• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
47403:2187497 said:
Quality read mate. Very productive couple of days there, I hope you told 142090 to stay in Leeds, gladly swap it for a 155, should NL be willing.

It was told in no uncertain terms to stay in Yorkshire, but it refused to leave the Tyne :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
alexf380:2187812 said:
It was told in no uncertain terms to stay in Yorkshire, but it refused to leave the Tyne :lol:
Send it up to the 'Toon, I need that one! :lol:

Cracking couple of days there Tech, really enjoyed reading about it!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the read, and I suspect it's already gone back to Heaton, depending where it ended up last night!

Blindtraveller: Glad you also enjoyed the read, less Pacers had than expected, but I'm disappointed that I couldn't get all my 333s or 155s after all. Still, something to aim for when I return to Yorkshire!

Established Member
By eck, there's some familiar numbers amongst that lot :)
A couple I noticed were 150211, which I had into work yesterday (Monday) and 158756 that I did Bradford to Todmorden this morning.
Some good reading there, looks like a couple of enjoyable days.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very enjoyable indeed, just need to get back up north as soon as I can, loved it! I suspect you've got pretty much everything in West Yorkshire?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
142090 is a weird one. It does turn up on Heaton runs every so often but i've seen some Newton Heath units up in Newcastle more often than 090 shows up. Last I saw of it was on the 23rd at Manchester Piccadilly.

Established Member
Very enjoyable indeed, just need to get back up north as soon as I can, loved it! I suspect you've got pretty much everything in West Yorkshire?

Oh aye, I've had all the Northern DMUs and most of their EMUs, just missing a couple of 323s and a load of their recently acquired 319s.
My commute can throw up any Northern DMU, except 156s.
Today, for example, I had 158756 Bradford to Todmorden, followed by 150203 to Halifax and then 142051 home to Bradford.
I suppose that everybody considers the things that are close to home to be mundane - that's why I started trying to ride in every vehicle of a set, it gave me something to aim for.
Speaking of which, I scored coach 55747 of 142051, making it my 78th cleared 142.
Now there's sad for you :)

142090 is a weird one. It does turn up on Heaton runs every so often but i've seen some Newton Heath units up in Newcastle more often than 090 shows up. Last I saw of it was on the 23rd at Manchester Piccadilly.

Heaton 142s are funny creatures, they seem to be everywhere.
I get them home quite frequently on the 15.50 Huddersfield - Leeds.
In the last few weeks I've had 142022, 142070, 142093 and 142096 on this service.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I suppose that everybody considers the things that are close to home to be mundane - that's why I started trying to ride in every vehicle of a set, it gave me something to aim for.

I have cleared every 168 but instead of wanting to ride in every coach, I try and clear them for certain amounts of miles (10, 100, 500 and 1000). Actually, 168112 is currently on 99.50 miles!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My usual journeys into/out of Hereford are on 170s or 175s, with some 153 action supporting 170s as well. Not had an HST at my local since last summer, I must change that situation! Indeed, not had a 150 at my local since 5th January.

Think that's about it for my usual stuff. I do miss the days when it was a mix of 150s, the rather occasional 153, 156s and 158s with CT. Talking of, I remember having a 158 from Droitwich to Kidderminster once, that was slightly odd! Mind you back then a 150/0 could easily turn up on a Nottingham to Birmingham, and in sheer desperate times a Nottingham to Cardiff (most likely set swaps at New Street mind)! I had a 156 from Derby to Hereford (before they split the Hereford to Nottingham service at New Street, due to performance issues), only ever had that once too. Ahh, memories...

Correct that it seems everyone considers their local stuff to be mundane, but then today's mundane is tomorrow's nostalgia!

Established Member
I have cleared every 168 but instead of wanting to ride in every coach, I try and clear them for certain amounts of miles (10, 100, 500 and 1000). Actually, 168112 is currently on 99.50 miles!

My approached developed because there are certain services that I have to do when I commute by train.
On a Tuesday I work in Todmorden in the morning and Halifax in the afternoon.
I have no choice but to get the 12.13 off Tod.
This is a journey of (quickly consults Railmiles) 13miles 15 chains and it doesn't matter what the unit is, I can't reject it and wait for another one so once I'd got the majority of the fleet I just started looking at which coach I'd been in before and going in the other one.
It keeps me amused :)
Nowadays, of course, I'm most likely to have cleared the unit AND had it for a good few miles but occasionally a required coach pops up (I now need 15 Northern DMU coaches, not counting 156s which don't, sadly, appear on the Calder Valley these days).

Correct that it seems everyone considers their local stuff to be mundane, but then today's mundane is tomorrow's nostalgia!

Absolutely.
Back before I kept records of such things I did loads of 141s, they were everywhere around West Yorkshire and then suddenly they were gone.
I have no recorded haulages and only 3 or 4 photos of them.
I really regret that.
Now at least I know that when they bow out I've got a hatful of photos and a fairly detailed record of numerous runs on 142s.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Heaton 142s are funny creatures, they seem to be everywhere.
I get them home quite frequently on the 15.50 Huddersfield - Leeds.
In the last few weeks I've had 142022, 142070, 142093 and 142096 on this service.
Yeah, most of the 142 diagrams in Yorkshire (except those that work into Sheffield via the Hope Valley line, which are Newton Heath units I believe) are provided from Heaton depot, ever since Northern's class allocations were consolidated and Neville Hill lost it's 142 allocation: It doesn't seem to have made much difference to which units turn up where, as the Neville Hill and Heaton 142s were always fairly interchangeable anyway.

I do wonder sometimes how so many Heaton 142s show up in the north west though, when so few Newton Heath allocated 142s ever seem to show up in the north east!

Established Member
Yeah, most of the 142 diagrams in Yorkshire (except those that work into Sheffield via the Hope Valley line, which are Newton Heath units I believe) are provided from Heaton depot, ever since Northern's class allocations were consolidated and Neville Hill lost it's 142 allocation: It doesn't seem to have made much difference to which units turn up where, as the Neville Hill and Heaton 142s were always fairly interchangeable anyway.

It seems to be a bit of a mixture, really.
The aforementioned 15.50 off Huddersfield has also thrown up Newton Heath's 142023, 142036 and 142051 within the last month (It's worth mentioning that I don't do it every day and when I do it can just as easily be a 144 or a 15x).

I do wonder sometimes how so many Heaton 142s show up in the north west though, when so few Newton Heath allocated 142s ever seem to show up in the north east!

I've had a couple round Manchester, but they do seem pretty unusual.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Agreed. I dare say that unless the arrangement to keep the 144s in and around West Yorks and Calder Valley continues then it woant be long till 1 appears on a Carlisle Newcastle turn!

As to todays Mundane being tomorrows Nostalgia I really cant see me booking a seat on a 170 Farewell tour - Too many painful memorys of slogging up the HML at a speed which could be beaten by a seegull and at every shack the Scottish Weather penitrating the saloon due to the door layout, or of being squashed tight on an Edinburgh Glasgow Peek working before many were doubled up. I'll maybe be a bit more upset when the 156s go, but not much as always thought they should have been 90mph units and wish that High Back seating had been fitted when built! I'll miss the other Sprinters though, as well as the 323s, Networkers, MK3 EMUs, pendos, Caradias, electrostars and Junipers but youd have to pay me to morn the passing of ANY Deziro variant. I could grow to love the Voyagers if there mid life refit turns them into an updated 222 which Im rather fond of TBH, oh and last the dear old HSTs, MK2S/3S, Not a fan of the MK4s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry to highjack your thread mate!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Agreed. I dare say that unless the arrangement to keep the 144s in and around West Yorks and Calder Valley continues then it woant be long till 1 appears on a Carlisle Newcastle turn!
I think there might be traction knowledge issues there ;), although someone must have been passed to work 144s up that neck of the woods when they were being sent up to Heaton for overhauls. That was over ten years ago now, mind. One, and only one as far as I know, 144, and a three carriage one at that, has made it to Sunderland from Newcastle, in around 2000 and I still don't know what that was all about. Of course the 144s used to appear regularly on the Whitby branch from Middlesbrough at one time, too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It seems to be a bit of a mixture, really.
The aforementioned 15.50 off Huddersfield has also thrown up Newton Heath's 142023, 142036 and 142051 within the last month (It's worth mentioning that I don't do it every day and when I do it can just as easily be a 144 or a 15x).
142023 has been a Heaton unit for a while now; since Northern got its' 142s back from FGW and there was a reshuffle of the allocations. Still seems a slightly strange one to me though when I can remember the late Regional Railways/early privatisation allocations.

I suppose the Newton Heath units must roam a bit more widely in Yorkshire than they do the north east, which would explain the preponderance of Heaton 142s in the north west by reciprocal arrangement.

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Again, far too busy to keep up with the forum, but I did get a chance to read this yesterday morning :) Glad I did, was gripping stuff as always :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nay drama on the hijack of the thread, been an interesting pre-work read!

I don't think I've ever had a Heaton 142 west of the Pennines, nor a Newton Heath 142 on the east.

Glad you enjoyed the read Kristofferson (sorry if I've mis-spelt that!), know the feeling with busyness lately.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Enjoying reading some of these reports but how in the hell do you afford all of this?????????????

PS check out my flickr for details of the ales i have selflessly tested ;)

fowler9

Established Member
Enjoying reading some of these reports but how in the hell do you afford all of this?????????????

I guess it is all down to how much you earn and what you choose to spend it on, by the end of July I will have flown 9 times and visited 6 countries in 12 months. People ask how I afford it because I don't earn that much. I live in the family home, don't buy expensive clothes, don't buy expensive food, am happy to stay in hostels and slum it on public transport. Am off to the lake district for the weekend tomorrow for a beer festival. Do what you want to do and do it fast, this isn't a dress rehearsal. :D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
You only get out what you put in I say. I believe Techniquest is 1 of these people who can budget every last penny, a skill I sadly lack. That said, the supermarket online delivery bloke observed the other week that I always seam to hve very few missing items or subs and observed that this was quite possibly down to me only really buying own brand items instead of big name ones which I personally dont mind this, more money for things I want to do!

crispy1978

Depends on your other commitments and such like. Spouse, kids, job/college, financial commitments, etc. People without most of these will presumably be in a better place to have the time and/or money to be able to do their train excursions!

fowler9

Established Member
Depends on your other commitments and such like. Spouse, kids, job/college, financial commitments, etc. People without most of these will presumably be in a better place to have the time and/or money to be able to do their train excursions!

Well yeah, it is all about choice. Most of us have it to some extent.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
DarloRich:2190351 said:

Glad you're enjoying some of the reads (I do wonder which aspect you don't enjoy, but that's just who I am!), and if my broadband was any good lately I'd have a look at your Flickr. All my beer ticks are on Untappd (no surprises as to the username ;) ) if you're interested!

As for how I afford it, as Blindtraveller says budgeting is key. I've been very strict on myself with budgets, have been for several months. Well, apart from yesterday when I splashed out on an implusive post-work trip to Shrewsbury :lol:

I went into epic detail with all the budgeting and so on in a thread a good few weeks, inviting anyone with queries to PM me. No-one ever did, so it is reasonable to assume no-one wanted advice on budgeting!

I don't want to spend ages going into budgeting stuff again, I'm really not in the mood to do so. Since it's come up, I don't earn a fortune, but I live at home (not through choice, not that it should matter to anyone here!) which helps a lot. Even so, on base pay I have a lot of outgoings and have to be VERY careful in an average month. It also takes a LOT of planning ahead - and some stuff takes extra budgeting and saving for - to the extent where my calendar is now full until February 2016. Yes, really, you read that right, I have planned - but yet to book a lot of it - all the way until early 2016. Yes, really, things HAVE to be organised that far ahead!

Anything else anyone wants to ask? Would anyone like a full breakdown of my outgoings, incomings or anything else?!

fowler9

Established Member
Glad you're enjoying some of the reads (I do wonder which aspect you don't enjoy, but that's just who I am!), and if my broadband was any good lately I'd have a look at your Flickr. All my beer ticks are on Untappd (no surprises as to the username ;) ) if you're interested!

As for how I afford it, as Blindtraveller says budgeting is key. I've been very strict on myself with budgets, have been for several months. Well, apart from yesterday when I splashed out on an implusive post-work trip to Shrewsbury :lol:

I went into epic detail with all the budgeting and so on in a thread a good few weeks, inviting anyone with queries to PM me. No-one ever did, so it is reasonable to assume no-one wanted advice on budgeting!

I don't want to spend ages going into budgeting stuff again, I'm really not in the mood to do so. Since it's come up, I don't earn a fortune, but I live at home (not through choice, not that it should matter to anyone here!) which helps a lot. Even so, on base pay I have a lot of outgoings and have to be VERY careful in an average month. It also takes a LOT of planning ahead - and some stuff takes extra budgeting and saving for - to the extent where my calendar is now full until February 2016. Yes, really, you read that right, I have planned - but yet to book a lot of it - all the way until early 2016. Yes, really, things HAVE to be organised that far ahead!

Anything else anyone wants to ask? Would anyone like a full breakdown of my outgoings, incomings or anything else?!

Ha ha, I'll pass on a full breakdown of your incomings and outgoings and make do with enjoying reading your trip reports. I am very impressed that you have your trips planned that far in advance. I have places I am thinking of going at the tail end of this year and early next but I don't think you could really call them planned. :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good stuff, I hope that you may share a trip report one day ;)

Planning months in advance just has to be done. All subject to moving around again yet, bar the trip for the Borders Railway in September and the 6 day extravaganza at the end of July/early August! And before anyone asks, I started planning that one just over 2 months in advance, and to afford it all I've booked hotels and most of the fares already. Spending money, a Travelcard, a SPT Daytripper and the North West rover are all I've got to sort out now. Oh, and to do that I'm keeping money by now for the rover, just to make sure I'm not short come July. It should be more than worth all the graft whilst ill recently (which I'm just finally getting over) and in the heat too. Just a shame I have to wait ages for it!

So June is going to be relatively quiet sadly, but worth it for my 10th Basherversary!

EDIT: Sorry if tonight's posts come across as nasty, it's been a tough time lately and next week is going to be absolutely horrific. Stressful is not the word lately, and if I'm honest when it comes to money I don't like being questioned!

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I've planned most of my trips in advance too. As I've saved up myself, I made it my mission at the beginning of the year to do a bashing trip once per month, as there are several metals I've yet to traverse.

Some of my bashing trips I incorporate it into whenever I have meetings in London or Manchester, such as the Daysaver on the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway back in March.

Some of my upcoming bashing trips are the GM Wayfarer, where I will mainly be concentrating on Great Central Railway and Midland Railway metals in June, Beginning of July will be Devon and Cornwall (including walking between both St Budeaux stations, and walking between Liskeard and Coombe Junction Halt), with the second half of July being the Valley Lines network and the Hendy Junction - Swansea District PSUL. August sees me doing a five day bash in the North East (including alighting at Tees-side Airport, the Knottingley - Goole PSUL, Brigg, the British Steel Redcar station call, and various other PSUL services in the North East). Plus other areas too.

My main mission at the moment is to have been on trains that have called at all stations, and for me to have bashed all routes that have regular scheduled passenger services (including the PSULs) to be completed by 7th October next year - the day before my birthday.

In peace

Adam

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Good stuff, I hope that you may share a trip report one day ;)

Planning months in advance just has to be done. All subject to moving around again yet, bar the trip for the Borders Railway in September and the 6 day extravaganza at the end of July/early August! And before anyone asks, I started planning that one just over 2 months in advance, and to afford it all I've booked hotels and most of the fares already. Spending money, a Travelcard, a SPT Daytripper and the North West rover are all I've got to sort out now. Oh, and to do that I'm keeping money by now for the rover, just to make sure I'm not short come July. It should be more than worth all the graft whilst ill recently (which I'm just finally getting over) and in the heat too. Just a shame I have to wait ages for it!

So June is going to be relatively quiet sadly, but worth it for my 10th Basherversary!

EDIT: Sorry if tonight's posts come across as nasty, it's been a tough time lately and next week is going to be absolutely horrific. Stressful is not the word lately, and if I'm honest when it comes to money I don't like being questioned!

I am not having a go - i am impressed! You had said before you didn't earn a fortune so i am even more impressed. I have to budget incredibly hard just to get to the end of the month and not run out of money. By the time i have paid the mortgage/rent bills, council tax etc there is very little left.

Plus my work doesn't afford me the opportunity to plan very far in advance so I tend to be only able to make short notice day trips to the football. It means a v early start and a v late finish to get things done in budget. My knowledge of rovers is increasing a great deal! Hotels are SO far out of scope as to be almost mythical

As for only liking some of your posts that simply means i haven't been able to read them all yet. I cant comment on those ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.