• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

June 2024 Timetable Change

nw1

Established Member
it’s to retain route knowledge via Cobham for Fratton drivers. Basically one of the morning 1G services runs via Woking instead of Cobham, so to ensure sufficient trips 1P32 now runs via Cobham.

Even still one might expect an early-morning down, or late-evening up, journey to do this. Woking is obviously an important interchange and it seems a bit odd to disrupt the off-peak pattern by leaving a gap in Woking provision at this time of day.

Will catch people out too, who are expecting a consistent pattern between the peaks. I suspect the on train and on-platform announcements will need to be very clear and emphasise the different calling pattern of this specific service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Even still one might expect an early-morning down, or late-evening up, journey to do this. Woking is obviously an important interchange and it seems a bit odd to disrupt the off-peak pattern by leaving a gap in Woking provision at this time of day.

Will catch people out too, who are expecting a consistent pattern between the peaks. I suspect the on train and on-platform announcements will need to be very clear and emphasise the different calling pattern of this specific service.
Well, if SWR had got their press release timetable announcement right, maybe people would have known ……

pompeyfan

Established Member

You wouldn’t be able to do it at those times as they’re crewed by London end crews. I agree a random off peak service isn’t ideal, but unless you’re going to do it in the evening peak in the up direction (like how 1G64 does) you’re never going to find a perfect time.

frodshamfella

Established Member
West Midlands Railway's priorities are a little confusing to me

The Liverpool - Birmingham service remains hourly most of the time on weekdays with only extras in the peak

Crewe - Stoke - Stafford remains as this service instead of via Tame Bridge, with that path being used by the new Shrewsbury - Birmingham service

So Crewe - Birmingham remains down to 2 per hour (1 WMR and 1 Avanti), half that it was - with no end in sight... I'd have thought using the Tame Bridge path to maintain a 2nd Liverpool - Birmingham or reintroduce the Crewe - Stoke - Birmingham service would have been preferred?

Still no late night service on LNWR Liverpool to Birmingham, not good if you have a night out of seen a show. Friday is ok, so is Sunday, not Saturday. Been like this for years.

Fortunately there is TFW hourly on the Liverpool to Chesters now which runs late on a Saturday.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Still no late night service on LNWR Liverpool to Birmingham, not good if you have a night out of seen a show. Friday is ok, so is Sunday, not Saturday. Been like this for years.

Fortunately there is TFW hourly on the Liverpool to Chesters now which runs late on a Saturday.

TfW don't serve towns between Runcorn and Crewe though.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
From what I've heard, LNWR should be going back to half-hourly on Liverpool-Birmingham from December 2024. Hopefully once this happens, later services will return

Which should've really been done 2-3 years ago.

takethegame

Disappointingly, no obvious changes (again) for EMR on the Peterborough to Lincoln route. What happened to the 'hourly service through the day and a Sunday service' that was promised as benefits from the Joint GE/GN Line upgrade and especially when Abellio took over. We still have a slightly erratic service, especially the two 'missing services' during the day resulting in a 2 hour gap between trains northbound and 2.5 hour gap southbound at one point.

Without too far into speculation, it must be possible to run a clock face service and with some investment further improvements still (e.g. double tracking at Sleaford and line speed improvements to cater for the class 170s). I'm not even sure an hourly service is always needed between Peterborough and Lincoln, with just two units it is possible to run an hourly clock face service between Peterborough and Spalding and every 2 hours between Spalding and Lincoln and hourly during the peaks, from early to late Monday to Saturday. Doncaster to Lincoln services could run through to Sleaford to fill in gaps at that end. On a Sunday just three return journeys (e.g. morning, afternoon and evening) between Lincoln and Peterborough would be a massive improvement.

LowLevel

Established Member
Disappointingly, no obvious changes (again) for EMR on the Peterborough to Lincoln route. What happened to the 'hourly service through the day and a Sunday service' that was promised as benefits from the Joint GE/GN Line upgrade and especially when Abellio took over. We still have a slightly erratic service, especially the two 'missing services' during the day resulting in a 2 hour gap between trains northbound and 2.5 hour gap southbound at one point.

Without too far into speculation, it must be possible to run a clock face service and with some investment further improvements still (e.g. double tracking at Sleaford and line speed improvements to cater for the class 170s). I'm not even sure an hourly service is always needed between Peterborough and Lincoln, with just two units it is possible to run an hourly clock face service between Peterborough and Spalding and every 2 hours between Spalding and Lincoln and hourly during the peaks, from early to late Monday to Saturday. Doncaster to Lincoln services could run through to Sleaford to fill in gaps at that end. On a Sunday just three return journeys (e.g. morning, afternoon and evening) between Lincoln and Peterborough would be a massive improvement.
The DfT. Those trains don't make money. Not running them is a cost saving on paper.

Same with Nottingham to Crewe, where despite the trains being far busier than they ever were previously carrying a reasonable amount of long distance traffic and having had an hourly service all day for decades the DfT is of the view that parking a unit up during the day and creating randomly gaps in a reliable hourly service is a worthwhile cost saving, with the prospectus for the next few years showing the potential restoration of the hourly service as an actual improvement to be delivered, despite the fact that the trains and crews required are already within the business.

I don't think anyone has commented on this yet, but Aldersbrook C.H.S seems to now get a regular working, sending a single 720 every morning to Liverpool Street to form a peak service.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Without too far into speculation, it must be possible to run a clock face service and with some investment further improvements still (e.g. double tracking at Sleaford and line speed improvements to cater for the class 170s). I'm not even sure an hourly service is always needed between Peterborough and Lincoln, with just two units it is possible to run an hourly clock face service between Peterborough and Spalding and every 2 hours between Spalding and Lincoln and hourly during the peaks, from early to late Monday to Saturday. Doncaster to Lincoln services could run through to Sleaford to fill in gaps at that end. On a Sunday just three return journeys (e.g. morning, afternoon and evening) between Lincoln and Peterborough would be a massive improvement

This also sounds expensive, and something the DfT is also unlikely to want to fund at present.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
The DfT. Those trains don't make money. Not running them is a cost saving on paper.

Same with Nottingham to Crewe, where despite the trains being far busier than they ever were previously carrying a reasonable amount of long distance traffic and having had an hourly service all day for decades the DfT is of the view that parking a unit up during the day and creating randomly gaps in a reliable hourly service is a worthwhile cost saving, with the prospectus for the next few years showing the potential restoration of the hourly service as an actual improvement to be delivered, despite the fact that the trains and crews required are already within the business.

Same with the 12:51 ex-Lime Street which continues to end its journey at Nottingham resulting in no 18:55 return from Norwich.

Alfie1014

Just don’t mention Sunday services to Colchester Town a commitment in the 2016 franchise award and never delivered even though there are no infrastructure constraints that would prevent it!

I don't think anyone has commented on this yet, but Aldersbrook C.H.S seems to now get a regular working, sending a single 720 every morning to Liverpool Street to form a peak service.
It seems to come empty from Ilford, reverse at Shenfield and then go there at like 10pm the previous night

Veteran Member
Seems really weird that they still don't serve it on Sunday
I suppose because there are no potential Colchester terminators that could be extended, so it would require an extra unit just for that. Would a free city centre shuttle from North meet most of the need?

I suppose because there are no potential Colchester terminators that could be extended, so it would require an extra unit just for that. Would a free city centre shuttle from North meet most of the need?
Or they could just extend the Waltons to Colchester like they do on every other day of the week

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Makes sense if it can be used; it can’t hold a full length (9-car) 345 so no use to Elizabeth line but a 5/6 car unit for GA would fit.

Longer term - if an agreement could be met - GA moving some units to Aldersbrook vice Ilford might free up some space for extra 345s stabling. Security might need beefing up though.

SWR have published a summary of their timetable changes:

In response to changing travel patterns, two services to London Waterloo via Epsom will be changed:

• The 0630 from Dorking to London Waterloo will depart eight minutes earlier than the current timetable, at 0622
  • The 0558 from Guildford to London Waterloo will depart 30 minutes later, at 0628
I wonder if this is really more to do with the fact that the 0701 Dorking-Waterloo changes from 10 car (458) to 8 car (455)? At present, there is a 30 or so minute gap ahead of this service and it's usually pretty rammed mid-week by Motspur Park. Reduced to 8-car, it will be leaving people (including me) behind at Worcester Park. When RTT shows it as 8-car at present, I don't bother trying, I take the bus to Morden and then the Underground. Moving the two trains mentioned in the press release shifts the half-hour gap earlier and means there will be an 0717 from Worcester Park, which should relieve pressure on the 0728. The 0717 might be pretty crammed as there will be a half-hour gap ahead of it. We shall find out in the first week of June.

Veteran Member
Or they could just extend the Waltons to Colchester like they do on every other day of the week
Which would require 2 extra units on current timings of 37min each way - unless you didn't go through to North of course. Would that serve the main flow?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Which would require 2 extra units on current timings of 37min each way - unless you didn't go through to North of course. Would that serve the main flow?
Wouldn't it only be the one extra unit as the other unit is already in use on the Walton - Thorpe shuttle (would allow the Clacton trains to be semi-fast on Sundays at least).

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Wouldn't it only be the one extra unit as the other unit is already in use on the Walton - Thorpe shuttle (would allow the Clacton trains to be semi-fast on Sundays at least).

But is unlikely to be something the funder asks for in terms of enhancements.

Alfie1014

But is unlikely to be something the funder asks for in terms of enhancements.
Sad but true, that said with GA the only TOC making positive contributions to Treasury a ‘minor’ enhancement such as this would be regarded as a quick(ish) win by local stakeholders. There’s no incentive to use the train from the coast to Colchester city centre if you have to then walk or get a bus from North station. Even a service during shopping hours 10:00-16:00 would be a start?

Veteran Member
The service could operate with 2 units, if the weekday offpeak timing of 35min could be maintained (not sure where I found 37min!), provided the Clacton service was retimed to fit. If you then made the Clactons semi-fast, you would have to revise much of the GEML timetable to fit. Maybe it needs doing, of course?

The service could operate with 2 units, if the weekday offpeak timing of 35min could be maintained (not sure where I found 37min!), provided the Clacton service was retimed to fit. If you then made the Clactons semi-fast, you would have to revise much of the GEML timetable to fit. Maybe it needs doing, of course?
But you could just make them leave later