• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Letter of prosecution for wrong railcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB6

Hi everyone I've never made thread before but here's my first. On October I was travelling from Luton airport to Luton I quickly purchased my ticket and didn't realise I had selected the 16-17 instead of 16-25 railcard (which I have). The gates at Luton airport were open because of peak times so I went past without scanning and got on my train. When I arrived at Luton I was asked by the inspector to show my barcode ticket which I did. Then was asked to show my railcard upon showing she told me I have an invalid ticket and my details were taken down. Just today I received this letter I have already written my response which I should've done after advice from this post. Thank you :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 187
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Welcome. Are you able to share your response?

Did you buy a ticket with an app (such as Trainline)? If so you can expect your account to be investigated to see whether you've done this repeatedly or if it is one off.

Either way, hopefully your response was contrite and apologetic, and you undertook to be more careful in future. If so, you should hopefully be offered an out of court settlement, instead of being prosecuted. It's likely to cost you an admin cost of around £150, together with the full single fare for the journey you took. Costly in the context of the mistake made, but far better than being taken to court.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The gates at Luton airport were open because of peak times so I went past without scanning and got on my train.
As a regular user of Luton Airport Parkway I find this very difficult to believe, and so will the Thameslink investigators. If you have a home address near to Parkway they'll be wondering why you wouldn't have walked or got a bus into the town centre. As they have your address, they may well be looking at that and how it relates to what I have said above.

What we advocate on this forum is honesty, both with us and with the train company. If what you are telling us above is not true then please reconsider what you have posted and what you may post going forward.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
As a regular user of Luton Airport Parkway I find this very difficult to believe, and so will the Thameslink investigators. If you have a home address near to Parkway they'll be wondering why you wouldn't have walked or got a bus into the town centre. As they have your address, they may well be looking at that and how it relates to what I have said above.

What we advocate on this forum is honesty, both with us and with the train company. If what you are telling us above is not true then please reconsider what you have posted and what you may post going forward.
The purchase of a ticket for just one stop, which hasn't been scanned, did strike me as somewhat of a coincidence too. All the OP is telling us though is that the fact that railcard didn't match the one on the ticket was picked up. If however, there were other aspects that drew the inspector's attention and were discussed then as you say we need to know, as it could change the scenario considerably in terms of what is being faced by them. (And even if the inspector's attention wasn't alerted, a review of previous purchases could warrant further investigation.)

AB6

The purchase of a ticket for just one stop, which hasn't been scanned, did strike me as somewhat of a coincidence too. All the OP is telling us though is that the fact that railcard didn't match the one on the ticket was picked up. If however, there were other aspects that drew the inspector's attention and were discussed then as you say we need to know, as it could change the scenario considerably in terms of what is being faced by them. (And even if the inspector's attention wasn't alerted, a review of previous purchases could warrant further investigation.)
Yes I did use Trainline and it shows that I had purchased the wrong ticket and then the correct one. I was getting picked up from the Luton station with a relative so that is why I didn't walk or catch a bus. The inspector went through my Trainline app and saw other purchases for Luton to Luton airport which I had explained I needed for university as I used to get dropped off at St Pancras by car from the airport station (due to at the time my student finance not arriving and this being the best way for me money wise). But that was about it. I'm not sure what other aspects could have caused this.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes I did use Trainline and it shows that I had purchased the wrong ticket and then the correct one. I was getting picked up from the Luton station with a relative so that is why I didn't walk or catch a bus. The inspector went through my Trainline app and saw other purchases for Luton to Luton airport which I had explained I needed for university as I used to get dropped off at St Pancras by car from the airport station (due to at the time my student finance not arriving and this being the best way for me money wise). But that was about it. I'm not sure what other aspects could have caused this.
As I said before, you need to be honest with us. When are you going to start?

skyhigh

Established Member
Luton to Luton airport which I had explained I needed for university as I used to get dropped off at St Pancras by car from the airport station
So you're saying you got the train from Luton to Luton Airport Parkway, and then left the train there to be driven to St Pancras?

That is hard to believe.

Veteran Member
So you're saying you got the train from Luton to Luton Airport Parkway, and then left the train there to be driven to St Pancras?

That is hard to believe.
Of course, the driver will be willing to confirm this under oath in court :)

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Maybe @AB6 needs to consider how many other similar journeys will be showing on their online account, and recall whether they too were not scanned at the Airport station. It could be very relevant in terms of how the investigation might unfold, and how much it could cost them.

island

Veteran Member
Yes I did use Trainline and it shows that I had purchased the wrong ticket and then the correct one.
You say that you “purchased the wrong ticket and then the correct one”. Why did you then proceed to use/show the “wrong ticket” and get written up by an inspector?
As I said before, you need to be honest with us. When are you going to start?
I am afraid I must agree with this assessment. Whilst it may appear that we are “picking holes in your story”, the prosecuting officers, who decide whether you will go to court and likely end up with a criminal record, will be seeing the same holes and will be assuming they exist because your story is lies layered over lies and that those lies are being told because the reality makes you look even worse.

We can help, but not if you’re going to keep making things up.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I am just going to add that, most of the time, the cheapest and quickest way to get from Luton Airport Parkway to Luton will be by bus, not by train even for a railcard holder.

LAX54

Established Member

That is hard to believe.
The way I read it was... from Luton Airport to Luton, then car to St Pancras Stn.

LAX54

Established Member
Which makes even less sense.
His first post: On October I was travelling from Luton airport to Luton I quickly purchased my ticket and didn't realise I had selected the 16-17 instead of 16-25 railcard (which I have). The gates at Luton airport were open because of peak times so I went past without scanning and got on my train

spag23

On Moderation
But the OP later says:
I used to get dropped off at St Pancras by car from the airport station
So it's not at all clear what direction the OP is describing. And is this car journey both ways? If not, there are presumably demonstrable tickets between STP - Luton (Airport or Town). But hopefully not STP <> Kentish Town.

Richardr

Is St Pancras the final destination, or is the train (or any other train / tube) journey taken from there?

AB6

hi guys I've taken in all your responses okay so I did lie about what I've said this is the fully story in all honesty. I travel to London usually by super off peak ticket to get to university however I had to go early which meant I had to buy the peak time ticket from Luton to London Underground Zone 1-6. Instead I bought a Luton to Luton airport ticket and then on the train I would buy a St Pancras to UndergroundZone1-6. I know it's wrong and usually I would be fine doing this. The issue was that when coming back I bought a 16-17 saver from Luton airport to Luton on my return. That's all the investigators would know and that's what they caught me on. Buying this was a complete accident as I meant to get the 16-25 railcard single from Luton airport to Luton. And thats when the investigator caught me and asked for my railcard which I showed her and she said I have an invalid barcode as I don't have 16-17 railcard. She then saw on my Trainline app my previous journeys and asked why I always go to Luton airport or London which I replied I am a student. That's all that had happened. I then proceeded to tell her I would buy the correct ticket right now as this was purely a mistake (the 16-17 ticket). But she wouldn't budge and said there would be an investigation done. That's the full story to the best of my knowledge. My apologies for before I am really scared and have never had this happen before.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Ok, so to be clear, when they search your Trainline account they will find some days (you implied it wasn’t the first time) where there is a short ticket, and then a Z 1-6 travelcard? That will certainly arouse suspicion, and presumably an allegation of short faring will follow.

Haywain

Veteran Member
usually I would be fine doing this.
You think committing a criminal offence is "fine"? Give your head a wobble. And you may well find that investigators are not as daft as you seem to think.

fandroid

Established Member
Your use of the phrase "would buy a ticket" suggests that you've done this "doughnutting" before. The train company will work that out.

AB6

Ok, so to be clear, when they search your Trainline account they will find some days (you implied it wasn’t the first time) where there is a short ticket, and then a Z 1-6 travelcard? That will certainly arouse suspicion, and presumably an allegation of short faring will follow.
Yes that's true I did this for around two weeks 6-8 days because I couldn't travel to my university as I didn't have the funds to do so.

AB6

You think committing a criminal offence is "fine"? Give your head a wobble. And you may well find that investigators are not as daft as you seem to think.
By fine I meant I didn't have issues when this would happen before I have now realised it's wrong and the ticket inspector only checked because I had purchased a ticket using the wrong railcard.

Your use of the phrase "would buy a ticket" suggests that you've done this "doughnutting" before. The train company will work that out.
Yes for around two weeks.

MotCO

Established Member
I will take a punt and assume your initials are AB and you were born in 2006. If I can work this out, any investigator would also work this out, so if they read this forum (and they do) assume that they now have full details of your misdemeanors

AB6

I will take a punt and assume your initials are AB and you were born in 2006. If I can work this out, any investigator would also work this out, so if they read this forum (and they do) assume that they now have full details of your misdemeanors
I really do not want to go court or anything I would just like to have an out of court settlement and pay the amount required.

MotCO

Established Member
I really do not want to go court or anything I would just like to have an out of court settlement and pay the amount required.

In which case, you need to engage positively with the Train Operating Company and its investigators. I note that you have already sent a response: I hope it was truthful and did not incriminate yourself. If it wasn't, I don't know whether you should try to rescind your first response and replace with the truth - others on this forum will be able to advise.

AB6

In which case, you need to engage positively with the Train Operating Company and its investigators. I note that you have already sent a response: I hope it was truthful and did not incriminate yourself. If it wasn't, I don't know whether you should try to rescind your first response and replace with the truth - others on this forum will be able to advise.
I've written it down but have no sent it

I'm thinking of writing about apologising learning from my mistakes and am keen to pay the outstanding amount and any extras for the troubles caused. I feel keeping it short would be better as if I try include information it may seem like arguing or trying to lessen whatever consequences I will receive. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I suggest posting a draft of your reply in this thread so that we can proof read it for you.

AB6

I suggest posting a draft of your reply in this thread so that we can proof read it for you.
I deeply apologise for my mistake I made & any inconveniences caused by this. I have learnt from this and will do better next time I have never had anything like this happen before so this has surely taught me a lesson. I realise my faults and am keen on settling the matter out of court via a fine. I am happy to pay the outstanding amount and any extra costs for your trouble and time which you deem appropriate. Once again I am truly sorry and thank you.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I deeply apologise for my mistake I made & any inconveniences caused by this. I have learnt from this and will do better next time I have never had anything like this happen before so this has surely taught me a lesson. I realise my faults and am keen on settling the matter out of court via a fine. I am happy to pay the outstanding amount and any extra costs for your trouble and time which you deem appropriate. Once again I am truly sorry and thank you.
I recommend this is re-written. For starters what you did wasn’t a mistake.

I suggest you mention the following in your letter:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Status
Not open for further replies.