• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level Crossings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
how do they know a train is coming.. am making a LC in systems & control at school....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
The sequence is activated either by a track circuit or a treadle. I could explain to you in further detail if needs be, but I'd have to refresh my memory a bit.

Ca55ie

Either treadles, where they detect the train by 'sensing' when the wheels pass through, or by the signalman actually operating them manually by clearing the signal in rear, which is the case with most 'automatic' crossings controlled by large PSB/IECCs...

On smaller crossing boxes, however, they are usually operated manually, and some aren't even interlocked with the signals at all, with the crossing being controlled by the signalman.

Simming

Depends what Sort Of Level Crossing you are designing, as there are various sorts, all depending on the amount of Road and Rail Traffic.

There is manually Controlled Barriers which are operated my a signalman (sorry Person, have to be PC) at the LC, who lowers and raise the barriers on a small panel in the box. some of these panels can be more complecated, and have auto raise, or can operate different parts of the LC, like Lights only. They Usually either have a button on the panel, of a lever if its a lever frame to say the crossing is clear.

CCTV works similer, but is controled remotely, using CCTv to make sure the LC is Clear.

Once either the Locking Leaver, or Clear Button is Cleared, The Signals can be cleared.

AHB crossings work by either seperate TCs or Tredles. once triggered these start of the LC sequence for an automatic crossing, which is

Amber light for 3 seconds
Twins Reds Start to Flash, then 4-8 seconds laters barriers come down, which takes about 6-8 seconds
No less than 27 seconds after the amber shows on the crossing can the train then cross.
Barriers Raise, Unless 10 seconds can elapse before the next train triggers it all off.
AHBs are mointed at a control point, but dont usually have protecting signals, but they will havea detection in the box to show whether barriers are up or down

And then theres ABCL, AOCL, Gated Crossings Etc, but its too late to go into detail about all that

JN114

Established Member
yeah its AHB i'm making... however i got the timings a bit differnet....

i got (while standing at an AHB crossing)

7 seconds Amber

Reds start Flashing and Barriers start going down.....

TRain goes through

barriers raise and reds go off.

I'd change to the new timings on my model but i'd need to rebuild the circuit....

Derek Kaye

JN114 said:
yeah its AHB i'm making... however i got the timings a bit differnet....

i got (while standing at an AHB crossing)

7 seconds Amber

are you sure it was an AHB, and not a controlled crossing?

Tomnick

Established Member
I've never known any crossing - controlled or otherwise - to have the 'amber' phase lasting as long as seven seconds. Simming's timing sequence sounds about right :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.