• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Large stations - slow speeds. Where fastest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
All lines are 25mph to Coke Ovens then 55mph then the new crossover there is 40mph, 35mph through Oulton Broad North station. 60mph from then on.
Does that affect journey times much or does the better acceleration of the 755s negate the speed changes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Does that affect journey times much or does the better acceleration of the 755s negate the speed changes?

It’s actually better & 1 minute was removed from most schedules. No need for the painful check down on the up into Oulton Broad if heading to Norwich. Down road it wasn’t really possible to get above 50mph due to Lowestoft boxes fixed distant.

lammergeier

Really, that doesn't appear to be reflected in the appendix (although I haven't looked at the Instructions section closely). I could understand the limit being accelerate on sight when it's slowing for a hazard or braking distance, but I can't imagine that the complex pointwork at New Street can be traversed much faster than the existing PSR, so it would need the rear of the train clear before it could accelerate.
I believe it was going to be 10 arriving and 15 departing, but with one of the new "A" boards at the end of the platform meaning the train could accelerate to speed as the front of the train passed the sign, not the rear. Useful for Pendos and double Voyagers. It hasn't gone ahead (yet), hence why the SA hasn't been updated, but that doesn't mean it won't at some point.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I remembered departing from Doncaster southbound on my first ever ride on an IEP felt extremely rapid.

Don't remember what platform, but it felt like it took off like a tube train.

trundlewagon

I believe it was going to be 10 arriving and 15 departing, but with one of the new "A" boards at the end of the platform meaning the train could accelerate to speed as the front of the train passed the sign, not the rear. Useful for Pendos and double Voyagers. It hasn't gone ahead (yet), hence why the SA hasn't been updated, but that doesn't mean it won't at some point.
I'm sure it was all set to happen a couple of years ago - I remember someone (a New St driver) mentioning it just before it was supposed to happen and then recall seeing something in the WONs about it being cancelled.

Sly Old Fox

Seen many a train hit the platform at Paddington at 30mph at least. ATP and TPWS make sure that nothing untoward occurs.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
You wouldn’t have been through Carstairs station itself at that speed though. The platform loops are much slower, 20 or 40 mph.
I'm sure that the line speed through Carstairs has always been around 90mph in both directions before the engineering work was completed.

waverley47

I'm sure that the line speed through Carstairs has always been around 90mph in both directions before the engineering work was completed.

Technically yes. In practice, there was a tsr that had been there for several years limiting the up fast to 50 and the down fast to 60 from memory

I always find the 10mph at Birmingham New Street incredibly difficult to stick to in a 323 on Train Sim World, particularly when approaching the New Street platforms from Five Ways through the tunnel. Makes me realise the skill the drivers must have to be able to do it in real life!

(Or, the sim is wonky...)

TreacleMiller

I remembered departing from Doncaster southbound on my first ever ride on an IEP felt extremely rapid.

Don't remember what platform, but it felt like it took off like a tube train.
P4 and P3 southbound are 70mph, onto "Slow" lines which really aren't that slow! It's faster than departing onto fast lines due to points speeds.

I don't think they'll be many places faster than that.

merry

I’m sure we’re all been told: “there’s no such thing as an approach controlled signal”.
Yes, and it is the correct thing to assume. A signal means exactly the aspect displayed, and nothing more until it changes. Because it very well might not step up, and that quote is made to remind drivers.
Tell the (surviving) driver at the Colwich collision (or countless others)...

Efini92

Established Member
Yes, and it is the correct thing to assume. A signal means exactly the aspect displayed, and nothing more until it changes. Because it very well might not step up, and that quote is made to remind drivers.
You should never assume anything.

Established Member

Well thanks for the reminder. It’s not like I’ve spent years driving trains managing to cope with simultaneously knowing what a red signal means, and also knowing what an approach control signal is.

Anyone who has to resort to lying to deliver training really shouldn’t be training at all. It says something worrying about the state of learning and development in this industry - something that elsewhere it taken very seriously.

D6975

Established Member
Penzance is 15 out of the platforms, but once you've cleared the pointwork it's straight up to 70. Notable as there's not an awful lot of 60+ west of Plymouth and what there is is all in very short sections.

45Fox

Leicester is 40 mph for passenger trains through platform 2, both directions, and platform 3 in the up direction. Interestingly down services approaching platform 3 from the south are 15 mph max, signalling overlaps at the north end I understand.

plugwash

Established Member
In fact, you can increase capacity if you can speed up the conflicting moves.
I suspect the problem is you often end up in a "robbing peter to pay paul" situation. To increase the speeds means longer stopping distances, larger radius pointwork and so-on. So you increase the speed of movement through the conflict zone but also increase it's length.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I suspect the problem is you often end up in a "robbing peter to pay paul" situation. To increase the speeds means longer stopping distances, larger radius pointwork and so-on. So you increase the speed of movement through the conflict zone but also increase it's length.
Yes, and also often you end up only being able to speed up some moves by slowing others. A difficult balancing act.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That may be true (the recent Kings Cross remodelling is an example) but not always. The York and Newcastle ones I mentioned earlier pretty much fitted within the original lengths (at Newcastle they didn't have much option!) but replaced a large number of slow turnouts with fewer and faster ones. This probably got rid of some parallel routes, but that was offset by the trains taking less time to pass over the routes that remained. As I suggested earlier, the net effect may be positive or negative for capacity, but it should be a benefit for journey time.

Dren Ahmeti

Fastest route through Reading is 95mph on the Up/Down Main, I think.

I would not call Taunton large in the context of what this thread is really asking for. It's very similar size and significance to Stevenage, which has 125mph through the platforms.
Yep, Reading P9 is 80/HST95, and P10 is 85/HST95, rising to 125 on both sides.

bahnause

I always find the 10mph at Birmingham New Street incredibly difficult to stick to in a 323 on Train Sim World, particularly when approaching the New Street platforms from Five Ways through the tunnel. Makes me realise the skill the drivers must have to be able to do it in real life!
I set the speed to what I want it to be and leave it to the train to do the heavy lifting :D. Thy want us to drive "on the dot" in slow and busy locations. It is the slow speeds you lose the most time at.

The very flat braking curves with ETCS L1 LS is causing and will cause a lot of trouble over here...

Railcar

When leaving the terminal platforms at London Bridge, 377 drivers on the metro services seem to ease out at slow speed until the whole of the train is clear of the throat and then they accelerate to line speed through Bermondsey, especially if they are going to pick up the Down Sussex Fast outside New Cross Gate (examples- the Epsom semi-fasts and the 'Cats and Tats'.)

Status
Not open for further replies.