• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Largest station that doesn't have a Sunday service? Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
I suppose Edge Hill could be used as an interchange station from the St Helens line to the Warrington line to save the double back from Lime Street?

rogercov

I commuted from West Dulwich to Holborn Viaduct 1980-81. Holborn Viaduct (and Blackfriars) were both closed on Sundays at this time.
Very true. It seems that there was no Saturday or Sunday service at Holborn Viaduct or Blackfriars in the early 80s.
Both stations were open throughout the 60s, but by 1975, the weekend services were terminated at Blackfriars. By 1977, Blackfriars was also closed at weekends with all the trains going into Victoria.
I'm guessing it probably stayed like that until Thameslink happened.

scrapy

Established Member
I suppose Edge Hill could be used as an interchange station from the St Helens line to the Warrington line to save the double back from Lime Street?
There's nothing to be gained from this on a Sunday as you would just have a 20/25 minute wait at Edge Hill, rather than a 10/15 minute wait at Lime St in each direction.

Llandudno

Established Member
There's nothing to be gained from this on a Sunday as you would just have a 20/25 minute wait at Edge Hill, rather than a 10/15 minute wait at Lime St in each direction.
Maybe useful if the Liverpool bound train is running late?

frodshamfella

Established Member

I remember on a very cold Sunday night in late 80s when I was travelling from Euston to Prescot, there was a lot of snow about, managed to get a train to Crewe then the local Crewe- Liverpool stopper, I got off at Edge Hill, thinking I might just catch the Prescot train there, not wanting to miss it as it left Lime Street. What a mistake, it was a long connection, nowhere to get out of the cold. I ended up catching a cab as wait was so long.

rogercov

Are there sources online for old timetables or is this your personal collection?
There are some available online. I forget where but I've seen it mentioned on these forums.
I was consulting my own collection - various ones from late 50s to early 80s.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not a Sunday as such, but Thameslink appeared to be running more or less a normal service through the core last Bank Holiday Monday. I wonder how much passenger movement there was. Bank Holiday working is slowly becoming more and more popular with companies offering a day in lieu, but many companies still close down entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.