• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross (KGX) to Barking (BKG) via LUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hello Guys - If I purchased a Anytime Day Single from KGX to BKG via LUL - would the ticket be valid if I enter the LUL system at Russel Square?
The route I would take is:-

Piccadilly Line to Leicester Square
Northern Line to Embankment

then

Circle / District to Tower Hill

then c2c to BKG from FST.

I am only asking to avoid LULs extortionate prices!

Thanks Guys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
The ticket would be issued from ZONE U1234*LONDN rather than Kings Cross, so yes would be valid from Russell Square.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As it is available online should I buy it online and not run the risk of it not being available from the Self Service Ticket Machines?

Will I be able to but it from one at KGX?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oh dear - LU aren't that expensive, are they?! :lol:

That they are, £4 for an adult cash single! When I can do the journey (KGX to BKG) 1A 1C with a Fam & Fri Railcard for less than that!!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Zone 1 to Zone 4 single is £4.00 cash or £2.40 off peak Oyster or £3.10 peak Oyster. Double this for a return. Break of journey is not permitted, but it would be the same price from any Zone 1 station.

There is also a National Rail fare from London Terminals, at £4.00 single or £8.00 cash, however I do not see how this is valid from King's Cross unless there is a new rule about these zonally priced tickets, although if not then you can simply get a Finsbury Park to Barking +Via LU/DLR at £4.00 single / £8.00 cash this would allow a cross London transfer but you cannot enter the system at Russell Square.

John @ home

Established Member
Hello Guys - If I purchased a Anytime Day Single from KGX to BKG via LUL - would the ticket be valid if I enter the LUL system at Russel Square?
£4 for an adult cash single! When I can do the journey (KGX to BKG) 1A 1C with a Fam & Fri Railcard for less than that!!!
Family & Friends railcard discount is not available on London Underground only tickets. If you enter Kings Cross to Barking for 1 adult and 1 child with Family & Friends railcard into NFM 05 CD, it does indeed show a total SDS fare of £3.65 (£2.65 + £1), but double clicking on the fare shows that this is a London Terminals to Barking route Any Permitted ticket, which is not valid on the underground in central London.

There is no permitted route by rail between Kings Cross and Barking. London Terminals - Barking tickets are valid at Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street and no other London terminal. www.eastcoast.co.uk does not offer any tickets by rail from Kings Cross to Barking.

I would not expect a London Terminals to Barking route Any Permitted ticket to open the tube gates at Russell Square.

What age is the child? Accompanied children under 11 have free travel on the underground.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can only try! Thanks All - if it does only print London Terminals on the ticket
John @ home said:
but double clicking on the fare shows that this is a London Terminals to Barking route Any Permitted ticket, which is not valid on the underground in central London.
I wont loose much! As I can still use it from Fenchurch St (FST). Just would have been handy to have from KGX.

I will buy and let you all know if it works!!!

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
John, if you enter Kings Cross into Avantix, as you say you get a London Terminals ticket. However, if you enter Zone U1234* Zones, with the railcard you get £3.65 for 1 adult, 1 child.
Transport Photo, if using the East Coast site (or any other powered by WebTis), you will get the £3.65 fare by inputting Zone U1234* Londn to Barking. This will be valid from Russell Square.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
John, if you enter Kings Cross into Avantix, as you say you get a London Terminals ticket. However, if you enter Zone U1234* Zones, with the railcard you get £3.65 for 1 adult, 1 child.
Transport Photo, if using the East Coast site (or any other powered by WebTis), you will get the £3.65 fare by inputting Zone U1234* Londn to Barking. This will be valid from Russell Square.
but nothing comes up - all it says is
East Coast said:
No fares have been found for the selected journey.

Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have booked with SWT online and will take the conformation with me - it shows LUL to Fenchurch Street (FST) so will get round some how!

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
Good luck!
by the way, it would be appreciated if you could use the full station names, at least somewhere in your first post or title. That way, the information is more readable to anyone else who comes along and doesn't understand all the codes.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes it's useful if full names are used at least once, and it is a requirement in the guidelines that the full names appear in the title. See Fare advice guidelines. I have edited this topic's title to add the full names.

Although it's quite quick and easy to put the codes into Avantix (or any booking site, LDB etc). The main thing is that correct codes are used. Incorrect codes must never be used. The most annoying wrong ones are the code for Llanishen being used for London Liverpool Street or Liverpool Lime Street (e.g. "The train from Norwich to LLS" :roll::roll::roll::roll: when it is impossible to know what they mean, but you just know they're wrong as there are no trains to Llanishen from Norwich) and the code for Barnes being used for Birmingham is another one that some 'newbies' make.

Station codes

AlexS

Established Member
Or alternatively, some West Midlanders like myself who don't mess around with CRS codes on forums (I only really use them for tapping into LDBs) and know New Street as BNS, Moor Street as BMS and so on! I would place a bet that New Street has been known as BNS for far longer than CRS has been in existance!

It's an abbreviation for a name rather than an incorrect CRS code and yes, I do know that National Rail consider BNS to be Barnes, but when someone says BNS to me, New Street comes to mind :)

CRS codes are only helpful if you know every CRS code, whereas abbreviations such as these are generally fairly common sense.

It's usually contextually evident that the post is regarding Birmingham New Street rather than Barnes anyway!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But the point of codes isn't just to result in less typing but also to make it easy for us all to look up the fares on Avantix/Thetrainline/Atos origin websites, or times on LDB. Introduce wrong codes and that falls apart. I change any I see that are wrong, but fortunately the vast majority used here are correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.