• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Learn to code with Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
Over the last few months there have been several 'how do I build a route' type requests both on this (and other) forums and in my inbox. The responses must often seem discouraging at best and downright negative at worst to potential route builders.

Now, we all love driving good routes although there are relatively few active developers. To encourage 'newbies', I am suggesting a route is built on an open forum where all the commands used can be openly discussed in whatever detail is required. No prior knowledge would be assumed and the starting point would simply be considered as 'I want to build a route but haven't a clue how to'.

What I am proposing is that a route is built by myself 'on forum' from scratch. For simplicity the route would be short and fictional in nature but would contain as many BVE commands as possible. An element of object building will probably need to be included (probably starting off as modification of existing objects).

I would also have no objection to contributions from other developers as this is a learning exercise but I do not envisage is a collaborative route build - I am cetainly not aiming to produce the ultimate route but to demonstrate how to hand code.

Any interest in this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Hi Dennis.

It has been raised over at the other place that it is written in a wiki (such as Wikipedia), I am quite happy to host this if required. A community written project could result in a wiki for BVE routes, with commands under a location such as wiki.railuk.org/wiki/stop, etc.

A community driven route could certainly be interesting, as it would serve for many years to come.

Dennis

Established Member
I was not thinking of a collaborative (wiki type) route but more of a tutorial aimed at getting people started. The advantage of doing it in an open forum would be that questions can be asked and suggestions made en-route (no pun intended) and that a permanant record of the route building process is kept for future reference.

By keeping the route relatively simple, the commands can be covered quite quickly so those keen to get route building can follow the process from start to finish whilst those with a modicum of coding skills can hopefully learn more.

I am aware that there are route building tutorials around but by following the development of a route and being able to get answers to any questions which arise may be useful to new developers.

A rough plan of installments would be...

1.....essential requirements in the route file and laying a straight track between two stations

2.....intermediate stations, speed limits & timing

3....basic scenic elements

4.....curved track (including smooth curves), additional running rails and gradients

5.....rain, fog, lighting and adhesion

6.....junctions

7.....signalling

8.....sounds, timetables, AOB

Object modification and creation would be covered when required.

Given the above, I am expecting the final route to be fully drivable although not necessarily scenically complete or prototypically correct. From the subjects to be covered, it will be short (~5km), have 4 stations, two tracsk, have a junction, tight curves, stiff gradients, speed restrictions, start raning, become foggy and have signalling delays.

I would aim to cover one of the above headings per week (after all, I've got my own routes to finish off!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi Dennis.

This sounds like a mighty fine idea. I am most supportive of this idea, as I am quite interested in the concept of route building myself, having started to learn last year, but dropped it quite quickly. For me, it's a case of finding a PC that can handle BVE (which is more than a challenge...). Once I do that, I'll be back in BVE thundering along in the BVE4 HST.

It's a damn good idea Dennis, I can't wait to see it!

Regards,
WSXFan

I am glad of this becasue I really want ot make a few routes but I don't know how to code! 8)

ikar

Excellent idea, but wouldn't it be good to have a guide that exactly says how to make a DEMO route on your own, than you'd lear from the making of the demo.

Guinness

Established Member
Although I can place Track, Objects confidently in BVE etc. I still would be very willing to expand my knowledge of BVE!

Perhaps a creating an object course? ;)

Dennis

Established Member
Given the positive feedback, I'll see about making a start - expect the first installment in a few days (time permitting).

ikar said:
Excellent idea, but wouldn't it be good to have a guide that exactly says how to make a DEMO route on your own, than you'd lear from the making of the demo.
....quite agree - but what I am proposing should allow this to be done.

At the end of constructing the demo route, there is no reason why the tutorials cannot be condensed into a coding guide. There is also no reason why anyone who wishes to should not build a route of their own, applying what is learnt in the tutorials as they progress (and ignoring the parts they already know).

Status
Not open for further replies.