• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Slowly catching up on your reports Tech. Just read days 2 & 3 of the cycling holiday and definitely enjoying the mix of trains, bikes and scenery. The amount of effort you put into your cycling should be commended, the miles you are covering are superb, so much so that when you mentioned applying for Commonwealth Games tickets my first thought was 'surely he is in it, never mind going to watch!' :D

Keep up the good work with.......well everything! The cycling seems to be having a real positive impact on you which is great and always love seeing lifestyle choices made (in your case veganism) and stuck to. I look forward to the next opportunity I have to read more of your adventures :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Slowly catching up on your reports Tech. Just read days 2 & 3 of the cycling holiday and definitely enjoying the mix of trains, bikes and scenery. The amount of effort you put into your cycling should be commended, the miles you are covering are superb, so much so that when you mentioned applying for Commonwealth Games tickets my first thought was 'surely he is in it, never mind going to watch!' :D

Keep up the good work with.......well everything! The cycling seems to be having a real positive impact on you which is great and always love seeing lifestyle choices made (in your case veganism) and stuck to. I look forward to the next opportunity I have to read more of your adventures :)

Thanks! I've only got one more to post, Day 2 of the London trip, then that will be it for now. Until I get around to doing the October 2020 trip report, but that's still in the early stages of being sorted. If it happens, it'll be a very photo-heavy trip report! It feels a bit crazy how it's almost exactly a year ago since that adventure already o_O

Not planning on going on a major adventure for a few weeks, so there will be no new trip reports after this week's one for a while. Got to be a little sensible with money for 12 days! As for my cycling, I'm sure plenty of others do a lot better than me but I like to think I'm more active than some of them during the week when they're not out cycling, so it balances out. Certainly not fit enough to compete with anyone, that's for sure, I like my food too much for that! :lol:

Yeah cycling and a very small, nice social circle makes a big difference :) I quite like how things are, I mean I'd like to change things like the job and have better control over junk food but it's all in the pipeline to happen in due course. Switching over to tea and less caffeine in general has made an enormous difference, trying to find a way to be as productive with less caffeine is hard though. New hours at work have helped too, generally I get proper sleep now :D

Anyway, when you get to them enjoy the rest of the reads. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying them, hopefully soon you'll have some more for us all too!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I hadn't put the video together until this morning, so while it technically belongs in Day 1 here is my Class 315 Farewell video:

And now, the concluding part to my red pen fest!

23/09/2021 - 445, to, London! - Day 2

After collapsing into a deep sleep a little before 0030, I was surprised to be awake again before 0630. That left me a massive 3 hours until the off-peak began, so it was a very easy going morning. Frustratingly, the bathroom light didn't work now, having worked OK on arrival, and the shower seemed to lack power. It did fine, but not as good as on previous visits. Other than that, it was a decent night with no complaints.

With all that time to spare, it was difficult to fill really but at least all my notes were back up to date. Breakfast was formed of the last of the M&S lightly salted popped crisps, which are surprisingly reasonable, and some easy peeler oranges. Once the phone finished charging, I was off for a cuppa! Well, it was taking ages to charge so once I got most of the way I got my march on. First stop was the bigger Sainsburys Local, as I needed a roll-on antiperspirant due to forgetting the one in Hereford. D'oh! Greggs got visited too, as they've recently improved their breakfast range to offer some vegan options. I tried the vegan sausage bap, and a black tea, which seemed good value for £2.30. Yes, it would be, but the tea bag burst after it had been in the water for more than a few minutes, so I ended up wasting most of it.

The food, how was that? Chewy, tasted like it had been microwaved, lacking in any real flavour, I won't rush to have it again. I continued my march around Croydon after eating, taking in the Croydon Loop. That basically follows the Tramlink line through central Croydon, passing the likes of the bus station, West Croydon, Centrale and around to Church Street and onwards to East Croydon. It's not a hugely exciting walk, but it got me a reasonable amount of distance towards clearing the September 50km walking challenge and a sponsor 15km challenge. I can't remember the name of the company organising it through Strava, but 15km in 2 weeks? Yawn, wake me up when there's an actual challenge and reward worth having. On a work day, I go through an average of 7 miles a day, so it's not a challenge for me. However, it keeps things going on the days that cycling isn't really an option.

I also popped into 222 Coffee, as they had a special hot drinks for £1 deal on finishing on this day. I wanted caffeine, after my disappointing Greggs tea (never again I promised myself) but stuck to my guns and got a decaff americano. It's a simple pleasure, but I do like walking around somewhere, especially exploring somewhere new, with a takeaway coffee cup in my hand. I had plenty of time on arrival at East Croydon, so got my Travelcard through the GWR app for the Nectar points and updated my trip report. Sat where I was, happily waiting for time to pass with the sun beaming down on me, I looked at the Adidas advert above me. The one that caught my eye, as a keen cyclist, was the Laura Kenny cycling photo, the slogan on all the photos being 'Impossible Is Nothing'. I quite like that, and might actually try using it at work.

Eventually 0930 arrived and I could start using the trains. First up was going to be the 0931 to Cambridge, which would have been a winner 700/1, but I had seen the 0933 to London Victoria was showing as operated with Gatwick Express 387s. As I needed almost every 387/2, that could not be turned down! Perhaps to no surprise then, I joined double winners 387227+387213 on a non-stop ride to London Victoria. Compared to the trains the night before, this was so much faster and enjoyable!

On the way into Victoria I caught sight of a winner 465 on its way in, so I made a beeline for it as soon as I arrived. Much to my pleasant surprise, the 0958 to Orpington produced a pair of required 465s, and to Brixton I went with double winners 465041+465186. I will never clear the Networkers as some have been stored, possibly not coming back into use, so I've given up all hope on ever getting them all. Even so, as I am nearly there with the 465/1s and I do like a good Networker ride, I'm trying to enjoy them when the opportunity arises. With a PNB becoming urgent, and the facility busy on the 465/1, I ended up bailing at Brixton to return to Victoria and use the facilities there. I had planned to go to Bromley South, for a 375 hunt, but other matters took over and I was unconvinced I would enjoy the long stopping journey in the circumstances!

Back to London Victoria with dud 465002 and winner 465243. The 465/2s I am also close to cleared on, but I believe at least one of those that I need is in storage. The classic sound from the 465/2 leaving Brixton was very welcome, sadly the nice weather did not really carry over too well from the previous day so it was a day for jeans. Warm when the breeze wasn't blowing, granted, but not as pleasant to fester. So the DLR would not be seeing me on this occasion! Plans made to do a winner 375/6, following the urgent business, were changed when I saw the 387/2s for the 1029 to Brighton were in. 387226 was one of my last two to get for sight, now I only needed 218 to clear the class for sight. Unsurprisingly, knowing there would be multiple facilities on board, I joined what turned out to be triple winners 387221+387220+387226 for a fast ride to Croydon. Oh my it has been a long time since I had triple winners on one move on Southern! Quite, this could well have been the first time!

At East Croydon, I saw a required 377/1 going to Victoria but it was leaving as I arrived. Bah! No matter though, as I was soon on double winners 377211+377224 back to London Victoria. So far, all my 387/2s have been scored without having to pay the expensive Gatwick Express fares. Will Gatwick Express return one day? Who knows, I will be surprised if it doesn't but these are interesting times...Once I had dealt with the PNB, it was time to get onto LU. I flagged a few S7 sets before eventually settling with double duds 21524+21523 for a leap to everyone's favourite S7 hunting spot, South Kensington. Something told me not to carry on with the Circle line service, as I had been looking to go to Paddington.

Not too long after arriving at South Kensington, I had a score with double winners 21375+21376 to Sloane Square. These two were the last of the 213xx sets to get for haulage, with just two pairs of 4xx and 5xx sets left to get before the huge fleet of S7 sets would be cleared. Thankfully, whatever was causing gaps in the service when I first arrived on the south side of the Circle appeared to have cleared up, and I was soon on double duds 21457+21458 back to South Kensington. Eventually, just when I was getting my earphones out, double winners 21533+21534 arrived on a Richmond service. Happy days, just 3 pairs of S7 sets to go, and I headed to Earls Court.

After a while of festering, I ended up getting a cuppa from Costa and got bored silly, so ended up on double duds 21527+21528 to Paddington. I was after some Bakerloo action, or some mainline action, I couldn't honestly decide between the two! After finally being able to get rid of my tea bag (is it tea bag or teabag? I've always assumed the latter, but Docs suggests that's wrong) at Paddington, I saw not a lot of interest I could do on a Travelcard any time soon on the mainline, so headed downstairs to the Bakerloo line. Which was living up to its nickname of the Oven Line, as it was rather toasty. My tea was finally getting consumed now too, over 30 minutes after getting it! Winner 3442 and dud 3232 were on the first train north out of Paddington, certainly a good start. I needed a good few sets on the Bakerloo line, it's not a line I use too frequently and today felt like a good day to start changing that. North of Queens Park, I would get the added scoring opportunities with the Euston DC Line stoppers too.

The next move fell to a train that came off the reversing sidings in the depot at Queens Park, with dud 3253 and winner 3438 one stop to Kilburn Park. Wow that was bouncy, the ride from Paddington was nothing like that! Soon enough it was back to daylight, courtesy of dud 3449 and winner 3242 back to Queens Park. Having festered on the southbound platform for a while, I noticed a terminating train roll in with a winner so I stayed put until it came back. I have to note too that LU don't seem to be putting any love or care into these trains, the amount of bodywork I saw with missing colours, numbers and so on was disappointing. Yes these trains are due for replacement in a few years, but it wouldn't hurt to make the trains more presentable in the meantime. They're certainly a world away from the S7 and S8 sets!

Eventually winner 3236 and dud 3466 took me to Maida Vale, just to mix things up a bit.

I got bored down here after a while, so joined double duds 3454+3265 back to Queens Park, as the next northbound train was around 6 minutes away and I had a hunch there would be only a short wait for an LO service. Which was correct, just a 6 minute wait. Obviously, I was still keeping my eyes open for Bakerloo line winners, as I was down to just 3 sets to go having needed 7 before this trip. My first 710/2 was up next, with winner 710266 to Willesden Junction. A most welcome, but poor condition, facility was taken advantage of, then my first 710/3 was had. That honour fell to winner 710377 for a leap back to Queens Park, I wanted a bit more hunting for my last 3 sets before I headed back to town. By gum doesn't it look weird seeing EMR and LNER HST power cars on Willesden depot!

At some point while I had been away on LO, a winner had rolled into Queens Park on a terminating service, as it rolled in off the sidings. Winner 3252 and dud 3455 (thanks Lewview on RailUK Forums for the gen!) took me to Baker Street, leaving just 3439 and 3461 to get. Yes, my 4-car sets on the Bakerloo line were now cleared! I wanted to find them, but time was getting on, it was around 1421 by now and the coach back to Hereford was at 1730. Plenty of time, yes, but I wanted to get cracking with another line. I was in such a rush to get to the Metropolitan line I forgot to note the rear set of my Bakerloo line move, oops! I knew it was dud, possibly 3465 or 3455, but I'll now never know for sure. I didn't hang around Baker Street for long, and double duds 21091+21092 took me to a favourite festering spot from when I was clearing the 96 stock, Finchley Road.

An Aldgate was due shortly after my arrival, and much to my pleasant surprise it was double winners 21033+21034. 3 S8 pairs to go! To Great Portland Street I went next, as I fancied trying my luck with S7 sets on the north side of the Circle at the same time. Yes I'd miss S8 sets terminating in the Baker Street bay platforms, but I had to compromise somehow. From previous experience, Great Portland Street is a nice enough place to fester for winners, not as handy as South Kensington I will grant you that, but this would do just fine. I didn't want to be too far from Central London now, due to the time. I was also wondering just how lucky I'd be!

Just after I had become bored, and put the Tokyo 2020 Victory Ceremony music on, double winners 21001+21002 rolled in. Off to Farringdon I went next, to try my luck on 700s as well. I would soon need to head south of the river anyway, and it made sense to position myself well for that now. I also had a raging stomach, demanding food, so that was way up my priority list now. A visit to Co-Op got me some vegan ham slices, reduced gluten free Warburtons thins and some vegan chocolate chunk cookies. With two sandwiches made outside Farringdon station, which got me a much needed break out of my face covering in overcast conditions, my stomach was satisfied enough for the time being. Attention now turned to the 700s, not in time to score 700060 which was a required sight on a Rainham service though.

A bit more S7 and S8 hunting was also carried out, but when winner 700059 rolled in I was on it for a leap to City Thameslink. There were higher priorities than S stock by now! I still need a fair few 700s for sight, so this gave me an opportunity to start correcting that. Winner 700153 was up next for a leap to Blackfriars, another new sight.

After a bit of a fester, I then joined winner 700120, yet another new sight so they were coming down, and I was off to London Bridge. Originally I was going to East Croydon, to have a fast run then onto a fast Southern to Victoria, so I settled in to finish the sandwich thins. It took so long to reach London Bridge I had finished them before the train reached the platform, so I changed my plans to alight. The observation of a winner 376 helped with that decision!

Sadly, it was a good while before anything I needed arrived heading towards Charing Cross. Eventually winner 376018 led dud 376005 on something like the 1647 from The Bridge to Charing Cross. It occurred to me to check my route from Charing Cross, when the time suddenly dawned on me. An ultra slow journey to London Waterloo East followed, where another check of options revealed I could use the Jubilee line from Southwark and potentially get there quicker. By now it was 1651, and I was down to the Jubilee as fast as possible.

Fortunately a very short wait produced 96124+96019 for the short journey to Westminster, and by the time I was doing the transfer it was 1656. Transferring from the deep level Tube line to a sub-surface Tube line is never fast, but I was up on the westbound platform at 1658. After all the hanging about, and minimal exercise, today I suppose I should be grateful! 3 minutes later and double duds 21511+21512 rolled in to take me 2 stops to Victoria, and I originally went down some stairs I needed to go up, but soon dashed and dived my way through and outside. The few minutes out of my face covering was most welcome on the fast march up the road to Victoria Coach Station, and I had arrived at the nearby Sainsburys at 1712.

With supplies sourced, the facilities in the coach station are now free, and it shows as they were in a disgusting state. Ugh! The coach was a little late due to traffic, but departure was only 6 minutes late in the end. Traffic through Knightsbridge and so on was very slow, I took advantage of the opportunity to admire Harrods and, before that, a quick view of Hyde Park. That looked really impressive, it is officially on my list to do. Battersea Park is likewise on that list, oh and talking of I'm glad I did the new line on Day 1 of this trip as flooding at Kennington had caused the line to be suspended between Charing Cross and Battersea Power Station!

1845 and it was out of the suburbs and onto the M4. Finally, some speed would be had! Sadly, not for too long, as the M4 was closed at Junction 6 so there was a diversion via the M25. Lovely, not what I was expecting at all! At least it was still pretty fast and there were no roadworks. It was time, now some food had been had, to put some tunes on, enjoy the sunset and review the trip report ready to post it when the photos and videos were sorted.

Somewhere during the reviewing process, the coach joined the M40 which was a new motorway for me. In the Oxford area it was off the motorway and onto the A40 to Cheltenham. It was a shame to do this combination of roads in the dark, as I have wanted to see this area for a long time. No particular reason, but this was new territory for me in this part of the Cotswolds. With notes reviewed, it was back to boredom. It was by now 1955, with a mighty long way to go until Hereford yet. I could read, yes, but the reading lights on this coach did not appear to be working. Argh!

Arrival into Cheltenham was finally had at around 2036, and after unloading a fair few passengers and their luggage, it was on the move again at 2040. I had no idea how late the coach was, I didn't want to know any more quite honestly, I was just ready to get back to base and start unwinding. I had work at 9am, which is the only reason I could get back to Hereford so late. This was unthinkable back when it was 3am starts! Even so, with a significant delay now, I would be lucky to get to bed and sleep before midnight. If it hadn't been for a significant amount of sugary food I'd have not managed to stay awake so long!

Which randomly leads me onto the seats. I'm not a huge fan of Fainsa seats anyway, but this coach journey gave me a good opportunity to see what sitting in one seat and not really moving was like again. Such an experience will one day be had when I return to exploring the world, and based on this journey I have no idea how I'll cope with flights now. When I last flew, it was before I had discovered the joy of cycling, before I got properly into investing time in improving my overall fitness level. I'm not terribly used to fairly firm seats any more, and not for any real duration like this. Chances are, when I get on a plane again I'll be fine, and I'll be so excited I won't notice, I guess I'll just have to find out!

2106 and it was away from Gloucester after dropping off a decent number there too, and it was up the A40 all the way to Ross-on-Wye thankfully, no faffing around with Newent. 2140 and after dropping someone off in Ross, it was onto the A49 with a small number of people also on behind me for Hereford. I had by now gone through my photos and put the Battersea Power Station video together. Before I knew it, we were getting fairly close to Hereford, so I got the coat out, packed the bag again to make room for the rest of the water and coffee cups (I will reuse those before getting rid of them) and got ready to get off the coach.

Arrival into Hereford was at 2207, 22 minutes late after light traffic and good bit of speed and all I had to do for the day was march back to base and chill. It had been a rather busy couple of days, and my winner total came to a respectable 52 scores. Not bad, not bad, I was happy with that result that's for sure. I'm now really close to clearing the Bakerloo line as well as the sub-surface lines too, although I am a long way from done with the Northern, Piccadilly and Central lines. Overall, an extremely good trip. It wasn't cheap, the food and drink alone cost me a fair amount, but it was worth it. Even though I then had to make the following two weeks fairly cheap!

Kite159

Veteran Member
A very productive trip to London :)

Plus with the previous trips for nice scenery :)

It's certainly somewhere where you could easily spend a good few days with the red pen intercepted with walks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very productive trip to London :)

Plus with the previous trips for nice scenery :)

It's certainly somewhere where you could easily spend a good few days with the red pen intercepted with walks.

Agreed. I need to go back when there's good weather to explore Battersea Park, Hyde Park and have a good proper length walk along the Thames as a minimum. I suspect I could fill a week based in London with not too much difficulty, certainly a trip as short as my recent one was too short. All to play for on a future visit, whenever that will be

barrowjack

Really enjoyed reading your London trip along with the great photos. It is now two long years since I was last there! Looking forward to going to Battersea on the tube too, also tracking down my last 9 Piccadilly half sets and clearing the 700's though the longest I seem to be able to do rail stuff for is about 2 1/2 hours at a time so will just chip away at it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Really enjoyed reading your London trip along with the great photos. It is now two long years since I was last there! Looking forward to going to Battersea on the tube too, also tracking down my last 9 Piccadilly half sets and clearing the 700's though the longest I seem to be able to do rail stuff for is about 2 1/2 hours at a time so will just chip away at it.

Glad you enjoyed the read :) 2 years, that must be feeling like a long time! Only needing 9 Piccadilly sets must be nice, I need too many to have the count memorised yet. I think it's in the region of 46 on each of Central, Northern and Piccadilly. Once the S stock gets cleared, I'll have no excuse not to focus on the deep level stuff!

700s I need loads of yet, my problem is that there's so much I need down that way! I didn't touch the SWR stuff on my recent trip, nor Chiltern. I didn't make much of an impact on my Southern needs either, but then I did have a good clearout of 387s so that was a plus. Next time I will hopefully get some focus on the 377/6s and /7s.

I have to ask though, why only 2.5 hours at a time?

barrowjack

Glad you enjoyed the read :) 2 years, that must be feeling like a long time! Only needing 9 Piccadilly sets must be nice, I need too many to have the count memorised yet. I think it's in the region of 46 on each of Central, Northern and Piccadilly. Once the S stock gets cleared, I'll have no excuse not to focus on the deep level stuff!

700s I need loads of yet, my problem is that there's so much I need down that way! I didn't touch the SWR stuff on my recent trip, nor Chiltern. I didn't make much of an impact on my Southern needs either, but then I did have a good clearout of 387s so that was a plus. Next time I will hopefully get some focus on the 377/6s and /7s.

I have to ask though, why only 2.5 hours at a time?
2 1/2 hours is about my limit before I get bored of just riding about on units and want to do something else or go off and explore somewhere. That will probably be the plan for Battersea so I end up there. So last time I was in London spent the Friday morning clearing units then went out to Woolwich to go to the first McDonalds in the UK then to Dartford to watch football and a bit more red penning on the way back so try to find a balance to do different things.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
2 1/2 hours is about my limit before I get bored of just riding about on units and want to do something else or go off and explore somewhere. That will probably be the plan for Battersea so I end up there. So last time I was in London spent the Friday morning clearing units then went out to Woolwich to go to the first McDonalds in the UK then to Dartford to watch football and a bit more red penning on the way back so try to find a balance to do different things.

Fair enough, makes perfect sense. You may have noticed a similar impatience in my own trips, certainly today's trip report will probably demonstrate that well:

29/09/2021 - Farewell to Summer 2021

I wasn't going to do a trip report for this adventure, a bit of a late notice trip that I decided to book while at work the day before, but I was bored enough to type a report up. Having secured some sensibly priced Advances, I was booked for another red pen fest, albeit a short one, in Manchester! After work, I had finally got a weigh-in done which I'd wanted to do for a while. I had a better result than expected, so this trip was also in part a celebration of this! With some of the bag prep done the night before, it was a simple case of putting bottles into the bag out of the fridge and filling my travel mug with tea.

I left the house 39 minutes before the 0647 was due, and I had 5km left to do before I would clear the 50km walking challenge in September. I managed to get 3.2km of that done, with some looping around Hereford city centre and longer than necessary sectors for the walk. I still had 8 minutes left after all that, and I was hardly rushing! I even arrived with more than enough time to note 800031 on the 0643 to London Paddington, and that a surprising number of people were on it. I also managed a photo of 170512+172004 with the 0644 arrival from Worcester Shrub Hill.

175107 took me north, and until Craven Arms I had YouTube on. After that I felt a need for a break for the ears, so bust this out instead. So what is the trip title about? Well the weather had turned noticeably autumnal, and it was pretty chilly outside. If the wind forecast had not been so grim, I'd have been on my bike touring somewhere, but I'd had enough of riding in strong winds in the few days prior to this adventure, when I had been determined to clear the 800km of cycling in September challenge on Strava. The poor bike is currently having a well earned rest, with it being due a clean-up before I take it in for a new cassette and chain. I don't want to even think about how much that will cost, or what I'm going to do during the long winter months…

I also discovered the Costa visit at Earls Court the week before hadn't registered in the app, so I was very frustrated about that. So much so I was considering not caring how close to a free hot beverage I was and uninstalling the app. I did just that with the Starbucks app after all, which was notoriously unreliable, so I could do it again. It was something to ponder, and I had also committed the day before to getting on with reintroducing strength exercises to my day. Nothing too major, just some work on the arms and legs for now using a resistance band, especially so on low exercise days like this trip would be. I got bored silly before Shrewsbury, so while my tea finished cooling down I got the band out of my bag and got some exercise in. Could this be the key to busting boredom on long journeys, be they by air or on the ground? It would certainly help fill time during a wait at a station…

Arrival into Manchester was at 0907, and by 0911 I had my day ranger for £7.40. Breakfast was close to 4 hours prior to this point, so I wanted to try that new vegan bacon roll from Greggs. No vegan breakfast options left (seriously?!) AND no tea bags left (WHAT?! Really?!) so I ended up in Co-Op for better alternatives. After filling the bottle in Piccadilly station at the refill point, I decided to get a cup of tea from Costa, as I had 13 minutes to spare. The woman insisted the app would scan with a payment in progress, despite my protests that it doesn't. Lo and behold, it didn't and I've decided to moan about it via Twitter and uninstall the app. That crossed the line, twice in a week, and they'd also put tea up by 10p in recent times, so I decided to call time on it. Shame on you Costa for letting me down, Sainsburys have done the same with their new Nectar prices thing, two big companies who will not get my money any time soon!

769442 failed in the Wigan area apparently, so it never got any further. Grr! After finishing my tea, and turning down 175001, I was going to wait for the replacement train, 150145, but a pair of 185s rolled in and I fancied those instead. So I jumped on for the comfy seats and the warmth with 185150+185142. At that point, 769434 was showing as running so I had my fingers crossed! I still needed 3 of the reformed 150/0s (003, 005 and 006) so I had my heart set on looking for those too. I've had those numbers in Central Trains/London Midland days, so they're technically dud but are new formations so technically required. Once had, the 150s will be completely cleared, so I was hoping they'd all be out on all-day diagrams.

I *could* have gone to Salford Crescent by train, but the sun was out so I set off on foot to Manchester Victoria instead. That was a good call too as it turned out, as I spotted one of the new Metrolink trams out on Airport services. Noted ready for later on, I made sure I got the right order for my 150s and I was soon on the move from Manchester Victoria to Salford Crescent. I did manage a grab and go snap of 158910 and 153358 first though.

'Winner' 150003 took me to Salford Crescent, where I was soon heading back to Manchester Victoria with winner 331001 and dud 331023. With the other two 150s noted, or at least what Realtimetrains (RTT) was showing, a plan was forming. Of course, I still had that 769 to get too. The scores weren't yet thick and fast, but they were building up! Next up were double duds 150119+150140 to Mills Hill, to pick up a winner. 150119 was one of my final 150/1s to score, which was earlier in the summer. 150113 was also out today, which was nice to see as that was the other final 150/1 to get. This move would see me get a bigger run off 119, rather than just between Dore & Totley and Sheffield.

Boy didn't the rain start coming down! Mills Hill is much friendlier to access from street level these days, when I was last here it was only via narrow steps. On the northbound platform, it's now via better steps or a lift, for the southbound side it's now via better steps or a convoluted series of gentle ramps. Cycle storage space is provided on that side too, which is a nice touch. It wouldn't benefit me of course, but it's good to see. The tiny and open-sided shelters could have been done with being improved though! Oh and if I needed any more reason to make this a farewell to summer, apart from the recent wind and rain, I was regretting not wearing more than a t-shirt under my rather thin coat, it was rather cold! One suspected there would be minimal hanging around on platforms…

As RTT had suggested, 'winner' 150005 was up next to take me back to Manchester Victoria. The last 150/0 to get was 150006, and that was due to be leaving Clitheroe at the same time that I joined 150005. Now where was that 769 at...Victoria saw me note a winner 195, but the weather had dried up so I went for a march, first to Market Street then to St Peter's Square. I had a date with 3128, and I hoped I had not missed it. The rain kept starting and stopping, but by now I was also regretting not putting boots on as I was in my Downshifters! Brilliant for summer time outdoor cardio, not so much an autumn day in Manchester! The good news was that the walking challenge was finally finished, and I was very pleased to get it out of the way.

Eventually, over 2 hours since I had seen it on its way out of Victoria, winner 3128 produced for the ride from St Peter's Square to Victoria. That was a welcome sit down, in the warmth! 150006 was my next target, and while there was at present no time for a hot beverage it could wait a bit longer. Over to platform 6, and 'winner' 150006 took me to Rochdale on an all-stations stopper. I was just happy not to be outside at that point (something had told me to take spare socks!) and to be on my last ever 150 score! This called for a celebration, although in what fashion that would appear I had no idea. There was to be no more hunting 150s, wow that was a pleasant thought, and getting all the 150s had been a goal I'd been wanting to achieve ever since 2005!

After a chilly wait for the next train of interest, I was onto double winners 195017+195009 back to Manchester Victoria. Slowly but surely the 195s will come down, especially so now I no longer need any 150s or 158s on Northern. A fast march to Piccadilly got me to platform 14 within 15 minutes of leaving Victoria's platform 1, and onto winner 195131 for a quick leap to Manchester Oxford Road. A bit of festering was required, and I was very keen on a cuppa, but I refused to go to Costa. In rolled dud 331014 and winner 331029 on the next Blackpool North, so given the rear 331 was also required for sight I just couldn't turn it down. A required 195/1 had been coming up, but I was not saying no to the 331.

A leap to Deansgate and a fast platform change made, I was onto double duds 331025+331026 to Manchester Piccadilly. I had around 10 minutes once I got past the slow people leaving the island platform, and initially I was going to grab a tea from James Martin Kitchen (to support a different business), but I didn't fancy paying £2.35 for a small tea. I ended up at Pret, and while they don't do decaff (is it decaf or decaff, I'm never totally sure) filter coffee, which I have made a mental note of, I went for a decaff americano instead. £2 as I used my own mug, and wow it smelt so much nicer than tea. This was worthy of celebrating the clearance of the 150s!

First up though, which I had to move my derriere for after filling a bottle up, was winner 397008 for a leap to Manchester Oxford Road. A few minutes behind was a known score, with dud 331019 and winner 331011 to Salford Crescent. The rear 331 was another winner for sight, slowly but surely the Northern fleet was getting cleared for sight again! Originally I was changing for a 158 to Wigan North Western, then I found I could do the 1457 to Southport instead. Discovering that it had 156420 on it meant there was potential for some epic 156 racket, and sure enough I jumped on board, even getting an empty table seat!

My Lordz, the 156 did not fail to disappoint in the noise department! Phwoar, that was good fun, I definitely made a good call there. Enjoying the decaff as I headed northwest, away from all the potential winners, I also got the resistance band out again for a bit of arm work. Nothing too taxing, and it would have included the legs too but I found that hard to do under a table as it was on the 175 in the morning, so I wasn't going to try that again yet. The coffee finished, my insides felt warm again and I felt very satisfied. It probably helped that I added sugar to the beverage mind!

So what was I doing, heading away from winners on a red pen fest? Well don't forget I still had a 769 to go for, and it was due to be leaving Southport soon enough at that point. It was due away from Gathurst at 1544, and I was due into Gathurst at 1537. That would be long enough for a quick break out of the face covering before joining the 769. I would have happily got it closer to Manchester, but that evening peak restriction on the day ranger starts at 1601. As long as I started my journey before then, I would be fine.

The journey was over before I knew it, and after following some slow moving shopper down the ramp I managed to get around and up to the Manchester direction platform with plenty of time to spare. With the nearby sixth form college having emptied itself of teenagers, it was going to be noisy in the back 2 coaches, however I joined the motor coach of winner 769434 instead.

I don't know where it came from, but on the return journey through Wigan Wallgate the bay platform had 769458 in it. That was showing on the screen as being on the 1554 to Southport, which was also showing as only being 2 carriages. By now the wind was back and the sun was retreating behind the clouds, and the stomach was getting mighty annoyed that it hadn't been fed all that much today. So that was top of my priority list for arrival in Manchester!

A few minutes late but I was eventually off and on a march to the Morrisons by Piccadilly Gardens. I finally found something I'd like for tea, but still ended up in Co-Op for more bits. Back at the station, and feeling very glad as the wind had really picked up so it was rather chilly, I was soon onto 175115 for the journey back to Hereford. By gum that day flew by! The two vegan pasties got devoured while waiting for departure, I didn't realise they were 764kcal each! Soon enough, the sky cleared and the sun starting to set was a lovely sight. I even scored 68030 for sight on Longsight and 88010 for sight on Gresty Bridge, can't complain about that at all. I was absolutely gobsmacked at how few people wore face coverings anywhere I went, and that included staff who usually do so even when on open platforms…

After Whitchurch (Salop, not the Hampshire one!) I managed to escape my table, having been boxed in by two ladies that I have no polite words for. Coach B was thankfully nice and quiet, so I set up camp there and after a while I got the resistance band out again. A much longer session was had with that than earlier in the day, the arms have certainly had a good workout today! At that point, I had accrued a surprising total of 9.7 miles of walking for the day, with more to come after arrival in Hereford. For a day on the trains, I was genuinely surprised at that total!

Once we were past Ludlow, it was nearly back on home territory, and it seemed like a good time to sum up the results of the trip. I returned to base with 13 winners and managed a total of 10.74 miles on foot. The 150s finally, FINALLY being complete was an epic highlight, of that there can be no question. I got to return to a favourite city, and I made good progress with other classes. Only 7 out of 31 331/0s to go is not bad whatsoever, and with the 195s slowly coming down too I can't really complain at all. Apart from the weather of course!

Attachments

• 20210929_064419.jpg
    20210929_064419.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210929_092321.jpg
    20210929_092321.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210929_103542.jpg
    20210929_103542.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210929_103715.jpg
    20210929_103715.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210929_130404.jpg
    20210929_130404.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210929_130729.jpg
    20210929_130729.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210929_155311.jpg
    20210929_155311.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A good day in Manchester :)

Cue Northern reforming more 150s to create more 150/0s :lol:

You know, I thought that when I was typing that bit, I've done them all finally and soon enough there's bound to be some more!

Hopefully next time I get on the rails it will be another red pen fest. Manchester can wait a while, Liverpool I'm not too fussed on yet and Yorkshire I had my fill of for this year when I went there recently. Not worth heading to Cardiff again until some more 769s actually start producing, so that leaves one major option ;)

noddy1878

Established Member
Flippin 150s! Every time I clear them I have to go and do it again! So when I saw what Northern had done a while ago I wasn't too happy. Wouldn't mind but not so easy for me to get out and about these days!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Flippin 150s! Every time I clear them I have to go and do it again! So when I saw what Northern had done a while ago I wasn't too happy. Wouldn't mind but not so easy for me to get out and about these days!

I can imagine you weren't happy! They are at least relatively easy to get, which is good. I've got similar problems with the 170s, I only needed 170420 and then the XC lot got reformed. Got them all over 2 trips, so not too bad but that first day focused on them so much it was hardly fun. Of course, the WMR reforms happened but they were local so got most of those before they disappeared to the other side of the Midlands. Only need 2 more of the 'new' 170/5s, as well as 170420, however until EMR get their act together and run their regional trains properly again I'm not paying the significant ching to get over there for them.

My trip report failed to mention 197001, which I got a good but quick look at on the way out of Crewe on the return journey. I like the look of them, and I'm very much interested in what they'll be like on a lengthy journey on TfW. I did Leeds to Manchester on a 195 the other week and found that fine, so I expect it will be similar on a 197. Depending on the interior TfW have chosen and all that, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't broadly similar.

ash39

Established Member
I'm enjoying the recent reports please keep them coming, it's like the good old days again!

Well done on the cyling as well. Starting from a baseline of no cycling to then ride some of the distances you've done in such a short space of time is an achievement to be proud of. I'm liking the mix of travel & cycling in the reports. Not sure I'd be brave enough to get the resistance bands out on a train though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm enjoying the recent reports please keep them coming, it's like the good old days again!

Well done on the cyling as well. Starting from a baseline of no cycling to then ride some of the distances you've done in such a short space of time is an achievement to be proud of. I'm liking the mix of travel & cycling in the reports. Not sure I'd be brave enough to get the resistance bands out on a train though!

Ooh, I have a reply from a titan of the trip reporting community :D I am honoured! The days of there being hours of reading trip reports is long gone it seems, hardly anyone contributes these days.

I'm not at the level of cycling I'd like to be at, but I am getting there. I want to be better at hill climbing, which seems like a long time off yet, but all will happen in due course I'm sure. This time last year, for example, a long ride was 41 and a bit miles. Now my longest ever ride is 80.9 miles, which is a challenge as I'm sure you can imagine. I'm getting there with the endurance side of things, but still not there with the strength. Still, every ride gets the body closer to that level!

I'm glad you're enjoying the mix of trains and cycling in the reports, I've not had feedback on that yet so I was kind of hoping it wasn't too dull. The resistance band yesterday, that was an experiment to see how it went but I do like it. Just sitting on a train, not really moving, is a challenge these days, I love keeping fit and sometimes it is hard to flick the switch to off! A good friend had suggested I could try using one of those bands to do some strength building work, and it made sense to try it. So much so I'll be taking it on my next adventure!

Talking of exercise, I'm waiting currently on an engineer to come out to investigate a power cut. I've got very little else to do, so I'm going to do some indoor exercise. A more productive use of time than browsing the forum!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm not at the level of cycling I'd like to be at, but I am getting there. I want to be better at hill climbing, which seems like a long time off yet, but all will happen in due course I'm sure.

There’s only two solutions to being better at hill climbing on a bike:

1) keep doing it to build strength in your legs for more power
2) lose weight

Re 2) When I first decided to get half serious about cycling many years ago, in prep for a trip to some proper climbs in France, I did some maths. I worked out that if I lost 10% of my body weight it would be 10% easier, or 10% quicker. So I did, and it was.

As others have said - great to see you back, and in a ‘better place’.

barrowjack

Fair enough, makes perfect sense. You may have noticed a similar impatience in my own trips, certainly today's trip report will probably demonstrate that well:
Definitely, unless it is a wet day and I might make an exception. Having said that it will probably still be a while until I venture to London again.

Sounds like a very good and productive day in Manchester. Pret is usually my coffee shop of choice for the99p filter coffee (didn't know they did a decaf :smile: so even better for next time) Just isn't enough of them around!

Regarding a walk along the Thames, I have done Waterloo Bridge to Tower Bridge a few times, albeit a good number of years ago.

Have done that walk a few times too, though usually the other way, went all the way from Fenchurch Street to Vauxhall once (though St Pauls and Millennium Bridge rather than Tower Bridge) but plenty of other options. South Bank is my favourite part of London.

xotGD

Established Member
Kew Bridge to Richmond is my recommendation for a walk by the Thames. Then if you feel like it, just keep going as far as Teddington Lock.

A lot more tranquil than central London.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There’s only two solutions to being better at hill climbing on a bike:

1) keep doing it to build strength in your legs for more power
2) lose weight

Re 2) When I first decided to get half serious about cycling many years ago, in prep for a trip to some proper climbs in France, I did some maths. I worked out that if I lost 10% of my body weight it would be 10% easier, or 10% quicker. So I did, and it was.

As others have said - great to see you back, and in a ‘better place’.

Oh I agree with the repeating the hill climbing thing to build up power. There are some climbs around Hereford that I like for testing the legs, and when I get the courage to do them again I've got some big hills within a few miles in all directions that I can test myself on. Best avoided when the roads are wet though, as the surface quality out of the city varies a lot!

I want to try and get better at doing that standing up thing when climbing hills. I'm sure there's a proper name for that technique, but I don't know it. An entirely different set of muscles used with that method, most of my hills get taken on while sat in the saddle.

Losing much more weight will be a challenge for me, I'm already at 11st10lb, with what Boots describes as an excellent body fat percentage of 15.2% so I'm not too keen to lose much more. I do have a bit of a goal to try for 11st0lb eventually, but that's asking for a lot given I also want to increase strength!

Pret is usually my coffee shop of choice for the99p filter coffee (didn't know they did a decaf :smile: so even better for next time) Just isn't enough of them around!

Depending where you go, you might not find the 99p filter coffee now. I used to love Pret for the same reason, especially when using my own cup to save 50p! The Prets I've been in recently have all been £1.25 for filter coffee, and sadly they don't do a decaff filter coffee. I do recommend the decaff americano however!

Have done that walk a few times too, though usually the other way, went all the way from Fenchurch Street to Vauxhall once (though St Pauls and Millennium Bridge rather than Tower Bridge) but plenty of other options. South Bank is my favourite part of London.

Nice choice of route that, and I too like a good walk along the South Bank.

Kew Bridge to Richmond is my recommendation for a walk by the Thames. Then if you feel like it, just keep going as far as Teddington Lock.

A lot more tranquil than central London.

That sounds like an interesting walk, I will have to try that one day. I love busy cities, as is no doubt clear from a number of my World Frenzy trip reports. I'm starting to get the desire to go abroad again, still plenty to see and do in the UK of course but I would like to get out and see more of the world again. So I don't mind the busy streets of London, it's more alive than a twisty poorly surfaced canal path for example. Granted, I'm not such a fan of busy streets when I'm trying to get somewhere in a hurry!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I want to try and get better at doing that standing up thing when climbing hills. I'm sure there's a proper name for that technique, but I don't know it. An entirely different set of muscles used with that method, most of my hills get taken on while sat in the saddle.

Losing much more weight will be a challenge for me, I'm already at 11st10lb, with what Boots describes as an excellent body fat percentage of 15.2% so I'm not too keen to lose much more. I do have a bit of a goal to try for 11st0lb eventually, but that's asking for a lot given I also want to increase strength!

To be fair, it’s best for training to stay in the saddle. I get ‘out of the saddle’ (I believe that is the official term!) way too much.

A body fat % of 15% is indeed very good; I wish I was there! Sounds like you are in good shape.

xotGD

Established Member
Whenever I struggle to cycle up a hill I remind myself that Mark Cavendish doesn't find it easy either!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
To be fair, it’s best for training to stay in the saddle. I get ‘out of the saddle’ (I believe that is the official term!) way too much.

A body fat % of 15% is indeed very good; I wish I was there! Sounds like you are in good shape.

I'm not sure there is an official term for hill climbing while upright! Yours will do though!

It took a long, long, LONG time to get to this sort of body fat level, and the majority of it is sat around the gut. I'm getting there slowly, but so much vegan-friendly food has higher-than-liked levels of fat in it! Maintaining a decent body fat percentage is challenging sometimes, I've almost nothing else but keeping fit to keep me occupied apart from trains and work, which helps no end.

If you want to get there, I'm sure you will do in time. It takes quite the commitment to do it mind!

Whenever I struggle to cycle up a hill I remind myself that Mark Cavendish doesn't find it easy either!

I don't think anyone finds hill climbing easy!

EDIT: I forgot to mention I have been allocated a week off in 10 days' time. I have now got the challenge of finding something I will enjoy doing, something fun and something reasonably priced, and get it all booked ASAP.

It will not shock anyone here that I plan to go somewhere with the bike, and that trains will feature. Ideally I'll visit an area with plenty of trains to do, which is also an area of interest for my cycling. It's going to be a challenge to find all that and do it reasonably cheap at such short notice!

D6130

Established Member
EDIT: I forgot to mention I have been allocated a week off in 10 days' time. I have now got the challenge of finding something I will enjoy doing, something fun and something reasonably priced, and get it all booked ASAP.

It will not shock anyone here that I plan to go somewhere with the bike, and that trains will feature. Ideally I'll visit an area with plenty of trains to do, which is also an area of interest for my cycling. It's going to be a challenge to find all that and do it reasonably cheap at such short notice!
How about beautiful Calderdale? Lots of hills to ascend - and descend - on your bike....loads of vegan-friendly cafes, pubs and restaurants, particularly in Hebden Bridge and Todmorden....and plentiful freight traffic to photograph along the valley. Train from Hereford to Manchester Piccadilly....pedal across to Victoria....and Northern 158 or 195 haulage to your destination. There's an excellent independent hostel in Hebden Bridge, with en-suite private rooms and vegetarian/vegan breakfasts. I'm only sorry that I won't be there to welcome you and show you around, but I'm afraid I shall still be in Italy then.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
How about beautiful Calderdale? Lots of hills to ascend - and descend - on your bike....loads of vegan-friendly cafes, pubs and restaurants, particularly in Hebden Bridge and Todmorden....and plentiful freight traffic to photograph along the valley. Train from Hereford to Manchester Piccadilly....pedal across to Victoria....and Northern 158 or 195 haulage to your destination. There's an excellent independent hostel in Hebden Bridge, with en-suite private rooms and vegetarian/vegan breakfasts. I'm only sorry that I won't be there to welcome you and show you around, but I'm afraid I shall still be in Italy then.

Hi, thanks for the recommendation.

Certainly there's some good ideas there, and it's always good to get genned up on the eateries too. It's an area I want to go and explore, but I ended up on a significant Airbnb hunt while looking at my maps last night and I found a decent one for £109 for 3 nights in an area I'm keen to explore. I'll leave the reveal for the trip report ;)

Booked the Advance for the journey out of London, the other fares will get booked later today. If the weather isn't great, I'll have backup options on the railway, so my third cycling holiday will soon be had. 9 days to go! :D

Thanks again for the tips though, I look forward to using them next year. Enjoy Italy!

noddy1878

Established Member
I can imagine you weren't happy! They are at least relatively easy to get, which is good. I've got similar problems with the 170s, I only needed 170420 and then the XC lot got reformed. Got them all over 2 trips, so not too bad but that first day focused on them so much it was hardly fun. Of course, the WMR reforms happened but they were local so got most of those before they disappeared to the other side of the Midlands. Only need 2 more of the 'new' 170/5s, as well as 170420, however until EMR get their act together and run their regional trains properly again I'm not paying the significant ching to get over there for them.
Don't get me started on the 170s. I'd cleared them too. :rolleyes:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
11/10/2021 - Tech's Third Cycling Holiday, Day 1

The excitement for this adventure was so major I started typing the backstory up a week in advance of the trip beginning! As of the time of typing this sentence, it was a shade under 169 hours to go, and I was keen to get going!

I had not been expecting to have a week off again so soon, but the boss allocated me a week off and I was happy to take it. This was to be my final hurrah of 2021, my final chance to go exploring, as the weather was changing into winter quite quickly. I still had no idea how I was going to conquer the winter months, as I love going outside for exercise. It is a lot more challenging to do that in poor weather! That was a problem for another day though, I would soon have a Lightbulb Moment, of that I was sure. One thing was for sure, there would be an increase in my use of the railway for leisure purposes.

So to finish the backstory of this adventure, with only 10 days notice I had a mission on my hands to find something relatively affordable but also productive and enjoyable. It took some time, but I eventually settled on a 3 night stay in an Airbnb room in Ely, Cambridgeshire. With some shopping around for rail fares, I settled on the budget option to and from London with West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway on a Super Off Peak Return, as the options with Avanti were not terribly cheap. With Advances to/from London Liverpool Street booked, I had the core part of the trip organised.

Of course, I had to plan for poor weather, so I had chosen a location where I can fill my boots, so to speak, on the railway if the conditions didn't work out for cycling. Once that was done, and I had booked an Airbnb in London for the return portion of the trip, all I had to do was pass the time at work. That wasn't easy! Oh, and for anyone curious, in September 2021 I set what I'm sure is a new personal best for distance cycled over the course of a month. 494.40 miles in one month, and I think my previous best had been something more like 449!

The night before, I ended up finally settling on my route to London, which I had been considering all day at work. I ended up upgrading to the Off Peak Return with LNWR and leaving at 0712 not 0837, as the risk of a tight connection in London was not worth taking. It would also give me more time in London, and as the weather appeared to be on my side I decided it made sense to take a longer route from Euston to Liverpool Street and soak up the sights and atmosphere of one of my favourite cities. Trying to unwind and sleep, however, was not an easy task and it was around 0030 when I finally got into sleep mode. The alarm at 0530 was not as welcome as it would have been, however there was an adventure to have, so I was soon up and ready to go.

Sometimes, no matter how prepared you are, there's always something you forget. This occurred on this adventure, with multiple things left until the last minute and I still managed to forget essentials such as shower gel, toothbrush and toothpaste! Of course, I realised this way too late to go back, and I must say I really don't like cycling in the hours of darkness. It was starting to get light a little before 0700, so not as dark as it was but it's still nerve-racking. I had way more than enough time to spare, and eventually it was time to join EMR liveried 170507 and WMR liveried 170514 on the 0712 to Birmingham New Street, and I was soon settled in. Quite, before I knew it the train was approaching University, and I must note there was no shortage of people travelling on this train, the commuters are most certainly back and I can only imagine what the rear two coaches were like!

A decaff americano from Pret was my main focus on arrival in Birmingham, after filling a water bottle I hadn't filled in the house, which was followed by a most welcome break from the face covering. I watched the inward working of the 0913 to London Euston arrive, and that was in the hands of 350101 and 350260. I didn't fancy a long ride on a 350/2, so made my way down to platform 4 quickly to secure a space in 350101 for my bike. However, as the /1 was nearest the escalators the coach was pretty busy. I could not endure the covidiots opposite me any longer by the time departure was imminent, so I moved to sit by my bike instead on a fold down seat. It meant a lot less comfort, but the overgrown chavs (they were in their 50s) were driving me crazy. Sitting under the pantograph all the way to London, and the chavs were off to London too, was a much nicer thought!

All was fine and good until Rugby, where a rather rude Avanti dispatcher tried ordering me to leave the bike area as "it's only for disabled people". I stood my ground, I'm not going to lie, if there had been no space on the other side of the train I wouldn't have minded moving for a while. There was however lots of room, and the space is clearly marked as for disabled users AND 2 bikes! It was the attitude of the dispatcher more than anything which riled me, and it didn't take long to raise my concern on Twitter. I've yet to find any decent Avanti staff anywhere, and quite honestly I was more put off than ever from using Avanti. I like the Pendolinos, but not Avanti's staff or fares!

Amazingly, despite actually having food with me, I was so busy on the journey that it took until Bletchley to realise I still had the last of some unsweetened almond milk to finish off. It was a bit different, drinking almond milk on a trip as I normally only have it with cereal. Another new thing was sampled, and I have to say I liked it. That got me some much needed calcium into the system, happy days. I had spent lots of time examining my maps on this journey, and I was still none the wiser as to where I would actually ride on Days 2 and 3 of this adventure. I had one objective to achieve on Day 2 in the morning, which will be revealed in due course. I guess it would be a case of seeing where impulse would take me!

Arrival into London Euston was bang on time at 1125, and there was an enormous crowd getting off the front coaches. 350260 would not have been fun! I soon left and set up the Fitbit on Eversholt Street. I had planned to head slightly north here, then head over to C6 and down to the north side of the Thames. Which didn't happen whatsoever, the road I expected to be able to use was a one way street. "OK then, I'll continue north and I'll soon be on C6" I thought. On which note, before I forget to mention it, TfL are supposed to be rebranding their Cycle Superhighways, Quietways etc to Cycleways. Which makes a lot of sense, but this rebranding is so far very patchy.

Somehow I eventually got back to the Euston area, near Warren Street so I was definitely nowhere near C6 after all. I found my way down Tottenham Court Road, and fortunately after Trafalgar Square I had a better idea of where I was. I still need to go back there and have a decent look around, it's on the list...Soon enough, I was at the north bank of the mighty River Thames, and I joined C3.

Now I was back on plan, and finally enjoying the cycleway I had been eyeing up for many months. It certainly was a bit weird feeling on that bit around the underpass, and I was soon in the Tower Hill area. Yes, you guessed it, a proper explore of the Tower of London was also on the list! Around here, I was having a lot of fun and I ended up carrying on towards Canary Wharf. I had lots of time to fill yet, there was no major hurry to get to Liverpool Street and the weather was great for cycling.

Not too much further on, I got carried away and decided that I had time to carry on all the way to Barking! It would be a little tight, but manageable. So that is what I did, I carried on touring through the Docklands and East London. It's fair to say that once I got past the likes of Canning Town it did get a bit less pleasant to ride through, if only because of the parts of C3 where the route goes alongside the North Circular road. Good gravy that wasn't fun to go past! Overall though, I would recommend the route, although it's worth noting the segregation from traffic is not quite as much as it is in the city once you reach the suburbs. It's still traffic-free, granted, but in some places signage is not as clear as it really could be. Somewhere around East India Quay the blue surface gave way to a pink surface for some reason, which was a bit confusing.

Somewhere around a mile south of Barking town centre, I left C3 and headed towards Barking station. It was a nice and quiet route, after the noise of the North Circular, frustratingly I must have missed a sign for the railway station somewhere, and I got a bit lost so I was very glad of Maps when I had ended up near a Tesco. I somehow got my platforms mixed up at Barking, and I have to say that it is one major dump of a station on the concourse currently. I've never found it that decent in years gone by, and I remember not using it since the days of 150s on the GOBLIN! What happened to the concourse I don't know, the Spar has gone but the place felt like a deserted area left to rot! Ugh, no thank you, no more visits to Barking for me any time soon!

I nearly missed what turned out to be double duds 357008+357004 on the 1309 to London Fenchurch Street, and it was nice to put the bike down after my 16 mile ride. The ride to Fenchurch Street was over in no time, and I had been panicking that I'd not make it to Liverpool Street in time. A Maps check calmed me down, it was due to only take around 6 minutes on the bike, phew! Once my Fitbit had (allegedly…) picked up a GPS signal, I set off and found myself at Aldgate LU, so I knew I was somewhere in the right area. That part of London around Tower Hill/Gateway and Fenchurch Street has never been my strong suit, so it appears my memory is getting better.

Oh no, the 1358 to Cambridge North was cancelled, gutted! I checked my options, and indeed the best advice was to wait for the 1428. Imagine my dismay when I saw how slow it was going to be! Fortunately, this meant I had extra time to get food, and I found Pure tucked away up past Boots, that would do very nicely. Some of you will remember I enjoyed my vegan coconut curry a lot when I tried it from their outlet at Victoria, so I immediately knew what I fancied to eat. Even so, I looked at the menu and found a new item, a Caulipower Cheese toastie for £4.99. That was basically some pieces of cauliflower, vegan cheese, a pesto creme and chargrilled vegetables in a toasted wrap.

Now I'm not really a big fan of cauliflower, and it won't have escaped anyone's attention that I've been trying new stuff whenever realistically possible recently. That is partly from inspiration from a foodie friend, and some things I am enjoying the adventure of sampling. It's fair to say the wrap was not entirely to my taste, I really don't like peppers and I think there was a bit of aubergine in there too. Maybe even a bit of red onion, I couldn't be sure. I would eat it again, however I wouldn't choose it first and foremost, unlike that amazing curry!

Finally I needed a caffeine boost, so picked up a tea from Soho Coffee. English Breakfast tea is not my favourite, but it had to do. Onto the 1428 which produced double duds 379007+379027 for the long slow trek. I can see why people use the fast services to Cambridge from Kings Cross, that has to be much better! After Harlow Town I finally got into the better bike space, and a forward facing seat. Not that it made a whole ton of difference, as I spent a significant amount of time typing this lot up, so I didn't see much of the countryside after all!

After finally arriving at Cambridge North, there was a 10 minute wait for a Great Northern service to Ely which would do just fine. Almost the entire time I was there was filled with announcements! My luck on the railway was not in, as my final train of the positioning move was dud 700041, just as well as there were a lot of passengers with bikes waiting to board. The extra room a 700 provides was most useful! After navigating my way out of the station, I managed to ride past the Airbnb, it really was quite close to the station. Fortunately, unlike Bridge Guest House in Ipswich, while I was close to the station I would not have any noisy 66s during the night!

Wow this was a beautiful place to stay, and I had a really friendly host. I already recommended Rachel just on the first few minutes of meeting her and with amazing first impressions of the accommodation. Certainly I'll want to book here again some time! After emptying the backpack and such like, it was soon time to get out and have a stroll around Ely. There was no particular plan, apart from seeing the cathedral, and I had a good time doing it. One of those 'ooh where does this street go?' kind of walks!

Oh my, good gravy, Ely Cathedral is just on another level of beautiful! What a stunning, amazing, gorgeous piece of architecture it is! I thought the one in Salisbury was grand, but this blew me away. The one in Hereford looks like nothing in comparison! I also took in some of the river walk, and noted later on the level crossing appears to be permanently closed now. Just walking under that new bridge, which is really low, was enough to have me considering ducking my head a bit!

Next stop was Tesco for some food and the essentials I had forgot to take with me. I hadn't planned to buy much, but I couldn't say no to some of it. Like a punnet of stunning black grapes, the nicest I'd seen in ages, or the packet of Plant Chef mince pies I will try at some point this week, so my backpack was soon full again! Back at the cathedral, I found a bench to enjoy the atmosphere and admire the building while having a mini baguette and Violife slices. Soon enough the temperature was dropping, and the sun was setting, so I got moving again and finished my walk of almost 4 miles.

Once back at the Airbnb, it was time to veg out and get stuff like the map update done. Overall, it had been a brilliant start to the adventure. I was excited about what was to come next on Day 2, I had many options so I decided to let impulse decide when I woke up. I also decided not to rush to get up, so the body would have time to rest first. I had a feeling that would be very important, as I also had a feeling Day 2 would see the month's Gran Fondo being attempted. Would it be? Well, stay tuned and all will soon be revealed!

Attachments

• 20211011_070700.jpg
    20211011_070700.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211011_085413.jpg
    20211011_085413.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211011_085434.jpg
    20211011_085434.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211011_160014.jpg
    20211011_160014.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211011_170233.jpg
    20211011_170233.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211011_170312.jpg
    20211011_170312.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211011_170448.jpg
    20211011_170448.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211011_170814.jpg
    20211011_170814.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211011_171759.jpg
    20211011_171759.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211011_172112.jpg
    20211011_172112.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A few more photos from Day 1. In the last one there was a Pumpkin sign at Hereford, taken purely for the ridiculous idea of a summer drunk in October!

I haven't got around to sorting out my Zenfolio yet, hence attaching photos here. I will try to deal with Zenfolio next week!

Attachments

• 20211011_172600.jpg
    20211011_172600.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211011_180406.jpg
    20211011_180406.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211011_180715.jpg
    20211011_180715.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211011_180727.jpg
    20211011_180727.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211011_180902.jpg
    20211011_180902.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211011_182834.jpg
    20211011_182834.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211011_183015.jpg
    20211011_183015.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least you should get some money back from GA for the Cambridge semi-fast being cancelled and having to do the all station stopper. Fingers crossed the weather remains nice for cycling in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.