• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancaster - Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
I'm planning an All Line Rover next easter and I'm curious about what stock the 0858 from Lancaster - Carlisle (1239) is booked for*? If its a pacer, do they have toilets?

*After the December TT change

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swift-Deere

I'm planning an All Line Rover next easter and I'm curious about what stock the 0858 from Lancaster - Carlisle (1239) is booked for*? If its a pacer, do they have toilets?

*After the December TT change

Thanks in advance

Go by Pendo its a lot quicker

gordonthemoron

Established Member
the scenery is good until about Ravenglass (if you discount the areas around Barrow and Millom), pretty crap from there onwards

brompton rail

The scenery on the Cumbrian Coast line is excellent for much of the journey, though between Maryport and Carlisle you loose the sea (and on a good day views of the Isle of Man).

My experience of riding that train - about a year or so ago now - was it was one of those delightful yellow Merseyrail liveried "Nodding Donkeys", yes those that have 90 degree seats with backs only as far up as your kidneys. Mind you more recent trip on Carlisle - Workington section were 153 or 156. Good luck - choose a clear day and it will be enjoyable - take a flask 'cause no buffet!!

mrcheek

Established Member
I took that route back in June, at a different time, and it was a 156.
And as scenery goes, its the best journey in England, marginally beating out the Dawlish coast.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Lancaster seems to be dominated by 153/156. Pacer's not uncommon, would be unlucky to get one. Toilets yes on Pacers.

sarniasiren

We went to Maryport in September, cant remember for sure if it was 153 or 156. It wasnt a 142 though.
Enjoy your ALR, please do a posting of your trips.
I am thinking of giving it a go next year. Very expensive though compared to a North West Rover at £70, which could of course be combined with adjoining areas
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just found my posting on the rover, it was a 156 both ways on that journey

I used to live at Seascale and used the line regularly, but that was back in the 1960's. From my recent observations, it was all 153 & 156 - no Pacers to be seen (thank God!) I always liked St. Bees - Parton and Harrington - Workington. I've never gone much on scenery, as I'm an out & out townie! Sorry!

mbonwick

Established Member
Most likely a 153 or 156. Pacers only really get up the Cumbrian Coast when Sprinters aren't available.

They're the staple of the Morecambe - Leeds services though.

Toots

Yeah, I gathered that, but I want to go via that route because a friend told me the scenery was good.

This is a great line with a bit of everything.It hugs the coast for long parts of the journey so has great views of the sea.It also has some lovely countryside looking in land.From a railway point of view,it still has many signalboxes,stations and a few sidings.Obviously its all down to personal opinion,but I reckon this is one of the finest railway journeys in the country.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I am thinking of giving it a go next year. Very expensive though compared to a North West Rover at £70, which could of course be combined with adjoining areas.

The only downside with a lot of the local Rovers if this that travel usually has to start Off-Peak. The ALR at least has no time restrictions, so you can get some good early starts. Though Regional Rovers are good value if you're staying in a certain area.

Mind you, an ALR with PRIV is hellish good value! I did a week of travelling for under £100 last year on one. It's still good value even after ATOC put it up after Lord Adonis made his round Britain trip. ;)

driver9000

Established Member
Pacers no longer have any booked work on the Cumbrian coast, its all 153s and 156s.

Tugzrule

Pacers no longer have any booked work on the Cumbrian coast, its all 153s and 156s.

Kind of true, but the Northern Spirit (1624? from Newcastle) can be a 142 to Whitehaven. Do get some on other services but as you say they are not booked AFAIK.

General Zod

Over the last few years during the summer hols I have been doing some house sitting in Ulverston. My usual route is to take either TPE or Northern from Lancaster. The route will take you through pretty little villages like Arnside and Silverdale which are Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty along with Grange-over-Sands; a quaint seaside resort. The train goes over and along the sands and you can see into Morecambe Bay. The views are absolutely stunning; on par, if not better, than Dawlish. Perhaps your itinerary will not allow it but it is definitely worth taking time out to do some sightseeing.

Z

MCR247

Established Member
Thanks I'll bear that in mind. Where does the journey start/journey?

Established Member
The Newcastle to Whitehaven service is usually worked by two 156s, although I'm unsure if they split at Carlisle.

Tugzrule

The Newcastle to Whitehaven service is usually worked by two 156s, although I'm unsure if they split at Carlisle.

I have always seen at as single 156 which it was last night. Does seem bad if it is a 142 as at one point it was a flagship service linking two major routes. EDIT saying that it went tonight with 142020

Last edited:

Established Member
Last few times I've seen it it was a double 156, but I guess its open to changes on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.