• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leystonstone

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
I'm thinking I already know the answer to this but...

Is Leytonstone High Road (LO) to Leytonstone (Central line) allowed as an interchange?

If it is (which I feel highly unlikely), how long do you have to make the walk?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you're using Oyster, it is allowed and you are given 20 minutes.

For paper tickets, I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

Be3G

Established Member
It definitely is on Oyster, with 20 minutes allowed between touching out and back in.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
MikeWh's excellent website confirms that there is a 20-minute OSI.

It is not an interchange station for a cross-London transfer.

Without knowing what type of ticket you are using, it is difficult to be more specific.

bicbasher

Established Member
I've tried Forest Hill to Leyton Midland Road as an example of a journey which could involve changing between Leytonstone Und and High Road. No restrictions are showing, but the SDR is a whopping £11!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I've tried Forest Hill to Leyton Midland Road as an example of a journey which could involve changing between Leytonstone Und and High Road. No restrictions are showing, but the SDR is a whopping £11!

How are you getting the itinerary to show changing at Leytonstone as I cannot get journey planners to show it?

bicbasher

Established Member
How are you getting the itinerary to show changing at Leytonstone as I cannot get journey planners to show it?

I used brfares.com with the usual paramters. Unless I did something wrong?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I used brfares.com with the usual paramters. Unless I did something wrong?

OK. I think I misunderstood. I thought you meant that you obtained an itinerary from one of the booking engines changing at Leytonstone LU and Leytonstone High Road NR.

duncanp

Established Member

Doing that journey on Oyster would only cost £2.30 for a peak time single and £1.50 for an off peak single. It probably assumes you are taking the Overground to Highbury & Islington, the tube to Blackhorse Road and then the Overground to Leyton Midland Road. But any route would be valid as long as you don't exceed the maximum journey time.

tractakid

If your connection's looking tight, I've run it in around 7 minutes, faster running can do it in maybe 5 or 6!

You quite possibly don't want to run, though. :P

W230

Established Member
If your connection's looking tight, I've run it in around 7 minutes, faster running can do it in maybe 5 or 6!

You quite possibly don't want to run, though. :P
I will if I have to! :lol:

Sorry about the delay in getting back, I didn't expect so many prompt replys!

I'm going from Blackhorse Road (well, TOM probably) - Fairlop. There's no GA service this weekend otherwise I would have gone TOM - Stratford, then up. I always prefer the train (instead of the bus option TFL journey planner suggests) if I can do the connection, no matter how random!

Edit: Hmmm...just had a thought. I think I could take my bike on this journey if I start from Blackhorse Road. Is the Central line is out in the open by the time it reaches Leytonstone? If so then bike should be fine...

Last edited:

Searle

Established Member
It's in the open at Leytonstone, but then goes back underground until Newbury Park. Fairlop is above ground too though :P I'm not sure what TFL's policy on bikes are though

IanD

Established Member
I will if I have to! :lol:

Sorry about the delay in getting back, I didn't expect so many prompt replys!

I'm going from Blackhorse Road (well, TOM probably) - Fairlop. There's no GA service this weekend otherwise I would have gone TOM - Stratford, then up. I always prefer the train (instead of the bus option TFL journey planner suggests) if I can do the connection, no matter how random!

Edit: Hmmm...just had a thought. I think I could take my bike on this journey if I start from Blackhorse Road. Is the Central line is out in the open by the time it reaches Leytonstone? If so then bike should be fine...

Is TOM getting his own ticket?

Could you start at South Tottenham rather than Tottenham Hale?

Be3G

Established Member
Might be useful: tube map showing where bicycles can be taken. (Note it is just for the tube and DLR, no Overground or other rail services.)

W230

Established Member
It's in the open at Leytonstone, but then goes back underground until Newbury Park. Fairlop is above ground too though :P I'm not sure what TFL's policy on bikes are though
You can take them on the tube (excluding DLR) outside rush hour as long as the tube is not deep level stock in a tunnel. I think. Sadly, as you highlight, the Central line goes back underground so not sure I could get away with it. Unless it's possible to go the long way round (ie - Leytonstone to Fairlop via Hainault?) but got a feeling that's only during rush hour.

Could you start at South Tottenham rather than Tottenham Hale?
I could, though, in the taking my bike along example i'd just start at Blackhorse Road as it's closer.

Might be useful: tube map showing where bicycles can be taken. (Note it is just for the tube and DLR, no Overground or other rail services.)
Thanks for that link. It is indeed useful but sadly shows what I didn't know - that the Central line plunges back into a tunnel for the short section I want to use!

Edit: Having looked again I think i'll just ditch the bike and use my feet.

Last edited:

Be3G

Established Member
Unless it's possible to go the long way round (ie - Leytonstone to Fairlop via Hainault?) but got a feeling that's only during rush hour.

The line from Woodford to Hainult is served every 20 minutes until about midnight, so your idea would be doable, but you'd need to change at Woodford.

Status
Not open for further replies.