• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last time there was a strike like Go North East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

What was the last strike before the Go North East one of comparable disruption? Just curious cause it's had bugger all national publicity and even around here it's hardly on the tip of anyone's tongue - despite being massive in size.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Arriva North West strike summer last year, that lasted about a month, also Arriva Yorkshire had a strike that lasted about a month too, both cover large areas, that were left without buses

robertclark125

Established Member
I suppose to answer that, you need to go back to the late 80s, when drivers at Central Scottish went on strike, over changes to things they were used to, as a result of the merger with Kelvin, and the introduction of new working practices. It lasted several weeks.

M803UYA

Arriva North West strike summer last year, that lasted about a month, also Arriva Yorkshire had a strike that lasted about a month too, both cover large areas, that were left without buses
The same Managing Director (MD) was in post for the Go North West strike in 2021. Strikes have happened more than once with this particular MD, not least during his time at Arriva. Clearly he is very good at doing exactly what he is told - you don't go out there to lose money through weeks of no revenue without that being approved at group level.

I guess there are easier ways to resolve issues, such as talking to people and doing something innovative called 'listening to people'. You could break some new ground and come to something even more innovative called 'a compromise'.

RT4038

Established Member
What was the last strike before the Go North East one of comparable disruption? Just curious cause it's had bugger all national publicity and even around here it's hardly on the tip of anyone's tongue - despite being massive in size.
Perhaps that just reflects the relative importance of bus services nowadays to the majority of the population, appreciating that to a small minority it is very inconvenient. Like with lockdown, people find ways of coping, and no doubt when the dust settles the quantity of service offered will be that much smaller.

I guess there are easier ways to resolve issues, such as talking to people and doing something innovative called 'listening to people'. You could break some new ground and come to something even more innovative called 'a compromise'.
I guess that works both ways, and sometimes there comes a point where it is not possible on principle.

gomango

There was a massive strike in Manchester a couple of years ago however don't remember the exact dates. I think it was Go North West:?: If I'm wrong then reply but I think it was 2021

JD2168

The biggest ones in South Yorkshire are the recent Stagecoach Yorkshire one in 2022 which left large parts of the Dearne Valley & Barnsley with no service for weeks.

The other large one was in 2004 when First South Yorkshire went on strike for the entire 6 week summer holidays, as this was Yorkshire Terrier & Powells at the time there was no service after 7pm & some areas had a last bus at 3:30pm.

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
If we can go further back, in the late 60s there was a 11 week strike at Liverpool Corporation Transport (LCT), which I believe caused quite a bit of hardship to those relying on them. Some companies even hired out taxis and coaches so staff could get to the office or shop. When the strike was over and because a lot of drivers left, quite a lot of services remained cancelled even after the PTE was formed, and some services never returned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mwanesh

Any dispute can be solved easily. Both parties have been pig headed the Unite Secretary General is too militant

Last edited:

Citibus

Good timing concerning national coverage as this subject will be discussed on today's Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2. The programme is currently on air!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So that we don't end up with two parallel discussions, please use this thread to discuss the current Go North East strike:

birchesgreen

Established Member
National Express West Midlands had a week long strike earlier this year. March, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.