yorkshire Tea for £1.25 in an orange Sainsburys takeaway cup!

With various supplies also sourced, much of which made it all the way back to Hereford as it turned out, I was soon on 158749 and 158769 to Bristol Parkway. Oh wow that seat was so comfortable, I had not sat down on anything other than my saddle since around 0940, and I'm sure most if not all of you can imagine how much a long ride can leave one a bit uncomfortable after a while! That cuppa was incredibly welcome, as were two small pieces of malt loaf, a hazelnut Nomo chocolate bar and a vegan ham roll. That felt a lot better, I can tell you!

Before too long I was at Bristol Parkway, and the wait there for 800314 was over in no time. By Newport, with the aid of some Nightcore, I had got quite a bit of the trip report done. To my amazement, I not only got the bike up onto the IET hook without issue but also down from it too! Over to platform 4, and 67010 was soon in to take me back to Hereford. I spent the entire journey to Hereford with music on and typing the trip report up. By the time I alighted, I was looking forward to a lazy meal, and I was committed to a visit to the local chippy. A portion of chips would make me feel better in no time, as would something decadent...The ice cream put me into a food coma, and I collapsed into a deep sleep before 2030.

Attachments

• 20211116_085002.jpg
    20211116_085002.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211116_085919.jpg
    20211116_085919.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211116_100100.jpg
    20211116_100100.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211116_112715.jpg
    20211116_112715.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211116_114615.jpg
    20211116_114615.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211116_115055.jpg
    20211116_115055.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211116_115704.jpg
    20211116_115704.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211116_115708.jpg
    20211116_115708.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211116_124241.jpg
    20211116_124241.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211116_124245.jpg
    20211116_124245.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Part 2 of the photos from 16/11/2021

Attachments

• 20211116_142950.jpg
    20211116_142950.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211116_145438.jpg
    20211116_145438.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211116_150056.jpg
    20211116_150056.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211116_150700.jpg
    20211116_150700.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211116_161326.jpg
    20211116_161326.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

xotGD

Established Member
In my younger days I did the Birmingham - Oxford bike ride three years running. This was a shade over 100 km. The first year, riding home after the train back from Oxford, a couple of lads breezed past me, announcing that they had just ridden all the way back!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
In my younger days I did the Birmingham - Oxford bike ride three years running. This was a shade over 100 km. The first year, riding home after the train back from Oxford, a couple of lads breezed past me, announcing that they had just ridden all the way back!

Brave souls there! I couldn't do such a thing, Birmingham to Oxford and back! The ride sounds challenging enough as it is in one direction let alone both!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

yep I’ve done that 3 times too, one year it started much closer to central Birmingham and was nearer 130k. Very well organised, and wonderful cakes by the WI at Lower Brailles!

noddy1878

Established Member
The M49 was built to link the M5 to the M4 further south. Mid 90s.

You definitely need one of those mounts for your phone. Will help with your navigation.

ash39

Established Member
Big ride that! I stayed at Severn Beach Travelodge in September, I agree it's a very random location. We thought we'd gone the wrong way until we saw it!

I've also done Severn Bridge parkrun, the finish line is just before the tunnel you took a photo of. Great views from the bridge and novelty value of running 5k taking in two different countries!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Big ride that! I stayed at Severn Beach Travelodge in September, I agree it's a very random location. We thought we'd gone the wrong way until we saw it!

I've also done Severn Bridge parkrun, the finish line is just before the tunnel you took a photo of. Great views from the bridge and novelty value of running 5k taking in two different countries!

That's certainly an unusual parkrun then! The Travelodge, well it reminded me of Chinese houses where the rest of the area has been redeveloped save for one stubborn homeowner!

It was a big ride, but still much shorter than my biggest single ride so far in September. That one was massive! Frustratingly, I do not have the Strava screenshot from that one to attach to this post, but it was an absolute monster.

What else have I been up to this week then? Well I went out to Ledbury the other day, to do some minor gaps out there and get on a winner 802 back (GWR being on RTT is going to be very helpful), but sadly by the time my intended train left London it had been swapped to another one. Yesterday, well I had multiple TfW needs out, so I had a ride before I did any of them. I got a bad feeling about going for a 153 on a Maesteg service, so flagged that. A late notice trip to Cardiff got binned when I discovered I'd miss the 769 I wanted, the other 153 on Bay shuttles failed and the final 153 option? Well I could do it on a local leap to Leominster, nice and cheap, and do another short local ride first. That service got cancelled due to a train fault, so despite my best efforts I've had no luck whatsoever on the railway this week!

I'm hoping to go for a bit of a red pen fest on Tuesday, but to be honest with my luck recently I'm not convinced it's worth the expenditure! The big reason to visit Reading is to get some of the 387/2s in before they go back to Gatwick Express, but if my luck is this poor again next week I honestly don't think it's worth it!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
24/11/2021 - Tech's Last Big Ride Of 2021?

Well I wasn't going to do a trip report for a one-train day, when the main focus was on cycling, but I just couldn't say no to doing it while on the train to Hereford. Where had I been and where was I returning from? Well, keep reading on and I'll soon tell you!

I had gone to visit my little sister with a surprise visit 2 days previously, a very much last minute trip that I booked a shade over 2 hours before departure! The day before this report's adventure, I treated her to a day out in Manchester to visit the Christmas markets, and to have her first meal in TGI Fridays in years. That didn't warrant a trip report of its own, but the day that I toured Cheshire before going back to work did!

Eventually I turned the TV off, having discovered Hell's Kitchen season 20 was on ITV2 (I haven't seen season 19 yet, I'm a bit behind!) while at my sister's house, and I got some planning done. The plan eventually got made to ride out to Beeston Castle, having decided against paying out silly money to go chasing 153935, and I'd then ride east over to Crewe. That made sense, but of course I had a famous change of mind. I had also looked up my last 3 Northern 769s, but they were not out, which had made the decision easier. The plan now got changed to ride north towards Cuddington and eventually Acton Bridge, in a bid to increase my North to South coverage.

Well that was all fine and good, until a sign pointing me the right way was not there, so I ended up missing the junction. No way was I taking on the A54 to Chester, just taking it around Winsford was bad enough! The downhill section past the town centre was nice though, and I ended up tackling something on my wishlist, the hill out of Winsford up the A5018 towards Northwich. That actually went OK, thanks to a good run-up, and I had considered going around to Winsford station via the back way, then join National Cycle Network's Route 5 towards Sandbach, it had been on my list to do for far too long after all.

Oh come on, did you really think I'd stick to such a plan? No chance, I was going with my impulses, and I kept with the A5018 until it became the A533 and stuck with that until Northwich. I did make use of the shared-use paths after Kingsmead though, and at the huge railway viaduct I took a break to take a photo. There are better views of it, granted, but I'll have to get them another time. After navigating the roads around Northwich to get to the side of town I wanted, I stopped at Costa for a small coffee and got the sister some lunch too. I don't think she expected to see me again today!

I was now planning to get onto Route 5, and take it north to Acton Bridge and plan my route from there. Impulse took over again, and I rode past Northwich's railway station to join the A530 up and past Lostock Gralam's railway station. By now I was well into the countryside and enjoying the Cheshire scenery. Crossing a huge dual carriageway A road soon brought me back to hyper-focused thought processes! Once I had navigated that, it was soon back to the peace and quiet to Lach Dennis, where I joined Route 573. I was meant to be following that to Goostrey, but I missed any presence of the familiar blue signs so ended up following the B5082 to Holmes Chapel instead.

Oh well, I was still going the way I wanted to go, and eventually I got to the A50. Oh my, this was not part of the plan, but it had to be done. It was 6 miles to Knutsford, back the way I had rode along or 2 miles to Holmes Chapel. Onwards and upwards, for Queen and Country, I found some determination from somewhere and took on the A50 to Holmes Chapel. It's actually quite a nice little town, the railway station is a bit inconveniently placed for it though. I kept going, noting Kidsgrove was 11 miles away. Yikes!

By now, I had firmly settled on a plan, which was to get to Alsager and link up to my coverage from the summer, then fuel up and get a train to Crewe. When I reached Brereton Green, I finally gave up and pulled over for my last two Science in Sport energy gels. If I haven't mentioned it before, I strongly recommend the tropical flavour, so far that's my favourite. I have seen an apple flavour in Holland & Barrett, which I need to try! After planning my route to Alsager, I cracked on and dug deep for some energy. By some work of a higher power, I got moving along the A50 and before I knew it I had joined the crossroads with the B5077 and A5011.

That got me linked up with where I'd been in July, and I happily joined the B5077 knowing I was not too far from Crewe. Before too long, I was in Alsager, and my plan to get the train was out of the window, as was a supply raid at Asda, as was a stop for a coffee! Yes, yet another change of plan, it's always more fun letting impulse rule the ride! Tally ho ladies and gentlemen, let's go! Some roadworks really slowed things down for a bit, but soon enough I was passing under the M6. I'd seen the M6 earlier, when I rode over it on the B5082. It's always a weird but fascinating experience passing over and under motorways for me!

I got to a little village not far from the M6, and while pulling in to let some traffic pass I saw a sign for a manual gated level crossing 360 yards away. I couldn't resist going and investigating that, and sure enough there it was, a short distance west of the double track section becoming a single line between Alsager and Crewe. I eventually got curious enough to see where the road went, and I discovered I was on Regional Route 70. Not only that, but I could follow that to Route 551 and get some more rural riding in until the south side of Crewe then head into the town centre. Which was a good plan, but riding into the cold wind soon reminded me that it was late November, and I took the chance to take a different route to Crewe. A need to get a hot drink and food was now the highest priority!

I was soon there, taking advantage of the shared use paths for the last mile and a bit to Crewe railway station. I had way too much time to fill to just hang around there for the 1609 back to The Ford, so I went into the town centre. When I pulled up, I had cleared 39.7 miles and I was understandably pleased with that! After locking up the bike, and logging the ride on Strava, I was initially going to Starbucks, for a change of taste and scene, but I saw Greggs and headed there instead. A vegan festive bake (highly recommended), a mince pie, a vegan ham and cheese baguette (also highly recommended) and a cup of tea was well received!

Immediately outside Greggs was a phonebox advertising their freshly ground coffee. 'You're never far away from our great value, freshly ground coffee' indeed! Oh and for once the teabag had not burst, although the flavour was still rubbish. To be fair though, I'm an Earl Grey fan, so ordinary tea is just not comparable. With all the refuelling done, I needed to go source a bottle of water for the train, so after a wander around the town centre I ended up in Asda. Having now triied them, I recommend Fuel's Oat Bars. 3 for £2.49 is a lot of money, but they're a very tasty grab and go source of healthy protein and they're vegan. I will have them on my adventures again, very happily.

By the time I'd left Asda, the temperature dropped quite significantly and I was glad the ride to the railway station was only a short one. I could feel the cold through my gloves, and that's not a promising sign for the winter! Once through the barriers, I was soon in the waiting room to warm up, catch up on messages and to update my map. It's fair to say that the map looks much better, and my North to South coverage mission has taken a nice and big leap forward. I'm still hundreds of miles of cycling away from completing that mission, but I'm getting there slowly. 175111 was in charge of taking me back to Hereford, and much to my surprise nobody was occupying the bike space in coach C, happy days! I even got a pair of airline seats, that was unexpected and a pleasant surprise!

Most of the journey south was filled by typing this all up, accompanied by multiple Nightcore tracks. I was nearly in Leominster by the time I had finished, and I was dreading the totting up of my recent expenditure! Soon enough after arriving back in The Ford, I was back at base and unwinding before the return to work at 5am. Will I get to have another tour in 2021? I was hopeful, and at the end of the ride back to base I was on 4,324 miles on my beast. I had a feeling I'd not clear 5,000 for a good while, but if I could smash past 4,500 I'd be happy. It was now a case of wait and see!

Photos in order are of the view I first had (not the best, granted) of Northwich railway viaduct, then of the level crossing with the manual gates. The third photo is of the seemingly well placed ad on the phonebox for Greggs immediately outside Greggs, and the last one is of the former Crewe Bus Station, the dump it was has been torn down (I'm told it had asbestos in it) which is great news as it was a horrid place to wait for a bus!

Attachments

• 20211124_111902.jpg
    20211124_111902.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211124_135625.jpg
    20211124_135625.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211124_145907.jpg
    20211124_145907.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211124_150411.jpg
    20211124_150411.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tech's Round-up of 2021

Goodness, where does one begin rounding up a rollercoaster of a year? I wasn't going to do this, but it somehow felt right. Even until just before tackling this huge job at 2207 on 31st December 2021, it seemed like a nigh-on impossible task! However, I finally caved and with the soundtrack to the typing spree kicking off with The Best Is Yet To Come from the Metal Gear Solid soundtrack, which is always a favourite for reflecting on something or saying goodbye to something. It could just be the melody, maybe the lyrics which I confess I can barely understand whatsoever, I'm not sure but it has been on a few times lately after it got searched for during a cleaning spree. As you do! Anyway, music tastes aside and trust me my taste in music is something we could discuss for hours, let's have a bit of a look-back at a year which has been life-changing.

Compared to 2020, which was life-changing for completely different reasons, 2021 changed my entire existence for many different reasons and you'll be glad to know I won't go into those! It's worth mentioning purely because unlike most people I know, while I'm glad to see the end of 2021, I actually had a good year overall. Plenty of disappointments, of course, with the continued postponement of my World Frenzy series amongst other issues, but I've made up for it as I'm sure the trip reports I posted have shown. I mean, look at this list and tell me it wasn't a good year:

Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, London, Sussex, Cheshire, West Yorkshire, South Wales, South Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Hampshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire.

That's just some of the areas I visited that I can remember with minimal effort. I did so much it's crazy! OK so I didn't make it to Devon, Cornwall, the North East or Scotland amongst other areas, much to my disappointment. I made up for it on the other trips, and let's face it there were plenty of cycling adventures during the year.

In terms of the railway, that kicked off as soon as leisure travel was an option again in late March. The honour of 2021's first rail journey fell to 172336 with a short journey to Ledbury, and the day expanded into a mission to go on a big cycle ride to Evesham via Gloucester and Cheltenham, to then get 800312 to Worcester and back onto 172336 to Hereford. As I have YouTube open in a split-screen with Docs, I haven't easily got the ability to dive in and out of my moves list to refer to for this round-up, possibly just as well as I'd be here even longer!

The first big trip was the visit to West Sussex in early May 2021, and while it had been due to be a cycling holiday the epic wind forecast put paid to that. At least I got to revisit some places I had not been to for years, and my nostalgia for Bognor Regis finally got disconnected from reality.

Cycling trips were often combined with the railway, and it's worth noting that a cycling accident in late May 2021 caused a temporary end to an awful lot for a number of weeks. Thankfully it didn't stop my love of cycling, even if I was understandably nervous for a while after I got back on the bike!

So many trips, I honestly can't remember them all right now without my moves list open. I want to dive forward to July 2021 though, as while the month was dire for one of my best friends it was the beginning of a new lifestyle for me. For 7th July was when I started properly a 7 day challenge of going full vegan. It is also the day I officially since then declare the start of being vegan, nearly 6 months later I'm still going with it and I honestly can't imagine going back to any other lifestyle.

That adventure also saw me finally clear the SWR DMU fleet with 158884 finally succumbing to my desire to travel on it! What else did I get up to in 2021? Well I finally cleared the 802/1s, an objective I had been trying to achieve for far too long, and now I am down to just 2 more 802/0s with 802005 and 802010 still not done. I also got very close to clearing the Bakerloo and sub-surface lines on LU, and I've made my official farewell to the Class 315s and Class 317s. Sadly, the 317s only got a short and non-recorded trip done, having been overtaken emotionally that day by needing to get back to Hereford after losing my ticket home as well as important cards. Unsurprisingly that day, I had little interest in doing a farewell run, with no other trips that way in the pipeline it might just have to do!

In terms of light rail, I had a big clearout on Sheffield Supertram, finally doing the new bit of track to Rotherham Parkgate and getting a whole load of required trams done.

September 2021 was a big trip though, with my first visit to Anglia since way before the 745s and 755s had arrived. I covered my travels over there extensively in the trip report, but wow what an adventure it was with all the trains and epic cycling! It may be some time until I beat the distance covered on the biggest single ride I've ever done, 89 miles according to Strava and yes I want to achieve it again and hit the magical 100 miles!

October 2021 and a short notice week off was granted, not through asking but I wasn't complaining. It took some organising to do it all on a reasonable budget, but the adventure around Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, London and Essex was just incredible. So many lovely people met, so much scenery enjoyed, and a fair bit of red penning too. I fell in love with Cambridge as a cyclist, and I really need to go back as a tourist and just take it all in. It was on this trip that I discovered the joy of Earl Grey tea, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I go for it whenever possible. You can keep your PG Tips, your Tetley and I'd even turn my nose up at Yorkshire Tea, it's all about the Earl Grey! I'm told Assam tea is even better, but I'm keeping that ready for a New Year delight to find out if I like it or not.

Most of you will already be aware, but I do love my cycling. It's so good for exercise, of course, but it's also been a great help for busting stress, anger and other issues. I think it's fair to say I often exhibit symptoms of social anxiety these days, not always but too often for my liking. At least with cycling I get to have some freedom to get away from it all, indeed as I type this I could do with a really good ride! A proper good Maximum Power Thrashfest, yes please, let's go. Right now!

I know this is not my best piece of text, with a full list of 2021 moves right next to me I'd have been more consistent and thorough, but it will do just fine. I ended the year not in a fashion I'd intended, and while I could go into the full story a short version will suffice. Having finally positioned myself onto required 802018 at Worcester Shrub Hill in the afternoon of 31st December 2021, I discovered by Worcester Foregate Street the next two Hereford trains were cancelled, so to avoid a long wait in Malvern I bailed after just a 50 chain leap on the 802 I'd gone out for. I ended up filling the long time until the 1901 (bear in mind I got off the 802 at 1713, so lots of time to fill) to Hereford with a meal at Zizzi. I hadn't been there before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I left after a really good meal very satisfied, having had the best pizza I've eaten since my last visit to Milan way back in autumn 2017! The journey back to Hereford was slightly unusual, in that it was 172336, the same 172 I'd started my rail journeys in 2021 on!

So in summary, I'd like to think that, while this round-up doesn't do it justice, 2021 was a pretty decent year. I ended the year on 4,636 miles on my bike, which was a long way from the 5,000 I wanted, however it was still a mighty big haul! The amount of trains scored, I've not made a count of as I'm not convinced some lost records were properly recorded as being required when I found them in texts. So it was a decent amount, of that I can be sure, but how many I have no idea. Even though I don't do them now, I will have scored a good few stations along the way too, and I met some fantastic people along the way. I travelled through and rode through some amazing scenery, and noted a lot of places I wouldn't want to live in. Equally, there were some beautiful places, like Ely in Cambridgeshire. Oh wow, just WOW, in that city! I hadn't been for a proper exploration of Ely until October, and now I want to go back. Same for Cambridge, and while not as nice I'd not turn down Rainham in Essex either. I don't really like Cheshire though! Overall then, quite a bit to reflect on!

As I wrap this up once and for all, I'm going into 2022 with a lot of optimism and hope. I have no idea what to expect as we change the number of the year on paperwork etc, it could be absolutely anything. Is it a case of the best is yet to come? Honestly? I have no idea, but there are developments in the pipeline that could yield some good news. It could be the end of the world as we know it, more than it already feels like it, but it could be the start of a brand new beginning. Personally, I'm not putting too much thought into it, I'm going to be very happy to see what happens next!

Whatever happens, I say bring it on! In the meantime, Happy New Year to everyone!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Happy New Year - 4636 miles cycling in a year is a bloody good effort, you should be very pleased with that.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks all!

01/01/2022 - Beginning As I Mean To Go On

Happy New Year to everyone! As a treat, I'm kicking off 2022's trip reports on the first day of the new year!

Having stayed up for almost 21 hours, just to do as many end-of-year tasks as possible and to watch the disappointing fireworks and lights show on BBC1 at midnight, I didn't get up until 9am. This was not the start to a new year I had planned, as I had expected to be up early to take advantage of the quiet roads and the unseasonably mild temperature. No matter, it gave me time to focus on how to get the new diet and exercise programme launched. The night before, I'd seen my reflection in the window and I was very disappointed by how far I'd gone off track with my reshaping, the belly was getting way too big again for my liking. Things had to improve again, and fast, thankfully a week off work was coming up so it would soon get dealt with!

Anyway, having got the expected lateral flow test result of negative, I confirmed the location of 802010 having kindly been given the gen on it by Kite159. It was due to do the 1305 from Worcester, and I had time to get ready for the 1139 from Hereford to connect into it. West Midlands Railway clearly had some crew available today, unlike the night before, and the train was running. Water bottles filled, coffee downed, it was time to rock and roll, it was time to fire up the engines and get 2022 started the way I wanted it to carry on!

As an avid cyclist, I wanted to start things off with a ride, and that's exactly what I did. A 1 mile dash to the railway station had to do, and once I confirmed that the 1139 was definitely running I got my ticket. I had a pleasant surprise, as it was 172007 and 172104 on the 1139 to Birmingham New Street, my first sighting of a 172/1 in my area, happy days! Having managed to just about fit my bike and myself into the relevant area on 172104, and just about keep away from the family of covidiots, I was excited for what was to come.

Before I knew it, I'd arrived in Worcester and I had 40 minutes to fill before the 802 of my desires was due to leave. The weather was on my side, so I went for a ride to fill the time. I ended up going along the A38, and at Fernhill Heath I turned off towards Blackpole. My sense of direction was actually pretty much spot-on, as I was going the right way back to Worcester, just in a different part to where I came from. Doubt set it though about that, so I turned around and returned to the A38 and the route I'd already taken. At least I know for next time!

It turned out I had arrived back at Foregate Street station with 15 minutes or so to spare, so after logging my ride on Strava I headed upstairs and checked the 802 was indeed 802010. As it was, I joined the train for the short journey to Worcestershire Parkway. I would have around 32 minutes there, and the train manager didn't shut up with his announcement all the way from Worcester Shrub Hill to Worcestershire Parkway. Yes there was no doubt some important information included, but he went on about so much I suspect most of it was lost on others as well as me. Nearly 5 minutes of someone who loved the sound of his own voice so much he kept going on, no wonder people don't listen to announcements!

No way did I want to sit around at the station for 32 minutes, especially not with a new commitment to a better diet and exercise regime. So having discovered by foot the route from Worcester to Norton a few days beforehand, I decided the better idea was to ride back to Worcester. On the road overbridge, my GWR IET mask and the UV glasses flew out of my pocket, thankfully it was a quiet road and I dashed back. The car driver going the other way saw what I was doing and even helped to stop any traffic coming the other way, which I was very grateful of. If they're reading this, thank you!

The walk in December 2021 had been going to finish at Parkway Station, but it had been doubted it was a safe route from Norton village on foot. This was confirmed on this ride, it would have been doable but not safely. It was a nice ride to Norton, and I made sure I got a photo of the signal box and junction after seeing an opportunity to do so. The ride took me through the village and towards the Worcester bypass. Shortly before that, there's a shared-use path that goes through what will be an industrial estate upon completion (currently mostly under construction), and over a decent size bridge over the bypass into Power Park. I will have to explore there another time, today I was determined to get my mileage in!

Continuing onwards, I was soon on National Cycle Network's Route 45 for the ride into Worcester city centre. It's not a bad little bit of route, and I was soon back in the city. I could have tried to blag my way onto the GWR service to Hereford, with no cycle reservation, as I'm sure it would not have been an issue with space on New Year's Day, but I had changed my mind as there were gaps on the A44 and A4103 to fill on my map. So I braved the wind, which thankfully didn't gust too much in the end but did enough to remind me it's still winter, and once I got to the bypass on the A44 that gap was cleared. Over onto the A4103, and thankfully it was nice and quiet today. On a busy day, it would have been nerve-racking!

At the junction for Rushwick, I had cleared that gap and now had the wind behind me. That was a welcome relief, and I had considered briefly riding to Malvern just for the challenge, but the wind was annoying me too much for that today. Plus I had no idea which bits I had already done, with no map on me, so it made sense to dash back to Worcester. I arrived a little after 2pm at Worcester Foregate Street, and after logging the ride on Strava I decided I had time to go and make my first visit to Starbucks in 2022. I'd got rid of the app many months ago, but that's the case with almost all loyalty apps these days. A filter coffee was sourced, and as there were no vegan cakes available I ended up putting 5 packets of sugar into the coffee! Not healthy, granted, but a much needed fast source of carbs that would quickly refill the glycogen stores. That and it would keep me from moaning, always a good thing!

As expected, the next service to Hereford was in the hands of 172104 and 172007. I would have well over 150 miles on 172007 by the time I got back to Hereford! The coffee went down beautifully, unsurprisingly, and I had been planning to use today as a launch pad for going back to more tea and less coffee. Yes, well that obviously failed! However, my rule is that if I'm going into some intense activity later on then coffee is still fine. Less intense days, then it's onto the tea. As I got near Hereford, the rain had gone away and the skies were much clearer, happy days!

Once I got back, the plan to be very active until nightfall didn't exactly materialise, but it is what it is. Overall, it was a good and fun way to start a new year, getting down to just 1 more 802/0 was brilliant. Only a few months before, I had needed quite a few 802s and now, well I was overjoyed at the idea of finally getting so close to done with them. I was starting the year in a good mental state, which was good news.

For the time being, there's no plans for anything. I'm doing everything by impulse at the moment, which is an expensive way of living but it's oh so much more fun!

Attachments

• 20220101_113327.jpg
    20220101_113327.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_113405.jpg
    20220101_113405.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_125517.jpg
    20220101_125517.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220101_132607.jpg
    20220101_132607.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_142752.jpg
    20220101_142752.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_143332.jpg
    20220101_143332.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Happy New Year - 4636 miles cycling in a year is a bloody good effort, you should be very pleased with that.

Sorry, your reply got noted after I posted my report. Yes I am very pleased with that total. I had planned to clear 5k by 5th January, to get it done within a year of buying my beast, but it wasn't to be. Made good progress today though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
09/01/2022 - Tech's Cycling Tours Return, Day 1

Hello all and welcome back to my cycling/rail trip reports! This was all organised fairly short notice, around 44 hours in advance of the trip beginning! With managing to hold off Holiday Mode rather well all day at work, I was understandably excited to get going on my first tour of 2022. A shout-out, by the way, to my little sister who suggested using Avanti for the trip to Glasgow and not Transpennine Express which I had been planning to do, and I was using her place as base camp for 2 nights.

Eventually I was all fuelled up and on the move at 1405, and I was booked on the 1454 from Hereford. I had the Joy of Winter challenge on Strava to finish for the week, which had been planned to be done before the trip but minor injury put paid to that. Thankfully recovery was good enough to get going on the adventure, although I had to be sensible. The recent decision to kick the health and fitness plan into high gear did not help, and I'm sure some of you will know the feeling of "I'll stop at the end of the playlist, it's not long" and overdoing it! A decision to try running probably did not help either, but who knows I may get back to that when I finish other aspects of the plan, the primary mission is the neuroplasticity works but that's coming together slowly. I'll not bore anyone with that, let's just say I know what to do but it's the converting theory to reality which is the challenge!

Anyway, with a 32 minute ride the week's objectives for week 1 of that challenge were complete. I had multiple tickets to pick up next, and after the huge pile including reservations for my cycle were all done, it was just a short wait for 175002 to produce and take me north. There was a good seat secured for the journey, but the cycle area was annoyingly mostly filled by suitcases. Add in non-working power sockets and I wasn't suitably impressed by my first lengthy journey of the year.

Before I continue, I should quickly catch everyone up on my mission to clear the GWR 802s. Basically, that finished on 3rd January 2022, when 802005 came to visit Hereford on the lunchtime service to London Paddington. I took advantage of this with a short journey to Colwall, to start the year's walking and cycling mileages off. The GWR IET fleet was finally cleared, and the day after I went to Cardiff to chase after my last active 153, 153909, as it was meant to be on the 1602 from Cardiff to Fishguard. Yeah, that didn't happen, but it is what it is and the infernal thing hasn't been allocated ever since that day. It remains my last Welsh train to get, until the 230s, 231s and 756s enter service of course. 769421 and 769426, they're not being counted as they just never work! Given they'll soon be replaced by new trains anyway, that's absolutely fine by me!

Anyway, a decent enough journey to Crewe soon passed by, and fortunately I managed to get my bike out without too much difficulty. There was then the short wait for 350403, and I'm not used to single 350s these days, for the short journey to Winsford. I took a slightly longer route than usual to my sister's house, for the new coverage, and a relaxing evening was had. Just as well, as Day 2 of the adventure was exhausting!

10/01/2022 - Tech's Cycling Tours Return, Day 2

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It was Gran Fondo day, I was excited! For those who don't know, a Gran Fondo is a 100km (or more) cycle ride which is a monthly challenge on Strava, and I try to do one every month these days. January 2022 was to be no exception, and I was keen to do the year's first Fondo! Up and about earlier than expected, I tried to be quiet and eventually got my map out to plan the ride. Of course, as people who know me well will already know, I make all these plans and I often throw them out on a whim!

After a relaxing morning, it was nearly 0930 before I left the house and I was determined to get plenty of new coverage done. That wouldn't be hard, I have plenty of options on my Merseyside and Manchester Sustrans map! First things first, I knew I would have the wind blow in from the south-east so I decided against the ride to Nantwich. Cuddington was my first destination of choice, and getting there fixed a gap I had wanted to fill for ages, as I had been going there on my previous Cheshire tour but missed the turn in Winsford (no sign was clearly visible) and I went elsewhere. Somehow, once there, I ended up with a dual carriageway A556 in front of me. Oh my, this will not do, and thankfully there was a junction for Hartford coming up so that was an obvious choice.

A short way after Greenbank's railway station, and the ride through the surprisingly nice Hartford, I stopped at the 10 mile mark as the rain was threatening to throw it down. So on went the waterproof trousers and reflective ankle bands. A few miles later, all signs of rain had gone so I stopped to remove them, but a few miles on and they were back on! I had seen an Avanti 390 racing past just before I'd got to Acton Bridge, which made a welcome sight. I had now joined up with coverage from my first cycling holiday in October 2020, which was unplanned as was the entire ride after arriving in Cuddington. Onwards and upwards, having given up trying to follow National Cycle Network (NCN) routes, which was a theme of the day but let's not jump the gun!

I was bound for Frodsham at this point, as I had seen there was a traffic free bit of NCN Route 5 from there towards Ellesmere Port and I fancied that. What I didn't know was how long and surprisingly steep the hill into Frodsham was, I was very glad not to be going south from Frodsham! It looked like a nice enough place, and my visit had been very well timed as I passed under the railway just as 195123 headed towards Manchester. Eventually, I reached Helsby and it too seemed a nice enough little place but much smaller than Frodsham. Two stations I've never set foot on!

After a check of options on Maps, I charged along towards Elton and the main road eventually gave me an option to get over to the north side which had the shared-use path I'd seen on Maps. I like riding on the roads, but equally I've grown a real respect for using shared-use paths where they exist and are actually fit for purpose. Not all such paths are, as I'm sure a lot of fellow cyclists will know! I found myself at Cheshire Oaks, which has a lot of leisure and retail outlets. Duly noted for the future was the presence of TGI Fridays, and as it was before 1130 it didn't look open yet. I wanted coffee really badly anyway, so I dived into Costa and got a medium americano, a vegan ham and cheese toastie and a Bosh chocolate and pecan slice. £8 so an expensive lunch but oh my days it was good! The toastie, I'd not rush to have it again but it was still fine if slightly over-toasted.

After the badly needed refreshments, I was reminded it was January outside and soon set off on my way originally to the town centre of Ellesmere Port. I found myself next to NCN Route 563, so followed that for quite some way. Signage in places was not great, but that is not new in my experience with NCN routes. Along the way, I had to stop to take a photo of a road sign reading 'Welcome to Whitby'. I knew I'd rode a fair distance, but not that far!

Eventually, I found myself in Deeside and a lot of industrial estates, then a sign pointed me onto Route 5. I hadn't exactly realised at the time, but I'd now crossed into Wales for the first time in 2022. A short way up the path and I was given the option of continuing to Connah's Quay or diverging onto Route 568 to Neston and Wirral Way. The latter was the direction I wanted, so branched off to the right and found my way through more industrial estates. More of them, like I hadn't seen enough of them already!

Signage on this route is not as bad as it was in terms of route finding on Route 563, but how many times it insisted I was only 3 miles from Neston and 3 miles from Wirral Way I have no idea. Too many times, as if there was a reduced to clear sale on those signs only! The route took me past an army training site as well as the railway towards Neston, and it also went through the RSPB's Burton Marsh site. Still 3 miles, oh come on, seriously, this was probably 2 miles on since the first 3 miles sign! Following a slow moving council truck along Route 568, I eventually got to pass by and I finally got to a junction where I could turn off for Neston itself or to Wirral Way.

Naturally, I was off to the Wirral Way and Route 56. It was a lot muddier and rougher than expected, my poor bike was only cleaned 2 days previously! Eventually I got to the part of Route 56 which runs on the road, and after a Maps check I was back on the move around 42 miles into the Fondo. With the wind firmly in tailwind mode now, it was off to West Kirby as fast as conditions would allow. Thankfully the rain had all disappeared and I was very grateful for that.

While I think about it, nearly every walker responded to my 'hello' or 'hi' or whatever, but the cyclists were much less polite. It might only be a minor complaint, and yes it really is, but it was rude! Eventually I got to West Kirby's Morrisons, after a diversion through a small and pleasant park caused by council workers on vegetation clearance works. With a poor show of vegan friendly options, I was not impressed but came away with some vegan ham and some rolls. The idea was to enjoy those at the end of the ride, surely I had not yet burnt off all those carbs in the Costa lunch? A shout-out too to the guy outside Morrisons who kindly asked me if I was lost when he saw me studying my map for the next stage. It is nice to see people still go out of their way to provide help to those who look like they might need it!

Well it turned out that I was going along the A553 towards Birkenhead for the new coverage, and once I got to Meols I was in trouble. The stomach was churning, the legs were turning to jelly and every revolution of the pedals was getting difficult. So I found somewhere to pull over off the road and devoured all 4 rolls and 10 slices of vegan ham. Of course, the stomach was incredibly pleased at that, but I still needed to wait for the body to do its thing and turn that into energy. Alas, a proper wait was not possible with the time constraints I had, so I continued fighting the wind which by now was pretty much a headwind, and I eventually got past Moreton. When I saw an opportunity to head off a short but challenging section which had turned into a dual carriageway, I took it!

I was now near a large Tesco, and back on Route 56. Following this took me through some less than pleasant areas, and eventually I was in Leasowe. My geographic memory was clearly off, as I couldn't remember if I was going the right way or not! A Maps check showed me that I wasn't far off my expected point, and I was now at around 58 miles. Google confirmed it was 62.3 miles I needed, I'd have to get creative if I was to ever finish the required amount and get onto the railway!

That actually didn't take too much effort and going the way I had planned nearly got me there anyway. I had now reached New Brighton, and I had already achieved a visit to the seaside in 2022. That I had not planned or expected, but I had now linked up with some coverage in the Wirral from 2020 which was nice. I kept seeing people with Starbucks cups, which led me to ask someone where it was, and sadly upon checking my journey opportunities to go there would mean getting the 1805 from Liverpool. I was already having to get the 1705 and not the 1605 as planned, so a visit to Morrisons was made first. Once back on the bike, it was up the hill to the railway station and that hill was not fun!

I got my caffeine fix from the Lavazza coffee machine in the ticket office, £1.50 for a fairly small cup but it was so welcome I can't even think of the word for the euphoria! After buying my single to Liverpool, it was soon time to board 508117 for the journey to Liverpool Lime Street Low Level. Most of the first part of the journey was spent typing a description of the ride on Strava, and I cleared 4 challenges in one go on that ride. I don't think I've ever achieved that before!

Once I was back at street level, I bought my single to Winsford then had a look for any options of a winner as far as Liverpool South Parkway first. Sadly not, and most unusually the 1705 to Birmingham New Street was leaving from platform 6, having swapped roles with EMR who were using platform 10 for the 1651 to Norwich. I was soon on 350116 and 350377 for the journey into Cheshire, and I soon got to work with the Dettol wipes to give the bike a much needed clean. I had a feeling this would happen at least once more on the adventure!

Before too long, I was in Winsford having spent much of the journey typing up this trip report, and I took advantage of getting new coverage in the suburbs before getting back to the house. Later on, the much needed bath got me a very much mandatory de-rancification as I was soaked in sweat smells! When the sister got back from her shift, we went to the chippy and had an excellent meal. It was rather late in the evening to be doing so, but it is what it is!

Suffice to say, with all that food digesting and the excitement for Day 3, it took a good while before sleep arrived. The alarms were set for 0500 and 0515, and for a change I was excited for them!

Attachments

• 20220110_115922.jpg
    20220110_115922.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220110_124333.jpg
    20220110_124333.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220110_133217.jpg
    20220110_133217.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220110_152946.jpg
    20220110_152946.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220110_153302.jpg
    20220110_153302.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220110_153322.jpg
    20220110_153322.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220110_160402.jpg
    20220110_160402.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11

Techniquest

Veteran Member
11/01/2022 - Tech's Cycling Tours Return, Day 3

0500 and the alarm sounded all too soon, but I was out of bed very quickly. The bag preparations the night before had not really been done to my satisfaction at all, so it took a lot longer than expected. By the time I'd finished preparations, it was 0618 and the train to Crewe left at 0641. I needed not worry, as even with a diversion for yet more new coverage in the suburbs of Winsford I was on the platform at 0633. Talking of, that reminds me that my Road To 5000 mission is still ongoing and I was absolutely crushing my goal. January was certainly being conquered happily!

I rolled into Crewe's platform 12, which I had not done from the north before, with 350243 and 350126, or at least that is what my memory told me when I looked after going to the waiting room. I also thought it was 116, but I'd had that the night before so surely not? I recorded it as 350126 anyway, on the condition I investigated it ASAP otherwise I'd leave it off my notes.

Before too long, 390010 arrives from London with the 0734 from Crewe to Glasgow Central. By the time this gets posted to the forum, those following me on Strava will have seen where I went to, and I wonder if anyone else has worked it out already. If not, I was on the 390 all the way to Glasgow for my first visit to Scotland since October 2020. I didn't get to go in 2021, so with all the concerns about restrictions etc I had given up trying to resume my World Frenzy series. Having found bargain fares, and Premier Inn in Glasgow for just £78 for two nights (easyHotel wanted £54, but I felt like upgrading to a higher quality stay on this occasion), with some decent weather forecasted, well it would have been rude to turn down Scotland!

By Preston, I was too distracted by the outside so put my big thick book back into my bag and took in the scenery. I had always had it in my head Preston to Lancaster was pretty straight, this was noted not to be the case as I found out today! As the journey continued, I found a new appreciation for the sheer beauty of this part of the world, and I really want to explore the area with my bike some time. Quite, my visit to Morecambe for the North West to South East coverage mission is long overdue!

As the morning went on, with plenty of banging tunes playing and much tilting, the low cloud and fog eventually cleared and the weather was absolutely stunning in the Scottish Lowlands! By then, I'd looked up my 156s and 320s that I want, with all 3 320s and all but 3 of the 156s out too. The problem was, where to start? I wanted to also take advantage of the beautiful weather and do some cycling as well, so before I'd even arrived in Glasgow I felt like a kid in a sweet shop!

For whatever reason, this service went via Wishaw and Uddingston to Glasgow Central. I have no idea if that's normal or not, but I arrived 3 minutes early so I was not complaining. Now I've travelled on a 390 with my bike, and know how easy it is to load the bike on, I'll do it again on a future trip. I had plenty of time to buy my Roundabout and even a small Starbucks americano which went down well. As it ought to, at a cost of £2.65! That fared very reasonably compared to Upper Crust in Crewe, who for the same size drink wanted £2.89. I obviously turned that down in favour of the coffee I'd made myself in Winsford!

I had been going to score a 320, but it was decided that I'd be better off scoring a 156. So that's what I did, with joining the 1047 to East Kilbride with winner 156435 and dud 156503. When I saw 156512 arrive on its own, as I left Central, I checked it out and its earlier booked partner (156436) was nowhere to be seen. I also discovered I could alight at Crossmyloof and wait 10 minutes for the next score, so I did just that. 3 of the 156s I wanted were not showing as out to play, but I still had two full days to play with yet. Next up was winner 156512 for the short leap to Pollokshaws West, which I fancied for a ride around Pollok Country Park.

The entrance nearest the station at least was closed, so I changed tactics and 'followed my nose' for a ride to Thornliebank instead. I only just made the next East Kilbride train due to a short delay on that service, but I had got on what turned out to be dud 156442, dud 156505 and winner 156507. I settled in for a journey to Hairmyres, which I kept hearing as Air Miles, but the door next to the cycle space on 156507 was defective so I didn't manage to get that station ticked off. Not that I make any real effort for them these days, but it would have been to get it done. No matter, onwards to East Kilbride I went and re-joined the trio of 156s on the 1157 to Glasgow Central. 3 156s I wanted in a relatively short period of time was good going, and there were 3 more I could go and get today. 4 if I wanted a late arrival back at base camp!

I wanted to now change tactics, and go for 320404 which was due to work the 1257 from Glasgow Central to Wemyss Bay. A nice bit of 320 racket sounded like too much fun! Having had the urgent PNB on the way out of East Kilbride, I was ready to get moving again, and I had a bit of a plan going on. So much I was bored of sitting around that I changed plans and got off at Pollokshaws West to head, well west to Barrhead. I saw 156462 pass by while there, so that was confirmed as running. It was due to work back to Carlisle, and the 156 I was going after was due to work a Kilmarnock train after it got in from Carlisle, for whatever reason I chose to go after it first. 156462 could wait until it returned from Carlisle, I decided!

A quick ride in Barrhead got me to Tesco, where I sourced some rolls and Squeaky Bean Co pastrami style slices. 2 rolls now, 2 later it was decided, and back at the station on the north side I discovered there's nearby access to Routes 7 and 75 on the National Cycle Network, and Neilston railway station is reportedly just one mile away. Interesting and duly noted! As booked, winner 156501 rolled in from Carlisle and on I got for the non-stop journey to Glasgow Central. That would do with 156s for now, it was time for a change. It was getting close to time to check in at Premier Inn, as it was around half 1, so it made sense to now go after the 320s or get a bit of cycling done.

320 chasing ended up winning, and eventually I got to the low level platforms via two very slow and smelly lifts. The 1347 to Dalmuir was formed of 320415+320411, both duds from a previous insect leaping, red penning, session years ago. My first mission was to take these 320s to Partick to connect into a winner 320 as far as Hyndland, then go from there for the one approximately 36 minutes behind it. 320404 on the Wemyss Bay services would just have to wait it appeared!

At Partick, I first made my way to Morrisons Cafe, but they had no lids for takeaway cups, so I ended up in Meat Up Cafe instead. Cash only at present, but their coffee was good and such friendly service. Despite the name of the place, I'll be going back there on a future red penning mission. Back on the westbound platform, it wasn't too long until winner 320418 rolled in to take me to the island platform of Hyndland. A short time later, I was getting some much liked Juniper thrash in, with 334029+334037 taking me from one island platform to another, this time at Bellgrove. I had nearly 6 minutes there, which was fine given the afternoon sunshine beaming down on me. I was due to get on a winner 320 next, would it produce?

Thankfully yes, 318253 brought winner 320420 with it, one more 320 to go! I bailed at Glasgow Queen Street and got out as fast as possible, as I had around 15 minutes to get to Glasgow Central for the 1457 to Wemyss Bay. When I arrived, I figured I ought to check for my last 320, and it had now split up from 320322. That was off to Wemyss Bay, 404 was hanging around. So I should really have gone to check in at Premier Inn, but I went for a ride first instead. That took me along to National Cycle Network's Route 756, which was a bit dull through the city until it got to Kelvingrove Park.

From there onwards, it was much nicer and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride along Route 756. I could have stopped so many times for photos, but I was on a mission to reach Milngavie. Somewhere further on, I continued to follow the River Kelvin but on other shared use paths. The route continued to be nice, then at the West of Scotland Science Park I got a bit lost. I ended up riding through the suburbs, and there's some big hills in the Hillfoot area! One would think that may be obvious, given the name of the area, but it had never occurred to me before. I saw the railway station and decided to stop there, with the logic being that the next train could not be that far away, surely?

Well it turned out I had not long missed one, and it appeared to me that the screen said 1603 for the next Glasgow-bound train. I could have rode to Milngavie to pick it up there, but decided it wasn't worth risking missing it. So I popped into BP for a couple of bits, and at the station I discovered it was actually 1609. Ah, well that was not fun for the bladder and that got dealt with as soon as I joined 334024+334001! It took me a while to decide where to take the 334s to, and I eventually settled on High Street for some more new Glaswegian coverage for cycling.

I've grown a dislike of the city centre of Glasgow, it's so confusing to find one's way around as a novice in the city! Eventually I found my way to St Enoch, parking up outside the Subway and realising how close I was. To ride to where I wanted to be would take too much effort, as it could be walked in 30 seconds. I noted a vegan friendly cafe (The Glasvegan) near the Premier Inn, this could well be my breakfast point for the next two days! Check-in was over in no time, and unlike easyHotel I had no shortage of room for my bike, whether that was in the lift or the room itself.

Wow I was blown away by the sheer luxury of the room! Compared to my usual choice of easyHotel, this was incredible. The place was huge, with stuff I don't normally care about but as it was there I've no doubt I'll use the hairdryer, and a kettle in the room came in handy for a much needed cuppa. Yes OK, so it was PG Tips, but it was welcome at that time. Kendo coffee is a bit 'meh' these days to me too, but it will do nicely in the morning. By now, it was a case of halting play and jumping on the bed to have the other rolls I didn't use at lunchtime, as well as the itsu dark chocolate rice cakes I'd bought in BP. All that, with a cuppa, was extremely welcome as was the rest.

I discovered that 156511 had made its way out now too, and a huge shout-out to Kite159 for all his help in planning the moves to get it and 320404. I say help, he did the work for me while I filled bottles and emptied my backpack! I was soon on the way to Glasgow Central, and while waiting for the platform to be confirmed I dived into Burger King to get a large fries. I had about 10 minutes, how hard can it be to get fries?

Hard is the answer, 2 minutes after my order had gone in the fries had only just been put in! Everyone ordering slaughtered cows, chickens and so on got their food way before me, I wasn't too chuffed at that. The freshly cooked fries were nice, it must be said, but the worry about missing my train was irritating. Thankfully I made it with 2 minutes to spare, and I left on the 1806 with dud 320322 and winner 320404. That was the 320s finally finished, at long last! Off to Williamwood I was, and I investigated other options but Kite's suggestion of a fast walk to Clarkston was the best one. At an average speed of 4.8mph, no mean feat with the uphill sections, I arrived with 4 minutes to spare even with taking my time getting out of the station! It was only 0.7 miles from the street next to the station, no real challenge for me there!

Dud 156436 and winner 156511 produced and took me to Hairmyres. No point in going to East Kilbride, and it gave me the chance to have a quick stroll about and to have a quickfire practice of Polish on Duolingo. Back on 156511+156436, there wasn't much to do except catch these notes up. There were 156s out that I wanted, one of which looked to be a long 3 hours away as of 1917, it felt like it might have to wait for another day.

Back at Glasgow Central, I discovered winner 385014 was on the 1936 to Wemyss Bay, I was not turning that down! Sadly it was an all-stations stopper, so not an exciting ride, and I ended up finding out there was 385043 on the 2024 from Gourock. That surprised me, as I didn't know 385s worked the Gourock and Wemyss Bay lines! I was not hanging around Paisley for an hour, so I took a non-stop ride back to Glasgow Central with 380010+380106. It looked pretty likely I would be out until around half 10 after all, as there was 156462 and 156514 to go chasing. 156467 was showing as leaving Glasgow for Edinburgh, when I went to check again it was not showing as doing so. Either way, I only wanted 156432/462/467/492/514 as of 2006, a much better list than I had arrived in Scotland with!

Upon arrival at Central, I discovered that despite RTT no longer suggesting so (and it had issues with Scottish allocations all day) the 2017 Glasgow Central-Edinburgh Waverley via Shotts was indeed winner 156467. Another one in the book! 492 had gone to Oban, 432 was unallocated, 462 was due to be had later on as was 514. The possibility of clearing the Scottish 156s on this trip was looking very real! A group of intoxicated women made the slow journey to Uddingston very unpleasant, and thankfully I was away from them as soon as physically possible. A 397 held up winner 385022 for the trip back to Glasgow, and it was decided that no matter what, play had to stop in Glasgow for some food as my appetite was going crazy. I had around an hour before 156462 was due out, so filling that time became quite important.

That would be a challenge at this hour, with very little left running in the area that appealed to the red pen. It had been a long time since a red pen day like this was last had, and yes I had been enjoying it! Although, as I'm sure you can all imagine, I was getting pretty sick of the sight of Glasgow Central by the end of the day. A session based out of Queen Street sounded like a good idea for Day 4, mixed with some cycling of course.

At Central, I visited Sainsburys Local across the road and amongst a couple of healthier (not majorly so but still!) options I got my first bar of the new vegan Cadbury's chocolate. OK it is expensive at £2 for a 90g bar, but oh my days that was good. Colour me impressed, I'll have that again! By the time I'd eaten that and looked up my options, I had 37 minutes left to fill. There just wasn't much in the way of good options left, so I decided to go for a bit of a walkabout and see if 156462 was indeed waiting when I got back. If it was to be, it would be there, and I needed a good excuse to get walking quite honestly, there's been way more sitting around than is normal for me these days!

So I had a bit of a loop of a stroll around the city centre, with weed smokers somewhere on Queen Street making me feel ill, and it was back through the barriers with a very well used Roundabout for the last time going in. The 2147 to East Kilbride had dud 156439 on the back, and the front was winner 156462. 3 more to go, and one more was due to produce on the 2135 from Kilmarnock. I was off to Pollokshaws West for a +15, having noted what appeared to be 92023 at the head of the Up Lowland Caledonian Sleeper. I couldn't ID the LNER Azuma that had rolled in from London King's Cross frustratingly.

With a 10 minute loop of the Sonic 1 boss music filling most of the fester at Pollokshaws West, it was soon time to join the slightly delayed last move of my day. Winner 156514 and dud 156495 took me back to Glasgow Central, where all I had left to do was get back to base camp ASAP. Just 2 more Scottish 156s to go, and no more 320s wanted, and even 2 less 385s to hunt. I would never have predicted that at the beginning of the day! What would Day 4 bring? Well of course I was hoping the last 2 156s would be done, but all will be revealed!

Attachments

• 20220111_122608.jpg
    20220111_122608.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220111_195226.jpg
    20220111_195226.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220111_220720.jpg
    20220111_220720.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2

Techniquest

Veteran Member
12/01/2022 - Tech's Cycling Tours Return, Day 4

The penultimate day of the adventure already, wow that came around way too fast. 0530 and I was up and about again, only 5 and a bit hours after I'd crashed out into a deep sleep. So I watched a bit of TV, enjoyed a good soak in the bath and gave my bike another bit of cleaning after the riding of Day 3. At least today I wouldn't need to carry the pannier bag on the bike, which would make the day's cycling easier.

I soon discovered that my last 2 Scottish 156s were both showing as being out, so that was me definitely buying a Roundabout! Where exactly I would go, I had not decided even at 0714, but those 156s had to get done no matter what. Eventually I decided to get breakfast, and remembered that I had a free vegan festive bake that needed claiming at Greggs as it was the final day to do so. That barely touched the sides, and I topped up with 3 hash browns from McDonald's. It had been months since I last had some, and wow they did the job well! Once back in the room, it was time for some tunes while I tried to plan my day. The trains bit would be easy, the cycling part not so much. It all revolved around whether or not I'd be able to board the 1034 out of Glasgow Queen Street High Level with my bike, as I wanted to use that as a positioning move for some cycling. If not, I'd have to replan the day.

On the way to Central Station eventually I went, stopping off for a Tim Hortons Dark Roast on the way, then with my Roundabout also sourced I sat to enjoy the coffee and await the 156 of my desire. Sure enough, dud 156511 (dud from yesterday's Clarkston-Hairmyres-Glasgow Central journey) and winner 156432 was on the 0916 to East Kilbride. The amount of times I went to type that as East Kilbridge, I lost count! One more 156 in Scotland to go, and to throw a spanner in the works a pair of 385s were off to Lanark that I wanted. Hmm!

Once off at Crossmyloof, I got pedalling and despite nearly going the wrong way I still found myself branching off for Pollokshields instead of Dumbreck. The plan had been to ride to Dumbreck, then up Route 7 to the city centre. Well I ended up somewhere near Maxwell Park, which looked nice enough, and soon enough Shields' rail depot. Branching off to the left at the junction, I was soon alongside Shields Road station on the Subway. Just a bit on from there, the segregated South West City Way took me to the river and I knew where I was now. Briefly, alongside the north side of the river, I followed Route 75 until the junction with the 756 to Anderston and Kelvingrove Park.

Once there, I knew I had around 45 minutes until I wanted to be at Glasgow Queen Street High Level, so no rush. I was soon on Sauciehill Street and I went around Buchanan Street Bus Station. Oh it's been many a year since my spotting trips to/from London on Megabus, it would be weird using the bus station again now! I knew where I was going now, but I had forgot I couldn't get into the High Level station from this side, or at least not off the road. So after a quick loop around George Square, I finished my 6 and a bit mile ride with more than 30 minutes to spare.

What was the big fuss about? Well my last Scottish 156 was due to be on the 1034 Glasgow Queen Street-Oban, and I really wanted to get it ASAP. Thankfully, it stuck to the plan and it had 153373 with it for company up front. 153s in Scotland look a trifle odd to me, but really quite funky too. The bike space in the 156 was at the back, so out of use for the trolley. Inside the 153, which I had no choice but to use for my bike, I was impressed. It looks really good, with a variety of sizes of spaces depending on bike type, with e-bike charging points and just generally plenty of room. As I was only on until Dalmuir, I wasn't paying a £10 supplement for that short journey but I would have happily done so for a journey beyond the likes of Helensburgh.

Almost 2 minutes late, and noting 43012+43036 on the 1041 to Aberdeen with a very comfy looking First Class (still in ex-GWR condition), I sounded the Air Horns of Victory, the Scottish 156s were all cleared! Not literally sounding horns of course! The next part of the day went over to cycling, and I was planning to ride along Route 754 towards Croy. The rain kept trying to start at the beginning of the ride, which had me considering changing plans, but it held off and I got cycling eastwards.

Once I got to the Clydebank area, at the junction with Route 7, I kept with the 754 and onto new territory. This route goes under a flightpath for Glasgow Airport, so imagine the joy I had when an Emirates craft came flying in overhead. I just had to stop to grab a quick photo, a good excuse to stop to get my Lucozade out. Onwards and upwards, the route goes through suburbs and more industrial places before it gets to an area of a diversion currently. I think it was in the Stockingfield Bridge area, and it was a significant bit of civil engineering. I was trying to understand where I was on the information board, and another cyclist who was coming up filled me in on how to get around it. There was hardly any effort required after all, down the stairs, through a short tunnel and up the ramp on the other side of the tunnel, easy!

We had a nice chat for a few minutes, and what a nice gentleman he was! The route got quite rural now for the ride towards Bishopbriggs, and I stuck with the 754 all the way to the Croy area. It was a really nice ride, helped by the wind and rain holding back of course. Kirkintilloch looked like a nice place to visit, and the ride up the former railway line to Strathblane, on Route 755, looked like it could be fun. One for another time! Eventually I joined up with my coverage in 2020, and that hill going up into Croy didn't look steep but it was and just seemed to never stop going up. So much so I actually caused a build-up of traffic behind me!

Thankfully, I finally got to Croy's railway station and it was thankfully only a 7 minute wait for the 1253 to Glasgow Queen Street. The wind had really picked up, some light rain had started and my feet were getting cold. I had forgot to put my overshoes on! Double winners 385118+385119 took me on the non-stop journey to Glasgow, and my first priority was now lunch. All play stopped, and I walked with the bike down to St Enoch to visit The Glasvegan.

This place specialises in only vegan food, and it wasn't cheap but the fake bacon bits, avocado and vegan cheese burger was absolutely amazing! It came with tortilla chips and a salsa, which I'd not rush to have again but I don't like salsa much anyway. The Biscoff and caramel crepe was incredible, as was the bit of ice cream it came with. £17.40 very well spent, and yes I would be visiting again before leaving Glasgow!

After all that food, which certainly sorted out my mood and need of energy, I got on the bike to ride along the 756 to Kelvindale. I'd missed off a small bit of the route that links to the 754, so that got corrected! I had around 20 minutes at Kelvindale to wait for dud 158726, but I could not be bothered with riding to Anniesland's station. It eventually arrived and it felt like ages waiting at Anniesland for what turned out to be 334020 on a Larkhall service. The temperature had now dropped hugely, and at Partick I alighted for a train towards Queen Street. A near 15 minute wait! That produced 320301+318266 and I was soon upstairs to investigate my options. The 1615 Edinburgh was not ready yet, so I went to warm up with a coffee from Greggs and soon enough I was on double winners 385109+385104 to Croy.

I had time to fill here, so I locked the bike up and put some tunes on. Next up was winner 385006 for the leap to Lenzie. I had almost no fluids with me, so imagine my joy when on a time filling run I saw a Co-op. With some grapes and water sourced, the run got me back just in time to jump on winner 385010 back to Croy. I had less time to fill this time, and soon enough winner 385111 rolled in to take me to Glasgow Queen Street. I could have got off at Bishopbriggs for a +5 onto a pair of winning 385s, but they were due back later from Dunblane, the pair of 385/1s I was going for might not stop at Croy later on and I just wanted the highest numbered 385 done and out of the way!

Double winners 385106+385124 took me back to Croy, and as my punnet of black grapes had burst open I decided to eat them up before any other moves. While sat in the waiting room, I discovered there was a pair of 385/1s coming up then nothing of major interest for ages after getting back to Queen Street. So I got my bike back off the bike parking area outside the station, and joined double winners 385113+385112 for the journey back to the city, and once there I got my march going on back to base camp. While there, the idea being to drop off the bike, I made some approximate plans for the evening and I would be done a bit earlier than on Day 3. Hopefully anyway! I had bag packing to do, a bike to clean up again (glad I bought those wipes!) and such like before crashing for the night. It felt so late already, but at that point it was only 7pm.

A quick run back to Glasgow Central although I could have strolled over really, I had plenty of time, and joined double winners 385001+385046 for the journey to Bellshill. This time, no drunk women! There wasn't much to do or see in Bellshill, not that I expected there to be, so I took the opportunity to do some leg exercises to fill a bit of the 12 minutes. Soon enough, in rolled dud 385017 and winner 385004 which took me to Uddingston. After a quick warm-up, I got a half-mile run going on to fill the time including a downhill and uphill segment as well as the station footbridge and a loop in the car park. It's very, very slow work getting the body used to such exercise this way, but the alternative was stand around on the platform in the wind as the shelter was full of covidiots.

In rolled double winners 385043+385019 to take me to Motherwell, and while I could have gone after a 397 back to Glasgow it was reporting to be dud 397008. So having also seen there was an Azuma coming up from London King's Cross, and there was a need for some food as it was already more than 2 hours since the grapes and there had been exercise done, it made sense to wait for the 801/2.

There really wasn't much open in Motherwell, and the best I could find that would be any good to me was either Aldi or Asda. Aldi got chosen, and while I came away with nothing really exciting there was some moderately sensible food in my choices. Some for immediate consumption, some for breakfast. Since when, for example, did Maryland start doing vegan chocolate chip cookies? I didn't know, but a pack of those for 65p was getting bought! Their own brand cinnamon and raisin bagels were terrible in comparison to the New York Bagel Company ones, but they would have to do. I had a run back to the station, amazingly it was only 0.3 miles yet it felt so much further!

Eventually, after a bagel and a small packet of some Gosh sweet potato bites, in rolled winner 801209 to finish my red pen session. I was by now exhausted and ready to call time on the fun and games. It felt a bit weird boarding an IET in Motherwell, but one of many, many LNER IETs in the book. I still don't really care for the red interior, but to be honest I was beyond caring now.

After arriving back in Glasgow, a fast march as my legs would carry me took me back to base camp for the last night away from The Ford, and when I got there I did none of the preparations for departure! Come 11pm I was fast asleep for a good solid 7 and a half hours of much needed sleep!

Attachments

• 20220112_101629.jpg
    20220112_101629.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220112_101907.jpg
    20220112_101907.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220112_102323.jpg
    20220112_102323.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220112_102630.jpg
    20220112_102630.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220112_105909.jpg
    20220112_105909.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220112_111930.jpg
    20220112_111930.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220112_113507.jpg
    20220112_113507.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220112_114618.jpg
    20220112_114618.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220112_145657.jpg
    20220112_145657.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Techniquest

Veteran Member
13/01/2022 - Tech's Cycling Tours Return, Day 5

Around half 6 I was up and wide awake after what must have been a food coma, and I can confirm that the Maryland vegan cookies are pretty good! The Bloomin Good Food sweet potato and lentil curry pot I'd got from Aldi was also highly enjoyable, I want more of those!

It was a rather lazy morning really, with a bit of TV, a clean of the bike (Dettol anti-bac wipes don't really do the job sufficiently but it had to do), bookwork and generally chilling. Getting the spending log and bike mileage log back up to date was a task which was most relieving to get done, and I can reveal I started the final day of this adventure (oh I could see it getting added to before the week was over!) saw me start on 4,847.1 miles on my bike. So far it has taken me 1 year and 8 days to get that far, with just 152.9 miles left to go before I clear the 5,000 mile goal. I had a hunch, looking at my log, that it would be something the February Gran Fondo ride would clear but there were still plenty of days in January ahead, I wasn't planning that far ahead quite yet!

Quite, I hadn't even got a clue what I was doing for the day. It was fast approaching half 9 and I was booked on the 1730 out of Glasgow to Crewe, with around 40 minutes there for the 2120 onwards to Hereford. So as of the time of typing, I basically had 8 hours to fill. Something told me the SPT Subway may have to feature, and of course it would be criminal to not get some cycling in! A quick look at options and fares suggested I would be best off heading to Glasgow Queen Street, which is exactly what I did.

£3.80 later and I had a day return to Lenzie. I was feeling the love for riding National Cycle Network Route 755, a former railway line. The wind was a potential factor, and I had looked to go from Glasgow Central to Glengarnock for some coverage on Route 7 instead, but the 755 appealed more. Double winners 385030+385039 were on the 1022 to Alloa, and if I had been on a Roundabout to chase 385s my luck would not have been in with the 1015 to Edinburgh being duds 385104+385109 (and there were plenty more duds out as I noted later)!

Soon enough, I was in Lenzie and soon got the ride going. I followed some signs to get to the 755 quicker, but it took me further out and around to the access point for the 754, so I should have stuck to my instincts. No matter, I was soon on the path and it's a nice and quiet but well used one. Popular with dog walkers, families, runners and walkers in general as well as cyclists. In many places, the tarmac is being broken up by tree roots, so it makes for an uncomfortable ride in several areas. I soon arrived at the former railway station at Milton of Campsie, which has most of its former platforms still in place and is a nice place to stop for a break, but I had places to be.

The route gets quite rural after a few miles, and the scenery turns into what I would describe as the sort you think of when someone says Scotland. Old stone walls for field boundaries, huge hills, farms and their animals, that kind of thing. I was soon in Strathblane, and I would absolutely recommend the route to those who love rural walks. Absolutely brilliant for cycling too, of course, but I would perhaps recommend making sure there's padding in the gloves and, naturally, at the top of the legs of the cycling gear. I was in my Nike running tights, but my saddle is not as firm as some so it was OK. Definitely a route I'm glad I did for the scenery, without a doubt!

The original plan, admittedly being made up on the fly, was to find somewhere in Strathblane for a coffee break then return to Lenzie. From there I'd head back to Glasgow and do some SPT Subway moves. Yeah, well, a look at Maps when I pulled over to finish some Lucozade saw me do something I had wanted to do, which was to ride down to Milngavie and link up with coverage from that ride to Hillfoot earlier in the trip. That seemed like fun, although probably challenging. There is not much to do in Strathblane, although I was going to pop into the Co-Op first. Well I decided against that too, a case of places to go and people to see, no time for wasting here!

The hill climbing out of Strathblane defeated me near the top, although that was my fault for trying to be brave and go up it in a slightly higher gear than I usually choose for such a hill. I did have a lot of weight in the bags too, so that would not have helped at all! Even so, I got up the rural country lane as far as Mugdock and was going to keep following that to Milngavie, avoiding the A81 as that would no doubt be busy. That plan changed, as there was a road closure at Mugdock so I ended up going along the A81 anyway!

That got followed all the way to Glasgow in the end, and near the end of that road it runs alongside the elevated M8 and I can't think of the right word for how creepy that felt! I found myself in familiar territory soon enough though, as I was next to Cowcaddens' Subway station. I knew that area from my stay at easyHotel in 2020, so now I felt a lot happier knowing where I was and away from the big roads. I had been going there later on originally, but I found my way into the city centre and locked up after a shade over 22 miles. It was time for lunch at The Glasvegan!

This was a little healthier than the meal on Day 4, and consisted first of a potato, swede, carrot, I think leek and lentil soup which was absolutely incredible. The main was the same burger as on Day 4, the Sweet Home Avocado burger. This consists of a soya pattie, in a nice and soft bun, with a gorgeous cheese, fake bacon bits and avocado, as well as some caramelised red onion, served with tortilla chips and some salsa. Oh my good grief I can't begin to explain how good it was! Trust me, it was worth waiting for and filled an enormous gap in the stomach after the big ride! £9.95 really well spent, and yes I know you probably all think that's expensive, but it was cheap compared to some places, and much better value than what I'd have got from Blue Lagoon for example. Even if you're not vegan, that burger is seriously worth trying!

I didn't get my coffee from there though, as I was fancying a Starbucks. However, I changed my mind and went for a large Dark Roast from Tim Hortons instead. Back with the bike, I had to decide what I wanted to do for sure. I had a completely unused return portion of a Glasgow to Lenzie Off Peak Day Return, and Lenzie is certainly not too difficult to get to by cycle. Quite, it can be done almost all on traffic-free routes. To begin with, that was my plan, but I decided to work my way up to the A803 instead, at the least as far as Bishopbriggs and go from there.

Yes, that was fine on paper, the reality is the A803 goes dual carriageway just before the M8 and it takes some guts to ride along there. Strongly not recommended for anyone who is not super confident in cycling! Thankfully it did calm down a bit by St Rollox, but it was still not fun. At Bishopbriggs, I could have stopped and got the train back from there, but I had seen I had time to ride up to Kirkintilloch along the A803 then back to Lenzie. By the retail park though, I took the option to diverge onto the B819 towards Lenzie as it just made sense. I got there just 4 minutes after 385013 left, so I missed out on a winner. Never mind, I knew the 1450 to Glasgow, the service I'd gone for as the next few were all showing as duds, was due to be 385026 which I wanted. So I took advantage of the time to catch up on messages and get some rest, sure enough winner 385026 took me to Glasgow Queen Street and I now had no idea how to fill the following 2 and a bit hours.

It occurred to me that I had 14km left to finish the 50km walking challenge for January, so I went for it and locked up the bike. It was to be a combination of sightseeing and going with the instinct on where to walk to, and I had been wanting to get some photos from Kelvingrove Park. So that is exactly what I did, and while I also wanted photos from the Kelvin Walkway I was by now pushing it for time for a relaxed meal and such like before the train to Crewe. So I took to the streets and got a good pace going, finishing off the walk with a quick supply raid in Sainsburys (I wanted more of that vegan Cadburys!), a coffee from Greggs (to warm up and energise for the study session heading south, and I was now due a free one) and to The Glasvegan for tea. A good 5 and a bit miles were done, and I was close to clearing that challenge. A job for the rest day following this adventure, no way was I planning to stay indoors all day!

A fantastic tomato and basil soup started me off, very tasty and warming which was important as I had not had my coffee yet. The not-dog with an avocado and coriander topping was not bad, but to be honest it was nothing in comparison to the burger. A bit lighter of a meal, more suited to a lunch really, but it certainly worked well with the sugary coffee and the soup as nearly 2 hours later I was still pretty satisfied. The next mission, given it was just after 5pm when I left, was to march my way up to West Gordon Street, retrieve the bike and make my way to Glasgow Central. With all that done by 1713, I had my bottles filled with water and joined the queue for the 1730 to London Euston, with boarding commencing at 1720.

With the bike on board, I had a booked seat in coach F but the idea of running down the platform at Crewe to jump in and get the bike out seemed like too much drama. So I took an available table in coach A and set up camp. Nearly 2 minutes late, I set off on the journey aboard 390122. First job of the journey, sort out the backpack and reorganise that, followed up by updating the spending log and bike mileage log, as well as updating the map.

With all that done, it was time to plug the earphones in and get the trip report all caught up with. All that took until well after Carlisle to do, and my Anthems of 2022 playlist had nearly finished by then! By Penrith, the vegan Cadbury chocolate came out, as expected because when I'm sat around in the evenings that is when I tend to eat the most. This is what the neuroplasticity work *should* help address in due course, but it's an ongoing mission and there's no quick way to success. It was a long process with everything else that involved tearing apart old neurological links and creating new ones, so patience is required however the reward for being patient is life-changing!

Anyway, I got my book out for some reading and that kept me occupied for most of the way to Crewe. Upon passing Acton Bridge, I was back on familiar territory but still really annoyed that the train manager didn't do anything about the woman at the table opposite me who was discreetly vaping at her seat. He promised to come down and deal with the situation, but remained in his office in coach C until Crewe. Pure genius, not!

At Crewe, the appetite had really kicked in and I ended up in Apo's for a large chips. Once they eventually saw fit to serve me, and I wasn't sure they cooked the fries in a good oil anyway, however by the time I noticed this possible discrepancy it was too late and I won't go back. I stood there 5 minutes before being served at all, and I just didn't like the place. Back at the station, 175107 was already at platform 6 on the 2120 and I grabbed my bike to join the very quiet service, stopping almost everywhere on the slow journey to Hereford.

After the food, not worth £2.60 as I also had a bagel a bit later, I got onto the big task, to proof-read my trip report for Days 1 to 4. Eventually we crawled into Hereford and I was off the train, into foggy conditions, at 2307. The ride back to base was soon over, and it was chill time until 0004 when I started shutting things off, and by 0030 I was fast asleep. An excellent adventure all in, hardly anything to fault whatsoever, and while it was expensive it would have cost me a fortune to have carried out my Poland adventure so it worked out OK. I had a rest day lined up, and an enormous amount of washing to do, but would I actually rest? Well, by the time this goes up that will no doubt be revealed, let's just say impulse took over and I was glad to have my magic plastic!

Attachments

• 20220113_105308.jpg
    20220113_105308.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220113_111917.jpg
    20220113_111917.jpg
  • 20220113_111926.jpg
    20220113_111926.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220113_113422.jpg
    20220113_113422.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220113_114151.jpg
    20220113_114151.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220113_125951.jpg
    20220113_125951.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220113_152655.jpg
    20220113_152655.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220113_153337.jpg
    20220113_153337.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220113_155250.jpg
    20220113_155250.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220113_155529.jpg
    20220113_155529.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Finally (for now), the last of yesterday's photos. Stay tuned for more tales of interest (now I wonder who will get that Futurama reference)!

Attachments

• 20220113_155546.jpg
    20220113_155546.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220113_155858.jpg
    20220113_155858.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220113_160126.jpg
    20220113_160126.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220113_165312.jpg
    20220113_165312.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Techniquest

Veteran Member
14/01/2022 - Tech's Cycling Tours Return, Day 6

'Woah hold up Tech', I hear you exclaim, 'Day 6, what happened there?' and that is where impulse came in. After rising and being wide awake around 0740, I had cracked on with the big job of the so-called rest day, which was the huge pile of washing. Later on, I had discovered only two trains on my hitlist were out and running. Still no sign of 153909, what is going on with that infernal piece of junk? Actually no, leave it in Canton and bring on the 231s instead, they promise to be much more fun! Anyway, the only trains on my 'want done ASAP' list were 387143 and 170420, and I was not prepared to pay the outrageous fare to Oxfordshire to go after just 1 387. If I could take my bike with me, I'd do some touring while there, but it just wasn't worth it.

170420, well that was a similar problem, the two reformed 170s I wanted (170530 and 170531) were not showing as out. Then I remembered there was a 156/4 I wanted on EMR, and 156470 was showing as being out. When Kite159 told me how reasonable the fare from Birmingham to Nottingham is, it was all I could do to not hurry up and get ready. I'd have moved it for the 0939 if I hadn't had the washing machine on, but that did allow me the time for a badly needed shave as well as a relaxed start to the day.

With the fares all booked, time flew by and it was 1025 before I left the house! Fortunately, the ride is not a long one and the lights were in my favour with only short waits. The weather was absolutely stunning too, and the forecast for Nottingham was looking good too. I had planned to go out on the weekend, given I rarely get to go anywhere on a Saturday or Sunday. This Sunday, I am busy all morning and the forecast for Saturday was not as pleasant. It felt like it was all set in stone for a good bit of travelling and touring on Friday, and the magic plastic was getting even more use!

170506+170513 were on the 1039 to Birmingham New Street, and at Ledbury I noted the 1139 would be formed of 172007+172102. However, it would have been too late in the day to do a cross-county journey by then, after all 1039 was late enough! Thankfully as I left Worcestershire behind, the glorious winter sunshine was back, and after Bromsgrove it made sense to get the wipes out for a quick clean-up before the next ride. I still had plans to give it a thorough clean before the end of the week, of course.

Arrival was more or less on time in the end, despite being 8 late off Great Malvern. I was most glad of that too, as I only had a +11 at Birmingham New Street. Straight to 170621 on the 1219 to Nottingham then, with a mother and kid in a pushchair who didn't understand the concept of earphones *epic eyes rolling*. I used the time on the way out of Birmingham to finish posting the trip report to the forum, then it was time to pop in the earphones, finish the coffee I'd brought with me and study the East Midlands map.

Oh my days I had so many options! National Cycle Network Route 6 looked like a good choice, mostly traffic-free, and I could do that to at least Beeston for the 156 into Nottingham then later on I'd go after the 170 which was on Worksop duties. It all fell into place, and after a PNB during the 13 minute reversal in Derby I noted the fog was lifted. Oh good, then I'll go now and cycle, I thought, I had had enough of 170s for now. It was a decent ride along shared-use paths out of Derby, and by the time I got to Alvaston Park which Route 6 runs through the fog was back. Oh lovely! So I took no photos on my ride, the scenery was too covered.

After Alveston Park, the path goes rather rough and muddy, which wasn't expected but it should have been! My poor Downshifters got coated in mud, as did my poor bike! I knew I should have taken the overshoes with me, although when I left the house I had only planned to do some urban riding. At a couple of places, the route goes along busy roads so it's not super recommended for non-confident cyclists. Somewhere in the Long Eaton suburbs, a car driver kindly called through their window that my lights weren't on. I pulled over to check, and sure enough they were. I made a mental note to buy some new, better, lights as soon as I could.

Eventually I arrived in the Attenborough area, so I knew I wasn't far away and I could have called an end to the ride at Attenborough's railway station but that just didn't sit right with me. After a wrong turn at Eldon Industrial Estate, I eventually arrived outside Tesco Extra in Beeston after riding over the tram tracks on Chilwell Road. The sight of tram number 204 was my first one seen in a long time, although I was due to see plenty more later but we'll cover that later in the trip report.

Sadly, the local bakery had nothing vegan friendly, so I ended up in Greggs warming up with a doughnut, black coffee and a vegan sausage roll. I had to take the coffee back, as he'd made a mocha instead. If they hadn't had the music on so loud they might have heard me properly! Come 1512, I had finished everything and was just about ready to go again, all I knew for sure was that I had to be at the station for 1546. The fog was now down so much that I didn't feel safe enough on the road to the railway station, so walked there. It was rather chilly too, when I was in Scotland earlier in the week it was so much warmer than this! At Beeston railway station, the ticket office and small waiting area were open so I dived in to warm up and use the facilities before my train into Nottingham.

Winner 156470 rolled in through the fog, which got really bad by the time I was at the station, and I joined for the leap to Nottingham. There, I found a place to lock the bike and originally I was going to Starbucks for a hot drink, but they were way too slow serving so I gave up. A quick visit to Co-Op got made after sourcing a £3.90 day return to Hucknall, and I was glad not to be on the 1617 to Leeds as 195010 looked incredibly busy and full of covidiots. All the way at the far end of platform 1 was winner 170420 on the 1625 to Worksop, and after a photo I was going to sit in the former First Class seats in 50420, but it was too full for my liking. It still had National Express ScotRail seat covers!

Soon enough, it was onwards to Hucknall, and the original 170s were finally cleared! There was now the matter of 170530 and 170531, both reformed 170s and previously 170/6s. I've no doubt sat in both halves of both of them many times in the past, but they are technically required. At least the 156/4s with EMR were now cleared, the situation with the /9s I'm still not too sure about but if they all went back to /4s I would need just 407 and 419. Soon I hope things are back to normal with their numbering, and I'll plan from there for those.

Hucknall's not a very exciting town, based on a 2 mile stroll around the town in the fog. I'd grabbed a much needed hot drink in McDonald's by the tram stop, which also has a huge Tesco Extra next to it, and I had my Anthems of 2022 playlist going on. Around 1725, I was back at the station and grabbed a couple of atmospheric tram photos, then joined 158780 back to Nottingham. A more pleasant journey than the 170 for sure, and I took advantage of the USB sockets for a small bit of charge time on the way into the city. Considering the lack of power available on XC 170s, the 4% gain in the short journey was very helpful!

It was now time for an explore of Nottingham on foot, and I have to say I do like this city. Much nicer than Derby (I'll not express my opinion on that place) and I'd probably say I like Nottingham more than Sheffield so far too. Another explore is required first, but unlike Hucknall this was a good stroll about the place. I was going to have a sit-down meal, but unlike Glasgow (which has also grown on me, now I come to think of it) I didn't stumble upon any good vegan places. Some research is needed, and I didn't do a lot of the city as I was also looking for the clock tower at Victoria Centre.

For those who don't know, this is the clock tower on the western side of the Victoria Centre shopping complex, and it is the only remainder from the Great Central Railway's Nottingham Victoria railway station. I think at least part of the huge car park takes up part of the former trackbed, but I would need to return in daylight to explore more. I had by now decided I would be better off popping into one of the several Sainsburys Local stores for my tea, as it meant I would also be getting supplies for later in the evening when I would be getting peckish on the way to Hereford.

So that's what I did, and afterwards I followed the tram tracks as far as I could before turning off next to Broad Marsh Bus Station and Car Park. That place is HUGE, and it's an impressive looking building. I was soon back at the station, and after picking up my beast I found my way to the 1908 to Birmingham New Street. I would have been valid via Leicester, but I was unable to get a cycle reservation on the EMR leg by the looks of it. Frustratingly, it had a winner 222 in the form of 222007 on it, and I had been so tempted to blag it and take it to Leicester anyway. Being stuck in Leicester for a service which I'd be allowed to take my bike on though, this was not an option given I'd risk missing the last train from Birmingham to Hereford. So the 222 had to wait for another day!

I'm not sure why I bothered though, it's not as if the cycle space is actually kept usable and is where you find pushchair users more than anything. Or covidiots who could actually sit elsewhere but can't be bothered to walk any further down the train! With the biggest part of the space especially taken by a pushchair user who didn't shut up being loud on the phone with someone until near Derby (around 50 minutes I heard her talking for, but in an Asian language so I had no idea what she was talking about!), I was sat next to the lavatory which doesn't really inspire me to consider XC on the Turbostar routes in the future!

Anyway, rant over, after my two Violife cheese rolls (choosing the pre-packed local company baps which were amazing) and a whole punnet of red and white grapes, the stomach was no longer so annoyed with me. As I sat there with no view of anything interesting, I looked at my bike and decided it was Priority Alpha for my Saturday. 153909 could make an appearance on a convenient service, my last two EMR 170/5s could be easily got, nothing would matter (apart from breakfast and sleep, obviously) until the bike had a much needed and well deserved clean. How it still functioned after all that muck I have no idea, and on a related note I was hooked on the idea of doing some cycle touring in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire next time. Not that I knew when I would get to do that of course!

Unusually, in my experience at least, the train got routed via Coleshill Parkway which was a new bit of coverage on a 170 for me, and I believe my first time doing that bit in the southbound direction. I had done it the other way many years ago, back when XC had a daytime service to, I think, York that not only went via Coleshill Parkway but called there too. Certainly I don't remember seeing that happen again after that timetable period! Up and over at Birmingham New Street to platform 11b to join the 2100 to Hereford.

To my dismay, it was 170506+170513 again, I had been looking forward to a 172. Almost all my journeying on this trip had been on 170s, which is a little unusual these days! I spent most of the journey reading in the end, and gave up at Ledbury where it had got rather cold so it was a case of layer up ready for the short ride back to base. I had a feeling I'd be making a fruity herbal tea when I got in to warm up with, and the orange and mango tea was most welcome. As was the vegan Cadbury chocolate I'd got in Nottingham!

Overall, an excellent little day out despite the weather. My first bit of cycling in Derbyshire and in Nottinghamshire, slowly I'm ticking off more counties! A nice and small but productive bit of progress on the railway too, so I can't complain really. I did have to wonder, as I trekked through the darkness of the countryside, what I would do with the last two days of my time off!

Attachments

• 20220114_103735.jpg
    20220114_103735.jpg
  • 20220114_130808.jpg
    20220114_130808.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220114_130811.jpg
    20220114_130811.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220114_143858.jpg
    20220114_143858.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220114_155440.jpg
    20220114_155440.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220114_160314.jpg
    20220114_160314.jpg
  • 20220114_161940.jpg
    20220114_161940.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220114_173036.jpg
    20220114_173036.jpg
  • 20220114_181448.jpg
    20220114_181448.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220114_183803.jpg
    20220114_183803.jpg

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Yeah, I like them too. I've filed away for future reference this week's as I also plan a Glasgow trip this year, or maybe next.

Status
Not open for further replies.