• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

Leedslad_

Leeds Civic Trust newsletter refers to a new platform being added and small improvements to New Station Street. Not aware of any details online elsewhere?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spod

I think there are plans for another platform alongside platform 1, but I don't expect anything major to happen before the station redesign for HS2 is firmed up. They won't want to do anything big that may then need changing for HS2 (or NPR).

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Platform zero is a committed scheme previously an output from Transpennine route upgrade. It will happen shortly, I'm told, whereas don't expect to see any HS2-related activity at Leeds until several years after the Phase 2B hybrid bill is granted, so 2023-ish.

Aictos

Established Member
Platform zero is a committed scheme previously an output from Transpennine route upgrade. It will happen shortly, I'm told, whereas don't expect to see any HS2-related activity at Leeds until several years after the Phase 2B hybrid bill is granted, so 2023-ish.

How long will Platform 0 be (pardon the pun), what's the maximum length it will take?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Within the past few months I have see what would appear to be a drilling rig, presumably for ground investigations. Don't forget the previous platform has never been electrified!

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I think there are plans for another platform alongside platform 1, but I don't expect anything major to happen before the station redesign for HS2 is firmed up.
Ain't HS2 pretty much set in concrete, it won't matter much anyway considering its pretty much a separate station bolted onto the existing.

How long will Platform 0 be (pardon the pun), what's the maximum length it will take?

I understand that works are planned to start on the new platform 0 this month. But whether work does in fact start is another matter. It is intended for the new platform to take 8 carriages, so around 190 metres.

Eric

I understand that works are planned to start on the new platform 0 this month. But whether work does in fact start is another matter. It is intended for the new platform to take 8 carriages, so around 190 metres.

So the staff car park is going?

I miss the days when Leeds City just had 11 platforms.

Bantamzen

Established Member
So the staff car park is going?

I miss the days when Leeds City just had 11 platforms.

I have to say as a commuter I don't! it was bad enough with 12 with the then schedules, it would be all be impossible to have shoehorned in more as per the current timetables let alone future improvements without even more delays & cancellations on a daily basis. I remember often sitting at Leeds West junction waiting for ages for a platform to clear before the upgrade, so some things are best left in the past.

takno

Established Member
I have to say as a commuter I don't! it was bad enough with 12 with the then schedules, it would be all be impossible to have shoehorned in more as per the current timetables let alone future improvements without even more delays & cancellations on a daily basis. I remember often sitting at Leeds West junction waiting for ages for a platform to clear before the upgrade, so some things are best left in the past.
As a commuter I could get across from a Harrogate line train to Bradford train in under 30 seconds with 11 platforms and the subway. The bridge alone added an average 10 minutes to my journey

Bantamzen

Established Member
As a commuter I could get across from a Harrogate line train to Bradford train in under 30 seconds with 11 platforms and the subway. The bridge alone added an average 10 minutes to my journey

There are occasions where the transit is longer this is true. However with all the extra services using Leeds, you'd probably find yourself sat outside Leeds for 10 minutes waiting for a platform & end up missing your planned connection.

Eric

Things were definitely much simpler back then. Straight under the subway and up to the platforms.

No silly escalators and those ridiculous barriers before them that always seems to catch someone out with bulky luggage causing a queue behind them to form.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Part of the problem with the bridge at Leeds is that it seems like it was built to handle the numbers of 1998, so by the time it was completed around 2001/2 it was already inadequate. The main staircase down to the barriers is fine, but those to the other platforms (particularly the 9/10/11 island) are restricted in width for obvious reasons.

The old subway may have been efficient, but it was grim and stank of pee. Good riddance!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ain't HS2 pretty much set in concrete, it won't matter much anyway considering its pretty much a separate station bolted onto the existing.
I imagine the issue is what might happen with NPR. The HS2 station may sweep away the buildings that currently block the extension of the existing station southwards, and NPR might well need more through platforms at Leeds. Both would affect the same area so if both are confirmed there could, for example, be an option of bringing forward the demolitions and the extra platforms to provide more capacity sooner. The recently-built southern entrance would probably have to go though!

Halifaxlad

Established Member
If they want a
medium term solution
then the simplest answer is to reopen all those sky lights!

With regards to long term improvements and capacity I don't know why they don't just re-open 'Leeds Central' ? Surely it would make more sense to divert terminating services to an actual terminus as opposed to a through station.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I liked the pine effect of the existing one, before they sploshed dulux all over it.

rich-leeds

Looks like the (well overdue) renewal of the existing roof over the South Concourse. I'm astounded the one on there has lasted as long as it has (50 years?) - most of the skylights are boarded over. A lightweight ETFE roof is probably the cheapest and easiest to install. It is nonetheless very welcome, and will be a good interim improvement, but perhaps a bit grand to suggest it is part of the longer term masterplan. Looks like the retail units are in line for some further overhaul too.

According to the article at Yorkshire Post, work starts in a matter of weeks! I've included the Network Rail press photo from the article here: http://www.infrastructure-intellige...ed-new-transparent-roof-leeds-railway-station

Leeds%20roof-WEB.jpg

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Thanks rich,

"The idea for the roof has come from the East Coast Main Line Railway Board"

from the above link provided by rich, this pretty much clarifies it. More piece meal development that doesn't follow an actual plan! Although in this case the existing roof probably does need replacing.

My gripe is really with the decision to construct the south entrance and the refurbishment of City House that could have been demolished to allow for more platforms and better access.

rich-leeds

Speaking of City House, does anyone remember this early render of their proposed works to what is now 'Platform'? (image from www.investinleedscityregion.com)

City%20House%20-%20Proposed%20-%202014%20(with%20Station%20Front%20concept)%20(2).jpg

If the 60s canopy out front also goes (looks likely from the Network Rail image), then this scene will be quite close to being realised.

Also, the New Station Street works Leedslad_ refers to above are due on site in 2019 which should tidy up the highway. There's some info on that here:
https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/projects/west-yorkshire-plus-transport-fund/leeds-station-gateway/

rich-leeds

Leeds Civic Trust newsletter refers to a new platform being added and small improvements to New Station Street. Not aware of any details online elsewhere?

Pages 53 and 54 of the latest Enhancement Delivery Plan talk about Platform 0 and other works planned for Leeds station platforms and signalling (under 'Leeds Station Capacity Enhancements'), which is probably the best you'll find online at present. Link here: https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Enhancement-Delivery-Plan-.pdf

johntea

Established Member
I hate Platform 17(A) as you have a lonnng walk to the stairs, or you could wait for the very slow lift which is nearly 20 years old itself! (granted it will have had maintenance over the years but still!)

There is a golden opportunity to make the door next to the platform that appeared as part of the Southern entrance/exit works rather than it being for staff only, but there are sadly no ticket barriers in the right place to prevent people just wanting to exit Leeds station that route

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One relatively simple change that would improve passenger flow would be to add second staircases/escalators to each island on the west side of the footbridge.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I hate Platform 17(A) as you have a lonnng walk to the stairs, or you could wait for the very slow lift which is nearly 20 years old itself! (granted it will have had maintenance over the years but still!)

There is a golden opportunity to make the door next to the platform that appeared as part of the Southern entrance/exit works rather than it being for staff only,

A hundred times yes !

That said, I'm quite excited about the new platform. Hadn't realised it was coming so soon.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Worst thing about P17 is that you have to fight the hordes on P16 to get to it. It'd also be difficult to add a second staircase pointing in the right direction, as there's not much space and the Southern entrance is in the way.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Worst thing about P17 is that you have to fight the hordes on P16 to get to it. It'd also be difficult to add a second staircase pointing in the right direction, as there's not much space and the Southern entrance is in the way.

Yes, there's nothing worse than a TPE suddenly disgorging thousands of passengers just as you're trying to get to the escalator.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes, there's nothing worse than a TPE suddenly disgorging thousands of passengers just as you're trying to get to the escalator.
That's not too bad- if you're heading for the escalator you've already arrived, and you're going with the flow... If you're trying to make an unofficial connection onto a Nottingham service and you've to walk through (and against) the crowds it's far worse!

Eric

Spoke with someone in leeds train station yesterday and platform 0 is taking the top car park. The bottom one will still remain.

So heaven forbid someone arriving onto platform 0 and wanting platform 17 because that will take you at least 10 minutes, maybe longer for not strong walkers like me.

I hope they build a southern bridge with lifts to cater for those unable to walk the ridiculous distances.

_toommm_

Established Member
Spoke with someone in leeds train station yesterday and platform 0 is taking the top car park. The bottom one will still remain.

So heaven forbid someone arriving onto platform 0 and wanting platform 17 because that will take you at least 10 minutes, maybe longer for not strong walkers like me.

I hope they build a southern bridge with lifts to cater for those unable to walk the ridiculous distances.

It took me 4 minutes to run from the departure end of 2 to 17 on a Saturday midday so not too too busy. Now I'm 19 and quite fit, so heaven forbid an older person walking with only a 10 minute connection at peak times...