• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I see that Leeds station is due another round of engineering works over xmas/new year. What's being done and what will be the outcome for passengers ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I see that Leeds station is due another round of engineering works over xmas/new year. What's being done and what will be the outcome for passengers ?
I think that this is the last phase of the 'Platform 0' re-modelling. Basically more parallel working across all of the low-numbered bays to get the best out of the platform capacity, eliminate pathing time and improve performance.

The principal reason that what appeared to be just 'building a new platform in a car park' actually cost so much and took so long.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think that this is the last phase of the 'Platform 0' re-modelling. Basically more parallel working across all of the low-numbered bays to get the best out of the platform capacity, eliminate pathing time and improve performance.

The principal reason that what appeared to be just 'building a new platform in a car park' actually cost so much and took so long.

Indeed. Best they wish they'd never built the bloody car park in the first place !

DavidSM

Oh so that is maybe the answer to my question I raised in another thread as to what were the new track panels and points doing aside the track at Armley.

Adam0984

More new track alignments to try and get the bottleneck in the corner (platforms 1-6) sorted.

Ken H

On Moderation
More new track alignments to try and get the bottleneck in the corner (platforms 1-6) sorted.
Another exit in the corner by the excess ticket office would help. So you can get from plat 0 to the north concourse without going through the main barrier. And how I miss the entrance on new station street. It was a useful short cut.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Another exit in the corner by the excess ticket office would help. So you can get from plat 0 to the north concourse without going through the main barrier. And how I miss the entrance on new station street. It was a useful short cut.
Even if they're set to exit only it's a shame that long term there's no evidence of either returning.

YorksLad12

Established Member
For those wondering, here's what the latest "railway neighbour" update says. P7 extension is a new one on me!

Attachments

• IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 140

quantinghome

Established Member
For those wondering, here's what the latest "railway neighbour" update says. P7 extension is a new one on me!
I understand that P7 involves some relatively minor work which will allow trains using the platform to have one extra carriage.

civ-eng-jim

I understand that P7 involves some relatively minor work which will allow trains using the platform to have one extra carriage.
4m extension and relocation
of the signal. To allow 4 cars Class 195s.

Civils work should be underway now.

Bit of rejigging of insulated rail joints and signalling kit. Commissioning to be done at Christmas.

Buffer stop to be replaced at some point too but not until next year.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Why would the buffer stop need replacing ? The platform was only built in 2001.

civ-eng-jim

Why would the buffer stop need replacing ? The platform was only built in 2001.
It looks about 50 years old and rusted to the track. Don't think much was done to P7 in the 2001 works.

Buffer face not compatible with the Class 195 and needs work doing to the deck behind it so it slides correctly on impact

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It looks about 50 years old and rusted to the track. Don't think much was done to P7 in the 2001 works.

Buffer face not compatible with the Class 195 and needs work doing to the deck behind it so it slides correctly on impact

Oh yes, it's the one facing Hull

YorksLad12

Established Member
4m extension and relocation
of the signal. To allow 4 cars Class 195s.

There's currently a pit at the end of platform 7! Looks like an extension is already going up.
The last Sectional Appendix I have/last looked at says it's 101m long now, so the extension is probably to accommodate the new buffer stop (and thus allow 4 x 23m sets) I'd have thought. There's usually a hefty gap between the train, buffer stop and platform end these days. P7 wasn't on my radar though, hence my surprise - I thought it was all at the western end, just the P4 to P6 work.

civ-eng-jim

The 101m will be the physical length, measured from the buffer face to the top of ramp but has an operational length of 95m due buffer stand back and anti-trespass/platform end gate gubbins.

The platform end fence (as it was before works started) could have been relocated to provide additional operational length but that would leave about a metre stand back from the platform signal to the train. Retaining the existing signal position was considered and co-acting signals used, but it turned out that was more faff than a new signal position (I'm not a signalling engineer, but I'm sure someone can explain why a co-actor is a faff)

It was considered to move the buffer stop to provide sliding length but the far end of Platform 7 and 8 wo9uld require extending further and would have been too narrow as it tapers in.

johntea

Established Member
What services use Platform 7 at Leeds?

As a former daily commuter through the station I'm actually struggling to recall many 'Platform 7 for the X service to Y' announcements although maybe I just got used to selective hearing for my regular services!

Starmill

Veteran Member
What services use Platform 7 at Leeds?

As a former daily commuter through the station I'm actually struggling to recall many 'Platform 7 for the X service to Y' announcements although maybe I just got used to selective hearing for my regular services!
Leeds to York via Garforth services.

Bigman

Platforms 7 and 14 were seldom used until they started doing the self enclosed Leeds - York services again. They had been generally used for stabling.

Neptune

Established Member
Currently p14 is used to stable a 158 all day between the peaks with p7 being used throughout. The layover of the York services sees p7 occupied for 40 minutes in each hour.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Platform 7 looks about finished.

Attachments

• 20211224_144902.jpg
    20211224_144902.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 194

The Lad

Does anyone have a before and after diagram for the changes over Christmas/New Year?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just looking at the timetabling back from Appleby and it's pretty abysmal really. The last service back towards Wakefield is at 18:08, and even that involves various long waits en route.

It would have been better for them to prioritise the longer distance services for the paths into Leeds, maybe adding some stops, but this doesn't seem to happen for some reason

Starmill

Veteran Member
It has been designated to maximise the capacity of trains running into Leeds, which requires the electric units. The difficulty is today there are no trains at all.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It has been designated to maximise the capacity of trains running into Leeds, which requires the electric units. The difficulty is today there are no trains at all.

In which case it would be better to run directly to Kirkstall, or even divert to Bradford instead.

To be fair to them, NR seem to be doing a pretty good job of organising things, with plenty of people on hand to ask. The goody bag is also a nice touch !

Last edited:

YorksLad12

Established Member
In which case it would be better to run directly to Kirkstall, or even divert to Bradford instead.

To be fair to them, NR seem to be doing a pretty good job of organising things, with plenty of people on hand to ask. The goody bag is also a nice touch !
If I'd known there were goody bags I'd have planned a trip!

I'm guessing the surface car park at the west has some access to the line? The muti-storey has been pretty much full the past week, and it can't be with Twixtmas travellers, so they might have been decanted into there. I think I can make out some new infrastructure (lights, headspans(?)) saw the occasional ballast train and a road rail vehicle. Very entertaining when there was nothing on the telly.

Apparently, all is progressing well and the station will be handed back on time on Tuesday. A year late but on time, if you follow.