• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Likelihood of trainees required at Darlington for Northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twice blue

Exactly the same, on hold. Spoke to HR who were very helpful but not able to provide any further timeframes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MPVSCO

Twice blue... any news on a start date for you or have you just had the same email as me re. being an 'on hold' candidate?

Thanks

Kit/Twice...Things are moving along. I've had a phone call from Nthn HR and will attend a medical next week.

Last edited:

MPVSCO

Yes mate, start date of 22/8. Looking forward to it. I hope all falls well for you guys.

Kevied

Me and my colleague from Heaton are on hold too. It's so frustrating not being told what's happening behind the scenes but I've been told we're on hold, and she can't disclose any information about the amount of vacancies and/or the amount of people on hold. Apparently they're currently in the process of getting people to more courses now though. She also said to ignore any of the rumours because they've not come from HR. I do know there are 2, possibly 3 freight drivers on hold too though for the Darlington job(s).

Kit.Frank

Kevied- Is it Darlington you're on hold for too? There seems to be lots of us! Well done anyway.

MPVSCO- Great that you've got a start date :)

Thanks for the updates everyone... much appreciated.

Kevied

Kevied- Is it Darlington you're on hold for too? There seems to be lots of us! Well done anyway.

MPVSCO- Great that you've got a start date :)

Thanks for the updates everyone... much appreciated.

Seems to many of us to all get a start.

Yes, both my colleague and I are on hold for the Darlington depot and this was our thoughts too which is why I've pestered HR for more information but to no avail. I know two people are starting their courses this Monday. Guess all anyone of us can do is just wait and have our fingers crossed! Wish I could have come here with some good news like "they need 12 drivers" or some concrete information but unfortunately, as I said before the HR department are being very tight lipped about the whole situation and won't tell us anything more. They are, however, sorting through interviews and it's based on the interview score and the interview date (don't ask me what the interview date has to do with anything, but both me and my colleague have been told this is something they looked at). I asked the girl dealing with the Darlington jobs if it's a case of internal>external but she said it's not and at this stage it's purely a case of one persons interview score being higher than the next

Nick82

Yes, both my colleague and I are on hold for the Darlington depot and this was our thoughts too which is why I've pestered HR for more information but to no avail. I know two people are starting their courses this Monday. Guess all anyone of us can do is just wait and have our fingers crossed! Wish I could have come here with some good news like "they need 12 drivers" or some concrete information but unfortunately, as I said before the HR department are being very tight lipped about the whole situation and won't tell us anything more. They are, however, sorting through interviews and it's based on the interview score and the interview date (don't ask me what the interview date has to do with anything, but both me and my colleague have been told this is something they looked at). I asked the girl dealing with the Darlington jobs if it's a case of internal>external but she said it's not and at this stage it's purely a case of one persons interview score being higher than the next

Where did you get the 12 drivers figure from?

Kevied

Where did you get the 12 drivers figure from?

I said I'd like to come back with some solid info LIKE that but they never gave anything away. Nobody knows how many drivers they're after or how many people are on hold. HR haven't released any info

Fred Dinenage

What's with the sarcastic comment

No sarcasm intended, just levity...you seem to interrogate people and demand answers from them on here. And seem a bit desperate. For any job going. Exactly the reason " noobs " to the forum are viewed in a dim light by "old hands " who might otherwise offer relevant and helpful information to those looking to pursue a career in the rail industry.

No external applicants will be filling driving positions for this intake, ex-freight and internals will be, according to a reliable source.

Last edited:

Kit.Frank

No external applicants will be filling driving positions for this intake, ex-freight and internals will be, according to a reliable source.

Hi Fred. By that do you mean no externals will get the August/September courses and we'll be pushed back to courses further down the line, or do you mean successful externals' applications are just going to be cast aside indefinitely? Thank you for any info.

Kevied

Hi Fred. By that do you mean no externals will get the August/September courses and we'll be pushed back to courses further down the line, or do you mean successful externals' applications are just going to be cast aside indefinitely? Thank you for any info.

Hi Frank, just an update from me for you! My colleague at Heaton starts his course 22nd August. That course is now full, so if you haven't heard anything about the August course, you're not on it 100 percent. I rang HR and asked what the situation with my application was, and they're basically arranging people from certain interview days with the highest scores on each course. I was 17th June if I remember correctly, and a girl from HR told me they're trying to finalise my position for the September course and I should hear within the next week. I'm only assuming it'll be the same for everyone else who's on hold. If in doubt, give them a ring and ask of there's any progress on finding you a course, that's what I did and I'm just waiting for release from the depot and some signatures on the dotted line so to speak. Best of luck anyway!

Kit.Frank

Cheers Kevied for the update... appreciate it a lot. As an external applicant I'm starting to worry that my success at interview/assessment day is going to vanish into thin air! I'm considering ringing HR today but don't want a black mark next to my name for pestering them so much!

Cheers and hope you get confirmation for September soon.

Twice blue

E mailed recruitment today and got a similar reply to the on hold e mail. I had asked them if they could confirm my chances but haven't. The light at the end of the tunnel is dimming.

Kit.Frank

I've just spoken with a nice woman in HR. She seemed to be trying to be really helpful and didn't make me feel like a nuisance. She basically said that for people not assigned to the Aug/Sep courses, it's kind of a case of waiting for a driving seat to become available... as in through the company's expansion/someone else retiring or leaving etc. She obviously couldn't tell me how long the wait would be. I'd be happy waiting a year- I just want to know I'm definitely going to be given a place eventually! Will keep anyone interested updated if I hear more.

Bailos

Apologies for hijacking the Darlington thread

If it helps I contacted HR yesterday about 'on hold' successful candidates for Sheffield. I was advised interview results are valid for 9 months and assessments are valid for 5 years....they will try and get successful on hold candidates into courses back end of the year....supposedly courses are full..sigh....trying to keep myself preoccupied with plan B....would be nice to hear from anyone waiting for Sheffield course.

Good luck all.

Louby

Apologies for hijacking the Darlington thread

If it helps I contacted HR yesterday about 'on hold' successful candidates for Sheffield. I was advised interview results are valid for 9 months and assessments are valid for 5 years....they will try and get successful on hold candidates into courses back end of the year....supposedly courses are full..sigh....trying to keep myself preoccupied with plan B....would be nice to hear from anyone waiting for Sheffield course.

Good luck all.

My course finishes at man tomorrow, they are flat out as are Leeds, talks of hiring hotels etc but it's the trainers that they are short of, they have recruited I think 10 more or so , it's just manic at the min

Kevied

I've just had confirmation that the September course is on 19th September and that I'm on it. She said she's in the process of contacting people about it. I wouldn't worry too much if you don't hear today.

Kit.Frank

That's great news Kevied! Dead pleased for you. Bet you can't wait to get started. Hopefully it won't be too long for us externals!!

Congrats.

chaser

After a longer than expected wait I finally received an email from Northern on my application. They said that I'd passed the papersift for Darlington but due to a change in forecast for traincrew for the depot that they were no longer progressing applications past this stage.
I guess all successful internals received positions thus not requiring any external applicants. Frustrating when you put time and effort into making an application. I'm kept on file for a role that won't be recruited for in the near future.

Kit.Frank

After a longer than expected wait I finally received an email from Northern on my application. They said that I'd passed the papersift for Darlington but due to a change in forecast for traincrew for the depot that they were no longer progressing applications past this stage.
I guess all successful internals received positions thus not requiring any external applicants. Frustrating when you put time and effort into making an application. I'm kept on file for a role that won't be recruited for in the near future.

Sorry to hear that chaser. Did you ever get an interview then or was it just a 'no' after you'd submitted your online application? There are externals who successfully made it through the DM interview and assessment day, but I for one am yet to hear anything further after being informed I'm now 'on hold'.

Hopefully you live within the 45 minute travel time to somewhere like Newcastle for if any posts come up there.

chaser

The sift must have been graded as it says I passed it. How can you pass and not be invited to the next stage of not?

Kit.Frank

The sift must have been graded as it says I passed it. How can you pass and not be invited to the next stage of not?

I understand, I just wasn't sure if your email from them was in response to your initial online application or if you'd gotten further down the line and then been told they weren't going to progress you further. Good luck with your next application anyway... At least you know your initial application form is at a pass standard which is good.

Fred Dinenage

Frustrating when you put time and effort into making an application. I'm kept on file for a role that won't be recruited for in the near future.

It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately. Nothing happens as quickly as you'd like it to and goalposts often move! Keep plugging away and don't lose heart tho' :D

Kit.Frank

Hope the first week has gone well for all those who started the course for Darlington Monday! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.