• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancaster - Leeds Rostered Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

Anyone know what stock is rostered to work the 1248 LAN-LDS or 1432 LAN-LDS services this Sunday (15/02/15).

Travelling home and weighing up pros and cons of a new route versus a lift to Preston and back via Copy Pit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No idea, but I've often seen (and sometimes been on) a 144 or 150 waiting at Leeds to go there at around 14:00 on a Sunday.

I find either perfectly decent for the journey personally.

alexl92

Established Member
Never knew such a service existed and I spend enough time in Leeds station!

Veteran Member
You'll want to be into Leeds by the time Bradford v Sunderland finishes :)

Seriously, if the weather's half decent I'd go via Bentham for the scenery, rather than Copy Pit for the 158

Iskra

Established Member
Usually 153/150/144. 142's can turn up though.

It's a fantastic and very underrated journey (excluding the rolling stock used).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Never knew such a service existed and I spend enough time in Leeds station!

It has a fairly poor service level to be honest, so difficult to notice in amongst all the other departures at Leeds. I did notice the other week that the Heysham Harbour service was taking up two of the big screens for departures on the concourse, ironic because it must be the most obscure station served directly from Leeds.

Last edited:

BantamMenace

60% 150
30% 142
10% 144

30% chance of any of the above having a 153 attached.

They're my experiences from using it regularly over the past 3 years (i study at Lancaster).

ASharpe

I've done this to get from Shipley to the Lake District a few times, It's a nice route to do.

I can't remember having anything other than a Pacer.

Condor7

Usually 153/150/144. 142's can turn up though.

It's a fantastic and very underrated journey (excluding the rolling stock used).

It has a fairly poor service level to be honest, so difficult to notice in amongst all the other departures at Leeds. I did notice the other week that the Heysham Harbour service was taking up two of the big screens for departures on the concourse, ironic because it must be the most obscure station served directly from Leeds.

I also agree, a lovely journey, perhaps in the shadow of the Settle & Carlisle.
I guess the Heysham Harbour service, which is just one a day, is given more space on the screens is because it is a boat train connecting to the Isle of Man service.

Dunc108

I also agree, a lovely journey, perhaps in the shadow of the Settle & Carlisle.
I guess the Heysham Harbour service, which is just one a day, is given more space on the screens is because it is a boat train connecting to the Isle of Man service.

One interesting fact is that it does connect Leeds with the surviving stub of the former Midland Railway from Lancaster Green Ayre, the Heysham Branch being former Midland territory and the current branch via Bare Lane was LNWR. There was even a Morecambe avoiding line for freight so they could run to Green Ayre or Heysham direct avoiding the reversal at Morecambe. This was of course ripped up after closure.

Adam0984

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure the 1st one is a 150 and 2nd one is a 142/4

yorksrob

Veteran Member
60% 150
30% 142
10% 144

30% chance of any of the above having a 153 attached.

They're my experiences from using it regularly over the past 3 years (i study at Lancaster).

From my limited experience, I would put it:

45% 144
35% 150
10% 153
10% 142.

That is mainly at weekends though.

I might add, that of the times a 153 has been attached to something, it has usually been locked out of use!

Last edited:
As someone who signals trains on the line:
It is predominantly Class 150 on Mon-Fri,
and Pacer units on Saturday and Sunday with a high likelihood of 3-car class 144 on the Saturday. (Always the possibility of class 153 attached in either direction as they travel to and from Neville Hill where they are maintained)
Depends what you like - the journey is nice, but if you want comfort, via Preston and the class 158 is the option.

crehld

Established Member
From experience it's either a 150 or a 144. That said I made the journey between Lancaster and Hellifield about 20 times last year and only encountered a pacer once on a Sunday. As others have suggested, you'll probably get a 150 in the week, pacer on the weekend. The journey is scenic and definitely underrated. Perfectly comfortable on a 150. Rather bouncy on a pacer given much of the route between Carnforth and Settle junction is unwelded - better than no train at all though, and the scenery is worth it my opinion.

Aictos

Established Member
Did it last year on a Class 144, scenery was well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf

Mainly booked 150s weekdays and 14x on weekends. First journey weekdays - 0541 skipton - Lancaster and 0710 lancaster - Leeds is booked a 14x. Always more enjoyable ride on a 14x depending what you prefere , can't be too many lines like it left in the country - jointed track all way between settle junc and just outside carnforth and one big block section between settle jn and carnforth. Having such a large block section would certainly be an obsticle in trying to increase traffic on the line.

davetheguard

Established Member
From experience it's either a 150 or a 144. That said I made the journey between Lancaster and Hellifield about 20 times last year and only encountered a pacer once on a Sunday. As others have suggested, you'll probably get a 150 in the week, pacer on the weekend. The journey is scenic and definitely underrated. Perfectly comfortable on a 150. Rather bouncy on a pacer given much of the route between Carnforth and Settle junction is unwelded - better than no train at all though, and the scenery is worth it my opinion.

Rather bouncy is an understatement. I last travelled on the route in July 2011 from Lancaster to Giggleswick for a long weekend in Settle. We had a Pacer.

I'd say that the ride over all that jointed track, with dipping joints, was the worst I've ever experienced on a train in Britain.

Lovely scenery, but the ride left the missis feeling slightly queasy.....

We were careful to return south from Settle station and the Aire Valley.

BantamMenace

Mainly booked 150s weekdays and 14x on weekends. First journey weekdays - 0541 skipton - Lancaster and 0710 lancaster - Leeds is booked a 14x. Always more enjoyable ride on a 14x depending what you prefere , can't be too many lines like it left in the country - jointed track all way between settle junc and just outside carnforth and one big block section between settle jn and carnforth. Having such a large block section would certainly be an obsticle in trying to increase traffic on the line.

Not really an obstacle to increasing frequency. Its a double track section that takes around half an hour to cover so in theory it could support 2tph in each direction and theres no freight apart from the odd WCR coaching stock/steam train.
1tph in each direction wouldn't be an issue at all with the current infrastructure, not that the loadings come anywhere near justifying it.

For what its worth while we're on the subject i've also fancied Leeds -Lancaster (Morecambe) to be a good candidate for a OHLE - Battery - OHLE service if a 75/90mph under wires and 50/60mph on battery unit ever comes to the fore.
It can sit in the little used bays at Lancaster charging between services, same at Leeds or Skipton

yorksrob

Veteran Member
For what its worth while we're on the subject i've also fancied Leeds -Lancaster (Morecambe) to be a good candidate for a OHLE - Battery - OHLE service if a 75/90mph under wires and 50/60mph on battery unit ever comes to the fore.
It can sit in the little used bays at Lancaster charging between services, same at Leeds or Skipton

I agree, it would be ideal for it. It wouldn't just have to charge up in the bays. Presumably, the batteries could take on charge en route between Leeds - Skipton and Lancaster - Carnforth.

Train jaune

Currently on the 7.07 from Lancaster to Leeds. Shake, rattle and roll. A tad draughty too as the doors don't fit

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was certainly grateful for the route yesterday as all lines South of Lancaster were closed for engineering works.

My friend who had to travel back that way said the replacement bus to Preston was booked to take an hour :o

It was a shame that Virgin weren't diverting via Hellifield as he could have changed there !

I was certainly grateful for the route yesterday as all lines South of Lancaster were closed for engineering works.

My friend who had to travel back that way said the replacement bus to Preston was booked to take an hour :o

It was a shame that Virgin weren't diverting via Hellifield as he could have changed there !

Yes it is under used and a useful alternative at times.

Oh Virgin do divert via Hellifield quite often, however the usable length of platform at Hellifield (approx 4 23m coach lengths) precludes them stopping at Hellifield these days (not like in BR days when diverted 13 coach loco hauled trains provided connections with the local trains).

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Oh Virgin do divert via Hellifield quite often, however the usable length of platform at Hellifield (approx 4 23m coach lengths) precludes them stopping at Hellifield these days (not like in BR days when diverted 13 coach loco hauled trains provided connections with the local trains).

That's a shame. More use ought to be made of access via the Guards door I think.

crehld

Established Member

The whole platform is technically usable (and indeed does get used quite regularly by private charters and the like) but three quarters of it no longer belongs to Network Rail.

The Bentham line is under utilised, but with onl y four trains each way on a Sunday what can you expect? Every weekend I've used it's been standing roI'm only so there is a case for a more regular service.

LWB

I tried to join the local support group for the line some years ago. Not the most clued up or dynamic organisation I'd have to say. Took a strange stance that as I didn't live on the line I couldn't really have a genuine interest in it! Lost my subscription cheque and returned it to me a year later. I never did join, which is their loss as I'm a wealthy individual who donates freely to such things.:|

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I tried to join the local support group for the line some years ago. Not the most clued up or dynamic organisation I'd have to say. Took a strange stance that as I didn't live on the line I couldn't really have a genuine interest in it! Lost my subscription cheque and returned it to me a year later. I never did join, which is their loss as I'm a wealthy individual who donates freely to such things.:|

That's a shame. To be fair to them, someone from the group recently posted a very good rebuttal in Rail Magazine to a correspondent who had suggested the line should close.

crehld

Established Member

The best way to support the line is to buy a ticket and use it!
That's a shame. To be fair to them, someone from the group recently posted a very good rebuttal in Rail Magazine to a correspondent who had suggested the line should close.

Passenger numbers are rising, both on through journeys and at the stations along the line, so anyone suggesting it should close clearly doesn't have a clue!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Passenger numbers are rising, both on through journeys and at the stations along the line, so anyone suggesting it should close clearly doesn't have a clue!

As a fairly regular user of this line, I couldn't agree more.

BantamMenace

Would hope its a candidate for even a couple more services per day in the new franchisee's winning bid.

Get it up to a proper 1tp2h Leeds to Morecambe, first train 07:XX departure, last train 21:XX departure making it 8 trains per day in each direction.

The last departure from Leeds has to be considerably later than at current to make a meal in or commute to Leeds possible from the likes of Bentham. 16:39 at current is way too early for the last departure from Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.