Line closed between Larbert and Stirling

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by marks87, 26 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marks87

marks87 Established Member

A lot of disruption in Central Scotland this afternoon because of the above. Most services are terminating at Larbert or Falkirk Grahamston, with buses onward to Stirling and Dunblane, but the GLQ-ABD services are diverted and not calling at Stirling or Perth.

What would that diversion be? The only one I can think of right across to Edinburgh (Haymarket) and back out again through Fife, but that seems very roundabout.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Liam

Liam Established Member

Glasgow QS-Winchburgh-Dalmeny-Dundee probably.

4. route:oxford

route:oxford On Moderation

There is already one service a day between Glasgow and Kirkcaldy that routes via Winchburgh.

5. rail-britain

rail-britain Established Member

I remember when the line was flooded between Dunblane and Perth (but mainly just to the north of Gleneagles) for several weeks during the 1990s
    Services were diverted as above, via Winchburgh, over the Forth Rail Bridge, then the Tay Bridge, missing out Perth and thus no need to retime

I travelled on this a few times, operated by Class 158 at the time, and the service was very quiet
    There were also loads of announcements prior to departure it would only call at Dundee as first stop
    Quite a few people got off with seconds to spare!

6. crewmeal

crewmeal Member

What's happening to the sleeper tonight?

7. marks87

marks87 Established Member

Diverted via Ladybank, I'd imagine.

8. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

From the news report, the bridge is this one Looking at Streetview, it appears to have been hit a fair few times in the past.

9. route:oxford

route:oxford On Moderation

That's the one.

Nasty kink on approach to either side, and as you can see (with the approaching bus on streetview) it's a primary route for buses as well as LGVs

To be honest, looking at the pictures - I'd hate to be a cyclist or a pedestrian on that road - the sides of the bridge are only about knee height.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.