• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross Barriers Incorrectly Retaining Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I made a journey from Stevenage to London Bridge earlier today.

I could’ve got a direct Thameslink train but I had some business at Kings Cross so I caught a direct train from SVG to KGX before continuing my journey from STP to LBG.

The barrier at the KGX suburban gateline incorrectly retained my ticket and I had to get the attendant to retrieve it for me. He was an excellent member of staff and we ended up having a discussion about the validity of tickets to London Thameslink v Terminals :D

He told me that since a software upgrade the barriers now retain tickets issued to London Thameslink despite them having onward validity although tickets to London Terminals do get returned correctly.

Perhaps someone from GTR might read this and arrange for the software upgrade to be undone...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
Oddly, if anything, I noticed yesterday that the King's Cross barrier didn't retain my ticket despite it (a GC Advance) being only valid to King's Cross.

TUC

Established Member
Different Gateline different TOC.
Not always a different gateline. GC trains use both parts of the station. Besides which, how gatelines work in the same station with multiple operators should not vary according to TOC.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Not always a different gateline. GC trains use both parts of the station. Besides which, how gatelines work in the same station with multiple operators should not vary according to TOC.
Why not? St Pancras has 3 distinct gatelines and there is no reason they should all work in exactly the same way.

TUC

Established Member
Why not? St Pancras has 3 distinct gatelines and there is no reason they should all work in exactly the same way.
Because 'is 'x' ticket valid beyond this station?' is the same question regardless of the gateline or TOC.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As it happens my train arrived on platform 8 and I popped through to platform 9 to use the suburban gateline as I was heading to STP and didn’t want to ‘double back’ via The exit gateline at the front of the station...

Status
Not open for further replies.