• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip between Banbury and Leamington Spa (31.01.2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If it's going to be shut until at least 17 February, do we think the Watford blockade will be cancelled? If not I hope London Midland hire in more buses...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
SLW won't allow much of a service to run, owing to the length of the section. Who would get paths I wonder, Chiltern? XC? freight? or would it just be to allow spoil trains access to the site?

No more than 2 an hour possible 5 per 2 hours. Would expect one path each.

1063MONITOR

Was curious why at least some freights couldn't go via the Cotswold Line but seems the stretch between Wolvercot Junction (Oxford) and the Long Marston branch near Honeybourne is only loading gauge W6 and so not container train-friendly.

As for embankments .. rain-loving trees and bushes can be handy for helping stop landslides! Several years back they got rid of all trees and bushes along where that landslide's now happened. You'll note there's nicely anchored trees galore on the steep embankment the other side of the tracks.

LeylandLen

[.

So can ordinary passenger trains be diverted this way? I am one of those who likes to STAY on a train if possible , after all its what we pay for? If I liked buses/coaches I would use National Express/ Magic bus etc !!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Last edited:

Established Member
[.

So can ordinary passenger trains be diverted this way? I am one of those who likes to STAY on a train if possible , after all its what we pay for? If I liked buses/coaches I would use National Express/ Magic bus etc !!!

I don't think there is the capacity and I don't think the crew would sign it.

Could be wrong though

edwin_m

Veteran Member
SLW won't allow much of a service to run, owing to the length of the section. Who would get paths I wonder, Chiltern? XC? freight? or would it just be to allow spoil trains access to the site?

If this goes on for several months but one track is useable, then perhaps temporary crossovers and signalling as intended for Farnworth?

[.

Trouble is, taking a quick look at some typical timings, it would take at least an hour longer for an XC train to go Oxford-Worcester-Birmingham, which probably means using the bus replacement would be quicker - even if it was feasible within current capacity constraints and route knowledge.

For Chiltern, the delay would be even greater given the need to reverse at Banbury and Oxford.

So the best option that doesn't involve a bus is to take the WCML.

unlevel42

It is not safe to run trains near an active landslip as serious as this.
Hadfield took six months to reopen.
It might be wise to plan for this level of disruption.

Key events at Hatfield:
time before staff allowed on site
evaluation of problems
solution to problems
planning
mobilizing
removal of material
drainage
backwork
rebuilding formation.

Cost per day £1 000 000 to TOCs and repair.

The much smaller Unstone landsliup caused disruption on the MML which lasted 8 weeks+ .The partial closure was less disruptive because of the nearby 'old road'.

Does Didcot have some space available at the moment?

Jezzybabes

Confirmed WCML blockades cancelled 14/15th Feb, and 21/22nd Feb. Looking like a long slog to fix.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
Confirmed WCML blockades cancelled 14/15th Feb, and 21/22nd Feb. Looking like a long slog to fix.

Great... now all we need is for someone to update NRE to show WCML services on that weekend and the assorted ticket websites so that tickets on the WMCL can actually be booked....<(

I'm planning a trip London to the Midlands on 21/22 feb and am getting increasing frustrated that I can't book an LM ticket - had been planning to use Chiltern but LM are cheaper....

Last edited:

LeylandLen

Knowing all the work and info for the public that's gone into that, will take time for it all to be undone . Virgin have had the info about WCML blockade on
website after Xmas. Several TOCS involved plus bus/coach companies no doubt wanting compensation as contracts will be cancelled . Of course, its the customer, sorry passenger !, who will have to pay for it all in the long run !!

Last edited:

Zoidberg

Established Member
Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Several TOCS involved plus bus/coach companies no doubt wanting compensation as contracts will be cancelled . Of course, its the customer, sorry passenger !, who will have to pay for it all in the long run !!

Why? it will be NR that have to cough for it.

Tomnick

Established Member
Knowing all the work and info for the public that's gone into that, will take time for it all to be undone . Virgin have had the info about WCML blockade on
website after Xmas. Several TOCS involved plus bus/coach companies no doubt wanting compensation as contracts will be cancelled . Of course, its the customer, sorry passenger !, who will have to pay for it all in the long run !!
It's better to go ahead with the block as planned then, is it? Sounds like such a good plan for the passenger...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
[.

I'm surprised Didcot-Swindon-Cheltenham-Birmingham does not figure in the XC and freight diversions.
Much more capacity now the Kemble route has been redoubled.
Fast route all the way, capacity available throughout.
Not sure about freight clearance.
Not much use for Oxford/Banbury/Leamington though.

RailAleFan

I'm surprised Didcot-Swindon-Cheltenham-Birmingham does not figure in the XC and freight diversions.

I was travelling north from Reading on the Saturday when this incident occurred and the disruption page was suggesting Bristol as an alternative route (although I chose to go via the Bree Louise London). That option is no longer stated specifically, just ticket acceptance on FGW by any reasonable route.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

:roll: no it wont be - Network Rail were already paying for the alterations/coaches etc and now they will have to pay for cancelling the contracts at short notice

I suppose ultimately we will all pay as tax payers.
Yes, I've just seen a poster in the subway at Temple Meads that proclaims that 97% of all passenger fare revenue goes back into the railway.

Not in the way that poster makes you believe ;)

D1009

Established Member
Yes, I was trying to think, if this was going to go on for a long time, whether there would be a way of getting 1 tph from the South Coast to the Midlands/North over a diversionary route round the problem, but in percentage terms of the total number of passengers, how many actually make through journeys that would benefit form such a measure. Taking into account all the problems and expense involved in route knowledge/ provision of conductors etc.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Presumably this will delay the completion of the Watford renewals? The ORR will be pleased :p

jimm

Established Member
Was curious why at least some freights couldn't go via the Cotswold Line but seems the stretch between Wolvercot Junction (Oxford) and the Long Marston branch near Honeybourne is only loading gauge W6 and so not container train-friendly.

Never mind that the Cotswold Line is W6, the Bristol-Worcester-Birmingham route and lines in south-west Birmingham aren't W10 cleared either. There simply isn't the capacity to take many extra trains on the Cotswold Line, as the remaining single-line sections are still a capacity constraint. And I would question the assertion that there is "capacity available throughout" - there are a lot of trains running on the lines in the south-west of Birmingham these days, especially Barnt Green to Kings Norton.

As I said back up the thread, Voyagers aren't allowed up the Cotswold Line, and I think the same applies to Swindon-Standish junction, and XC drivers certainly don't know the Cotswold Line - some may know the route via Kemble.

The Planner

Veteran Member
As I said back up the thread, Voyagers aren't allowed up the Cotswold Line, and I think the same applies to Swindon-Standish junction, and XC drivers certainly don't know the Cotswold Line - some may know the route via Kemble.

They are cleared on both lines so if they can get route conducted they would be fine.

E16 Cyclist

Rumour this morning is that cracks have been found in Harbury Tunnel and that we're looking at anything between April and July before services can resume. Would therefore require a lot of us to route refresh before we can run over it again

If, as people have been suggesting, the work does take several months, and the disruption becomes the 'norm' - are ticket restrictions likely to return to normal while the work is ongoing? For example, would Cross Country passengers still be allowed to travel early and use other operators, or are these sort of measures only usually in place for the first few weeks of a closure like this?

dvboy

Established Member
Presumably they would stop selling Advances through the affected area, if they have not already, but any already sold would be valid.

The HUGE posters for the Watford blockades are still up at Birmingham New Street this morning.

LeylandLen

Virgins website still saying WCML work to go ahead in February. It doesn't take much to say its been cancelled.
Hoping for a detailed press release from Network Rail today. Uncertainty and rumours no good to anyone. l would also like to know from Network Rail why trains cannot be diverted via Cotswold line.(no disrespect to any previous posters here )

Also can someone explain the differences between W6 , W10 loading gauges? I can understand that container traffic obviously needs special routing partly due to the length of some of the trains and the necessary clearance ,and lack of suitable paths across Birmingham ?

Status
Not open for further replies.