• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lack of fast trains from Crewe-Milton Keynes in the morning peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that the timetable isn't optimal for people doing a two hundred and fifty mile daily commute between two towns (not cities) doesn't mean that the railway is failing, just that the railway is more suited to providing the bigger links directly.

I'm not sure anyone in this thread has said the railway is failing because of a lack of CRE-MKC trains in the morning peak, I certainly haven't. I was just genuinely surprised, that is all. Pleased to see it has sparked such a discussion though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, some people (however few they are in number) don’t have much of a choice. Either the very poor train service offered in the morning or drive. Neither of these work for me, so looks like I will have to turn down the role, or ask Network Rail to kindly base me in Manchester instead.

apply to work flexibly and find a train that does work. This is the 21st century. I know loads of people who work in MK but live in Stoke, Tamworth, Crewe, Lichfield etc. That is what they do. There doesn't seem to be an issue., You may well find it quite a common thing ;)

The Planner

Veteran Member
Presumably your line manager will be a grown up and as long as the work gets done and you do the 35 hours then it shouldn't really matter when you arrive and leave.

fowler9

Established Member
It is sustainable and if the 1 hour fast VT trains run in the morning peak, it would be an easy commute for me if that were the case. Though I appreciate it would be challenging for others, and seeking a temporary relocation were easier.

In any case, I will be asking if it is possible to do the role in Manchester, if not, I will have to decline the opportunity.
People commuting 250 miles a day is not sustainable. The planet is already being used way above levels of sustainability.

bramling

Veteran Member
People commuting 250 miles a day is not sustainable. The planet is already being used way above levels of sustainability.

I agree. And from a workplace point of view, in my experience at least those living long distances away have a habit of being unreliable, or become a pain in the arse wanting changeovers or everyone else to work around them (a pound for every time I've heard "please can I do so and so shift because I live miles away"!).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree. And from a workplace point of view, in my experience at least those living long distances away have a habit of being unreliable, or become a pain in the arse wanting changeovers or everyone else to work around them (a pound for every time I've heard "please can I do so and so shift because I live miles away"!).

The Government, of course, does not help this by persisting with the mobility tax, aka stamp duty. They should be exempting people from it completely if simply moving house rather than purchasing an investment property.

apply to work flexibly and find a train that does work. This is the 21st century. I know loads of people who work in MK but live in Stoke, Tamworth, Crewe, Lichfield etc. That is what they do. There doesn't seem to be an issue., You may well find it quite a common thing ;)

Which trains do your acquaintances from Crewe travel?

sd0733

Established Member
The 16:19 from Milton Keynes has loads of Network Rail staff travelling back to almost every station on the route so very common to finish early.

Clip

Established Member
Would you pay £500 a month for a one way journey that takes 2 and a half hours to get you to work? You'd quickly become exhausted.

I don’t think leaving the house at 5 every day is sustainable, nor an ideal situation for the work-life balance, educational commitments etc.

Depends on your age really - done it before and had no adverse side effects for a good year and a half of doing a similar journey time of 1hr50 is each way plus a tube for each leg too. All depends on whether you want a job and the experience bad enough to commit to it - if not then you either dont go for the job or move closer.

infobleep

Veteran Member
See post 16!
So what? "Fast to London" is a curse on the rest of the country. Compare Reading or East Croydon, where very few trains fail to call.
Clapham Junction is another where in the peaks on the South West Main Line, trains don't stop. This is due to increase in number and length of time too.

I admit Clapham Junction is only 10 minutes away from London Waterloo so one could double back if they don't mind paying more for the prvillage.

InOban

Established Member
The trouble with expecting people to relocate nearer their work is that others in their household will also have careers and may wish/need to remain where they currently live.

6Gman

Established Member
I would choose to live most places before Crewe, it really is not a very nice town. I'm told neighbouring Alsager is nicer, that said.

Maybe not Luton though :)

Only a matter of opinion, but there are plenty of nice areas in Crewe. And very nice places on its edge.

6Gman

Established Member
The trouble with expecting people to relocate nearer their work is that others in their household will also have careers and may wish/need to remain where they currently live.

And they may have family responsibilities - children or elderly parents.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Only a matter of opinion, but there are plenty of nice areas in Crewe. And very nice places on its edge.

The town centre is grim, but then I suppose so is Bletchley's. (This is one thing I don't like about living here - I would rather live in a place with a town centre that is a nice place to spend time).

6Gman

Established Member
The town centre is grim, but then I suppose so is Bletchley's. (This is one thing I don't like about living here - I would rather live in a place with a town centre that is a nice place to spend time).

Ah, but only 4 miles away you've got the lovely town centre of Nantwich.

Whereas just down the road from Bletchley you've got ... 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.