• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Largest number of stored locos in one location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
Looking at pictures of Rouen Yard in France, I started wondering about what is the largest number of stored locomotives in a single location. For the UK, this would probably be Toton, but I'm wondering about the rest of the world.

Also, here's one of the best shots of Rouen, courtesy of Paul & Kelly on Flickr.

10054338456_2015a27171_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulkelly/10054338456

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

There's a large amount at Booth's of Rotherham, if memory serves. You didn't say active locos...

Harbornite

Established Member
There's a large amount at Booth's of Rotherham, if memory serves. You didn't say active locos...

Indeed, that one would count. I'm looking for sites with stored or demic locos, preferably not active.

Last edited:

trainlogger

Indeed, that one would count. I'm looking dor site with stored or demic locos, preferably not active.

Booths only has two 86s.

A few main storage sites in the UK:
Toton
Crewe Electric
Long Marston

France has a massive yard, Sotteville
(Edit: apologies, that's what you mentioned in your first post!)

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Are there? I was under the impression that Booth's tended to work through their rolling stock for scrap fairly quickly. The only two locos listed as being there at the end of last year were the two former Network Rail load bank locos, 86901 and 86902. They have, however, also been busy cutting up Manchester Metrolink T68 trams and LU stock in recent times.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Looking at pictures of Rouen Yard in France, I started wondering about what is the largest number of stored locomotives in a single location. For the UK, this would probably be Toton, but I'm wondering about the rest of the world.

Does this mean that you are looking for other locations in a world-wide scenario....instead of solely in Britain?

Colombo in Sri Lanka had quite a few stores locomotives there.

Last edited:

bnsf734

BNSF railway in the USA had 1472 locomotives laid up (stored) on July 1 2016.

These are stored in large yards (Argentine Kansas, Northtown Minneapolis and others) and are available for traffic when demand picks up. I am not sure of the numbers at each location but there are a lot.

Union Pacific also have a large number of locos laid up at present.

Harbornite

Established Member
Does this mean that you are looking for other locations in a world-wide scenario....instead of solely in Britain?

Colombo in Sri Lanka had quite a few stores locomotives there.

Precisely. Thanks for that recommendation.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
National Railway Museum?

Yes fair enough, but I'm looking for the largest international sites.

These are stored in large yards (Argentine Kansas, Northtown Minneapolis and others) and are available for traffic when demand picks up. I am not sure of the numbers at each location but there are a lot.

Deutsche Bahn stores large numbers of locos at Hamm (around 50 diesels and 120 electric currently), and Mukran (100ish electrics).

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks. Regarding BNSF and Union Pacific, do they store any locos at North Platte Yard in Nebraska, or are all locos there fully operational? I assume the latter.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I remmber Dai Woodham's Yard at Barry during the 70s, full of obsolete steam locos, many of which were later rescued and used on Heritage Lines.

D15

Regarding North Platte, Nebraska, I was there in 2009 and again in 2012 and all locomotives seemed operational.

Harbornite

Established Member
Regarding North Platte, Nebraska, I was there in 2009 and again in 2012 and all locomotives seemed operational.

It seems like a fantastic site, as it is the world's largest marshalling yard. The maintenance depot operates like an F1 pit stop, as locos are sent through for maintenance one after the other and are kept on moving, IIRC.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What? A dozen posts in and no mention of the thousands of steam locos in Box Hill Tunnel?

Man, this Forum ain't what it used to be...

(removes tongue from cheek)

CosherB

Established Member

Also, here's one of the best shots of Rouen, courtesy of Paul & Kelly on Flickr.

Crikey, makes Toton look like an example of operational effectiveness!

Harbornite

Established Member
Union Pacific has a pretty good number stored out in arse of end of nowhere locations

Theres about 300 locos in the Arizona desert!

Union-Pacific-Engines-Google-Earth1.jpg

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...e-sitting-in-the-arizona-desert-doing-nothing

Great shot, what an unusual way of storing locos as I'm used to seeing them in yards. Having said that, it makes sense storing them in the nice, desert climate of Ari and other western states because the heat reduces the risk of corrosion, hence why the big aircraft graveyards are also found in the desert.
Crikey, makes Toton look like an example of operational effectiveness!

I think it's time to show an image of Toton, as a comparison to these foreign storage sites.

5292055_orig.jpg

Check out http://www.jamiesquibbs.com/

route:oxford

Established Member

So how many freight diagrams have been withdrawn with 1472 locos stored?

Got to wonder if this releases an opportunity for a greater number of Amtrak diagrams instead.

Harbornite

Established Member
So how many freight diagrams have been withdrawn with 1472 locos stored?

Got to wonder if this releases an opportunity for a greater number of Amtrak diagrams instead.

Would these locos be suitable for Amtrak services? Although I have doubts, it should be noted that BNSF and UP freight locos do occasionally end up on Amtrak or company trains.

Gordon

Deutsche Bahn stores large numbers of locos at Hamm (around 50 diesels and 120 electric currently), and Mukran (100ish electrics).

Mukran (and no doubt others) can be seen on Google sattelite:

https://goo.gl/maps/MkpqQUwoXt22

note the amount of coaching stock as opposed to locos.

For anyone not familiar with the history of Mukran and its extensive yard. It was developed just before the end of communism as the DDR's main link to the USSR, with standard and broad gauge track and initially a very well guarded area! As its prime reason for existing was taken away it has never been as busy as planned, but it did subsequently become the 'new' passenger port for train ferry services to Sweden, allowing closure of the original Sassnitz harbour

Harbornite

Established Member
Mukran (and no doubt others) can be seen on Google sattelite:

https://goo.gl/maps/MkpqQUwoXt22

note the amount of coaching stock as opposed to locos.

For anyone not familiar with the history of Mukran and its extensive yard. It was developed just before the end of communism as the DDR's main link to the USSR, with standard and broad gauge track and initially a very well guarded area! As its prime reason for existing was taken away it has never been as busy as planned, but it did subsequently become the 'new' passenger port for train ferry services to Sweden, allowing closure of the original Sassnitz harbour

Thanks for the suggestion Daigog, and thanks Gordon for going into more detail Do you think this is the largest collection of stored stock in Deutschland?

philabos

Would these locos be suitable for Amtrak services? Although I have doubts, it should be noted that BNSF and UP freight locos do occasionally end up on Amtrak or company trains.

The freight units are geared for a 70mph maximum speed. More importantly, they do not have head end power equipment which provides hotel service for the passenger cars, lights, air conditioning etc.

That said, Amtrak is indeed in trouble with diesel motive power. Today's Capitol Limited, named after a once great train, had three units, one dead in tow, one spewing oil, and all ran out of fuel in Indiana. Had to be towed by another train to Elkhart where it was fueled at Norfolk Southern's fuel racks and arrived Chicago 5 plus hours late.

rf_ioliver

What? A dozen posts in and no mention of the thousands of steam locos in Box Hill Tunnel?

Man, this Forum ain't what it used to be...

(removes tongue from cheek)

It's a few hundreds, not thousands...anyway, aren't they going to be scrapped to make space for the 442s?

Getting back to reality for a second, how would have the yards in Barry faired in this discussion? I have vague memories from childhood (late 70s) of rows upon rows of steam engines...*

t.

Ian

*some of which now must surely been refurbished and stored in Box Tunnel

Harbornite

Established Member
Barry has been mentioned, there's nothing left there now as the majority of locos were sold off for preservation.

theblackwatch

Established Member
On seeing this thread, my immediate thought was Toton, or Swindon Works in the 1980s, but I think Rouen wins hands down!

Groningen

Established Member
For the Netherlands the closest comes the area between Amsterdam Centraal and Amsterdam Muiderpoort. Google Streetview (Piet Heinkade) has about 20 1600/1700 locomotives. Further class 6400/6500 (diesel) are present in Amersfoort. At Amsterdam Watergraafsmweer Yard you can even see 1 Fyra-set.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
My enquiry on another site has resulted in Mukran (Germany), Dorrigo (Australia) and Dijksgracht in Amsterdam being suggested.

Groningen

Established Member
Look for an area between Ridderspoor and Tollensstraat in Nijmegen. Also some stuff there. On the viaduct of Graafseweg you have an birds eye view with Google Streetview.

Harbornite

Established Member
Look for an area between Ridderspoor and Tollensstraat in Nijmegen. Also some stuff there. On the viaduct of Graafseweg you have an birds eye view with Google Streetview.

Cheers, I'll have a mooch.

Status
Not open for further replies.