• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Key for red signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Could I ask what the key is that you press when approaching a red signal, because the emergency brakes come on and I am getting really annoyed <(

Thanks, Andy

MOD NOTICE: PLEASE SPELL AND PUNCTUATE CORRECTLY IN FUTURE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

66's are evil

Overspeed Sensor (OSS)

Overspeed sensors are placed on the approach to signals (usually just before the AWS magnet) and at the commencement of some speed restrictions. Those asociated with signals are active only when the signal is showing red; the others are always active. If you drive too quickly over an active OSS, your train will be brought to a stand.
The speed limit in force over an OSS is either that indicated on the adjacent sign, or, when approaching signals, a value typically from 30-60mph, depending on the location of the signal. A common value used in BVE routes is 35mph, unless the local speed limit is already lower than this.

If you trip an OSS, the following events occur:

the brakes are applied fully

the Brake Demand lamp flashes
Pressing and releasing the AWS reset button [Insert], causes the Brake Demand lamp to illuminate steadily, but the brake demand is maintained for a period of one minute, after which it is released automatically and the Brake Demand light goes out. You may now restart the train.

Remember - you may have to return the power handle to off to release the interlock before reapplying power.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
If you get tripped on the speed trap approaching a red signal, you are going too fast to be able to comfortably stop at the red. You want to aim to be doing between 20 and 30mph when you pass the speed trap, and between 10 and 15mph when passing the AWS. There is no point rushing up to a red signal and barely stopping in time, you'll just end up waiting longer for it to clear, and if you apporach slow, the chances are it will clear before you reach it, then you will get a rolling start, rarther than having to start from a stand (very useful with heavy trains, especially when rail conditions are poor). With freights though, you need to be even slower, and the speed trap trip speed for locos is lower (2/3 of the passenger speed I think) when pulling frieght than passenger or light engine. So far only the 66 simulates this, but hopefully other locos should have this feature aswell eventually.

Tomnick

Established Member
Maybe I'm stating the obvious here - but you did press 'insert' to cancel the AWS horn as you ran over the magnet?

devon_metro

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Maybe I'm stating the obvious here - but you did press 'insert' to cancel the AWS horn as you ran over the magnet?

Yes, although it seems to trip me out before i run over the AWS. Must be because im still going at about 60Mph over that section of track :lol:

Guinness

Established Member
Remember you can turn off the safety systems by Pressing Page Down. I usually do it just before the tunnels at Hammerwich seen as I'm always run 5 minutes late.....

Tomnick

Established Member
Yep, not too far away - usually about 100 yards in rear of the AWS magnet?

Coxster

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Yep, not too far away - usually about 100 yards in rear of the AWS magnet?
I think this little diagram I made is correct:

BVEGridsAndOSSs.jpg

Tomnick

Established Member
Yep, that's about it - put the OSS loops about two or three coach lengths in rear of the magnet?

Coxster

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Yep, that's about it - put the OSS loops about two or three coach lengths in rear of the magnet?
Steve Wright has informed me that it can vary for each signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.