• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Labour MP murdered in shooting/stabbing incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
The BBC reported the phrase as "Put Britain first" which is obviously a different statement from what you want it to be, and an alleged witness has said he did not hear anything said

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Can you not show just a little bit of respect given the nature of this thread?:roll:

I have shown my respects, but not on this particular forum. What I object to is the hypocritical pontificating of those who claim they don't want this death to be political, whilst desperately politicising it in the process.

Antman

Established Member
I have shown my respects, but not on this particular forum. What I object to is the hypocritical pontificating of those who claim they don't want this death to be political, whilst desperately politicising it in the process.

Well go on then......................who exactly is doing that?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I'm not sure calling this is terrorism is appropriate, the perpetrator apparently has mental health issues and whatever his motives were it would appear that he was acting alone. It was cold blooded murder and comes at a time when MP's are becoming increasingly concerned about their safety and clearly there is a fine balance to be struck.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Deflecting wildly from the underlying structure and motives that caused this attack, whilst the same benefit is never given to those who commit atrocities in the name of groups they don't support.

The attack was what it was, with the motives being what they were. At least we should be consistent in our condemnation if we are to truly not make this political.

pemma

Veteran Member
The BBC reported the phrase as "Put Britain first" which is obviously a different statement from what you want it to be, and an alleged witness has said he did not hear anything said

I imagine most people in that situation would be in a state of panic and won't be listening carefully to everything that's being said/shouted.

ExRes

Established Member
Presumably a reference to what the murderer is reported to have shouted, twice.

Interestingly though, the eye witness has also said today that he doesn't actually know whether the man shouted 'Britain first' or 'Put Britain first', a rather subtle difference I think

Gutfright

Jo Cox was on a list of "Red Tory" mp's complied by Momentum who wanted her de-selected. I imagine a few members of that nasty little group might be rapidly deleting their history folders.
They then put a tribute on their website to her which just proves what a despicable bunch they are.

Jo Cox was categorised as "core group negative" on a list of MPs' attitudes to Corbyn compiled by a group of pro-Corbyn Labour MPs.

Can you provide a link to the list of "Red Tory" mp's compiled by Momentum, or any evidence Momentum wanted her de-selected?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
This bloke was mentally ill and I wouldn't say he represents the Brexit movement or even Britain first, but we will have to see about this.

I agree - what angers me is the hypocrisy in condemnation by certain people, though.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Interestingly though, the eye witness has also said today that he doesn't actually know whether the man shouted 'Britain first' or 'Put Britain first', a rather subtle difference I think

Yes, I've seen the reports and agree. I'm just surprised the reference to the words, whatever they were, escaped Antman as per the comments in post #55.

Harbornite

Established Member
I agree - what angers me is the hypocrisy in condemnation by certain people, though.

In this situation, people should look over the political issues and focus on the fact that a woman has been murdered by a nutcase. There may well be political motives for the attack but that doesn't change anything.

Antman

Established Member
Yes, I've seen the reports and agree. I'm just surprised the reference to the words, whatever they were, escaped Antman as per the comments in post #55.

Well it's not entirely clear what, if anything, he actually said.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
In this situation, people should look over the political issues and focus on the fact that a woman has been murdered by a nutcase. There may well be political motives for the attack but that doesn't change anything.

Political motivations are part of what made the attack what it was - we can't just ignore them because they're unsavoury/inconvenient/unpleasant. We certainly don't do it when Islamic terrorism occurs.

pemma

Veteran Member
Jo Cox was on a list of "Red Tory" mp's complied by Momentum who wanted her de-selected. I imagine a few members of that nasty little group might be rapidly deleting their history folders.
They then put a tribute on their website to her which just proves what a despicable bunch they are.

Not wanting someone in your party certainly doesn't mean you're happy to see them brutally murdered.

Antman

Established Member
Political motivations are part of what made the attack what it was - we can't just ignore them because they're unsavoury/inconvenient/unpleasant. We certainly don't do it when Islamic terrorism occurs.

How do you know? It may have been some personal issue? Like I said a bit of respect is needed on this thread.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
How do you know? It may have been some personal issue? Like I said a bit of respect is needed on this thread.

Why are you not this sceptical with Islamic attacks? Your fake respect in order to deflect from your potential political association is the real problem here, not my calling you a hypocrite.

backontrack

Established Member
The Conservatives have indicated they will not contest the by election as a mark of respect towards to a much-loved and respected politician.

That is a generous and decent tribute.
I hoped they would. :smile:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Today at school we had a minute's silence in assembly in memoriam of Jo Cox. A nice gesture, I thought.

pemma

Veteran Member
Report on the ITV news just now said about Jo Cox helping to set up a Friends of Batley station group and helping to get safety improvements for passengers crossing the line.

Established Member
I hoped they would. :smile:
Today at school we had a minute's silence in assembly in memoriam of Jo Cox. A nice gesture, I thought.

Well I'm 2 minds about that, yes in one way its a nice gesture, but on the other hand I'm sure Jo Cox would have wanted to see democracy at work, and personally I would have liked the option to vote for the candidate of my choice, perhaps with no campaigning

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'd only heard her name mentioned a couple of times before yesterday but it does seem the journalists didn't have to work hard to find genuinely positive things she had achieved in a short period as being a MP to report on.

I think it's because most MPs aren't bad. We have allowed ourselves to believe the hype that they're all rotten.

And even those who might have done some bad things may still work hard for their constituents. Indeed, some of their actions might be for their benefit on a local level.

LateThanNever

I think that the suspected perpetrator really is likely to be of unsound mind.
But that is likely to be all the more reason that he has been encouraged by the toxic terminology of the Brexiters, David Cameron, and Goldsmith with their slurs on Sadiq Khan before the London Mayoral elections and almost all of the tabloid press most of the time.
So underfund mental health – indeed all health, make everyone feel like loosers when they earn less than £20K, ask people to fear outsiders and be surprised when people take desperate measures to ‘correct’ their situation.

And Cameron got a first at Oxford.

backontrack

Established Member

But Elizabeth Taylor didn't! :lol:

Speaking in off-topic mode for a second, it is absolutely terrible the way that mental health treatment has been neglected. The hospital in York closed fairly recently, and that's a city with surprisingly high male suicide rates. One can only hope that people realise that this cannot be ignored any more.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
None of the main political parties will contest the by-election, which imo is entirely appropriate in the circumstances: otherwise, a year after a General Election, if you were so minded, you could conspire to murder enough MPs to secure a change of government. No other party can be seen to be profiting from such a situation. The only trouble now, in every sense, will be the rabble-rousers who will stand against the Labour candidate, especially if the referendum result goes according to the current state of the polls.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Is that the person who got terrified when his details got out, suggesting he might be targeted himself? By who, I am not sure - but it seems he may either have said he heard something he didn't, and want to backtrack, or he wants to backtrack because of threats.

Who knows?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I think that the suspected perpetrator really is likely to be of unsound mind.
But that is likely to be all the more reason that he has been encouraged by the toxic terminology of the Brexiters, David Cameron, and Goldsmith with their slurs on Sadiq Khan before the London Mayoral elections and almost all of the tabloid press most of the time.
So underfund mental health – indeed all health, make everyone feel like loosers when they earn less than £20K, ask people to fear outsiders and be surprised when people take desperate measures to ‘correct’ their situation.

I absolutely agree with all of this.

Harbornite

Established Member
On another note, I was present at a speech that was made outside the Birmingham Council hose regarding the death of Jo Cox, there was a fairly large crowd present.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The murder of Jo Cox is a cowardly, wicked and despicable act. It is also desperately sad, no more so then when you see Jo and her young family on the Thames just a couple of days before her murder. The picture shows such a happy, contented and joy filled family outing on the Thames with her two little children at the front of the boat. What fun that must have been for those two little children, aged three and five. And just a couple of days later a man full of hate and evil decided to destroy everything that we see in that picture. And all because he had a different political outlook to Jo.

I'm a proud Dad and I could never have imagined my children growing up without their Mum and that is what is so heart breaking when you think of that little boy and girl. I can only hope that they are able to carry the memory of their Mum in the years to come.

Finally, I have to say that Jo Cox's husband is far more of a man than I could ever be for the way in which he reacted to his wife's death. Within an hour he was able to find the words to describe how he felt. I wouldn't have had the courage to do that, in fact I don't think I would be able to lift myself off the floor if some coward had taken my wife's life.

I cannot get the picture of Jo Cox and her family out of my head and I suspect that will be the case for sometime to come.

We need as a nation to understand that we are under threat from Far Right political parties who wish to encourage hatred towards other UK citizens and all the mindless intimidation and violence that goes with it.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
The murder of Jo Cox is a cowardly, wicked and despicable act. It is also desperately sad, no more so then when you see Jo and her young family on the Thames just a couple of days before her murder. The picture shows such a happy, contented and joy filled family outing on the Thames with her two little children at the front of the boat. What fun that must have been for those two little children, aged three and five. And just a couple of days later a man full of hate and evil decided to destroy everything that we see in that picture. And all because he had a different political outlook to Jo.

I'm a proud Dad and I could never have imagined my children growing up without their Mum and that is what is so heart breaking when you think of that little boy and girl. I can only hope that they are able to carry the memory of their Mum in the years to come.

Finally, I have to say that Jo Cox's husband is far more of a man than I could ever be for the way in which he reacted to his wife's death. Within an hour he was able to find the words to describe how he felt. I wouldn't have had the courage to do that, in fact I don't think I would be able to lift myself off the floor if some coward had taken my wife's life.

I cannot get the picture of Jo Cox and her family out of my head and I suspect that will be the case for sometime to come.

We need as a nation to understand that we are under threat from Far Right political parties who wish to encourage hatred towards other UK citizens and all the mindless intimidation and violence that goes with it.

Good points.

That is a fair point. His membership of far right groups might well have been a motive.

Gutfright

We're not under.threat though. I understand the sentiment but that kind of hyperbole doesn't help anyone. All you're doing is giving the stormfags power they don't have and respect they don't deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.