• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lack of Anytime return on South Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevmonk

Why do South Eastern not offer an Anytime period return from St Albans to Canterbury when there is an equivalent Off Peak period return (SVR)

On day tickets the differential between the Off-Peak Day return and Anytime Day return is fairly small - £37.40 versus £44.50.

The Off-Peak period return SVR is not much more more at £39.40 but if I need to travel in peak I have to fork out for two singles at £40.40 each totalling £80.80.

Is there any logic to this? (all the prices are for HS1 travel)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

74A

Its a legacy from BR days. Network South East as was got rid of most barrier staff. On busy trains in the morning peak it would be impossible to check every ticket so people would simply reuse the Anytime return ticket again and again. By making them valid for one day only this could not happen and also meant they did not to have to employ a load of staff just to check tickets.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
And if you travel in the peak period using a SVR then what would the correct excess fare be?

Isn't this the exact situation that Anytime Short Returns (SHR) were introduced to solve? (And not to replace SORs as Northern seem to be very keen on doing!)

Last edited:

PeterC

Established Member
Its a legacy from BR days. Network South East as was got rid of most barrier staff.
NSE? I remember the validity of local tickets on what would now be TfL Rail being cut to day of issue only when I was at school in the 1960s.

TUC

Established Member
Its a legacy from BR days. Network South East as was got rid of most barrier staff.

So much for the urban myth that it's nasty TOCs that started reducing station staff.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Last edited:

trevmonk

One way to get around the problem is to purchase a 'not HS1' ticket and purchase a HS upgrade. The 'not HS1' ticket is valid from St Pancras in the evening peak but the 'Plus High Speed' ticket isn't!

I tried this on the outward peak leg from St Albans but there was a £13 supplement to pay at the South Eastern barrier before boarding at St Pancras which makes it about the same as the HS1 ticket anyway.

kieron

Established Member
You can get a Luton Airport Parkway-Canterbury anytime return. That costs slightly more than two "any permitted" St. Albans-Canterbury singles, so is only worth it if you intend to stay somewhere overnight on the way there or back.

I think Hadders' reference to buying an excess was for if you were happy to travel after the morning peak, but would find the afternoon restriction inconvenient. You haven't said anything about a specific journey, so I do not know if you would find that useful.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think Hadders' reference to buying an excess was for if you were happy to travel after the morning peak, but would find the afternoon restriction inconvenient. You haven't said anything about a specific journey, so I do not know if you would find that useful.

That's correct. I've assumed outward travel after the morning peak but return travel during the evening peak. We can better advise if we know your exact journey requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.