• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Junior Driver - DB Cargo UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExMover

I’m a West Mids DB driver. The Junior Driver grade is indeed limited to yards and so West Mids will be Bescot and East Mids will be Toton. At the moment mainline drivers are covering those jobs and the idea is to release them to the mainline jobs for which they are getting paid. There is such a shortage of drivers however that, subject to satisfactory performance in the Junior role, you’d soon be progressing to the mainline pretty quickly I think. Also, having done plenty of shunt moves at both Toton and Bescot, I struggle to see how the Junior Driver role will work without being fully mainline qualified; both yards are split by busy mainlines and therefore many of the shunt moves require movement over or along these lines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class323201

I’m a West Mids DB driver. The Junior Driver grade is indeed limited to yards and so West Mids will be Bescot and East Mids will be Toton. At the moment mainline drivers are covering those jobs and the idea is to release them to the mainline jobs for which they are getting paid. There is such a shortage of drivers however that, subject to satisfactory performance in the Junior role, you’d soon be progressing to the mainline pretty quickly I think. Also, having done plenty of shunt moves at both Toton and Bescot, I struggle to see how the Junior Driver role will work without being fully mainline qualified; both yards are split by busy mainlines and therefore many of the shunt moves require movement over or along these lines.

I currently work for West Mids Trains as a Senior Conductor and are thinking of applying for the role. I was just looking for a little bit more info if possible? I know it varies depot to depot but what would the earliest book on/off be, shift patterns, any requirement to lodge away, typical day, rdw, and any other info would be greatly appreciated.

ExMover

I currently work for West Mids Trains as a Senior Conductor and are thinking of applying for the role. I was just looking for a little bit more info if possible? I know it varies depot to depot but what would the earliest book on/off be, shift patterns, any requirement to lodge away, typical day, rdw, and any other info would be greatly appreciated.
I think you’d work almost exclusively at Bescot. If you get the same shifts as the mainline drivers, the turns are 0600-1700, 0800-1900, 1900-0600. There are some shorter ones as well so that overall you end up doing 4 on 3 off and 35 hrs per week. There’ll be loads of rdw if you want it.

Class323201

I think you’d work almost exclusively at Bescot. If you get the same shifts as the mainline drivers, the turns are 0600-1700, 0800-1900, 1900-0600. There are some shorter ones as well so that overall you end up doing 4 on 3 off and 35 hrs per week. There’ll be loads of rdw if you want it.
Thanks for the info just trying to weigh up if it’s potentially a good move. Just writing the pro’s and con’s list

Atishyou

Exmover has covered a lot of this, but as a junior driver, there would be no requirement to lodge anywhere. As has been said, overtime will probably be readily available too and promotion to mainline is likely within a few years if not sooner.

Class323201

Exmover has covered a lot of this, but as a junior driver, there would be no requirement to lodge anywhere. As has been said, overtime will probably be readily available too and promotion to mainline is likely within a few years if not sooner.
Thanks for this. Just eating up the pros and cons

ExMover

Thanks for this. Just eating up the pros and cons
Don’t take too long, these opportunities have a habit of being taken down well before the closing date. My only advice would be to think of it as the first rung of the ladder in the driver grade. Climbing it is way easier than getting onto it in the first place. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Didcot1

Don’t suppose anyone knows what psychometric tests will be carried out for the junior driver role? I’ve beeb looking for the last few days on-line and Keep getting different ones come up all the time with the GBT being the only consistent presence. Don’t want to practice something that’s not worth while.

Atishyou

Don’t suppose anyone knows what psychometric tests will be carried out for the junior driver role? I’ve beeb looking for the last few days on-line and Keep getting different ones come up all the time with the GBT being the only consistent presence. Don’t want to practice something that’s not worth while.

You'll do the exact same tests as for a mainline driver application.

Markdev

Anyone know why they wouldn’t want you to apply if you’ve passed your tests within the 6 months ?

doubleamber

I have applied, I privately funded my Train Driver assessment back in 2011, so i'm thinking this is now out of date.
I'm looking at a career change at 44, do you think I'm to old , will they look at my age?

DA

Atishyou

I have applied, I privately funded my Train Driver assessment back in 2011, so i'm thinking this is now out of date.
I'm looking at a career change at 44, do you think I'm to old , will they look at my age?

DA

Yes they'll look at it, no, I don't think you are too old.

ExMover

Thanks,

All I can do is see, if I get the opportunity that is, I'm leaving a job on similar salary (qualified) so its not really about the money.
I didn’t become a driver til I was 52 and, like you I came from outside of the railway. Age is absolutely NOT an issue! It’s you and what you can do that they’re interested in, not how old you are.

Markdev

Got a phone call yesterday from a lady at db asked a few questions, she mentioned that it is eventually aimed at being a mainline driver, told me about it being shifts and weekends etc but nothing to in depth so far and just said she will pass it on to a manager

Atishyou

Got a phone call yesterday from a lady at db asked a few questions, she mentioned that it is eventually aimed at being a mainline driver, told me about it being shifts and weekends etc but nothing to in depth so far and just said she will pass it on to a manager
She'll pass what on to a manager? What do you want to know?

Markdev

She'll pass what on to a manager? What do you want to know?
Maybe my answers to the questions she asked and maybe they look at it from here and decide if I get further or not I’m not overly sure, have you ever done a DMI for anybody ?

Atishyou

Maybe my answers to the questions she asked and maybe they look at it from here and decide if I get further or not I’m not overly sure, have you ever done a DMI for anybody ?

I was going to try to help answer your questions. I've had a DMI, yes,but I've not conducted one.

Markdev

I was going to try to help answer your questions. I've had a DMI, yes,but I've not conducted one.
What sort of questions do they ask at a dmi please I have never had one yet but got one coming up for a toc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.