• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Levenmouth rail link to reopen: project updates

chuff chuff

They may not have fully sorted that out yet,they may be placed on the Saturday ready for Sunday.
Honestly who knows,the early days they may have to make it up as they go.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
The statement about stabling three trains at Levenmouth came from a presentation by Scotrail last August - see #422. Of course, plans could have changed since then.

H&I

According to a post on one of the Facebook sites, linked and quoted in #422, three trains will be stabled at Leven.

Ah, I see, thanks. That means the 08:30 will be the first official passenger service on the line. Hopefully, I will be on that service.

vic-rijrode

...especially to say there's no direct service between Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy...
There is a direct service but only on Sundays. I was on one last August - I made the journey from the NE of England especially to complete the Fife Circle on one train.

lachlan

Trains used to run to Glenrothes via both Kirkcaldy and Dunfermline. In practise you could stay on at Glenrothes and travel "around the loop".

zwk500

Veteran Member
However, there is no corresponding ECS working to get those trains to Leven in the first place. That is why I am wondering if the timetable is incomplete and whether there are actually earlier workings.
It seems like some workings are missing. On the 2nd of June, the first departures from Leven to Edinburgh are at 08:30 and 09:32 with nothing earlier than that. They also both depart from platform 1. There are no earlier workings that explain how these trains get to Leven in the first place.
I would point out I linked to the Monday services. The platforming is likely incorrect. The standard pattern appears to be that there are 2 services terminating in the evening that form the first two services in the morning. Exactly what happens on weekends, and especially the first weekend, I haven't looked at.

D6130

Established Member
I would point out I linked to the Monday services. The platforming is likely incorrect. The standard pattern appears to be that there are 2 services terminating in the evening that form the first two services in the morning. Exactly what happens on weekends, and especially the first weekend, I haven't looked at.
What will happen with the crews of the last two trains at night and the first two in the morning? Will they be taxied to and from Edinburgh....or are ScotRail planning to set up a new train crew depot at Leven, as they did at Tweedbank when the Borders Line reopened?

H&I

What will happen with the crews of the last two trains at night and the first two in the morning? Will they be taxied to and from Edinburgh....or are ScotRail planning to set up a new train crew depot at Leven, as they did at Tweedbank when the Borders Line reopened?
I do not work in the rail industry, but do train crews have to start and finish work at a depot? Are they not allowed to head directly to Leven from their home and vice versa at the end of their shift?

D6130

Established Member
I do not work in the rail industry, but do train crews have to start and finish work at a depot? Are they not allowed to head directly to Leven from their home and vice versa at the end of their shift?
Not normally for passenger train crews. They have to sign-on/off - or swipe-on/off at their home depot or station. At larger depots, this will be overseen by a Train Crew Supervisor who is able - in theory - to ascertain whether they are fit for work. Drivers must then read the Late Notice Board, which gives details of short notice alterations such as emergency speed restrictions or temporary infastructure alterations. Some smaller depots are remotely-monitored by the TCS at a larger depot in the area....in which case it would usually be the case that short notice alterations will be emailed to a designated supervisor driver to be posted on the LNB. However, quite a few freight drivers have their diagram (daily work schedule) and late notices emailed directly to their company ipad or tablet and then drive - often in a company car or van - to the point where they are booked to relieve their train.

najaB

Veteran Member
Will they be taxied to and from Edinburgh....or are ScotRail planning to set up a new train crew depot at Leven, as they did at Tweedbank when the Borders Line reopened?
I suspect it could be a mix of Edinburgh and Perth crews.

H&I

Not normally for passenger train crews. They have to sign-on/off - or swipe-on/off at their home depot or station. At larger depots, this will be overseen by a Train Crew Supervisor who is able - in theory - to ascertain whether they are fit for work. Drivers must then read the Late Notice Board, which gives details of short notice alterations such as emergency speed restrictions or temporary infastructure alterations. Some smaller depots are remotely-monitored by the TCS at a larger depot in the area....in which case it would usually be the case that short notice alterations will be emailed to a designated supervisor driver to be posted on the LNB. However, quite a few freight drivers have their diagram (daily work schedule) and late notices emailed directly to their company ipad or tablet and then drive - often in a company car or van - to the point where they are booked to relieve their train.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about how convenient it would be if someone happened to live in Leven. They could have had an easy five-minute walk or cycle commute to pick up their train for the day, as Leven seems to be a quaint little town without the costs of renting in Edinburgh. I also did not know that work notices are still paper-based rather than emailed or texted (e.g., via Slack or WhatsApp) for passenger train crews, but I guess it makes sense to have a supervisor check whether staff are fit for work at the start of each shift. The costs of providing taxis for train crew to and from Leven and Edinburgh or Perth every day must surely add up, though.

InOban

Established Member
I'm sure I read that they were recruiting at Levenmouth, but given the training time for new drivers, I assume that they were looking for drivers to transfer.

snowball

Established Member
The Facebook item linked in post #422, which I am now mentioning for the third time today, says this:

Among information provided – 3 trains will be stabled overnight in Leven and a small train crew depot (sized for 24 including 10 drivers, 10 conductors) which will occupy two-thirds of the station building. Both stations will be unmanned. These, in fact up to 400 crew in total need to be trained in batches from January onwards

One major concern is the shortage of rolling stock so services may suffer from the current major shortage. Class 158 and 170 diesel units (2-3 carriages) will be used initially.

najaB

Veteran Member
The Facebook item linked in post #422, which I am now mentioning for the third time today, says this:
True. But the pair of ECSs to Perth towards the end of the day suggests that at least some Perth crew will operate services on the branch.

D6130

Established Member
True. But the pair of ECSs to Perth towards the end of the day suggests that at least some Perth crew will operate services on the branch.
I wonder whether that will be just a temporary measure until such time as the new Leven depot is fully established?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I see the initial service will be via Kirkadly, with a Dunfermline service added...........when? December?

The Dunfermline service will use the west curve at Thornton Junction that is currently difficult to get.

najaB

Veteran Member
The Dunfermline service will use the west curve at Thornton Junction that is currently difficult to get.
Don't the north-bound Cross Country services use that curve any more? Looked it up, doesn't seem that they do.

Last edited:
I see the initial service will be via Kirkadly, with a Dunfermline service added...........when? December?

Easy to get if you catch one of these:

0600 Perth - Edinburgh
0700 Perth - Edinburgh
2319 Edinburgh - Perth.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Easy to get if you catch one of these:

0600 Perth - Edinburgh
0700 Perth - Edinburgh
2319 Edinburgh - Perth.
Only if you live in Perth, Ladybank or Markinch, or are prepared to get off the Highland Sleeper in the wee small hours. Not quite the same as a 2tph service all day.
Anyway, does someone know when said 2tph service will be starting? december , or May next year?

snowball

Established Member
According to a quote from last September's timetable consultation in the opening post in the relevant thread,

The planned timetable will be introduced in 2025 once we have completed the necessary steps required to ensure that we have enough resources to do so.

Roger B

Looking at RTT, services to/from Leven station (LEV) in April and May are class 3 - presumeably for route and staff training etc, whereas from June onwards they are class 2 - ie public services open for passengers, although I've not been able to book a journey to / from Leven, via National Rail's website, yet. But it does leave me wondering whether preparations are underway to reopen the line earlier than 2025 ....

I've skimmed through the previous pages, but can't see the distance between Leven station and Thornton North Junction, in miles and chains. I've tried the RailMiles calculator, but it responds "No mileage can be identified for this route". If anyone could advise the distance, in miles and chains, that'd be very helpful - many thanks.

Looking at RTT, services to/from Leven station (LEV) in April and May are class 3 - presumeably for route and staff training etc, whereas from June onwards they are class 2 - ie public services open for passengers, although I've not been able to book a journey to / from Leven, via National Rail's website, yet. But it does leave me wondering whether preparations are underway to reopen the line earlier than 2025 ....

I've skimmed through the previous pages, but can't see the distance between Leven station and Thornton North Junction, in miles and chains. I've tried the RailMiles calculator, but it responds "No mileage can be identified for this route". If anyone could advise the distance, in miles and chains, that'd be very helpful - many thanks.

Services are to start in 2024, the full timetable is to start in 2025.

The Puddock

6m 01ch

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Work to build a new footbridge over the Levenmouth railway at Duniface has started.

Spanning 144m over the new railway and the River Leven, the bridge will carry the core path between Methilhill and Kennoway, replacing Swaine’s bridge which sits over the river.

It’s the first of three new bridges that will be constructed along the new six-mile branch line, connecting the new stations directly to the communities they will serve.

The bridge at Duniface is part of the first phase of work on the active travel network which will initially focus on creating links to the new railway stations at Leven and Cameron Bridge.

An improved walking and cycling offering will be integral to the future of the Levenmouth rail corridor and the bridge will be central to the enhanced active travel routes being developed.

Joe Mulvenna, Network Rail’s project manager for the Levenmouth Rail Link said: “We are delighted that the work is underway on the Duniface bridge, and we have a challenge ahead of us to get it ready in time for the railway opening in June.

“The active travel network will make a huge impact on the area and will improve connectivity between communities, across the river and linking to the new stations.

“The bridge will improve options for walking and cycling but also support users of mobility scooters, wheelchairs, prams and buggies in moving about the community and accessing the rail network for onward journeys.”

The active travel network being created alongside the wider rail project will deliver a safe and attractive walking, wheeling and cycling network accessible to all. Feedback from local people is helping to inform the bridge locations and shape detailed designs.

Passenger services on the new Levenmouth Rail Link start in June and provision of key active travel links in and around the stations will improve access and maximise the economic, social, and environmental benefits that the new rail link brings.

snowball

Established Member
The Trackwatch page in the April Modern Railways has a description of the branch. For example the single lead from Thornton North Junction is 60 chains long. Despite the closure of foot crossings towards the western end, and the construction of a farm underpass, one user-worked crossing remains. Approaching Leven station there are of course a pair of crossovers. The text says the trailing crossover is to the west of the facing one but the accompanying diagram shows them the other way round. On the basis of photographs I've seen, I think the text is correct.

Meanwhile there's a press release with video:

Jenny Gilruth, MSP for Mid-Fife and Glenrothes, visited the site of the Levenmouth Rail Link last week (Friday 22 March) to get the latest update on the project.

Work to complete the rail link is ongoing with the Fife towns of Cameron Bridge and Leven set to see the resumption of passenger services for the first time in more than five decades from June.

As well as meeting the project team, Ms. Gilruth visited the sites of the new stations in both towns to see the progress that’s been made towards completion.

With the line now operational for driver training, the focus of the work is on finishing the passenger facilities at the stations and on the active travel network.

On visiting the site, Jenny Gilruth MSP, said: “We are now just 10 weeks away from the resumption of passenger services to Cameron Bridge and Leven for the first time in more than half a century and the excitement in the community continues to build.

“The progress that is being made on the stations is fantastic to see and the active travel network is beginning to take shape with three new bridges set to span the railway and the river and link local communities to the stations.

“While the railway offers local people direct links to Edinburgh, it is important that we don’t forget all that Levenmouth has to offer and consider how we can build on that to bring visitors to the area, grow tourism and boost the local economy.

“New transport links will improve the life chances of local people by providing access to training, education and employment while supporting regeneration and economic development and addressing social exclusion in communities across Levenmouth.”

Joe Mulvenna, Network Rail’s project manager for the new railway said: “We are now just weeks away from the reopening of the rail link and it was great to welcome Ms. Gilruth back to site to update on progress.

“The team onsite is focused on completing work at the new stations as well as on the network of active travel routes that will improve connections between the stations and the communities they will serve.

“The opening of the new line will improve social and economic opportunities for people in the surrounding communities and we are working with local partners to maximise the positive impact the project will have right across the area.

“It has been a privilege to be part of this project and we are confident that over time the railway will transform the lives of local people and the communities it will serve.”

Both new stations will offer car parking spaces with provision for electric vehicle charging, accessible spaces and cycle storage as well as interchange options for onward travel and direct links to local footpaths and cycle routes.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
And another press release:

As work to deliver the Levenmouth Rail Link nears completion, local MP Wendy Chamberlain visited the site of the new Leven station.

The visit offered the North-East Fife MP an opportunity to see first-hand the progress that is being made on the project ahead of the return of passenger services on Sunday June 2.

Once complete, the Scottish Government-funded rail link will see a new six-mile double-tracked line with two stations in Leven and Cameron Bridge reconnect local people to the railway after a gap of 55 years.

Work is ongoing at sites all along the line, including at both stations and on infrastructure to help expand the active travel network being delivered alongside the railway project.

Both new stations will offer car parking spaces with provision for electric vehicle charging, accessible spaces and cycle storage as well as interchange options for onward travel on public transport and direct links to local footpaths and cycle routes.