• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ken Bruce Quits BBC Radio 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
I wasn't suggesting it should focus exclusively on the 70s, but rather from, say, the mid-60s to the mid-00s - at the expense of the current stuff which is really Radio 1's department (as Radio 1 is presumably the station aimed at the teens and twenties market).

I do actually welcome the apperance of more 90s dance music, as I thought that was the one thing lacking about 10 years ago (when it was otherwise pretty good).

Well I'm 35-55 but closer to 55 than 35 (sadly), hence my mixed feeling that there are some improvements and some deteriorations.

I started listening to R2 around 2001, and at the time my opinion was perhaps the opposite: I liked many of the presenters (including Ken Bruce) but thought there wasn't enough more modern music!

I wasn't picking on you specifically, it's just yours was the post which appeared most relevant to respond to with regards how things will change as time moves on.

Radio 2 has often in the past carried modern music, it's just that it is generally been the more acceptable to those outside of the key Radio 1 demographic.

Interestingly it's not that uncommon for Radio 1 within it's dance music shows to play 90's dance music or at least more modern music which samples some of the dance classics from the 90's.

It's where iPlayer comes into its own, in that you can listen to the story of music styles you like when you want to (that and skip over any talking you doesn't want to listen to - for example travel reports when you're not driving anywhere that day).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
I find the Sara Cox show good for this, seems to focus a bit more on older, relatively speaking (80s, 90s, early 00s) music.

The music is ok but she is utter garbage.

She clearly reads off a cue sheet every day as the introductions to her banal quizzes and features are repeated word-for-word with either dull monotone or horribly fake enthusiasm which comes across as grating and not a little annoying. Or maybe it's just me?

PaulC1309

I do think that Radio 2 did need to modernise a bit and Steve Wright going was a good thing but i do like Ken and he kept me company when I was working from home. I will probably still listen for popmaster. Sometimes though things need a refresh. I actually like Scott Mills and the music he is playing is a lot more contemporary. He does need a sidekick though.
Vernon Kay would be good but maybe better on breakfast replacing Zoe Ball who is awful. I'm 49 and gave up on radio 1 a few years ago as the music is awful. Greg James would be a decent choice as well to replace Ken as he must be getting too old for radio 1 (well their management anyway)

Bevan Price

Established Member
It won't affect me. I don't listen to music on BBC. With the exception of R3, it thinks that "music" only equates to 3 minute "pop hit singles", past or current, and that anything else is irrelevant. Yes - there may be token coverage of "minority" types (country, jazz, etc.) - but 90% of the output I find boring & repetitive.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It won't affect me. I don't listen to music on BBC. With the exception of R3, it thinks that "music" only equates to 3 minute "pop hit singles", past or current, and that anything else is irrelevant. Yes - there may be token coverage of "minority" types (country, jazz, etc.) - but 90% of the output I find boring & repetitive.

'Pop' is of course short for popular which seems to suggest it has broader appeal than more niche-interest genres like country and jazz as you mention. Therefore it's hardly surprising that daytime radio on a national station attempts to appeal to the masses by playing 'pop', surely?

I'm sure there are plenty of minority-interest stations available that play jazz, country or Tibetan nasal flute music all day long if that's your bag.

duncanp

Established Member
'Pop' is of course short for popular which seems to suggest it has broader appeal than more niche-interest genres like country and jazz as you mention. Therefore it's hardly surprising that daytime radio on a national station attempts to appeal to the masses by playing 'pop', surely?

I'm sure there are plenty of minority-interest stations available that play jazz, country or Tibetan nasal flute music all day long if that's your bag.

But for Radio 2 it is, or at least it should be, about the presenter and what they say in between each piece of music, just as much as the music itself.

In fact, for presenters like Sir Terry Wogan, I listened more for the humour and chat in between the music than the actual music that was played.

If you just wanted to listen to a particular type of music all day, there are various commercial stations, or you can make up a playlist on a streaming service.

12LDA28C

Established Member
But for Radio 2 it is, or at least it should be, about the presenter and what they say in between each piece of music, just as much as the music itself.

In fact, for presenters like Sir Terry Wogan, I listened more for the humour and chat in between the music than the actual music that was played.

Indeed, which is why it's a shame that Ken is leaving Radio 2.

Bevan Price

Established Member

That is one viewpoint.
But on the other hand, it could be said that some music never gets the chance to become popular because it never gets played on radio - so very few people get the chance to hear so-called "minority" music. Some music geeks choose a playlist of what they think we ought to like, and little else is allowed that week. I am not saying all "pop" is rubbish, but I have heard little that can be described as fresh and original for many years.

johncrossley

Established Member
If you were to look at the music of choice from Radio 2 in 1992 I'd guess that it would have been 1950 onwards and so it's just updating it's music to suite the same age range as before.

At that time, Radio 2 was in a particularly geriatric phrase, targeted at the over 50s only. Most of the music was similar to what they played when it was still the Light Programme. They didn't really play pop music from any era. It was easy listening and light music. That didn't matter too much as Radio 1 was still catering for all pop music from 1960 onwards.

Radio' 1 did its famous modernisation a couple of years later, banning music from before 1990, but Radio 2 didn't start playing 60s to 80s pop until 1997 ish. So the 30 to 50 year olds were lost to commercial oldie station at that time.

Last edited:

Bobdogs

On Moderation
Only listen to R2 for pop master which I enjoy and will listen to on GHR.
At all other times, I will continue to listen to Absolute.
I pay £3.99 a month for 19 stations, no adverts, and on certain premium stations no presenters just proper music. No Little Micks, Will Young or similar dross.
No more R2 for me when Ken leaves.
Good luck to him.

12LDA28C

Established Member
That is one viewpoint.
But on the other hand, it could be said that some music never gets the chance to become popular because it never gets played on radio - so very few people get the chance to hear so-called "minority" music. Some music geeks choose a playlist of what they think we ought to like, and little else is allowed that week. I am not saying all "pop" is rubbish, but I have heard little that can be described as fresh and original for many years.

Much of Radio 2's output during the day, Ken Bruce's show included, is chart hits from the 1960s through to the present day, also with some new releases thrown in. Given that the older stuff were hits in their day, they are/were 'popular' by definition. If you want 'fresh' and 'original', then you should be listening to Radio 1 for the latest sounds, whether they are to your taste or not.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Much of Radio 2's output during the day, Ken Bruce's show included, is chart hits from the 1960s through to the present day, also with some new releases thrown in. Given that the older stuff were hits in their day, they are/were 'popular' by definition. If you want 'fresh' and 'original', then you should be listening to Radio 1 for the latest sounds, whether they are to your taste or not.
No thanks. I gave up Radio 1 many years ago. Last time I "passed through" R1 looking for something better, it just seemed like music for teens and sub-teens, often so-called "dance music" almost devoid of melody.

If I listen to music radio, then - although far from perfect, Planet Rock comes closest to my tastes.

As a result of his departure announcement, Radio 2 have already lost 400k listeners.

Ken Bruce will leave Radio 2 after losing 400,000 listeners as commercial rivals lure audiences from the UK’s biggest station.

The latest Rajar figures show why Radio 2 bosses are relaxed about an exodus of DJ talent, led by veteran Bruce, who quit for a new show on rival Greatest Hits Radio.

Bruce, who is leaving his mid-morning show after 31 years, has seen his audience fall from 8.6 to 8.2 million year-on-year. His show remains Britain’s most listened to, with Zoe Ball’s Breakfast Show audience also falling slightly to 7.14 million.

AM9

Veteran Member
As a result of his departure announcement, Radio 2 have already lost 400k listeners.
Although he's just had a well celebrated 80th birthday, I wonder when R2 will start edging Tony Blackburn out of the door. Not every R2 listener's choice, but his departure would leave a big hole in the audience.

lachlan

Although he's just had a well celebrated 80th birthday, I wonder when R2 will start edging Tony Blackburn out of the door. Not every R2 listener's choice, but his departure would leave a big hole in the audience.
When is Tony Blackburn on? I see a slot at 6am tomorrow. I don't think they're so fussed outside of the day time slots. After all, Annie Nightingale is still on Radio 1 and she's in her 70s (?)!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When is Tony Blackburn on? I see a slot at 6am tomorrow. I don't think they're so fussed outside of the day time slots. After all, Annie Nightingale is still on Radio 1 and she's in her 70s (?)!

He also does the golden hour on Sunday evenings.

Perhaps Ken got tired of being forced to blather on about smart speakers and other modern hocus pocus every five minutes.

johncrossley

Established Member

The latest survey covers the period until December, before his departure was announced. RAJAR figures fluctuate quite wildly so you need to follow longer term trends, preferably over several years. Their weekly reach is still over 14 million, as it was in 2019.

The Ham

Established Member

However 400k is 4.7%, whilst that could be a worry if it were part of a long term tend, however as a one off nothing significant.

lachlan

He also does the golden hour on Sunday evenings.

Perhaps Ken got tired of being forced to blather on about smart speakers and other modern hocus pocus every five minutes.
We had Northsound 1, part of Bauer Radio who I believe Ken Bruce is moving to, on at my old work. I'll take the smart speaker discussions over "you could win £££ on the cash register" etc all the time. Plus so many adverts!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We had Northsound 1, part of Bauer Radio who I believe Ken Bruce is moving to, on at my old work. I'll take the smart speaker discussions over "you could win £££ on the cash register" etc all the time. Plus so many adverts!

Yes, the "so many adverts" are my likely reason for staying with the BEEB.

duncanp

Established Member
Those 400k people must have a vision into the future as the rajar diary closed before he announced his departure

We will have to see what the first set of figures after the announcement of his departure is like.

Then look at the first set of figures a few weeks after the inevitable nonentity who takes over from Ken Bruce hits the airwaves.

johncrossley

Established Member
Yes, the "so many adverts" are my likely reason for staying with the BEEB.

Some stations have premium options where you can pay to have an ad free version of that station. Otherwise there is no alternative to advertising. There used to be a limit of about 9 minutes of adverts per hour but that went away many years ago. A lot of the smaller stations that are only on DAB and online have very few adverts, but they are likely not making any money at the moment. For example, 80s Rhythm only seems to have about 2 ads per hour.

Jamiescott1

We will have to see what the first set of figures after the announcement of his departure is like.

Then look at the first set of figures a few weeks after the inevitable nonentity who takes over from Ken Bruce hits the airwaves.
Hoping its Vernon kay who takes over.
Not a fan of Jeremy but radio 2 will have a really strong line up right through until midnight (11pm on Fridays) on weekdays

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Hoping its Vernon kay who takes over.
Not a fan of Jeremy but radio 2 will have a really strong line up right through until midnight (11pm on Fridays) on weekdays

I do like Vernon. He's been storming the morning show recently.

The 90's focus has been enjoyable for me (personally) though in Ken's slot, I'd hope he'd include more 60's - 80's as well.

Jamiescott1

Really?

Who are all these mystery presenters?

Scott mills, Jo whiley, spoony, Trevor Nelson, Sara cox are all excellent accomplished presenters.
The least experienced is sara cox who only has 24 years experience in radio compared to Trevor with 37 years experience on mainstream radio

12LDA28C

Established Member
Scott mills, Jo whiley, spoony, Trevor Nelson, Sara cox are all excellent accomplished presenters.
The least experienced is sara cox who only has 24 years experience in radio compared to Trevor with 37 years experience on mainstream radio

Scott Mills isn't that great and Sara Cox is just appalling. She presents as if she's reading her lines off an autocue. Shocking.

Get Liza Tarbuck in, now she is funny and a breath of fresh air.

Status
Not open for further replies.