• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Knowsley freight terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix24

Found this article dated from April on the expansion of site for 750 metre waste freight.

Potter have won a 30 year contract to transport household waste to the North East, fantastic news for the Kirkby line and I am sure additional work will also be found.

But will it cause problems for Merseytravel's plans for Merseyrail to be extended to Headbolt Lane?? Additional trackwork would need to be undertaken, admittingly its been some years since in the are

http://www.logisticsmanager.com/Articles/20374/Potter+Logistics+wins+20+million+SITA+deal.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wbbminerals

Could this potentially result in some more trans-pennine freight via Manchester, Huddersfield, Wakefield etc? It's been a long time coming.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Could this potentially result in some more trans-pennine freight via Manchester, Huddersfield, Wakefield etc? It's been a long time coming.

It does mean that yes! However the very bad news is that Transpennine is not going to be route cleared above W8 so.... reducing impact completely.

wbbminerals

What does W8 mean? Similar bin trains run from Manchester to Scunthorpe at the moment, though they are on borrowed time I believe. Not surprising considering that they have run for around 20 years and the hole at Roxby is almost full!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What does W8 mean? Similar bin trains run from Manchester to Scunthorpe at the moment, though they are on borrowed time I believe. Not surprising considering that they have run for around 20 years and the hole at Roxby is almost full!

Loading gauge. W6 W8 W10 and W12.

STANDISH

Yes up to two trains per day. Also possible rubbish from some councils in West Yorkshire going to the North East.

Possible delays with this contract, because the other bidder(Covanta) for the Contract has complained about the way the contract was given. Covanta have gone to the High Court to try to overturn the decision.

wbbminerals

Yes up to two trains per day. Also possible rubbish from some councils in West Yorkshire going to the North East.

Sounds like a good use for Wakefield COBRA if such a scheme ever came to fruition. Though I can't see why it would leave Yorkshire as there is a new 'multi fuel' power station being built at Ferrybridge and there is a possibility of another waste-burning plant being built near Eggborough.

mwmbwls

Found this article dated from April on the expansion of site for 750 metre waste freight.

Potter have won a 30 year contract to transport household waste to the North East, fantastic news for the Kirkby line and I am sure additional work will also be found.

But will it cause problems for Merseytravel's plans for Merseyrail to be extended to Headbolt Lane?? Additional trackwork would need to be undertaken, admittingly its been some years since in the are

http://www.logisticsmanager.com/Articles/20374/Potter+Logistics+wins+20+million+SITA+deal.html

Potter also have plans to use thier Knowsley site for the receipt of container trains from Felixstowe and London Gateway. Ironically this announcement came out as part of a Liverpool Superport announcement - An LEP sponsored initiative to boost the Port of Liverpool.
Potter Logistics is pleased to announce the first stage of the upgrade to their rail freight terminal (RFT) on Knowsley Industrial Park has been commissioned to begin in autumn 2013. Potter Logistics are intending to invest £2.3m in their terminal to provide trackside facilities to load and unload the new SUPERPORT length (700m+) multimodal trains from the deep sea ports of Felixstowe, Southampton and London Gateway.
The first stage in this programme is the gauge clearance of three obstacles on the branch line into Knowsley to provide access for High Cube (9 feet 6 inches tall) containers. Network Rail cleared the first obstacle during the summer and have planned works on the second obstacle at Sandbrook Road Bridge ( next to the former Orell Coal yard) for early December. The third obstacle in Upholland Tunnel will be cleared early 2014. Potter Logistics will then invest in an extension to their existing terminal headshunt (to provide capacity forthe longer trains), install additional rail infrastructure and commence building a container terminal on the south side of their facility.Matthew Lamb, Managing Director of Potter Logistics said,“This is anexciting development for our Knowsley RFT as part of the freight infrastructure of the Knowsley Industrial Park and SUPERPORT region. This area lacks intermodal freight handling capacity, and this investment will lead to growth as well as jobs in the wider North West economy

HowardGWR

Established Member
Yes they do as they run on the route already.
Thanks YB. You gather I am not over-familiar with all the trans Pennine railways.

I suppose it's really only max - ISO containers that give the loading gauge a problem and some other stuffs (e.g. minerals) are the opposite of the expression 'cubed out' being very much 'cubed in' by their mass.

Last edited:

high camera

The Greater Manchester Roxby trains will cease when the new power from waste incinerator is open at Runcorn I believe, then the 3 GM depots will push their trains west instead of east.

Why Liverpool waste cant go the short distance to Runcorn is a puzzle, so much for green practices. :roll:

8A Rail

Established Member
The Greater Manchester Roxby trains will cease when the new power from waste incinerator is open at Runcorn I believe, then the 3 GM depots will push their trains west instead of east.
The train paths have been in the system for about 12 months now to Runcorn which work out approx 3 per day in and out. The arrival / departure lines and unloading facilities are already completed at Folly Lane, just waiting for the completion of the incinerator which I understand will be in the new year.

Why Liverpool waste cant go the short distance to Runcorn is a puzzle, so much for green practices. :roll:
I understand your thoughts but it would be not be transported by rail though, probably all go by road on an heavily congested route already via the Runcorn/Widnes bridge and we really dont need any more traffic on there as it is! So may be not such a bad thing that it goes elsewhere (hence North East as per original thread message).

Last edited:

high camera

Ahh forgot about Runcorn bridge bottleneck !!

Point taken. There is a new mersey crossing planned though.

What would be the likely routing of the Knowsley trains to Teeside.

Also what route will the Denton & Pendlebury binliners take to Runcorn ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Also what route will the Denton & Pendlebury binliners take to Runcorn ?

Can someone confirm how many rail-served waste compaction depots there are in the Manchester area as I thought that there were four of these.. I know of the one at Newton Heath, as the rail tracks there are two single lines...one Manchester Metrolink and the other to the waste compaction depot. Is there also one in the Bredbury area ?

high camera

Apologies I meant Bredbury not Denton.

I think there are only 3 ?

Bredbury, Northenden and Pendlebury (just north of Salford Crescent)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Apologies I meant Bredbury not Denton.

I think there are only 3 ?

Bredbury, Northenden and Pendlebury (just north of Salford Crescent)

Again I am confused. Has the one at Newton Heath now closed, for if so, surely the heavy rail line is no longer required and can ensure its change to the Manchester Metrolink specification and a second platform can be built at the Metrolink stop at Newton Heath and Moston. This will clear a Manchester Metrolink bottleneck there.

M60lad

I'm sure Newton Heath is still open as I still see Bin Wagons heading there regularly and its the reason why the Manchester Metrolink goes to single line through the area as the goods trains need the other line to enter and leave the plant and also the through line to turn round, surely if its closed Metrolink system could use the other line

8A Rail

Established Member
There is only three waste locations being served by Runcorn Folly Lane which are Northenden, Bredbury and Brindle Heath (Pendleton).

This is the plan for 2013 but will be tweeked / change I'm sure when the trains begin to operate next year?

4F32 (SX) 05.53 ex Northenden (arr 07.08)
4F31 (MO) 09.14 ex Bredbury (arr 11.31)
4F33 (MO) 09.15 ex Bredbury (arr 13.22)
4F33 (MX) 09.14 ex Bredbury (arr 12.26)
4F35 (SX) 18.57 ex Northenden (arr 20.26)
4F34 (SX) 20.30 ex Brindle Heath (arr 23.20)

4H32 (SX) 10.17 to Northenden (arr 11.52)
4J34 (SX) 10.56 to Brindle Heath (arr 15.09)
4H35 (SX) 13.30 to Northenden (arr 14.56)
4H33 (SX) 17.14 to Bredbury (arr 19.45)
4H37 (SX) 22.30 to Bredbury (arr 01.16)

As for routes as follows as far as I can established as I am not familiar with some of the lines:
(1) Northenden: Deansgate Junc, Altrincham, Northwich, Weaver Junc.
(2) Bredbury: Guide Bridge, Heaton Norris, Stockport, Edgeley Junc, and as above (1)
(3) Brindle Heath: Salford Crescent, Manchester Victoria, Ashton Moss North Junc, Denton, Heaton Norris, Stockport, Edgeley Junc, and as above (1)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Can someone confirm how many rail-served waste compaction depots there are in the Manchester area as I thought that there were four of these.. I know of the one at Newton Heath, as the rail tracks there are two single lines...one Manchester Metrolink and the other to the waste compaction depot. Is there also one in the Bredbury area ?

One at Northenden on the Stockport-Altrincham line.

Geeves

Established Member
The reason Newton Heath isn't shown on those times is because it is a trip working of a half consist splitting and joining at Brindle Heath :D. Only a short siding at NH you see.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The reason Newton Heath isn't shown on those times is because it is a trip working of a half consist splitting and joining at Brindle Heath :D. Only a short siding at NH you see.

Thanks for that....at least it still is a working waste compaction facility.

Bad news for my vision of the Manchester Metrolink stop at Newton Heath and Moston having two running lines and two platforms that were there when it was Dean Lane heavy rail railway station...:cry:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Just so i know, is this waste facility that is going to close the same one that causes the single track section on Metrolink?

If this rail is no longer needed is there a chance that we could double track that section of Metrolink which i believe is causing reliability problems.

8A Rail

Established Member

As follows:
6J45 18.30 (SX) Dean Lane - Brindle Heath,Pendleton (arr 19.08)
6J44 15.56 (SX) Brindle Heath,Pendleton - Dean Lane. (arr approx 17.10hrs)

Status
Not open for further replies.