• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kenilworth railway station

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
XC stop at several small stations which only they serve, like Manea. These stations tend to get a poor service, so I can't imagine Kenilworth getting a frequent service from XC (though a token twice daily service might be nice, in addition to LM).

As far as I'm concerned the XC service through Manea is an entirely different type of route to the XC service between Leamington and Coventry, and they shouldn't really be seen as comparable.

They only happen to belong to the same TOC because of the way DfT insisted on breaking up Central Trains back in 2007. Would operate just as well if LM or EMT had the minor branches of the current XC network...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Surely it makes more sense just for one stop maybe until electrification is complete then extend a Birmingham-Coventry stopper to Leamington? That might make more sense in the long run, giving Leamington an extra service to New Street.

It would be nice, though Leamington already enjoys an excellent service into Birmingham (4 or 5tph, two to New Street and two or three to Moor Street/Snow Hill depending on the time of day) so getting into the second city from Leamington isn't really a problem at the moment. The service to Coventry really needs improving though. Even sending both XC services via Coventry would be a start.

joeykins82

The RUS already calls for all XC services to run via Coventry. I can't see them stopping at Kenilworth though.
There won't be a Bicester North terminator once the line to Oxford has opened.
Good point. Hourly shuttle then I suppose!

tractakid

As far as I'm concerned the XC service through Manea is an entirely different type of route to the XC service between Leamington and Coventry, and they shouldn't really be seen as comparable.

They only happen to belong to the same TOC because of the way DfT insisted on breaking up Central Trains back in 2007. Would operate just as well if LM or EMT had the minor branches of the current XC network...

Willington, then?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Surely it makes more sense just for one stop maybe until electrification is complete then extend a Birmingham-Coventry stopper to Leamington? That might make more sense in the long run, giving Leamington an extra service to New Street.

It would be nice, though Leamington already enjoys an excellent service into Birmingham (4 or 5tph, two to New Street and two or three to Moor Street/Snow Hill depending on the time of day) so getting into the second city from Leamington isn't really a problem at the moment. The service to Coventry really needs improving though. Even sending both XC services via Coventry would be a start.

Do most of the people boarding Manchester-bound XC services at Leamington alight at Coventry?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
A significant number do as far as I can tell, but the service is so infrequent that surely it just puts a lot of people off of making the journey by train in the first place? XC might not see that as being their problem but I'm not talking about how an operator chooses to define their identity ("we are not a local service" ) I'm talking as about long overdue improvements to the railway in Warwickshire.

Eagle

Established Member
A significant number do as far as I can tell, but the service is so infrequent that surely it just puts a lot of people off of making the journey by train in the first place?

Plus it's quite expensive compared to the X15/X18 bus, and usually overcrowded.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do most of the people boarding Manchester-bound XC services at Leamington alight at Coventry?

I'd say the majority of them will alight either at Coventry or at Birmingham New Street.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Plus it's quite expensive compared to the X15/X18 bus, and usually overcrowded.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'd say the majority of them will alight either at Coventry or at Birmingham New Street.

I just looked at the fares and it seems XC charge 50% more than CH for a single to Brum.

I can't imagine many choosing the former.

orpine

Measuring it, the passing loop at Kenilworth is about 900m long.

From experience, quite a lot do.

Particularly off-peak when the difference is only 11%.

Chilterns are much better - free wifi and there are always seats; plus lots of tables too. Why people would choose XC over Chiltern I have no idea. I guess maybe they want to go to New Street specifically? Or save 10 minutes on the journey?

Eagle

Established Member
Or be able to take the first train that comes? I don't know either.

Of course, all the people getting off New Street could just be going somewhere further afield.

(Also not all Chiltern services have wifi; only trains that have come from London will. Anyway who really uses wifi on a 25-minute journey?)

orpine

(Also not all Chiltern services have wifi; only trains that have come from London will. Anyway who really uses wifi on a 25-minute journey?)
Me? :) (the journey is about 40mins btw - range of 28mins to 53)
But good catch.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Ok so a Coventry-Leamington shuttle would be more reliant on Leamington-Coventry traffic than traffic from Kenilworth.

Eagle

Established Member
Ok so a Coventry-Leamington shuttle would be more reliant on Leamington-Coventry traffic than traffic from Kenilworth.

Probably, but don't underestimate Kenilworth. It'll be a major passenger draw when it opens.

There are currently a lot of Kenilworth-based commuters who drive to Warwick Parkway to travel to both Birmingham and London.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Tile Hill is also a massive draw and would still arguably be a better place to go if/once this gets off the ground.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

The original reason for XC to run Birmingham-Leamington via Coventry was to serve the then-new Birmingham International.
As far as I can see the fare is the same on all three TOCs (Any Permitted, set by XC).

The Planner

Veteran Member
You could have the laughable situation of split ticketing for Kenilworth - Birmingham as Virgin do a cheaper ticket from Coventry.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could have fooled me. Whilst technically an Intercity operator, the Voyager operated services do a "great job" at stopping at numerous stations that really should only be served by regional or other local services.

D1009

Established Member
I recall in BR days, probably around the time Leamington to Coventry was reopened as a passenger route, that there was a proposal to reopen Kenilworth station. This caused outrage amongst the local people who saw the proposal as devaluing their locality!

TheWalrus

Established Member

Probably, but don't underestimate Kenilworth. It'll be a major passenger draw when it opens.

There are currently a lot of Kenilworth-based commuters who drive to Warwick Parkway to travel to both Birmingham and London.

Why?

However Kenilworth won't have a direct London service so maybe people will still drive to Warwick Parkway?

trains2064

Why?

However Kenilworth won't have a direct London service so maybe people will still drive to Warwick Parkway?

I will start by pointing one important thing and that is in the rush hour from the centre of Kenilworth it can take 30 minutes+ to get to Coventry/Warwick Parkway/Leamington in the rush hour! Leamington or Coventry stations will be less than 10 minutes by train. Even waiting for 20 Minutes will still be a combined 30 minutes.

Yes as I here the will be no direct train to London.

The plan I believe will be for 2 100m platforms with room to add another 100m if required that equites to 8 Class350 cars.

Virgin will not be happy to let Chiltern anywhere near Coventry so service will probably be run by LM who are the train operater involved with the project.

Hopefully things should be in place for the project to move forward soon.

Train service will be at least be hourly Nuneaton to Leamington which is phase 2of project Nuckle. Other services would be an extension of a Coventry terminater. I know its been suggested that the are no off peak coventry terminating trains but between now and 2016/17 the timetables at both ends could be altered or recast so I would suggest the will be at least an hourly Leamington to New Street service. I have hurd a few people mention Walsall!

If and When HS2 is completed the the slowing down or removal of the need for speed on West Coast or Chiltern/Cherwell Valley lines could lead increased local trains on Coventry Corridor as well as extra services for Leamington to Banbury?Oxford/Reading on one of the most overcrowed sections of line.

Kenilworth station will change the fortunes of this town and will be used by plenty to get out from here. I live 8 minutes from the station sight and work about 5 minutes from Leamington Station so i will use the train, as will plenty of others I know. it will also bring plenty in as the tourist guides refer to the place as 'Warwickshires Best Keeps Secret'.

I can't wait. Bring it on.
:D:D:D:D

The Planner

Veteran Member
The plan I believe will be for 2 100m platforms with room to add another 100m if required that equites to 8 Class350 cars.

The extra length has not been confirmed.

Virgin will not be happy to let Chiltern anywhere near Coventry so service will probably be run by LM who are the train operater involved with the project.

Virgin have no say in it, there is no moderation of competition anymore. Chiltern won't be interested in it anyway and LM are the only operator that can provide the service.

Train service will be at least be hourly Nuneaton to Leamington which is phase 2of project Nuckle. Other services would be an extension of a Coventry terminater. I know its been suggested that the are no off peak coventry terminating trains but between now and 2016/17 the timetables at both ends could be altered or recast so I would suggest the will be at least an hourly Leamington to New Street service. I have hurd a few people mention Walsall!

There will be no service to Nuneaton for the foreseeable future , Coventry council wouldn't be pursuing the bay platform at Coventry otherwise. A West Coast recast won't be until December 16 if it happens. Any other service speculation is exactly that, speculation.

trains2064

The extra length has not been confirmed.

Virgin have no say in it, there is no moderation of competition anymore. Chiltern won't be interested in it anyway and LM are the only operator that can provide the service.

There will be no service to Nuneaton for the foreseeable future , Coventry council wouldn't be pursuing the bay platform at Coventry otherwise. A West Coast recast won't be until December 16 if it happens. Any other service speculation is exactly that, speculation.

The station is being designed to allow for the extra 100 if required yes the is no confirmation yet but the design work WILL allow room for it!

Sadly sum operators do have more than a health imput. For example with Wrexham and Shropshire debarcal!

The is nothing to say the will not be a direct Nuneaton service from 2016/17 it wouldn't be the first time third party money has been flittered away on a white elephant project! The one thing it is safe to say is it will NOT be a Leamington to Coventry shuttle. The is lots of time and money to be spent though at Leamington, Kenilworth, Coventry and Nuneaton before anything happens!

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
The one thing it is safe to say is it will NOT be a Leamington to Coventry shuttle.

I take it you are privvy to something NR, LM the DfT and Coventry council are not then? I have seen the reports, nothing apart from either a Coventry - Kenilworth or Coventry - Leamington service is being looked at....

trains2064

I take it you are privvy to something NR, LM the DfT and Coventry council are not then? I have seen the reports, nothing apart from either a Coventry - Kenilworth or Coventry - Leamington service is being looked at....

I will say no more other than I work within the industry and live in Kenilworth.

Last edited:

TSR :D

The usage of this station will be probably similar to Tile Hill and Warwick Parkway, probably less if there's no direct trains to Birmingham.

Although in rush hour, traffic in Kenilworth is pretty bad, so I'd guess it would be useful for commuters who wish to avoid either of stations mentioned above.

Passenger usage of the station could increase massively if Warwickshire council joins Centro thus allowing PTE tickets, I can't see that happening, can we?

GazUk

I will say no more other than I work within the industry and live in Kenilworth.

I remember a year or so ago that I read a letter from Warwickshire county council in regards to the "nuckle" plan between WCC,NR and centro phase 1 is to sort out the services/stations between Coventry and Nuneaton and phase 2 is to have (or meant to be) having a local service running between leamington and Nuneaton with it stopping at kenilworth and the Ricoh.

I know people have said on here that it can't happen having a nun-leam through service as it would cross the wcml path but i am sure it could and can happen,although the only negative I see to it all is a station at the Ricoh (the debacle at ccfc does not help!) back on subject I can only see kenilworth being a LM only station and can not see why xc would want to stop there!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Green light for Kenilworth

Announced by the DfT. So a Coventry Leamington shuttle like I kept saying it would be, no mention of across Coventry to Nuneaton (shock horror....)

A new station in Kenilworth has been given full final approval and paves the way for new local services.

Plans for a new £11.3 million station in Kenilworth have been given final approval today (12 December 2013) under the government’s multi-million pound New Stations Fund.

The Department for Transport has approved the allocation of £5 million from the fund following confirmation that the station can be built without adversely impacting other network improvements. The station will significantly improve connectivity for passengers and businesses across the West Midlands.

Construction of the station paves the way for new local services to start running between Coventry, Kenilworth and Leamington Spa in December 2016.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said:

“The government recognises the importance of strong transport links for local communities and the economy. That is why we have been working hard to make sure Kenilworth station becomes a reality.

“This will provide real benefits both to passengers and to local businesses, providing improved connectivity across the West Midlands and to London, and helping create jobs.

“This is further proof of the government’s determination to transform the network through our record levels of investment.”

In July the Transport Secretary announced he was minded to approve the bid from project sponsor Warwickshire County Council, subject to further work being carried out by Network Rail to assess its viability.

Future work to improve the network could mean direct local electric trains running via Kenilworth to Birmingham in 2019.

The £5 million investment for Kenilworth represents the biggest single allocation since the launch of the New Stations Fund. This is part of the £38 billion being invested in our railways from 2014 to 2019, which will help modernise the railways and provide massive benefits to both passengers and the UK economy.

Kenilworth Station was just one of the bids for the New Stations Fund which has allocated £13.6 million for the construction of new stations since its launch in January. Other successful bids include:

•Lea Bridge (East London)
•Pye Corner (Wales)
•Ilkeston (East Midlands)
•Newcourt (Devon)

Last edited:

Buttsy

Established Member
Would be nice if the electric service, when running, were extended down to Oxford covering the local stations...Give an opportunity for a station in the Harbury/Bishop's Itchington area long term as well.

Before anyone says anything, I know it won't happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.