• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Licenced' carrying capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM2

Established Member
Is there such a thing as a licenced, or permitted, capacity for a rail vehicle, as there is for buses?
I'm certain that there isn't but I want to have some documentary evidence before I wade into an argument :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, this crops up from time to time, and there isn't.

However if a Pendolino is carrying too much weight, the tilt will be deactivated (see overloaded carriages) which, depending on destination, could cause it to miss its path and be put onto slow lines to avoid delaying services behind. To avoid that situation, staff may ask passengers to leave the train (and/or re-distribute themselves among the coaches more evenly).

sprinterguy

Established Member
There are maximum seated and standing capacities for each different kind of rolling stock though, and overcrowding can be measured as "Passengers in excess of capacity" (PiXC), being the number of passengers above the total of these two figures combined.

There is also a minimum area of floor space per passenger that varies depending on the interior specification of the train type involved - Metro, suburban or long distance, that is used to set these maximum capacities.

I reckon that the PiXC measure is the closest that we have got to a maximum permitted capacity of train services over a given route, but it doesn't perform the same function as the maximum permitted loadings for buses.

Nym

Established Member

However if a Pendolino is carrying too much weight, the tilt will be deactivated (see overloaded carriages) which, depending on destination, could cause it to miss its path and be put onto slow lines to avoid delaying services behind. To avoid that situation, staff may ask passengers to leave the train (and/or re-distribute themselves among the coaches more evenly).

Free upgrades to 1st class for fat people?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

EM2

Established Member
There are maximum seated and standing capacities for each different kind of rolling stock though, and overcrowding can be measured as "Passengers in excess of capacity" (PiXC), being the number of passengers above the total of these two figures combined.

There is also a minimum area of floor space per passenger that varies depending on the interior specification of the train type involved - Metro, suburban or long distance, that is used to set these maximum capacities.

I reckon that the PiXC measure is the closest that we have got to a maximum permitted capacity of train services over a given route, but it doesn't perform the same function as the maximum permitted loadings for buses.

So there is a 'designed' capacity, for want of a better phrase, but no mechanism for regulating that capacity?

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Nym:1230885 said:

Free upgrades to 1st class for fat people?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

I'll take that

Status
Not open for further replies.