• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

level 8 signaller roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplesue

I have applied several times for level 8 signaller role and each time I have been rejected at interview stage. Is there anyone on here who has applied for a role at this level, with no experience as a signaller, and got the job? I am beginning to think that it is not possible to get this job without first having experience as at a lower level. Am I right?

I asked the manager who was in charge of my last application (although he did not interview me) for some feedback- all he replied was that others scored higher than me- bit of a waste of time bothering to email me with such nonconstructive comments!

Does anyone know if there is an obligation on the part of the manager to provide proper feedback?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NX

I was successful for my grade 7 job, and I know three who got grade 9 with zero signalling experience.

Of the 5 others on my course, 4 had zero railway experience.

nom de guerre

It is possible. Two of my class at school went into Grade 9 jobs with no prior signalling experience. One of my colleagues went straight off the street into a 9.

HR will generally try to provide some sort of feedback, but I'm not aware of any obligation to do so; nor of any commitment as to its quality/detail. Did you ask the HR person to expand on their initial feedback? What was the response?

Last edited:

TomBoyd

HR will generally try to provide some sort of feedback, but I'm not aware of any obligation to do so; nor of any commitment as to its quality/detail. Did you ask the HR person to expand on their initial feedback? What was the response?

There is zero obligation for feedback.

I got my first Grade 8 job while I was at signalling school for a Grade 2. I've seen plenty of people walk in off the street into 8/9s. Even SSM roles are sometimes filled off the street.

If you can show that you have relevant experience, and the right skills and attitude, they'll snap you up.

Of course experience helps, and being in NR (at any role/level) allows you access to the internal jobs list, so your chances are higher.

NX

I believe that the practice of applying and being offer a grade 2 (for example) job, going to signalling school then whilst there applying and getting offered a higher grade job has been stopped, I think your at your initial location for at least a year.

When the year starts I'm not sure, whether it be from the date of your employment or one year from passing out I'm not sure.

simplesue

I believe that the practice of applying and being offer a grade 2 (for example) job, going to signalling school then whilst there applying and getting offered a higher grade job has been stopped, I think your at your initial location for at least a year.

Can anyone else confirm this?

warrior33

Can anyone else confirm this?

Confirmed. This shouldn't be seen as a negative, it's in order to get people staying and learning the trade before moving on and starting the whole 6-18 month process again from recruitment to fully trained.

SimpleSue - I went into a Grade 9 Signalling Centre with no signalling experience, I was however station staff within Network Rail at the time. Which only means that I was able to see the internal job list so more able to apply.

There are plenty of people who get high graded posistions from off the streets. Network Rail are under no obligation to give feedback unless it's an internal candidate.

Recruitment will not usually give any feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.