• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Legacy of Colonialism on Developing Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gostav

Are you sure you're not gratuitously going out of your way to try to blame Europe for stuff that was done by Africans? Because it certainly looks to me like you are.
I'm not British and also not French, obviously I cannot have anything nice to say about the British or French colonial system. You believe in yours, I believe in mine.
If developing countries want to break the legacy of colonialism, they must develop their own industries, and the problem is that the future of industry is precisely monopolized by the West, to be precise, the Anglo-American system. The relative strength of the continental system represented by Germany and France is very limited.
What those developing countries need is just have another force to break the single Western system in those areas and let the great powers compete with each other which force them to continuously increase their support to developing countries.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Runningaround

If the colonial countries hadn't used the colonies resources to become rich, there would probably not be such a great difference between the wealth of the (former)colonists and the wealth of those colonised, such that the immigrants would not be attracted to come to share in this wealth. However, this lack of colonisation may not have made them any richer, the resources having been wasted (or still dormant).

It therefore seems apparent that if the wealthier countries gave away their wealth to the poorer ('levelling up' I think is the phrase in vogue) then they would not be so attractive for immigrants. I suspect that the wealthier countries would rather swallow the immigration pill rather than do that.

When the (former) colonial wealthier countries are so dominant, it is difficult for the former colonies to build their economies (our own [former] membership of a wealthier countries club shutting out former colonies imports being an example).
What happened to the resource rich country that kicked the UK out and used it's own resources to build itself, United it States? Didn't it became the World's most powerful and who the former Colonial Power can't do jack without it's support militarily. Who knows India could've been an even greater super power if it'd had the 250 years head start The USA had.

And whose population do you cut ? The O.P has given an idea in his killing off the old thread who he wants to go in the UK.

You need a healthy birth rate to provide if your 40 you need enough being born now to be earning to look after you and pay for the services you need and want in 25 years time. If the birth rate doesn't keep up you need to supplant it with economically active immigrants if they are coming from the same areas as they are now then climate change is going to make their countries not
liveable.
China's one child policy looked to be addressing the population growth but without siblings or extended family you'll be asking one child to look after his parents and probably grandparents.

The longer lived wealthier western nations using the highest amount of resources per head need but won't for whatever reason contribute, while the high birth rate in poorer low resources using populations need/want work and somewhere to comfortable to live

brad465

Established Member
Patrice Lumumba - brutally killed in 1961, apparently by Katangan secessionists (albeit with support from Belgium). How is that recent? And in mentioning his name in your apparent eagerness to blame 'the West', you've possibly missed that the killing was part of a coup apparently instigated by his own countrymen.
Thomas Sankara. Lead a coup d'etat in Burkina Faso in 1983. Subsequently killed 4 years later when he was himself deposed in a coup organised by his rivals in Burkina Faso. Again that's hardly 'recent' and you seem to have missed the largely African origins of his assassination.
I'm not familiar with the examples in question so won't give specific opinions on them, however I would say that events can have long legacies that make them relatively recent, and the two examples here took place within the lifetimes of many people still alive today, and their lives may well have been influenced by such events in a way that still impacts them. What's not necessarily recent in your/my mind could well be recent for someone more directly affected, particularly citizens in the affected country/region.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So the future of industry is monopolized by the West. Something must be looking up because I was under the impression that it was being monopolized by China !

Gostav

So the future of industry is monopolized by the West. Something must be looking up because I was under the impression that it was being monopolized by China !
Until now, China has not started to influence the West's monopoly of high-margin industries in key areas, I think it depends on China's further development in the chip, aircraft, aerospace industries.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Until now, China has not started to influence the West's monopoly of high-margin industries in key areas, I think it depends on China's further development in the chip, aircraft, aerospace industries.

I've no doubt they will have designs on those areas (I read China was planning a mission to Mars at some stage).

Status
Not open for further replies.