• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip near Dewsbury (08/11/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RHolmes

Yet another reason the service should be given back to Northern, who have crew bases at both Huddersfield and Leeds.

I must say I agree on this one

Northern are diverting via Bradford not Normanton. The only TPE service that would call at Mirfield is the stopper which is cancelled anyway.
It would be nice if they could add stops to one of the fasts, but this is TPE so we'll get the absolute bare minimum at best.

It’s not the bare minimum, it just simply isn’t possible in the timeframe without re-writing emergency timetables and diagrams to match

The diversion is adding 20-40 minutes journey time to the express services in the westbound direction, causing crew displacement, delaying passenger connections and most services are leaving heavily loaded from Leeds. It wouldn’t be wise to further increase this and the issues it presents

The RRB is the most reliable way to transport passengers to/from Mirfield and Deighton with consistent timed calling points

reduke

Could anyone travelling eastbound from Manchester Victoria today let me know what the TPE loadings are like? Currently running alternative routes through my head for this evening...

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

Geeves

Established Member
At the Manchester end the Liverpool Newcastle Liverpool has become a shuttle between Vic and Liverpool

snowball

Established Member
A third press release:

Work to carry out repairs to the collapsed wall close to Dewsbury station is progressing well, with Network Rail expecting a normal train service to be reintroduced from Monday (13 November).

Engineers are working around the clock to reinstall the earthworks that support the railway line and add extra layers of stonework which will strengthen the structure.

The work is progressing well and a normal train service is expected to return to the line on Monday morning (13 November).

While the work is carried out, TransPennine Express and Northern trains departing Leeds towards Huddersfield will continue to divert via other lines and will not call at Morley, Batley, Dewsbury, Mirfield, or Brighouse. Trains are still able to run on the line from Huddersfield towards Leeds but are subject to some delays as services slow down while passing the worksite.

Network Rail is continuing to encourage passengers to check their journey before travelling through the area via National Rail Enquiries or their train operator.

People living close to the worksite are likely to experience noise and disruption while work is carried out and are encouraged to call Network Rail’s 24/7 helpline on 0345 711 4141 for more information.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Given the location of the problem, and the trackwork, the best that could be done using the crossover would be a simple Leeds to Batley shuttle.
Interestingly, as discussed in another thread about the landslip near Darlington, TPE is running a Newcastle - Chester-Le-Street - Durham shuttle, meaning that TPE isn't against the idea of running a shuttle service.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Interestingly, as discussed in another thread about the landslip near Darlington, TPE is running a Newcastle - Chester-Le-Street - Durham shuttle, meaning that TPE isn't against the idea of running a shuttle service.
Now that the exact location of this slip has been pointed out, my post above is incorrect. A Dewsbury to Leeds shuttle would be possible as the problem is West of Dewsbury. Such an operation (primarily during the upcoming big blockade at Ravensthorpe for the building of the flyover) is one of the reasons the new crossover at Batley was installed in the first place.

Could anyone travelling eastbound from Manchester Victoria today let me know what the TPE loadings are like? Currently running alternative routes through my head for this evening...
The xx15 Saltburns extremely busy, with 6 cars leaving full and standing, the xx30 Hulls have been pretty reasonable.

At the Manchester end the Liverpool Newcastle Liverpool has become a shuttle between Vic and Liverpool
Yup, and combined with the 20 - 40 min delays coming from the east and the peak time extras to Wigan, it caused carnage as it sat in platform 3 for 20 mins.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Now that the exact location of this slip has been pointed out, my post above is incorrect. A Dewsbury to Leeds shuttle would be possible as the problem is West of Dewsbury. Such an operation (primarily during the upcoming big blockade at Ravensthorpe for the building of the flyover) is one of the reasons the new crossover at Batley was installed in the first place.
But interestingly, passengers were advised to go via Bradford and travel from Huddersfield to stations towards Dewsbury.

SuperNova

And what you conveniently forget is the impact in trains running between Hudds and Leeds.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And what you conveniently forget is the impact in trains running between Hudds and Leeds.
I don't "conveniently forget" it. Landslips happen from time to time, and the closure is unavoidable... but surely it's better to run a partial service over the bit that can stay open, than close the whole thing. Huddersfield to Leeds itself (and the longer distance services) can be covered by diversionary routes, and it's possible to run a Huddersfield to Mirfield shuttle and has been so for years- so those stations could also have a partial service. The ability to run a Dewsbury to Leeds shuttle is a more recent thing, but it is now possible. The only station that can't be served is Ravensthorpe, which has by far the lowest usage on the route anyway.

Some disruption is inevitable, but as a user of an intermediate station on the route it feels like we get thrown under the (rail replacement) bus whenever things go wrong.

New Post Sunday 12th November:
According to RealTime Trains, services are operating through Dewsbury again. Though when I passed the station earlier there were several coaches in the car park so perhaps everything's still bustituted and RTT is wrong?

Assuming trains are running, top marks to the orange army for getting the repairs done ahead of schedule!

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
I haven't been keeping track of this over the weekend, but services this morning appear to be back to normal. Not sure if this happened before today or if service was just reinstated this morning

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I haven't been keeping track of this over the weekend, but services this morning appear to be back to normal. Not sure if this happened before today or if service was just reinstated this morning
Today I believe, as TPE and Northern kept saying that service will resume today.

Miken

On the 2015 from Victoria to Leeds this evening (Sun) and RTT shows us calling at Huddersfield then routing via Wakefield Kirkgate and Woodlesford before arriving at Leeds so I assume work still going on at Dewsbury?

skyhigh

Established Member
On the 2015 from Victoria to Leeds this evening (Sun) and RTT shows us calling at Huddersfield then routing via Wakefield Kirkgate and Woodlesford before arriving at Leeds so I assume work still going on at Dewsbury?
I'm pretty sure it's planned Transpennine Route Upgrade work today?

Crossover

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's planned Transpennine Route Upgrade work today?
Yes, no trains through Dewsbury today. Presumably it will be TRU as service was normal yesterday. That said, some trains do go via Wakefield during the week anyway for route retention

Status
Not open for further replies.