• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Latest signaller aptitude tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

LWB

Anyone out there had any experience of the latest signaller selection process, especially the 'lift tone' test?
Also, is Leeds still the venue of the signalling school?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
Leeds is/will be shut this year! There are a few dotted around the country

The signalling assessment has been the same as the last 2-3 years, they are not that bad. Much better than the old test!!

What vacancy you gone for?

LWB

Cheers! Not me, my son. He put in for several within travelling distance so I'm not sure how they will handle that. He 'got through' the online sift and is now sweating the aptitude tests. The one unknown is the lift tone thing so I thought I'd ask on here.

kbreen

Hi LWB! I did the signaller assessment in 2012 and found the lift tone part the most tricky! What they do is use different tones to signify going up or going down, The higher the tone its goes up a floor and the low tones goes down a floor . They will do it in random order like start at ground "UP UP UP DOWN UP UP", so something like that and you have to say what floor it ends up on. Everyone is in the same boat so they will play it loads for practice, so if he doesn't understand they will play it until he does (In my group we must have heard the practice test for about 10 minutes). Hope all goes well for him!

LWB

Hi LWB! I did the signaller assessment in 2012 and found the lift tone part the most tricky! What they do is use different tones to signify going up or going down, The higher the tone its goes up a floor and the low tones goes down a floor . They will do it in random order like start at ground "UP UP UP DOWN UP UP", so something like that and you have to say what floor it ends up on. Everyone is in the same boat so they will play it loads for practice, so if he doesn't understand they will play it until he does (In my group we must have heard the practice test for about 10 minutes). Hope all goes well for him!

Thank you for that post kbreen, that is very reassuring news. (and thanks for the good wishes)

Goggy02

I did the assessment in Euston in late 2012 also and a couple of people in my group really struggled with the lift tone part of the test and kept asking for more practice goes but if you go in after a good night's sleep and concentrate well it should not be a problem. Has your son got a date for his assessment yet?

LWB

I did the assessment in Euston in late 2012 also and a couple of people in my group really struggled with the lift tone part of the test and kept asking for more practice goes but if you go in after a good night's sleep and concentrate well it should not be a problem. Has your son got a date for his assessment yet?

Oh dear! Oh well you can only do your best.

24th Feb Manchester

Jim train fan

I did mine last year. I would say the same as most, plenty of rest the night before cos alot of concentration needed. I used brain training apps constantly like a week before to sharpen my concentration levels and response times, it seemed to help.
Also I would say, they dont expect and very rarely get full scores so not to worry if you dont thyink your not getting it all right.
And that you only need to pass to the grade youll be working to, i.e. grade 3 position needs a grade 3 pass top marks would be a grade 10 so if its a lower grade job that leaaves some room for error. :)

Last edited:

TomBoyd

Its a preposterously easy day if you concentrate. I thought it was a bit bizarre, as it didn't really seem to sift anyone out!

Just tell your boy to relax and don't sweat it. They explain everything really well, and let you practice immediately before hand and ask questions if you need to.

LWB

Its a preposterously easy day if you concentrate. I thought it was a bit bizarre, as it didn't really seem to sift anyone out!

Just tell your boy to relax and don't sweat it. They explain everything really well, and let you practice immediately before hand and ask questions if you need to.

Mmm, he gained a similar impression from the online bit too! He's feeling more confident that he'll do himself justice now. Thanks for the advice.

NX

I can only echo the lift tone assessment was the hardest, we to had it played at least five times even then we were clueless!

However I passed grade 3 which the top score, grade 1 pass limits you to grade 1 positions like level crossing keeper. Grade 2 pass grade 2 signaller roles, grade 3 pass anything from grade 1 crossing keeper, up to grade 10 signaller roles.

Good luck

NX

TomBoyd

Should be said that you don't necessarily find out what 'grade' you get. I still don't know mine.

LWB

Question arising from the above; are there any left luggage lockers at Manchester Picadilly these days? Failing that any ideas where to leave overnight bag in that vicinity whilst doig tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.