• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kamikaze wood pigeons and my windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergusjbend

Part of the problem is that woodpigeons and other doves have poor forward-facing binocular vision. Their eyes (like those of most potential prey species) are on the sides of their heads to enhance the radius in which they are able to detect potential predators. By contrast, raptors such as hawks, falcons and owls have forward-facing eyes - but even they sometimes fly into picture windows.

So stick-on silhouettes of sparrowhawks or peregrines are likely to have a limited effect, because they are not easily detected by pigeons. Plastic models of eagle owls are often effective for a while, but the pigeons soon get habituated to their presence and ignore them. Exterior curtains or blinds certainly work, but are not always practical.

Best of all is to borrow a Harris's Hawk form your local falconer - but you won't be very popular with your neighbours who like to feed the blue tits!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welly

Vertical blinds can reduce pigeon impact but they do block the view outwards!

My Dad once saw a parrot flying into our window, it wandered dazed for about 15 minutes before eventually flying off.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Vertical blinds can reduce pigeon impact but they do block the view outwards!

My Dad once saw a parrot flying into our window, it wandered dazed for about 15 minutes before eventually flying off.

Unless they are in colonies such as have been established near Crystal Palace and Richmond in London parrots are in grave danger of being mobbed and attacked by other birds, resourceful creatures though they may be. Escaped parrots don't often survive very long in this country if not caught - I'm a parrot owner and very conscious of the perils of the great outdoors.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Unless they are in colonies such as have been established near Crystal Palace and Richmond in London

Those are in fact parakeets - and they're much more widespread than that now; they are a regular sight in the Epsom area as well and I suspect also most of the rest of Surrey / South London / West London. I've heard of sightings in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire as well.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I wonder if any other website members suffer from similar occurrences and can offer any explanation for this avian behaviour.

A lot of birds and insects don't seem to be able to see double glazed glass until they hit it. Since our windows have been replaced by new ones with a synergy 70mm profile it seems the number of birds hitting the windows have gone down.

I can also advise on a solution to get blackbirds stuck up your chimney out. One was stuck in our chimney for a few days. It decided to suddenly emerge on the sound of John Humphreys voice saying "Today we've got Iain Duncan Smith on the show"!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I can also advise on a solution to get blackbirds stuck up your chimney out. One was stuck in our chimney for a few days. It decided to suddenly emerge on the sound of John Humphreys voice saying "Today we've got Iain Duncan Smith on the show"!

Love it!:lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The best thing to do is to brick the window up and paint a railway tunnel onto the wall, the pigeon will then fly into the tunnel and be chased out by a cartoon train, which could be a cop. Two birds with one stone.

Howardh

Established Member
They probably see a reflection of sky and trees etc in the glass and think they are flying towards another wood.

They're not the brightest of creatures :D

I looked after a poorly pidge (and was quite sad when he recovered and was ready to go...) but his intelligence was amazing! But, of course, glass and reflections aren't in their DNA, but I would wonder if one flew into a window, whether they would learn and not do it again (at least not the same window).

Meanwhile - how come flies, wasps and bees can enter your house through a tiny hole but can't get out through a wide open window?? I'm sure there's a genuine reason I've read somewhere (air pressure??)

DaleCooper

Established Member
Meanwhile - how come flies, wasps and bees can enter your house through a tiny hole but can't get out through a wide open window?? I'm sure there's a genuine reason I've read somewhere (air pressure??)

It's a probability thing - there are thousands of flying insects outside but only one or two inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.