• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lewes closure: Thursday 7 March-Sunday 10 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKing

Between the dates stated in the thread title, all lines through Lewes will be closed to allow for a major signalling upgrade (specifically, completing the process of moving all signalling control to Three Bridges from Lewes and Newhaven signal boxes).

Unlike the previous weekend closures in the area, the line between Falmer and Lewes will also be closed, meaning that connections from the East Coastway into London will be fairly difficult, especially during peak times. Westbound services from Ore/Hastings, I believe, will be terminating and re-starting from Polegate.

It states on the Southern website that shuttle services will operate between Brighton and Falmer, running every 40 minutes. With no available points to allow for a cross from the eastbound line to the westbound line, how will this shuttle work? Will bi-directional working be implemented, or is this simply a mistake?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
It states on the Southern website that shuttle services will operate between Brighton and Falmer, running every 40 minutes. With no available points to allow for a cross from the eastbound line to the westbound line, how will this shuttle work? Will bi-directional working be implemented, or is this simply a mistake?
Single line working with pilot (not sure of the official terms these days)?

RichardKing

Single line working with pilot (not sure of the official terms these days)?
Would single line working result in services running back up to Brighton via the eastbound line (i.e. the wrong line) have to run at a reduced speed?

Sunset route

Established Member
Hmmm so it looks like we are working SLW to and from the point of obstruction with a pilotmam, in the same way that we did bertewen Three Bridges and Gatwick when they commissioned the new signalling and the new platform 7 at Gatwick a few Christmas’s back.

Last edited:

RichardKing

Hmmm so it looks like we are working SLW to and from the point of obstruction with a pilotmam, in the same way that we did bertewen Three Bridges and Gatwick when they commissioned the new signalled and platform 7 at Gatwick a few Christmas’s back.
I suppose it helps that Falmer can accommodate 8, so Southern can be flexible with their lengths...especially during the peaks! The local Universities at will be grateful for this shuttle service as well.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Hopefully they will make passive provision for a junction at Hamsey and a turnback siding to the East.

Sunset route

Established Member
Rumour from very close to the ground, says that only Lewes signalbox area will close and migrate this weekend and the two Newhaven signalboxes will migrate at a later future date (due to issues).

The “training sim” doesn’t show Newhaven Town staying as a crossing keeper position when that does close, but the displaced staff were certain that was what was supposed to be happening so maybe that’s the issue.

BRblue

Rumour from very close to the ground, says that only Lewes signalbox area will close and migrate this weekend and the two Newhaven signalboxes will migrate at a later future date (due to issues).

The “training sim” doesn’t show Newhaven Town staying as a crossing keeper position when that does close, but the displaced staff were certain that was what was supposed to be happening so maybe that’s the issue.
I have heard this very same rumour from a very reliable source... Both Newhaven boxes staying open, only Lewes will be closing for the time being.

Class 170101

Established Member
I have heard this very same rumour from a very reliable source... Both Newhaven boxes staying open, only Lewes will be closing for the time being.

But who is covering those boxes? Presumably the signallers in those boxes have other jobs to go to that can't wait for them or retirement?

pdeaves

Established Member
But who is covering those boxes? Presumably the signallers in those boxes have other jobs to go to that can't wait for them or retirement?
Presumably those signallers remain at Newhaven until such time as those boxes close, at which point they move to the relevant workstation at Three Bridges. If the workstation isn't ready yet there is no need for them to move away from what they are currently doing.

Bishopstone

Established Member
How long will Network Rail need to possess the Seaford branch, to finally complete the transfer of signalling control?

I’m getting bored of paying for trains but travelling on buses for large chunks of time.

Sunset route

Established Member

Presumably those signallers remain at Newhaven until such time as those boxes close, at which point they move to the relevant workstation at Three Bridges. If the workstation isn't ready yet there is no need for them to move away from what they are currently doing.

I don’t think any of the Newhaaven Town/Harbour residents are going to TBROC, they are either going to TBASC, Lancing or retirement.

As for Lewes residents and relief, some chose the TBROC, the rest are also Lancing or retirement.

BRblue

I don’t think any of the Newhaaven Town/Harbour residents are going to TBROC, they are either going to TBASC, Lancing or retirement.

As for Lewes residents and relief, some chose the TBROC, the rest are also Lancing or retirement.
3 reliefs to the ROC... now on hold.

trainmania100

Established Member
There's a keymer junction to hoo junction path the following day, which leads me to believe it may not be for the marine area.

carriageline

Established Member

Newhaven Town was never staying as a crossing keeper. There is crossing control units on the workstation desk, one for Newhaven Town!

Perhaps the freight is for some track work, as I believe they are relaying some points going towards Marine?

carriageline

Established Member
Yeah so was I. Someone at work mentioned the sand drag was coming out, but I thought that was already gone? Hence why the siding is OOU

Sunset route

Established Member
Newhaven Town was never staying as a crossing keeper. There is crossing control units on the workstation desk, one for Newhaven Town!

I know that was the intention, but colleagues on the branch plus LW relief have strongly hinted the “Town” failed its risk assessment and so would have to remain as a crossing keeper and my contact who is in the know as it’s their job to know is keeping all information close to their chest.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I know that was the intention, but colleagues on the branch plus LW relief have strongly hinted the “Town” failed its risk assessment and so would have to remain as a crossing keeper and my contact who is in the know as it’s their job to know is keeping all information close to their chest.
Are there any other solutions to vross keppees and during works and planning, at what stage are such risk assessments usually done??

Sunset route

Established Member
Are there any other solutions to vross keppees and during works and planning, at what stage are such risk assessments usually done??

I’m not sure when risk assessments are done or even if they are relooked at when it comes to things like this.

Solutions are easy, either the plans go ahead as designed, Seaford branch resignalling gets delayed until redesigned to include a crossing keeper or the newhaven boxes stay as they are.

This is assuming what I heard was correct. verifying and discarding the rumours is very hard on this scheme compared to others.

Last edited:

collexions

Commissioning previously planned for March 9th/10th 2019 has been deferred. A new date will be advised when known.
i.e. the full re-control of both Lewes & Newhaven to TB-ROC.

Status
Not open for further replies.