• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

June 2024 Timetable Change

PGAT

Established Member
Another interesting observation. The 0631 from Epsom to Victoria now starts from Horsham and the 1725 from Victoria to Epsom will now continue onto Horsham

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Eliminated or just not published yet? There are still some SN trains missing on the Watford to Clapham corridor, they seem to coincide with the trains that currently run there.
There‘s possibly something in the wind about this, because in the current GTR TAA, (that’s being discussed in the thread about the West Coastway), it mentions that the rights to extend to Hemel after SCD24 will be addressed separately.

DDB

Looks like there is still one random train missing on the Derby Crewe service in the middle of the day. Anyone know the reason. I can't believe it saves much money.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Looks like there is still one random train missing on the Derby Crewe service in the middle of the day. Anyone know the reason. I can't believe it saves much money.

It saves a fortune! Needs another unit crew to resource it.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
The unit sits around all day doing nothing instead of working the trip. It does cost a driver and guard.

However, the benefit of a consistent hourly service without a random gap is well and truly lost on the DfT wombles so no doubt it is cost related.

On the other hand, unit availability is still an issue with servicing capacity being the main problem.

It saves a fortune! Needs another unit to resource it.
The unit works 1N05, arrives at 0949 and then does precisely nothing all day long sat at Eastcroft until it comes off shed to work 1K71 at 1616. This would appear to be unchanged in June.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The unit works 1N05, arrives at 0949 and then does precisely nothing all day long sat at Eastcroft until it comes off shed to work 1K71 at 1616.

Hmm. Not what I’ve been told (usually reliably!). Is it on maintenace at Eastcroft? But i stand corrected.

(earlier post edited, i should have said crew, not unit)

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Plus the Saturday service remains three round trips down, including the first to Crewe, useful for day trips.

LowLevel

Established Member
No reinstatement of 2tph at Codsall.
Just Shifnal, Telford and Wellington on the via Smethwick.
A 10 plus minute increase (33%) in journey time and the binning of the extra service they've been promising for years. That'll go down well. Time to start some protests unless they're going to reduce the fares at the same time! :lol:

devon_belle

No change to Southern 2I13 0817 Horsham to Victoria, which will still wait outside Victoria for 7 minutes. Also, still no semi-fast to Horsham via Dorking, and still no extra trains to Epsom. Woe are we!

duffield

Established Member
My superficial scan of selected EMR services shows no significant changes - the remaining missing pre-covid services I know about don't seem to have been restored this time round.
The current weekday 0708 service from Barton-On-Humber is missing from the new timetable but I guess that's a mistake, since the incoming service it forms from is there (the 0703 arrival).

Tayway

That's very frustrating isn't it. No journey time improvement at all on some of the northbounds especially. That will be dull for the driver attempting to ensure that they do not run too early with the DMUs.
Indeed, although it's nothing new for ScotRail – north of the Central Belt everything seems slower and less consistent each hour than before the pandemic. It's a similar story with the Edinburgh to Inverness via Stirling services, most which take around the same time to travel between Edinburgh and Stirling as the Dunblane stoppers despite having six fewer stops.

I think a lot of it comes from still trying to get away with using the post-EGIP timetable from circa-2018 as the foundation instead of just starting again, seeing as they've make such radical changes to service patterns in the mean time. Although in the case of the Dundee semi-fast they could do a lot worse than to re-use the 2018 timetable seeing as the journey time was a good 10 minutes faster in most cases than what is currently proposed!

Benjwri

Established Member
Anyone able to confirm if the GWR timetable is final? They appear to have cut the final three Bristol to Paddington trains, the last one is now due to leave at a stunning 8pm, which seems very early.

hux385

I can't speak for GWR, but I've noticed some 'missing' ScotRail services appearing this evening that weren't there earlier today, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's the same situation in the south west!

Benjwri

Established Member
I can't speak for GWR, but I've noticed some 'missing' ScotRail services appearing this evening that weren't there earlier today, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's the same situation in the south west!
I remain hopeful, to say losing every evening service would be a huge loss is an understatement. The previous workings for each service remain as originally scheduled, with no further workings from those platforms before the next train arrives, so I am hoping it is a mistake.

Liverpool Street - Norwich Services:

xx00 Services now call additionally at Chelmsford, where the xx30 services cease to call at Chelmsford, running fast from Stratford - Colchester. Diss/Stowmarket calls are unchanged.

Also 0800 Norwich - Liverpool Street and 1700 Liverpool Street - Norwich are now class 9 headcodes, 9P19 and 9P46 respectively. In addition, the latter also now calls at Stratford.

All trains updated to 720 timings as well which has certainly helped with the pathing of the faster Norwich trains.
It's great news for Harwich and Walton passengers who will now get consistent connections to Chelmsford (and therefore Ingatestone and Chelmsford) in both directions.

Class 720 SRTs have also been altered. Not had a detailed look yet, but more SRTs have gone up than gone down.
e.g. Bow Jn to Stratford down from 2 to 1½
Ilford to Gidea Park (pass-pass) up from 4 to 4½
Marks Tey (non-stop) to Colchester (stopping) up from 4 to 4½
Colchester to Manningtree (stop-stop) up from 6½ to 7

The new SRTs still sadly nowhere close to reflect the potential of the trains

Clacton to London trains finally gain a much needed stop at Hythe. Very welcome news. Overall, a job well done and very positive for Anglia!

bramling

Veteran Member
The remaining missing GN Peterborough peaks have been restored, but as Q paths ("Runs as required") for some reason.

So two extra trips to/from Peterborough each peak.

It will be interesting to see what stock is used for these.

The GN 387 fleet is currently (IIRC) 39 units, made up of 29x 387/1 (GN), 6x 387/3, 3x387/1 (GWR), 1x387/2 (GX).

If as speculated the GWR units are going to the west Coastway to work the Brighton-Southampton services, this reduces the GN 387 fleet to 36 units. Likewise the GX unit is presumably nominally to cover fleet project work such as ETCS, so that takes the GN allocation down to 35.

There are currently 31x 387 diagrams on GN. This would suggest the extra Peterborough services won't be 387s as if the GWR units are going then this doesn't leave enough room in the fleet to resource the two extra journeys required each peak. 700/0? Or are we finally going to see something involving the 379s, which might explain why these extra services are run as required, in that they might not actually happen?

I can't see any obvious changes to stock allocation on the rest of the GN outer suburban service group, which seems to remain at 31x387, 4x700/0 and 1x700/1.

infobleep

Veteran Member
As GTR asked for the agreement to be ended that is unlikely.
How would the GTR areegement help in this case?

I take it SWR timetable will be much the same. Ever hopeful of more fast trains from Guuldford stopping at Clapham Junction. I appreciate why the current timetable can't support this.

The trains from Haywards Heath to Redhill at 07:10 and 07:40 are welcomed but there isn't any reverse working from Redhill in the evening peak.

There are more trains from Haywardd Heath to Redhill than Redhill to Haywards Heath. I accept it won't be a massive flow of traff8c.

A S Leib

The Shropshire Star's saying that the Avanti Shrewsbury service is being scrapped. I wonder how much longer the Wrexham services have left, in that case.

The direct rail service connecting Shropshire to London will be scrapped in June due to falling passenger numbers and cuts in funding, the Shropshire Star can reveal.

The Department for Transport has confirmed that Avanti West Coast will be scrapping the service from June 2, after this newspaper obtained a leaked internal memo.

Services to the capital will depart from Birmingham New Street, while return trains will terminate at Wolverhampton on weekdays, and at Birmingham at weekends.

The company had pledged to increase direct rail connections to the capital when it took over the franchise in December 2019.

But a spokeswoman for the Department for Transport said falling passenger numbers meant the service was now losing £1.4 million a year.

"Changing travel patterns mean our railways aren’t generating the same revenues as they were before the pandemic, and we can't ask taxpayers to maintain the historically high level of financial support for the industry indefinitely," she said.

(The rest is behind a pay wall and I'm not a subscriber.)

The exile

Established Member
Anyone able to confirm if the GWR timetable is final? They appear to have cut the final three Bristol to Paddington trains, the last one is now due to leave at a stunning 8pm, which seems very early.
That would also mean nothing eastbound to/from Chippenham after about 8.30 - so they must surely appear soon!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The trains from Haywards Heath to Redhill at 07:10 and 07:40 are welcomed but there isn't any reverse working from Redhill in the evening peak.
The relevant units can go straight into the Three Bridges depot in the southbound direction, whereas a reversal at Haywards Heath is needed if they come out the south end of the depot in the morning.

gomango

Indeed, although it's nothing new for ScotRail – north of the Central Belt everything seems slower and less consistent each hour than before the pandemic. It's a similar story with the Edinburgh to Inverness via Stirling services, most which take around the same time to travel between Edinburgh and Stirling as the Dunblane stoppers despite having six fewer stops.

I think a lot of it comes from still trying to get away with using the post-EGIP timetable from circa-2018 as the foundation instead of just starting again, seeing as they've make such radical changes to service patterns in the mean time. Although in the case of the Dundee semi-fast they could do a lot worse than to re-use the 2018 timetable seeing as the journey time was a good 10 minutes faster in most cases than what is currently proposed!
The Edinburgh to Inverness services almost take as long as the ones that stop at Polmont, Linlithgow etc, because it is stuck behind a Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk High for a couple of the journeys between Edinburgh Waverly and Polmont Junction

Falcon1200

Established Member
Cathcart circle runs all day.

Good to see that, but there is still the ridiculous gap in the Neilston-Glasgow service between the 0824 and 0905 departures; And the 0905 (just now at least) is booked a 3-car only! A train which I avoid if at all possible as it becomes extremely overcrowded. Pre-Covid there was an 0841 from Neilston.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Got to feel a bit sorry for passengers for the local stations between Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury (other than Shifnal) as their journey times increase due to the train going via Tame Bridge.
Although better going towards Birmingham as any WMT passengers for Birmingham will board the new semifast which runs 5 minutes in front of the stopper at Shrewsbury for a faster journey so they will likely get a seat

Bikeman78

Established Member
So two extra trips to/from Peterborough each peak.

It will be interesting to see what stock is used for these.

How many 717 diagrams are there? I think there are a few spare. Is there any scope to use 717s to free up two 700s?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Add WMR to that list. The second Shrewsbury is showing via Tame Bridge, with Willenhall and Darlaston unadvertised
Is there any news on when they will open? It all seems to have gone very quiet over there. (and isn't there supposed to be a service to them from Walsall as well?)

MikeWM

Established Member
Looks like nothing of interest changes at Ely.

- The 0948 weekday service to Kings Cross still starts at Ely rather than back at Kings Lynn.
- Presumably the majority of Ely-Kings Cross services on Saturdays remain as 700s? (Though it matters less than before, to me at least, because between the endless closures for Cambridge South works, Cambridge resignalling and ECML resignalling, combined with strikes and weather disruption, nowadays we barely get a weekend with a service to London anyway. On the rare occasions we do, one has the choice of a 700 all the way, or switching to a GA 720 at Cambridge, or getting on a 387 that started at Kings Lynn that is usually already full by Ely. Result : I barely go to London anymore).
- No later late-night trains from London to north of Cambridge, as was promised in the 2018 timetable (I know, this is never going to happen)
- No earlier trains at Ely on Sunday mornings, first train to Cambridge/London still at the ludicrously late time of 0857.
- The very useful 0853 on Sunday mornings to Peterborough is back, but no doubt will stop again in September. This needs to run all year around rather than just for the 3 months of summer.
- Unless XC do something surprising, we still have the same Sunday situation where all three trains to Cambridge leave within a few minutes of each other, leaving a huge gap for the rest of the hour.

Still, in this case perhaps no news is good news!

I note on Northern that Rainhill etc. still only gets an hourly train for most of the day. Is this ever going to be fixed by Northern or are they stuck forever with this woefully inadequate level of service?