• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip At Corby (13/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST43277

I thought there would have been more disruption due to the amount of rain we have had. Hope the staff and passengers and network rail staff stay safe as they have had to evacuate a train that has partly derailed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David57

Just saved me from posting this!

Link is available at Northantstelegraph for those interested.

Passengers evacuated (400 est) cross train, and seem to be going back to Leicester.

No injuries reported.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Same here - I was about to create a thread til I saw this. I was just having a browse on the EMT Twitter page which is where I came across the landslide . The 14:34 from London to Nottingham (HST) was the one involved if people want to know.

How long was the delay just out of curiosity?

Aictos

Established Member
Was it on the Corby branch or on the mainline?

HST43277

The train seems to have come into contact with more flood water. The train which all the passengers had been evacuated into. Got to feel for all involved this evening.

Established Member
Same here - I was about to create a thread til I saw this. I was just having a browse on the EMT Twitter page which is where I came across the landslide . The 14:34 from London to Nottingham (HST) was the one involved if people want to know.

How long was the delay just out of curiosity?
The passengers have transferred across to 1C52 (1359 Sheffield to London) so almost 7 hours now for some passengers.

The train seems to have come into contact with more flood water. The train which all the passengers had been evacuated into. Got to feel for all involved this evening.
On OTT Map it has tried to go north back to Leicester but has since returned to where they have come from (just north of Corby). Hopefully the passengers and staff can get somewhere tonight.

HST43277

The passengers have transferred across to 1C52 (1359 Sheffield to London) so almost 7 hours now for some passengers.

On OTT Map it has tried to go north back to Leicester but has since returned to where they have come from (just north of Corby). Hopefully the passengers and staff can get somewhere tonight.
Think they are hoping network rail can dig enough for the train to get to Corby Station.

SilentGrade

Encountered more substantial flooding en-route north and is now back at the site pending either an evac or a route south being cleared

londonmidland

Established Member
Up to 600 people on one train who have been delayed for around 5 or so hours now.

Major incident declared.

Glenn1969

Established Member
1D43 has not been updated on RTT since 3.45 when it was just past Kettering. How was 1D46 able to pass the stricken HST?

LowLevel

Established Member
1D43 is stranded having derailed. The passengers were transferred to 1C52 which now has several hundred passengers on board and can't move forward or back with the access point also flooded. A major incident has been declared with fire service deployed with police deployed to try and rescue the passengers.

westcoaster

Established Member
1D43 has not been updated on RTT since 3.45 when it was just past Kettering. How was 1D46 able to pass the stricken HST?
D43 is the stricken hst, C52 was power car to power car cross transfer. C52 was to head back north, but further flooding has stopped it.
Not 100% but its just south of corby tunnel in a cutting.

Wookiee

One of my colleagues is on the 'rescue' train. Apparently the fire brigade are on their way to help evacuate them.

Taunton

Established Member
I think those of us sat comfortably in our armchairs at home with a pleasant Friday night drink to hand have to offer all praise to those staff (and the firemen etc) out working in the rain and floodwater to assist the passengers. Well done you all.

sharpley

The MML was blocked for about an hour this afternoon due to a person possibly trying to jump from Welford Road bridge just south of Leicester station. A number of southbound trains arrived at Leicester and diverted via Melton Mowbray and Corby

Established Member
Think they are hoping network rail can dig enough for the train to get to Corby Station.

Encountered more substantial flooding en-route north and is now back at the site pending either an evac or a route south being cleared
Ah ok. That really not good then. Hopefully it's not to long until its evacuated or moved as a lot of people are not happy on Twitter. Looks like an ambulance has been called as well.

Also made it into the press with the BBC and Evening standard useing a image of the evacuation between the two trains.

HST43277

Train being evacuated and people walking along the track and up an embankment where buses are going to take them to Kettering where onward transport will be arranged.

Spartacus

Established Member
That is really exceedingley unfortunate, to be on a diverted train and have your route blocked again, AND the route to get you back to where you started your diversion! Appears passengers had to be transferred via power car luggage doors too.

MichaelAMW

The MML was blocked for about an hour this afternoon due to a person possibly trying to jump from Welford Road bridge just south of Leicester station. A number of southbound trains arrived at Leicester and diverted via Melton Mowbray and Corby

So without this person's actions none of the trains would have even been there to get stranded by the subsidence...??

westcoaster

Established Member
Also by the time thet get bussed to corby station, train to kettering, there are no more trains south. The shuttle is once an hour, 600 people i see a riot ensuing.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Train being evacuated and people walking along the track and up an embankment where buses are going to take them to Kettering where onward transport will be arranged.
I thought there would have been more disruption due to the amount of rain we have had. Hope the staff and passengers and network rail staff stay safe as they have had to evacuate a train that has partly derailed.

Crumbs I didn't realise it partly derailed - I wondered why it looked like it was slightly leaning towards the right in the picture on the BBC News website!

Established Member
So without this person's actions none of the trains would have even been there to get stranded by the subsidence...??
These two trains were on diversion but there is a service scheduled a bit later on at around half 5 towards Kettering from Derby.

sharpley

It would seem so. I was at Leicester station when that incident happened. A freight train passed through platform 3 at about 1500 then ground to a halt, leaving the rear of the freight blocking this platform. No train movements for about 20 mins, they eventually they brought about 3 southbounds into platforms 2 and 4 one by one, and reversed then via Melton and Corby.

Leicestershire police had a negotiator at the bridge, Welford Road in Leicester was also closed (a major road in the city). Line south reopened about 1600

Roast Veg

Established Member
From a very close friend who boarded 1C52:

Ambulance was called owing to a panicked passenger with a pre-existing heart condition.

No food or water on 1C52 for some hours, all suitcases had to be left behind on evacuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.