• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross/Liverpool Street - Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
There are 3 reasonable ways to get to London to Norwich in my eyes:

Liverpool Street - Norwich via Ipswich (the usual GEML route)
Liverpool Street - Norwich via Cambridge (the WAML route)
Kings Cross - Norwich via Cambridge.

When I look up the London terminals to Norwich online via BR fares it simply says 'any permitted'. Where do I (or really, where can I) find out what is and isn't permitted?

I suspect that normal ticketing is just for the GEML route. Does engineering works like those on 24th December mean you can go a different route (most likely via WAML?) or are you still limited?

And finally slightly related:
A ticket from St James Street - Norwich has a not via London option*. What route do you take for that?

*I have a priv ticket hence the low fare

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andythebrave

Kings Cross via Cambridge is fine.
St James Street overground to Walthamstow, underground to Tottenham Hale then via Cambridge or to Highbury & Islington then via Stratford.
I guess you could also go from Highbury via Cambridge.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thank you. Where does found what routeing is actually allowed for journeys on NR? I have a feeling this could be a very big document...
Several in fact, coming in at well over 2,000 pages. The National Routeing Guide is a detailed source, showing lists of permitted routes for every possible journey.
NRG said:
This guide shows the full range of permitted routes available for use with tickets on the National Rail network. The content has been approved by the Department for Transport. If you are planning a journey we would strongly advise you to make use of the Journey Planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk. Any ticket indicated for use in conjunction with a particular journey when using the Journey Planner will automatically be valid for the route and service indicated.
Clearly, it isn't practical to look up the full list of permitted routes every time you travel somewhere, so the National Rail Enquiries website is another authorised source; if the journey planner shows a route as valid using one ticket (not a combination) then you're good to take that route.

clagmonster

Established Member
The information to determine permitted routes is contained within the National Routeing Guide, which can be found at: http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide

All the London Terminals are members of the London Group.
http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pink_pages.pdf pages 39-40

Norwich is a routeing point.
http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pink_pages.pdf page 46

Routeing permissions for London Group - Norwich are: EA, KE and WA+AB.
http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/yellow_pages.pdf page 1157

EA gives:
London Group - Stratford Group - Romford Group - Witham - Marks Tey - Colchester - Manningtree - Ipswich - Stowmarket - Norwich

KE gives:
London Group - (via one, both or neither of Essex Road and Highbury & Islington) - Finsbury Park - Alexandra Palace - (via either Hertford North or straight up the main line) - Stevenage - Hitchin - Cambridge - Ely - Norwich

WA+AB gives:
WA: London Group (via Stratford or Hackney Downs) - (either Seven Sisters or Tottenham Hale) - Cheshunt - Stansted Group - Cambridge
AB: Cambridge (either via Kennett or direct) - Ely - Norwich
http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps

So all three of your reasonable ways are valid.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
St James Street overground to Walthamstow, underground to Tottenham Hale then via Cambridge or to Highbury & Islington then via Stratford.
I don't think that fare is valid on the Underground. A more likely route I feel is St James Street - Hackney Downs - WALK - Hackney Central - Stratford - Norwich - Brundall.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Does the London Underground Victoria Line no longer have interavailable fares anymore?
My (admittedly still developing) understanding is that the interavailability is for fares that include travel in Underground Zone 1. So you if you were going to say Oxford Circus, rather than having to change at Liverpool Street and take the Central Line, you can change on to the Victoria Line at Walthamstow Central and have Underground travel in zones 2-3 included for only the price of a zone 1 Underground add-on. I don't think the interavailability applies to fares routed "NOT VIA LONDON". But I might be wrong.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Both St James Street - Hackney Downs / Central - Stratford - Norwich and St James Street - Hackney Downs / Central - Highbury & I - Finsbury Park - Cambridge - Norwich seem reasonable to me.

As long as you are on a reasonable route, you won't have any issue, especially so if using staff travel facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.